Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
asa805

Sudha Segara

Named after the primordial ocean of milk where Lord Vishnu reclines upon the thousand-headed Naga. Sweet milk and warm, healing ginger with a touch of golden honey and our blend of Ambrosia.

wow. love this.

milky, sugary, ginger-y. just the right combination of creamy, sweet, spicy at first, and then it fades to slightly sweet, slightly soapy, very clean. not getting any of the lemon mentioned in other reviews (which is good, cause i don't do well with citrus scents).

out of the bottle: sweet ginger

on skin, wet: sweet ginger and cream

on skin, dry: where did the creamy smell go? the ginger faded as well. i get an airy, soapy smell that isn't agreeing with me at all.

final thoughts: just not for me.

This one smelled great in the imp but didn’t work on me at all, sadly. There is some element in it that doesn’t agree with my skin or my nose, and ends up smelling very sharp and acrid on me. The same thing has happened with other sugar and honey scented things, like Fresh Brown Sugar and Demeter Sugar Cane. With mainstream products, I always thought it was the effect of a cheap ingredient, but now I think it must just be my skin chemistry. Sadly, it seems I am not destined to smell like sugar… I'll try this one as a room scent, I think.

Fresh ginger root.

Light honey that doesn't want to bite my nose off.

Very light milky-vanilla.

It makes me think of green tea.

A little soapy.

A lazy day or perhaps a good-girl day fragrance for me

Beautiful.

Vial: Milky with a bit of ginger.

Wet: Very milky with lots of ginger, which bites hard.

Dry: Milky & ginger. Zero sweetness from this. Wafts about quite a bit in the air, took me a few minutes to realize it was me. It behaves similar to Silk Road on me. Silk Road & Sudha Segara both share a milk note in them. I recognize it now, but before I tried this one I was able to figure out what that was. I probably wouldn't buy a big bottle of this, since I'd rather buy a bottle of Silk Road, which has that bit of spiciness that I prefer over the ginger's bite.

Hey, this one smells completely different from what I was expecting. :D

I was expecting a warm, sweet scent. Perfect for cold winters, BUT....This one turned out to be a summer scent: green and fresh.

It smells a bit citrussy, although there aren’t any citrus fruits in it. It’s not a real citrus smell, like lemon or orange, but it resembles it. The tea gives it a fresh scent.

It’s unlike any other fresh scent I’ve smelled, but I’m at the beginning of my BPAL experience, so I’m comparing to regular perfumes.

I think everyone should try this one out. at least once Nothing aquatic or lemon like, nor a herbal smell but it tends to smell a bit like that. Very different, but nice... :P

This one has me stumped!

I like it. I really like it, but I cannot for the life of me fathom what scents I can pick out. It all comes together to give a creamy spicyness. if I had to choose one I'd say ginger because it has that tingly smell that fresh and dried ginger have.

So ginger oatmeal it is then!

I love ginger and was really hoping for a strong but creamy ginger in this one (could they reformulate????hmmm????). I tried Sudha on different occasions and from different imps, just in case, but unfortunately I couldn't detect anything. It is so light and obviously my skin just eats it, so it's hard to smell at all. Tiny bit of sweet milk...so sad...I am very jealous of those that are finding it lovely. Sometimes I hate my nose.

Mmmm, I like me some Sudha Segara. It's milky, honey, gingery goodness in the imp, and on my skin. It's sweet but not sweeeeeeeet, and the milk and honey notes keeps the ginger from smelling antiseptic (which in my opinion fresh ginger does). I really do love this blend, but I couldn't tell you what it's like after hours of wear because it's my bedtime blend and it's usually worn off by morning (which is perfect so I can apply something else). Not that I would never wear this one in the light of day, I just find it sutch a soothing comforting blend that it's perfect for lulling me into dreamland, and as I only have an imp at the moment, I'm saving it for that purpose.

Preconceived notions - Ginger and honey, two of my favorite scents. This is one I am sure I will love.

In the bottle - an ethereal milk and honey scent. I adore this!

Wet - it's very faint, but I do get a honey scent along with something else, the ambrosia perhaps.

Dry - where did it go? This is such a pretty scent but as soon as it dries on me, it's gone.

I just wanted to note that I have now tried this three times, at different times of the month, and it makes no difference.

On the wickedgoddess scale of 1 to 5 (with 5 being the best) this rates a 2.

This was a lovely gift from the Lab, and to be honest I didn't think I'd like it... when I first received my order and sniffed the imp, I didn't smell anything. I guess my nose was over-taxed by smelling too many different things!

