Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!

Limb-loosener.
Ambergris, pale musk, peru balsam, golden amber, cedar, lavender, spikenard, narcissus, vanilla caramel, white sandalwood, and woodmoss.

Bottle sniff. Sweet. Very faint. Seems kind of pale. It's funny 'cause the guy on the label has the 'i' going up a very particularly odd place! The label is also spelled 'Glukupikros.'

Wet, this is still very light. Over time there is a tiny bit more of a sweet sharpness, definitely a pale musky sandalwood. There is not too much flagrant cedar, narcissus, or lavender... this is all very smoothly herbal with a touch of translucent musk. The vanilla caramel is perhaps what is giving this a little sugary sweetness, but by no means is it foody caramel. This scent is striking me as very androgynous, actually.

Hrm. I'm puzzled by this scent, I thought it'd be more uniformly ferocious, given some of the notes in it - vanilla caramel, or lavender, for example, but again this is a very tight skin-scent which has hints of all of its ingredients, but doesn't really showcase any one of its components. If I'd have to sum it up, Glukuprikos is a slightly mossy dry herbal wood with light throw.

Androgynous indeed -- or metrosexual, maybe. :)

In the bottle, Glukupikros is lightly herbal with mossy overtones and a bit of an evergreen edge.

On my skin, this is a surprisingly clean scent. The overall impression is actually on the floral side of herbal, but not sweet; the lavender is prominent, shaded by the narcissus. The musk and woodmoss seem to be combining with the lavender for a light cologne effect. The woods are in there if I sniff for them, but very faint -- in fact, I don't really smell any of what I would have thought would be the dominant "heavy" notes in this blend.

After reapplying in a couple of different spots, I notice the amber coming out a tiny bit more (the backs of my hands seem to have totally different chemistry from the rest of my body!). If I hadn't dabbed in the new locations, I wouldn't have picked out the amber at all. It's still not strong, and I'm still not getting any "vanilla caramel" in the slightest.

Overall, this is a very subdued, clean, gender-neutral blend. The throw is minimal.

Like Lycanthrope, I'm baffled by the contrast between the note list and the actual scent!

In The Bottle

Faint, sharp and perfumey

On Application

Not alot there. As above

Dry Down

Initially seems very faint but as it warms up becomes very strong but still softish. Overall has a very cologney/perfumey quality. I can't really pick any floral notes from this but I can detect the sandalwood and moss. I like it and would wear it when I wanted a more traditional smelling scent.

Rating (0-5)

I liked it at first. It seemed very well blended and a nice scent with enough complexity to keep me interested for a little while. However it started off faint and, well, a bit too well behaved. From there it began to vanish entirely. So I checked the notes again and yep, ambergris strikes again. Ah well.

I bought this knowing it contained several notes that don't usually work for me (amber and lavender particularly; both tend to spike and sharpen very quickly on me), and hoping the others would balance them out. They didn't. In the bottle, I thought this was similar to other BPAL "manly cologne" scents I've tried, like Whitechapel, but with a bit of a muskier, earthier feel. On me, though, it really did not work, and even though I should have known it wouldn't! it's going up for swap.

This is an amazingly light, mossy scent, with a slight touch of fruitiness (I have no idea where that's coming from). None of those intense notes ever really makes an appearance, and everything stays nicely balanced. I could see this being a particularly nice department store cologne.

This is a very light scent...I picked up at WC yesterday. It smells very clean...and perfumey...like one of those really expensive shower washes you may use that has some perfume in it...I imagine the naked man on the bottle smells this way. Which is another reason why I love it....so Nekkid man perfume is here to stay! :joy: :lol:

This has an earthy mossy feel to it. It starts off very faint. I enjoy the greenery in this.

Though the longer I wear it, a cologne smell starts to grow. Still kind of faint, but the cologne kind of takes over while on my skin ehh....

I would recommend this to men, I think it would be super sexy on them... but don't worry women, the moss and cologne are actually on the faint side.

