Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!

Whispering.
Lily of the valley, tea rose, orris, ambergris, and plumeria.

A very ethereal blend. The lily of the valley makes this an airy floral with just a breath of roses in the background. There is something almost lemony in the background.

A sweet, light white floral. The plumeria, I think, gives it a slight touch of fruitiness and adds some fullness to the overall scent. Unfortunately, after about five minutes wear it goes soapy. :cry: Another Ode to test in the locket.

It starts out strong, with the Tea Rose, Lily of the Valley and Plumeria in a BIG, HUGE, FAT BOUQUET. No, I don't think that is redundant. Not here, at least.

Then it suddenly recedes, and I know the ambergris has arrived. However, since it started out as strong as it did, I think this one might put up a fight before vanishing like other blends with ambergris tend to do on me.

It is very, very, VERY floral. So far, everyone else is saying light and ethereal, and mine is powerful, almost heady.

Yeah, the flowers are putting up a fight. I'll give it an hour and see who comes out on top.

In the imp: floral that's a bit green and spicy

Wet: all tea rose and lily of the valley. the two flip back and forth over top note.

Dry: all floral, all the time. lily, tea rose and plumeria are in a cage match to the death. poor orris and ambergris never made it to the arena. this one has a lot of throw and only a little is needed, so take it easy on slaterhing!

I'm not one to normally say this, but it's way too much floral for me. tea rose, lily and plumeria are florals that don't joke around.

Edit: 18min after I posted this, it's turned into french milled rose soap.

Edited by Shollin
Removed Lab description --Shollin

The plumeria was very aggressive on the wet stage, overpowering everything. After that I got the lilies, a bit I think, but then the ambergris went powdery.

It also had a strange 'clean' sort of feel to it, but mainly it was very plumeria on me. Ah well.

At first this is a very white, glowing all-floral blend. But then it warms up, and the lily is in the forefront. I can also smell faintly woody herbs (orris?). Pretty and clean, and not a bit soapy on my skin. Very nice.

I'm not one to normally say this, but it's way too much floral for me. tea rose, lily and plumeria are florals that don't joke around.

Edit: 18min after I posted this, it's turned into french milled rose soap.

What she said.

In the bottle, this smells like my perfume hell. It's loads of sharp, perfumey floral and musky ambergris. I can smell the sweet tea rose in there as well. I like tea rose, but not when it's paired with sharp florals and musk. It's just way too much for me.

On me, the plumeria goes soapy and the rose amps up into a perfumey, musky mess. It's like rose soap paired with a sharp, musky perfume.

I can't wear this one. It's too sharp, too floral, too soapy, and too musky. It's one of those blends that winds up feeling very suffocating & heavy to me.

It's that damn plumeria. I knew when I saw plumeria in the desciption that it could be a problem, but the other notes are soooo perfect! Natch the blend of all the florals was horrid on my skin. It smelled like Playtex Gentle Glide Deodorant Tampons. The kind I used back when I was in high school. TMI? Maybe. :blink:

I was really hoping this would TAME DOWN over time, but sadly it hung on with a vengence.

ADDED March 21:

I don't like this, it smells like rose soap. Kind of old fashioned for me.

Huh, you know what's taking over this blend for me? The ambergris.

I was excited when I smelled this in the imp, because, although it's similar in notes to a number of other blends I have (Madame Tracey, Marie...) it definitely didn't smell identical. The plumeria had an over-riding fruitiness to it, and I think after that the tea rose played a calm second.

On my skin, then, I got this sense of oil. And nothing else. Well, that would be the ambergris. Yeah, there's definitely something green about it-- and almost swampy. Yes, I know that sounds very odd, but my experience is that swamp water smells sweet. And oily.

I think I'm going to have to try this in the scent locket, I'm just not ready to give up on it yet.

Put me down as someone else who got the 'milled French soap' drydown. And when it was wet, it was too many flowers, beating me on the head. (But not as much as Pele...) Pity -- I was hoping for something a bit more spicy from the description...

Hmmm. While it's pretty, Lily of the Valley and tea rose are the dominating notes, and for some reason I can't detect anything else.

I can't see myself wearing this blend too often, and all I can sum up is that it is pretty, but not earth shattering gorgeous that would require more than a decant. I was really hoping plumeria and ambergris would shine through, but the LoV and tea rose own this blend.

Sniffed in imp: Bright yellow oil. Heady, soapy flowers. Orris and lily of the valley jump out. Rose is faint, and ambergris is the soapy sort.

Those strong floral notes really dislike me and I know this would be even more of a soapy, overpowering mess on my skin, so no desire to try it out. Ethereal and fruity? I wish. :(

Edited by fairnymph

I'm getting lemon scent on my skin with this blend as well. This has happened with several of the Aphrodite scents. Thank goodness I love lemon. Beyond that, the plumeria and lily are the most dominant notes, though I do detect the tea rose very faintly on my skin. As it dries the lemon scent did disappear and I'm left with just that fruity floral scent others have described. Quite lovely.

Sniffed in imp: the lily of the valley and plumeria smacked me in the nose. Florals of this magnitude do not work on me, so I'm not even trying this.