When I reopened the imp yesterday, it still didn't smell very strong at all - just the barest whiff of ginger - so combined with the clearness of the oil, I guess I had a preconceived notion that it would be really fleeting. However...

Initial application: Literally the second it touched my skin, it blossomed out into this lovely, bright, incredibly fresh ginger. Not gingerbread ginger; this is fresh ginger being grated.

After half an hour: As it settles in, the milky element starts coming out, almost like a milky ginger tea.

Over the day: The milk note only lasted an hour or so, after which it warmed up into fresh, slightly sugared ginger. It lasted far longer than I expected, going strong through the whole workday. This is a really invigorating, fresh, energetic kind of scent, and I like it far more than I'd expected!

This one was very lovely in the bottle. I can smell the honey and something even more sweet underneath.

Wet I get a hint of something more fruity. But after a couple of minutes it dies down...thank heavens.

Dry it smells milky but almost in a sour way. I guess this is one of the few scents that doesnt work on my skin.

Hello, ginger! Then there was ginger, ginger, and ginger. Then there was slightly sweeter ginger, with a little bit of a dusty honey smell of ginger. And spicy ginger!

If ginger is your thing, oh, this is so the scent for you. I like it well enough, and I'll keep the imp, but wow, that's some gingery ginger.

I was so eager for this scent. Gingery, milky, yumyumyum. Unfortunately, this had no staying power on me. It would vanish within minutes. *sigh* You win some, you lose some.

In the imp, this smells like lemon cake. When I put it on, all the sweetness disappears and I'm left with a sharp lemon smell that reminds me of Off or some mosquito spray.

It's only been a few minutes, but the scent is almost entirely gone. All I get now is the sour, rancid note that honey gives me.

I can see how this would be a lovely and fresh scent on someone who can wear honey, however.

In Bottle: Milk and ginger.

On Skin: The ginger is strongest. There is also a floral note… in the ambrosia? The milk makes it creamy and a little sour… but the honey is light and eventually sweetens it. A very unique “milk and honey” scent… not like anything else I’ve seen in commercial stores where milk and honey are hot right now. I like it, but wish it was a bit stronger with more staying power, my skin drank it up.

In the imp: almost straight ginger, perhaps with a little lemon. But without much ginger bite or heat. Interesting.

On: Oh, I'm in love! This is divine. Wonderful ginger, gentled by (I'm assuming) the milk and honey. Not really sweet, just light and smooth and gorgeous. I can't decide if it's a little too light -- I can hardly smell it on my wrist, but on the other hand it has great throw, so I'm constantly picking up little wafts of ginger when I move my head or arms.

This is the first blend of tried that really, really works for me. It's light, spicy, and just a little sweet -- I could see it as an everyday perfume, especially in the spring. It's stayed pretty true for... about four hours now.

YUM! :P

ADDED June 24:

I adore Sudha Segara.

On me it's gorgeous creamy light ginger, with just a touch of that lemony scent fresh ginger sometimes has. But it's not as juicy and sharp a ginger as, say Shub-Niggurath (which I'm crazy about) -- the milk softens it, and the honey creates a warm, just barely sweet muskiness.

This is a perfect everyday scent. My only complaint is that it's a bit too light; I often can't smell it on my wrist at all. (Maybe I should apply more heavily.) Still, even when that's so, I often catch whiffs of it in the air around me for hours after applying -- it has terrific throw.

Overall, Sudha Segara is fantastic.

Mmm, yum. I honestly adore this scent. I was a little skeptical on the wet, but dry, it's creamy, but spicy. Something I could wear everyday-like. It's very mild, and gentle, which is what I have been looking for, and found in Alice and now this scent. I can smell something like coconut shampoo, which I've always associated with showering with my sweetheart last summer :P

With 117 reviews, I doubt I'll be saying anything new here, but I can't resist...

OMFG, this is gorgeous!!! The ginger is clean, sharp, and spicy, yet there's a Snow Whitish creaminess underneath. This reminds me of some tea we have for upset stomachs--Ginger Aid. It's a little bitter on its own, so Brian adds hot milk and honey for a scrumptious chai effect. I think Beth had the same idea here, balancing the ginger with all this soft yumminess. :P

Sudha reminds me extremely much of Thymes Limited's Ginger Milk scent. I don't have any of that at the moment, so I will be layering this with my Skindazzles Gingered Honey Syrup body frosting--Sudha is much less sweet and more subtle, but they should play nice together. Since Dana O'Shee is inextricably associated with Lush Snowcake (and thus winter) for me, I am chuffed to have a gourmand scent for *summer*. This may be a bottle...