But sadly this just isn't working for me......

Imp-> A faintly sharp, masculine scent. Very well blended. I can't really pick out any individual notes.

Wet-> Clean male. Like a guy who has just stepped out of the shower after washing a guy smelling soap *marvel at my descriptive abilities <_< * Very nice and it seems to have a slight metalic tang to it. I like this a lot more than I was expecting.

After a while-> It stays in the nice, clean and slightly sharp phase for a little while, but eventually it turns to soap on me. A rich lather of boy soap, that's what my oh so wonderful skin chemistry turns this into.

I would love to try this on my guy, though I would have to ninja it on him and then come up with a satisfactory excuse as to why I'm huffing him like crazy if it works out nicely on him.

The only thing I recognize is the balsam, because this smells like a sweet, slightly grassy shampoo to me. It smells like riding horseback in a field on a sunny day, the wind whipping through the grasses and wildflowers. It's lovely and clean, a bit green, and strangely exhilarating.

This does not smell how I expected at all.

It's a very dry, clean, somewhat masculine scent. Once it begins to dry down, a slight sweetness comes out from the vanilla caramel and I'm picking up the moss and amber.

This really isn't a scent for me, but I'll be trying it on dh when he gets home.

In the bottle, this smells like men's cologne with a cloying, warm, powdery amber note and cool, clean lavender. The more that I smell it, the more that it seems unbearably dry and powdery.

On me, it's dry, powdery something and a sharp, perfumey musk with an overall feel of men's colonge. As it dries down, this has a slightly better stage. The powdery aspect calms down and fades & this loses a lot of its initial sharpness. It's hard for me to think of any real way to describe this, though. It smells like men's cologne, musky and cool. I can't pick out any of the listed notes except for a musk and perhaps a clean, sweet, slightly herbal lavender.

Clean, masculine musk. After a half hour, it morphs back into smelling like baby powder, with a sudden added note of burnt rubber. :huh?:

This one isn't working for me.

i thought the amber would make up for the rest of the smells in the blend but, no.

initially in the bottle it smelled like mostly lavender. i have a honey n lavender soap and this reminds me of it. good/bad. sort of.

applied: the amber really comes out but ive never been a fan of sandalwood and i can clearly smell it. ITS LIKE HELLO AND SMILING AND ASKING ME FOR A SPOT OF TEA..AH. i can also pick up the narcissus. another one not for me. they never work on my skin...they end up smelling like dirty draws.

overall: i'll keep my empty and my decant and maybe buy more along the way but am i gonna buy a full bottle from the lab? no.

Wet, this is sweet and a bit floral and light. Very pretty, but a bit soapy. There's also a strong honey/amber note.

Freshly applied, the scent doesn't change much - it's still very floral... that must be the lavender, spikenard, and narcissa.

The honey-sweetness must be the ambergris, golden amber, and vanilla caramel. I'd been worried about this, because 'caramel' notes often turn to butter flavoring, 'muffin' candle scents.

As the scent matures on the skin, the deepness of white sandalwood, peru balsam, pale musk, and woodmoss start to balance out those floral and sweeter notes.

This is a bit soapy, but very light, fresh, and pretty. Can't exactly say it's evocative of the hottie on the label, but I predict the overt femininity of this fragrance would catch one pretty easily. ;)

All in all, I like it - for those days when I just want to smell clean and girly.

This one actually makes me feel really wistful.

It smells just like my cat used to, growing up. My dad would pick him up in the morning right after putting on cologne, then let him outside, so in the morning he always smelled like men's cologne and dew and cat fur. That cat has been dead a few years and my dad isn't in the best of health, so it's very weird to suddenly smell something so nostalgic.

So even though it makes me sad, I'm happy to have smelled this. It's really comforting and bittersweet. It reminds me of being too young to really know what was going on and feeling like my dad knew everything and was invincible and that my cat would be with me forever.

