Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
asa805

Sudha Segara

Named after the primordial ocean of milk where Lord Vishnu reclines upon the thousand-headed Naga. Sweet milk and warm, healing ginger with a touch of golden honey and our blend of Ambrosia.

In the bottle
Warm and soothing

Wet on skin
I get the milk and the honey, and a hint of ginger

Drydown
Disappointingly, the ginger turns to lemon. It's not unpleasant, but I'd prefer the ginger

Finish
Soft, comforting skin scent.

Wearlength
A few hours

Throw
Close to the skin

Mood
I wore this on a day when I was thick with a cold, and it was indeed warm, snuggly and comforting, a creamy lemon and honey toddy.

Verdict
It's a bit light for me, though I may keep the imp and give it another try one day when I'm not so thick with cold.

The first time I tried this it was very, very faint. I got a teeny bit of orange, slightly candied, slightly sharp. That's it. The second time, it was less faint but no more impressive. First it was heavily floral, then switched to something sharp (is that supposed to be the ginger? Bpal ginger never seems to work for me) and vaguely citrus. Very girlish. Warm, and floral, and slightly orange. Eh.

I thought this would be on the heavy side but it's quite light and pretty--smells like gingered tea on me, almost, although I wonder if the milk note isn't what's putting tea in my head. It's sweet but not cloying and doesn't seem to have the OMG! ginger! throw that some blends do.

I expected this to smell completely different than what it did/does smell like, which is milky ginger with maybe a hint of honey. Since my skin usually amps honey, the absence of said amping was a surprise. I can't really detect anything else to it. The ginger just seems to take over and be too much. If I were to describe the scent as a colour, it's a milky-white-green-gold; the ginger imparts a citrus tone somehow. Or maybe that's the Ambrosia? But what the hell does Ambrosia smell like, anyway? My personal "food of the gods" would smell like a box of Bernard Callebaut chocolates.

So... I don't think this is a me-scent. It smells nice, but it's too bright/green for me to want to wear more than once in a while.

Edit, Nov 12/08: I really needed a wake-me-up-and-keep-me-awake sort of blend this morning, so I went rooting through my stash and sniffed this one again. Suddenly, I love it? It smells different to me this time, the ginger keeps itself in check and it's just a beautiful sweet milky ginger with something else (probably the mysterious Ambrosia). Personal lesson learned? Mood and hormones greatly affect one's taste! I slathered this all over myself and put it in a scent locket as well; the scent locket still smells (faintly), but my skin ate it up within an hour.

Edited by obsidienne

I've meant to try this for quite a while, and finally discovered the frimp this afternoon. Sudha Segara... a very lovely scent and one that will make--and has already made--me reconsider my position that ginger gives me headaches.

Going on the skin, this is a lightweight, gingery, tart, green and subtle scent. I almost can't smell it at all. As it dries down, it vanishes even more (I apply a little more so that I can actually have something to review).

This is a clean, light, sweet but tart scent. The ginger doesn't take over, smoothed as it is by the milk. (Or erased by the milk, as milk seems to do with my chemistry... this same vanishing act happened with me and Dana O'Shee, too.)

I think I may keep this one around, though, as a scent for sleeping... these lightweight ones are really soothing for nighttime.

Ah, one of my favorite scents...it manages to be spicy, fresh, and warm all at the same kind, like a cup of very milky ginger tea. The throw is fairly light and it doesn't last long on me, but that just means I have an excuse to put on more later! Excellent.

In the imp: Reeeeeally light. I can barely smell anything, but it is sweet - honey and ginger. But really very light.

Wet: Something almost... citrusy? Huh. I'll take that as the ginger. I get the honey and sweet milk too. The ginger isn't spicy at all. There's a tart note in here as well that just baffles me. A very unique scent, and not what I was expecting, but it IS addictingly comforting. Soft and gentle and nurturing. Snuggly. Mmmm... Yeah, very light and subtle, but sniffing it is like being wrapped in an old, soft blanket and dozing on the couch in front of the fire. Slow, sweet, comforting. Wonderful.

