Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
asa805

Sudha Segara

Named after the primordial ocean of milk where Lord Vishnu reclines upon the thousand-headed Naga. Sweet milk and warm, healing ginger with a touch of golden honey and our blend of Ambrosia.

Sudha Segara is one of my favorites - maybe one of my top 3 even - definitely one that had me at hello. I went from one imp to buying a 5 ml on ebay to ordering a 10 ml and I really would shower in this if I could. I love the spicy ginger, the creamy milk and sweet honey, and there is never a moment that I find a note has turned on me or that I get a whiff of something odd.

Being a lighter frangrance, Sudha Segara does seem to fade as most all its fans have previously noted. I made a purse-sized spray with a little of the Body Time perfume and cologne base, and I take that or an imp with me on days I'm wearing this so I can add a little more fragrance during the day. Other blends might not be worth the extra trouble but this one definitely is. I just love it so...

Sudha Segara reminded me a lot of Alice.

The creamy/milky phase did not last long on my skin and soon turned into a spicy floral instead of the sweet scent I was expecting.

The ginger was never biting and perfectly balanced out the sweet and sour notes of the honey and the milk.

Sudha Segara is like an improved version of Alice on me, since I love ginger but I am not a huge fan of carnation. It is very well balanced, to the point that I couldn't really classify it as sweet, floral or spicy. It is a little of each. A definite keeper :P

Hi, I am not great at the reviews, but had to give it a try.

Oh my goodness, this is stunning. It somehow smells so creamy warm and comforting. For the Lush fans this is very much like Hot Milk, in that it is a hug in a bottle.

I just couldn't stop sniffing myself and found the scent very warming and realxing *that is probably the mailk and ginger*

It could almost be a bedtime drink to snuggle yup with- this is definately a keeper.

Sudha Segara has been living in my purse almost since I got it.

Definately on the shortlist of favorites, and yes, I did order a 5ml.

On me, this is a gentle, clean, warm scent.

Incredibly comforting, like cocooning in warm towels from the dryer on a chilly, but sunny day.

No one note really stands out - this is very balanced on me. The ginger has more of a cooked scent to it than raw - not sure why that is, but since I like the smell of cooked ginger as much as I like the raw (I've been known to rub the cut-off ends of a piece of ginger on my wrists when I'm cooking), I'm certainly not going to complain.

I was so excited by the description of this - it sounded, well, perfect.

But I have to agree almost exactly with Nephys' review way back on page 1.

"This does not smell at ALL like I was expecting; I thought it would be softer and milkier and sweeter. Instead on me it's a sharp spicey ginger with an edge of something green"

My sentiments exactly. And I really like ginger too - it's just that this isn't the scent I was looking for.

And it fades away to almost nothing on me extremely quickly.

I gave it to my sister and it seems to work much better for her.

(ETA: I just got another imp of this - many months later because I wanted to try it again. It could be the warmer weather, or a different batch of Sudha, but I definitely get more of the milky component. Overall - soft, milky, a touch of fresh ginger. It layers really with Matilda Maze Menagerie products in Ginger Milk.)

Edited by wolfie13

After Dana O Shee (sp??) I was a little worried about the milk notes...but, so far this has proven to be a rather delightful scent.

I honestly cannot pick out any of the notes, serious scent-singling suckage on my part. :P

This was sweet in the imp and although it didn't scream out as anything I would be interested in, I gave it a shot anyway. Immediately the oil morphed ever so slightly on my skin to something a little nicer than the imp, so I swabbed a little more on my neck and chest (that only happens when I know a scent isn't going to gross me out - immediately anyway. otherwise they stick to my wrists). This is now going on....hour 5? I'm muchly pleased so far with this scent. It's very subtle; yet sweet, warm, and comforting all at the same time. This is exactly what I was expecting Dana O Shee to be.

I can't actually pick out the scent unless a touch wafts up near my nose...and even then it's so well-meshed with my skin (damn I'm loving the scents that meld with my skin instead of sitting on top) that I have to really pay attention to realize that it's not me or some shampoo or soap; but Sudha Segara. :D All in all, a very fine imp I'll enjoy using up and hopefully purchase a larger bottle of later.

The milk and honey went down beautifully.... but then I smelled a very sharp and raspy note and it turned out to be ginger. It's wonderful had I discovered it before discovering O! :P I wish Sudha Segara would last a bit longer.. it's wonderful for a stay-at-home-while-it's-snowing day. Not quite orgasmic but it comes rather close.