Oh good god this is lovely. So many things going on that I can't pick what stands out most. It is herbal, and woodsy, resinous, and simply stunning.

On skin the lavender makes the first appearance, and combined with cedar, woodmoss and peru balsam it is a lovely lavender woodsy blend. As it dries down the golden amber, white sandalwood, pale musk and ambergris meld together and combine with the herbal woods that I can't stop sniffing. It is gorgeous. I get whiffs of floral in between the creamy, golden amber, sandalwood, lavender and cedar.

I am so thrilled I have a bottle on the way that I may have to add another before they come down.

During the wet stages this blend was almost uncomfortably floral and perfume-y on me. I should add here that florals and I tend not to get along. The scent improved for me a lot during the drydown though. The woodmoss/cedar/vanilla/musk combo came out and managed to subdue the florals, leaving a clean sweet musk scent. The end result was nice, but the wet stages were just too cloyingly floral for me to get though.

In bottle: Rather more floral than I’d hoped. The narcissus floats over mostly incense and musk. Wet: The pale musk does blend beautifully with the flowers and incense. This is a delicate, sweetly feminine thing with a bit of woodmoss and cedar underneath. It is lovely, but very not me. I admit, I’d rather hoped the woods and moss would be stronger. With warming, some vanilla cream comes out. Dry: mostly cedar and sandalwood.

Much more floral than I expected. I get a white floral, with touches of fruitiness but I can smell the cedar at the base. It does have a 'clean, white musk' feel to it.

I'm not sure what to make of it.

Wet on the skin, this is definitely a heavy floral with light musk scent. As it dries, I do smell the vanilla caramel note which helps to soften the sharp floral throw after initial application. It's a very different scent from any others I have previously tried and I will be buying a bottle of this as well.

Wet, this is a old fashioned cologne, perhaps an Avon brand? I had to wash it off, as it was much too strong and overpowering for me. It has gotten smokier, but the perfumey vibe is still there. This one is off to swaps.

This caught me off guard too! Though now that I think about it, this scent conveys the actual picture very well; he's a pretty boy. =)

Narcissus (for the reflection admiration) is prominent and overall it smells like a modern white-floral-and-musk department store perfume; rather well-balanced in wood and other assorted components, so it's pleasant.

...Quite a few of the Lupercalias feel very classic, don't they? Different from BPALs I've tried previously (or paid attention to, maybe).

Scent memory wants to suggest Estee Lauder "Pleasures," or something. Maybe CK Eternity? Which isn't bad at all, but it's not what I like to wear (I go for BPAL's crazy-weird incense stuff!), so this will have to find a better bosom on which to reside!

It started out pretty soapy right off the bat. Something in this doesn't agree with my chemistry; I would have thought this had alcohol in it for the sour note that comes up after ten minutes. As it is, I think cedar is the troublemaker, or possibly the woodmoss.

Off to the swap pile...

In the imp: Amber florals...nice, but not what I was expecting.

Wet on skin: Smokier than in the imp, but still much lighter and more floral than I had thought.

Dry on skin: I'm not getting any cedar from this, or any incense. It's all floral and becomes lighter and sweeter with time.

Huh. Like previous reviewers, I'm not sure what I think of this one because it's just so different from what I had anticipated.

I love Glukuprikos and want a bottle!

I had originally gotten a little to try on the boyfriend, not for me, but it made him smell exactly like Crabtree and Evelyn- lavender and flowers. It did NOT work for him.

On a whim today, I tried it- oh my goodness. In the bottle, it smelled a little herbal for me, but on my skin...it's absolutely perfect. Wet, I got a beautiful, clean-smelling cedar, with the balsam and sandalwood (which I tend to amp) backing it up, with a hint of amber sweetness that makes it completely feminine. Dry, I'm getting slightly more of the vanilla caramel and musk, but with that amazing cedar still there, and that lavender... this is such an amazing wood scent on me. It's almost like Mictecacihuatl on me, but more herbal and not as dry, with more vanilla. I am in LOVE.