Dry: Very much a skin scent, and one that I want someone close to me to smell on me. This smells of warm, freshly bathed young children, of snuggling with your mother on Sunday morning in her bed, even though you're too old to do so anymore, of walking through the door of your childhood home after being away for a long time, of the welcoming arms of the familial bosom. This smells of FAMILY. I need a bottle.

This was a very very light blend on me, I really had to slather it to get any scent whatsoever. The milk and ginger combined to form a tea-like scent on me. I really have trouble with tea scents and wearing them. I don't know why. The ginger isn't overpowering on me in the slightest. I'm left feeling kind of indifferent to this blend.

Initial impression:

Yum – milk, honey and a touch of spice.

First on:

Milk with a touch of honey and a tiny hint of ginger.

Dry:

After about 10 mins, this is a spicy ginger scent softened by creamy milk. It's delicious and warming.

Finally:

I loved this! Keeping, at least for now.

Mmmm...this is nice. It smells like there might be a little almond in there. If there was a divine sea of milk, it would totally smell like this!!

Edited by pinkpoodle

Really light and weak on me... I applied it generously and it still disappeared within half an hour! I tried twice and had no luck. A bright, fresh ginger sweetened by a dab of honey and softened further by a creamy, milky scent. Warm and gentle. Nothing revolutionary. It is pretty, but my skin ate it.

Very light -- the ginger is lovely in this one, and I'm not generally a fan of ginger -- I'm not really getting honey, more like beeswax, but it's very nice and warm. There's something vaguely floral here, although maybe it's just some of the sharpness from the ginger playing games with my nose. Probably not something I need a bottle of any time soon, but it's fresh and comforting.

Sudha Segara is almost but not quite enough to trigger a nausea reaction for me. I'm playing safe and avoiding it. It's the combination of ginger-hot, crystallized ginger sweet, dissolved thoroughly in sweet and creamy milk. Somehow, these food ingredients just should not go together.

--And now that I think about it, I feel the same way toward thai coconut curries, milk-cream spicy at the same time, but also oily from any prior cooking of the meat and vegetables....

Maybe because ginger is used to make the main dish taste more fresh/less fatty in Korean cooking, and the cream quality of Sudha Segara sharply negates all of my experiences with eating food containing ginger, which is mostly meat/savory items. This is PLUS the fact that the non-cultural honey/milk introduces a clashing dessert quality that mixes up all the food courses into a grab-bag of sick-inducing for me.

...good to figure this one out.

But uh. If you're not me, it's actually a pretty mild scent, the mildness of it along the scale of Dana O'Shee. Ginger milk tea quality about it.

Edited by cinderfallen

A frimp from the lab, I've been mean to try this for a while, and glad that Beth threw it in! Hooray!

In the imp: I get a very green ginger smell, with maybe a hint of the cream. I like it, it's pretty sharp. I had thought that it was going to be super creamy and sweet, but it's not. It's got a hell of a bite to it.

On me: OMG love. It's light, which is always good (I work very closely with people who have scent allergies). I also love ginger. This has that lovely bite of ginger, but it's sweet and creamy without being cloying. It smells like the honey at the bottom of the mug in my ginger tea, like when it doesn't get dissolved all the way. Whether I get a bottle of this is going to depend on some other factors, but this is exactly what I love, and even better than I expected.

In the imp: Like Embaling Fluid, Alice, and Baobhan Sith mixed together. Musky, plastic lemon and ginger. I don't know what to think of it. I was expecting (hoping for) more honey. It's milky ginger.

Wet: Alice with lemon in it. I don't really like Alice. I think I just don't really like milk. Even in White Rabbit the milk bothers me and it's one of my favorites. It's sweet musky plastic. The more it dries, the less I like it.

Dry: Doesn't really change.

Overall: I like it and I don't like it. Half the notes I don't like, but the other half, the lemon and gonger make Sudha Segara likable for me. I'll wear my imp. But I was really hoping for the honey that never came. And honey amps on my skin and here, nothing. A bit of a dissapointment, but I'll finish the imp.

