Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!

Black plum, burgundy wine, sandalwood, and champaca.

So I just put this on my skin without really properly smelling it and omg talk about scent explosion. In the bottle it was very, very sweet and boozy. It's amping like crazy on my skin. My roommate walked in within a minute and asked what I was drinking lol. As it dries it mellowed out a lot (thank god) and got an almost musty smell to it (like walking into a dusty room that's been closed up for a while). But in the end I think it's just a little too sharp for me.

In the bottle: Mostly wine. This smells promising- I love boozy scents.

Wet: Sandalwood

Dry: A lovely combination of rich plum and sandalwood. The staying power's fantastic- over 12 hours later and the sandalwood's still there. I'm a little disappointed not to really get the wine coming through, but it's still great without it.

Each of the notes listed in this blend are easily identifiable to my nose. I'd say the dominant one is the plum, followed by sandalwood, burgundy wine and then a hint of champaca.

For whatever reason this has a medicinal scent on my skin. It's reminiscent of cough syrup, sweet, with something bitter that I didn't expect. Interestingly, I only pick up on the medicinal smell when I directly sniff the skin where I applied the oil, otherwise it's unnoticeable.

This one isn't for me.

Source: Secondhand decant

In the imp: Plum wine! Sweet and incense-like undertones. Pleasant and rich.

Wet: Immediately the wine and sandalwood begins to dominate. I tend to amp alcohol notes, so this is unsurprising. However, this doesn't smell like burgundy wine at all to me. Normally, as something of a wine snob, I disdain non-grape 'fruit' wines, but I think I would drink this plum wine!

Dry: The sandalwood has totally overwhelmed the other notes after not very long. Twenty minutes or so? It's a very pleasant sandalwood. For me, usually it's kind of a boring note, but the fruity touches underneath are nice. I'm surprised the wine has died down so noticeably, because normally wine notes linger on me all day. It's a .warm scent. I might keep this one for cold days

Notes: Some other folks claim this smells like vetiver in the drydown. Since vetiver is my absolute scream, gag, run for the shower note, I can say I don't get that at all. A strong scent, long wear, good throw.

This basically smells like all four listed notes equally. Kind of a woody plum wine.

I like it, but I already have a lot of plum scents, and wine isn't my favorite note. So I'll just stick with the plum ones I already have.

In Bottle, deep and rich and wine-ey.

Wet, L-W, kind of an elegant perfumey wine. Rich Grown up-y type of smell.

Dry, This smells like a dry wine that is a little tart and the sandalwood is not very prominent. I keep smelling wine and looking around and wondering who is drinking wine while I am here alone with my kids. It's just me. I like it but I don't love it and I don't know if I would ever have a reason to wear it. I feel like this is one bottle that will just sit on my drawer unloved.

on me, this smells almost exactly like Soul of La Traviata (one of my absolute favorites), except without the floral notes. same black plum, same dark wine scent, same almost-earthy bitterness to it. the bitterness reminds me of that bitter taste you get at the back of your tongue when you drink cranberry juice. if you love the dark purpley-red boozy berry scents (like me!), this one should be up your alley.