In the Bottle: Bright ginger. Have I mentioned how much I adore ginger? Mmm...want sushi now.

On Me: Ginger and honey! Oh MY GOSH! Love it, love it, LOVE IT! The honey is coming out quite stong on me, and its a golden yellow color, a bright, sunny, and cheerful scent that is really invigorating! The ginger is in the background is absolutely scrumptious! My stomach is really growling over it! Must get a big bottle of this one!

The overall feelings I get from this are dry, light and warm.

It reminds me of being little and curling up in this corner of our living room, between the radiator and the wall, with a book after coming in from the rain.

If I really concentrate, I can smell the ginger and a hint of something sweet.

It's very comforting, the smell of warmth and safety. It's very light on me -- I have to really sniff my wrists to smell it. But then soothing things aren't usually all up in your face, are they? Not the type of thing I'd feel like wearing everyday, but very nice nonetheless.

Edited by Ariella

i first mistook the ginger for lime, and i love lime, so it was no big deal. i get the same "oats" note i get in dana o'shee, plus the ginger. it reminds me so much of this white tahitian ginger spray i used to have until it dries down to a milky, exotic citrus smell.

In the vial: Mostly citrusy...

On my skin: Citrus with a hint of something sweet...

1 hour later: Honey, Oats and a touch of citrus, ginger maybe?

Final verdict: I like this scent, but it isn't one of my favorites. It is a very soft and comforting scent.

FIRST SNIFF - green and pretty.

WEARING IT - clean and happy. this scent is all about the ginger and milk to me. it is SO nice. nothing really peeks out more than the others, it’s a happy marriage of all the ingredients, and they work so well together. it’s calming, refreshing, clean and beautiful. sparkling almost. i really love that the ginger isn't overbearing, it's blended so well.

VERDICT - i’ll be buying a bigger bottle.

This one turned out nothing like I expected it to be. A sniff of the imp was the sharp lemony spice I associate with ginger. When I dabbed some on my wrist, the sharp lemonyness subsided, leaving a more pure ginger-the-spice scent. However, it took on an austere, almost antiseptic quality. No milk, honey, or anything remotely along those lines.

I like spice, but this one is too dry and harsh for me. I might try it again in a week or so... I really wanted to like this one. If it remains the same, off to the swap pile it goes.

Fyre - mine did too actually, have an antiseptic smell - in fact, after as few minutes, I smelled a familiar smell. All of a sudden, it dawned on me. It smells, to me, like GOLD BOND powder, which my dad used for years - I swear it's almost the same scent!!! I kept wondering, where's the sweet milk and ginger? Glad I saw your review or I'd think I was cuckoo. :P

This is a lovely, creamy citrus blend. It is very soft. It is a bit like Origins Ginger line-but not as spicy. This is a perfect daytime blend.

I'm not a ginger fan, and scents heavy on the ginger (Siren) are just not for me. Even knowing this, I took a chance on Suda Segara - that's the spelling on my bottle - with high hopes for the mellowing effect of the milk, honey, and ambrosia.

Much to my surprise, they did just that. While I can't actually smell milk and honey individually, this is a fresh scent with a moderate edge to it; it's creamy and soft at the same time that it has a bit of bite to it. I have no idea what ambrosia is, but I wonder if something in that note has a hint of white wine in it.

Halfway through the drydown, I got very excited - for five minutes or so, Sudha Segara smelled like one of my favorite commercial scents, Botrytis, which is very autumnal and has notes of honey, candied fruits, quince, and white wine. I was soooo excited, because I'd rather wear one of Beth's amazing scents than anything else out there.

Before long, though, Sudha Segara moved past this stage and into a warm, comforting honey lotion-ish smell. There's a little edge to this, but no bite left. It's nice, in a "slather-yourself-with-foody-lotion-and-head-to-bed" sort of way.

Unfortunately, that's just not what I'm looking for in my scents.

Sudha Segara has some great moments to it, and even the ones that aren't amazing are still nice. The scent has good staying power, moderate intensity that isn't overwhelming, and a warmth reminiscent of snuggling under the covers on a cold fall morning. If you like gently foody scents, comfort scents, or honey, you're in for a treat. Even those who aren't fans of ginger will probably enjoy how subtly it enhances the other notes in this scent.

This is one of my new favorites! It's so warm, creamy, and fresh smelling. I wasn't sure if I'd like it because none of the other blends with honey have worked for me, but the honey in this blend is not strong at all. Ginger is one of my favorite notes though, and the pepper/spice of it is softened by the milk and sweetened by the honey. Perfection.