Edited by Caerphilly

This is gorgeous this stuff. But at the same time the throw dissapoints me majorly! :(

This is very different to alot of BPAL oils and I was expecting the labs "Milk" note as in Milk Moon and the like. No siree this is not that note at all. It's effing gorgeous. There used to be a lush bath bomb that is now discontinued and I can't remember for the life of me what it was called. It was white and it foamed instead of fizzed and it had Pettigrain in it! This oil smells like that. YUM!!!

I would slather myself in this if I had a 5 ml but the throw isn't enough to warrant it.

It's smooth, creamy with a slight something behind that doesn't smell like ginger to me, it's a teensy bit floral. It smells strangely plastic too but in a good way and I'm loving it!

The creaminess fades after a while and the note that was lurking has come forward...god knows what it is but it's nice. It's slightly fizzy...maybe floral..this is driving me mad!

This is one of those hard to describe oils..but it's amazing. So different and odd smelling but gorgeous all at the same time!

Sudha Segara

In the Imp: sweet, light and yummy (I'll come to regret that middle part soon)

wet: ooooh!! a mellow sweetness that soothes my nerves a bit...niiiiiiiiiiiice.

dry: AH! Milk. just the right amount of honey (so it doesn't smell like a kama sutra dusting powder) and a touch of ginger to warm....3 of my favorite things....

Time Lapse 1 hour: oh no....it's so much lighter....

Time Lapse 2 hours: where the heck did it GO??? I LOVE THIS AND IT LEFT ME!!! I NEED A SUPPORT GROUP!!!

Verdict: This is my first coveted bpal fragrance. I really wanted to be atypical and find something really unique to love (like that Jezirat al Tennyn or something equally as freakish) but alas, this is my first love. But like a bad bad boyfriend, it just doesn't want to stay with me for long.....what to do......

This is so sophisticated!

On me, it's a beautiful light creamy ginger. Very warm and inoffensive (or is it unoffensive? uh oh). Definitely something that could easily be worn to work. I might get a bottle of this for my aunt, as she loves this type of scent. It seems like the kind of fragrance that would be very soothing before bed. Yum.

Out of 10: 8

Edited by revinn

Inside the imp, sweet and a bit citrusy to my nose.

Wet on the skin, milk & honey and something else....maybe the ambrosia? And a bit of lemon in the background.

Dries down to nearly the same scent on my skin, just lighter.

Imp: Soft ginger oil.

Wet: I get the creaminess from the milk and honey combo and a touch of warm ginger.

Dry: The ginger goes lemony and this winds up a very soft, skin close sort of citrus scent. It's pretty. Not exactly what I was expecting but I definitely see why people always cite this one as a comforting scent.

Throw: Mild.

Overall: I like it. It seems like something I may want to upgrade to a big bottle for just so I can wear it around the house at night and sleep in it.

The ginger definitely goes lemon for me as well, which is a bit of a shame. It's a lovely blend, though--the only milk blend I've tried that hasn't gone sour on me. Honey and I nearly always play well together, so this is not surprising.

It's a very clean, light scent--unconventional enough to be interesting, but conventional enough you could wear it to, say, a job interview. The word I keep wanting to use is "pretty."

As this dries down, on my skin at least, it becomes very difficult to pick out individual notes. It's just a creamy-yellow, pale sort of scent that sticks close to the skin--throw is minimal and very light.

I can't wait to try this as a room scent, or to dab some on my pillows.

On the skin: Wow, I am getting a lot of creamy lemon from this one. Must be the ginger in disguise. It is very light. I am not sure how I feel about this one yet.... Very unobtrusive.

Deliciously warm and creamy, loving all the notes in this one. The milk and honey dominate the scent on initial application, then the ginger becomes stronger on the drydown, and lingers longer than the creamy notes. I love this scent, but sadly, it does not stick around for long, not even an hour.

Warm, sultry ginger and honey with something ever so slightly skin-musky. I don't get milk or cream, which is great because I don't like milk or cream notes.

But it's so FAINT. I would love this if I could freakin' smell it half the time. This is the only BPAL blend I've had that issue with, but not only does my skin seem to eat it but it takes tons and tons to scent anything else: usually a hot bath will bring out the shyest notes, but it takes a whole imp to scent one bath to where I can faintly, barely smell it :( Oh Sudha Segara, why must you be so shy?