In the Bottle: Floral and very sweet. Nearly too sweet for me. I think it is the plumeria on crack. Or the Lily of the Valley. There is a bit of a soapy smell in the background. Reminds me of my Great-Grandmother Ruth.

On me, Wet: Tea Rose steps up and takes a bow, the plumeria is in the background clapping for the tea rose.

Dry: Heavy on the tea rose and getting soapy. I think it is the lily of the valley that may be making that to happen. After a couple hours, the plumeria is very noticeable, but with a hint of something else (orris?) helping it and enhancing it. It is very mellow now.

Feelings: Not bad, a little too much for me. It was super sweet all through.

Rating: 3.5

1-5

1 being "Never again"

5 being "I am buying in bulk!"

I once had a lily-of-the-valley scented doll. That's the first thing I get, and then the rose jumps in quickly. Then I get something green and wet. I'm left with a nice floral, and the plumeria has made an appearance.

In the vial: Tangy floral with lily of the valley and plumeria dominating.

Wet: More rose than anything else, with a pleasant almost citrusy tang that I think is the plumeria.

45 minutes: The plumeria is the most noticeable in what has suddenly become a very subtle blend. There are hints of ambergris, but the orris seems to be darkening the plumeria away from its usual slightly headachy top note. Very interesting!

Two hours: Very light, with a trace of plumeria.

Normally plumeria and lily of the valley don't disappear on me like that. I blame the orris; it's just not a note that loves me.

Decant: VERY Floral. Light floral..but VERY

Wet on Me: light floral as in light colored flowers. Something sweet…but something sour like when I amp rose.

Drying Down: this reminds me of something I once smelled at my Grandmother’s home when I was a very small girl. Very floral and powdery

Dry: This is floral but not my kind of floral. I think the way the rose is amping is what keeps this from being a total love

Imp: Florals.

Wet: Tart fruits and florals. There are no fruits listed, so I don't know what my nose is interpreting as fruity.

Drydown: This is well blended. I couldn't really pick out any one note.

Overall: This is a nice sweet floral scent. It's not bad, it's just something I wouldn't wear.

In the imp: my favorite dessert wine! Bartenura Moscato! (NTS: Do not drink the imp!)

wet on me: Bartenura + a pinch of rose.

drying: ROSE SINGING BAWDY SONGS, FLUSHED NOSE, WITH THE BOTTLE OF WINE IN ITS HAND! WHEEE!

[Author's note: omg, this has throw!]

almost dry: Rose is in the corner, aggressively making out in the corner with Lily of the Valley, and clearly wears the pants in this hookup. The bottle of wine is discarded at their feet.

[Author's note: where the heck is my ambergris??? wannit!]

just dry: Orris quietly snuck in to take blackmail photos of Rose & Lily. [The scent is getting a little more rounded, but not what I was expecting, very FLORAL with a little powdery undertone.]

dry longer: Rose has calmed down a bit and has decided to engage in a more equal partnership with Lily. Occassionally ambergris wanders over, gasps with shock at the floral goings on, cries "EEEK" and runs back out of the room.

Finale: Rose & Lily are going to have a hell of a hangover. They're also not entirely sure what happened; fortunately, Orris has photos.

(Nice enough I guess, but not what I was hoping for at ALL. Swap pile!)

Got this as a frimp, and as I am a great fan of florals, decided to give it a try.

In imp: very pretty, but lotsa flowers there.

wet: OMG STRONG STRONG STRONG!!!

drydown: It's not letting up! It's kicking my butt! Lily of the Valley and maybe Plumeria? Not getting much of the rose.

I had to wash this off. First time I've done that with a floral. I don't know exactly what note in this was annoying. Not rose, I think, I wear that all the time. I've worn various Lily notes with success. One of the others.

This imp gets passed along to someone else to try. Sorry it didn't work out.

Psithyristês - This is a very pretty floral. The first note I notice is the tea rose backed up by the plumeria. I'm pretty surprised at how mild the lily of the valley is, but then as it begins to dry down, the lily of the valley definitely becomes more noticeable. I tend to love blends with both orris and ambergris in them, but I don't smell either note in this blend. I'm guessing there's just enough of each to ground the floral and keep it from floating away into the ether. As the oil dries, it becomes very much a lily of the valley and tea rose scent -- slightly high pitched from the lily and kind of dry from the tea rose. It seems fairly traditional and almost Victorian.

Pretty, sweet floral. And I can smell the ambergris in it, too.

It smells nice and faintly rosey on me for about five minutes, and then it smells like pretty floral soap. I hate to say that, and I think this is only the third or fourth time I've ever reviewed an oil and said it smelled like soap, but I don't have a choice. It's not just that it smells kinda like some of those floral notes they often put in soap, I mean I can smell actual soap here. Like what unscented soap smells like.

Honestly? I don't much mind smelling like soap. I like smelling clean. But this isn't my favorite combination of floral notes ever, so I'll be passing along the decant.

Sour heady floral at first. Dry, sweet lily of the Valley, not much else. Okay, when I'm in the mood for this kind of scent.