Edited by Shollin

In bottle: Cream and ambrosia? Ah, wait. It is rich thick cream blended with spicy ginger. Tasty - it makes me lick my lips.

On me: I can't really smell the honey. The ginger, softened and sweetened by cream and whatever 'ambrosia' is - I'm ashamed to admit I don't know how that would smell - is delightful. I expected this to be far more like Dana O'Shee - cream and honey dominating - but I really like this better. I love it when Beth's blends disagree with your imagination and surprise you like this!

When I read the description of Sudha Segara, I knew I had to try it...honey, ginger, cream...not so sure what this ambrosia note will small like, but honey, ginger, cream...oh my! I almost ordered a 5 ml unsniffed, so sure was I that I would adore this oil...

On first sniff, what a disappointment. I can barely smell anything in the bottle. Just...sweet, kinda spicy, but not anything to give it any oomph. So I try it on...all powder. Nothing really. It's is pleasant enough, but not special. I so wanted Sudha Segara to be special.

Then I tried it again, with a thicker application, and after swirling the oil a bit (I'm working from a half full imp from a swap, so YMMV) and...

MAGIC!!! :P

I can smell the ginger. I can smell the honey. I can smell something wonderful holding it all down and making it even more yummy and wonderful and not really foodie, but oh so much like some wonderful place where I can just float away for awhile.

Aaaahhh...

:D

Wow, Sudha Segara is one of my fave BPAL scents out of the maybe 40 (?) I've tried/sniffed.

In the bottle: Wet, fresh ginger with honey and orange?

When first applied: warm ginger and the sweetness of the milk and honey are coming out now. Gorgeous!

Drydown: unfortunately, this scent doesn't last long on me. It's like it works SO well with my body chemistry that after a while it just becomes a part of me and I can no longer smell it.

Bottom line: Sudha Segara is so perfectly balanced with its spicy/creamy/warm notes that it is my ultimate comfort/relaxation scent. I am going to experiment with making some body lotion of this to layer with, maybe I can make it last longer! So glad I bought a 10ml of this...:P

ETA: cuz I made typos... :D

Edited by Capriquarius

Oh, happiness :P. Sudha Segara is such a wonderful and beautiful scent.

Light creamy milky notes mixed with the sweet spice of ginger. That is all I get from this - no soap or citrus in there to mess it up. Just creamy sweet spicy goodness. :D

It is very light, I have to reapply about every 3 hours... but wow... it's just so good... I want to eat it.

From the imp, I'm detecting a milky almond-like smell combined with a hint of spice (maybe nutmeg). It’s light and food-y. A cozy kitchen scent for sure.

Once on my wrist, the ginger leaps out and says “Notice me too!”. It’s more of a gingersnap cookie scent to me, though, sticking to the original warmth I detected.

The oil is very light and my skin is definitely eating it up very fast. Some of the milkiness remains and my throat is tingling from all this sniffing! It reminds me a bit of the spice in Hamadryad, interestingly (one that emerges in one of the blend’s final stages) just with a more rounded quality to it.

It’s truly divine, just not for me. I know the perfect friend to pass it on to, though, so I’m sure it will find a loving home.

Review Sudha Segura

Bottle (Imp): I can barely smell this one. I guess trying it out after cleaning out the back shed of 54 pounds of dust was a bad idea. 2nd Try: It's still a pretty faint scent to my nose. I can just barely pick up a whiff of it. Smells a bit like gingered milk to me.

Just On: Smells like there is a little bit of wood here, but it's very very faint. This will have to be tried another time. 2nd Try: All I get is a bit of gingered milk on my skin. This seems like it isn't going to do much on me, except disappear very quickly.

An hour or two later: There's the barest hint of wood, and that's all that's left. It's extremely faded. 2nd Try: It smells a bit like wood, not a terribly nice wood, but just kinda wood.

Around 6 hours: Gone, gone, gone. 2nd Try: A faint hint of wood. Not much else though.

12 hours: Of course, still gone. 2nd Try: Totally gone now.

Overall: If I can smell it, I might like it. 2nd Try: I like it, but since it isn't very strong, I don't know if I'll use it. I'll try it again and see how it goes then.

After reading other reviews: This is a heartbreaker, because I think I'd really love it, if I could just SMELL it!