This reminds me a lot of B&B White Ginger and Amber, but without the icky alcohol smell I get out of B&B products. This scent is so smooth and yummy, and I've made a lotion with it that is perfect right out of the shower. Any_old_actress described this as "happy and clean" and that's such a great description!! I completely agree.

ETA: Got a 5mL of this one. Love it.

Edited by Theravada

In the bottle, I thought Sudha Segara smelled like a less sweet version of Embalming Fluid. On, wet, I still get Embalming Fluid but it's also starting to smell more sweet than it did in the bottle. After it dried the lemon smell disappeared and it did smell softer and more gingery. Unfortunately, it was a little too sweet for me. It faded fast but hung around just long enough to give me aching sinuses (occasionally perfume seems to do that to me). Overall, shortlived (honey scents vanish on my skin) and too sweet for me, not one I'll be buying again.

Edited, revised review 31st October 2005: I'm having a cleaarout and Sudha Segara was one of the bottles pulled from the box for retesting before swapping. There's no way this is going anywhere. I love it. It is still almost too sweet for me, but it's also really comforting in this autumnal gloom. I think Glitzie's review was spot on. I adore this now. I don't know if it's the bottle aging, my tastes that have changed or whether it's just so right for the time of year but I adore it. I can't stop sniffing my wrists!

Edited by leapylees

hmmmm

in the vila: ginger aneseptic.

wet: ginger...

dry: becomes somewhat creamier, it is a very light clean smell, a clean warm after noon breeze. not exactly what I usually wear but not bad.

I got a full 5 ml bottle of this from Cinder. Thank you so much for that HUGE package, I'll make it up to you! :P

It's good I got a bottle of this, because this blend is totally in my comfort zone, and very light too so I can see some slathering going on.

it's lovely. The ginger note in this is soft, and not sweet, but something else sweetens it up just a touch to make it glow. Really, a soft warm glow. My color association for it is a pale shimmering gold. This would be my casual days perfume. Gorgeous!

This is a very clean scent. I was expecting something creamier and more decadent..but this the kind of scent you'd use in bath products. Starts out rather citrus-y, green, and definitely ginger-y but gets slightly creamier as time goes on. It is slightly reminiscent of Alice, but not too much (Alice didn't make me think of bath products.) I think I'll end up making a lotion out of this one. Or at least store it away for summer.

In the imp: Honeyed ginger warm and sweet with a slight midground of creaminess( I think that's the milk)

On me- swiped on wrist, wet: Honeyed ginger, slightly sharp with a hint of milk underneath

drydown 5 minutes: ginger is still the most pronounced note, but it's becoming more creamy/milky and the honey is turning this into an elegant spicy floral.... VERY NICE!!! I really wish I wasn't typing... The fragrance is rubbing off on my keyboard a little.... This is so elegant and exotic, I can definitely see a queen wearing a scent like this, it's regal... It's beautiful and it lasts too! I think this is tied with Sugar Skull, and Samhain for the most staying power on me.... Also a great scent to make you care how you look, you cant wear sweats when you have this on... It makes you want to be elegant and well put together.

Final thoughts: Beautiful!!!! Gorgeous, and healing... Must have a 10 ml of this.

:P

ETA: I keep sniffing looking for the foodiness other people have mentioned, it isn't there.... On me this is decidedly un-foody and sophisticated.

ETA2: THIS IS FABULOUS LAYERED WITH "SUGAR SKULL"

Edited by Shollin

In the vial: Slightly creamy ginger. yup.

On: Yup. definitely ginger. This one is definitely light. I have to get my nose right up next to my wrist to smell it, but it's definitely ginger. I was hoping for creamy goodness, but nope. I ain't got it. :P

Verdict: It's not a bad scent. I'll probably give it another go in warm weather, but it's not was I was hoping for. I've been mostly lucky, but you can't win them all, I guess.

Sudha Segara

I :P this when it's freshly applied, it's rich, milky and creamy with a slight hint of ginger - perfect. However, not long after I get an extremely 'green' note and the ginger seems rather harsh (much like Kumiho). The greeness does lessen soon after but the ginger is still rather fierce.

SS seems to morph between these two extremes from then on. I by no means dislike the harsher phase but it stops me from being completely besotted with it. On the plus side the staying power is very impressive. I can still smell it strongly after ten hours!