Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
waxing moon

Rakshasa

This haunting, exotic scent is named in honor of the shapeshifting demons from Hindu mythology. Sandalwood with rose and patchouli.

Rakshasa smells very herbal in the imp.

The patchouli is prominent as soon as I put it on, but the scent turns to a spicy wood when it dries. Weirdly, it is reminding me of pickles and that is not something I want to smell like.

In the Imp

The sandalwood and patchouli are the dominant notes in this blend right now. I can’t pick out any rose at all. Rose usually smells terrible on me so I’m curious to see what happens with this oil.

On My Skin

Now I can smell the rose. This is a very light blend that I don’t really smell unless my nose is right next to my skin.

After a Bit

The rose scent isn’t uber strong in this blend and I’m grateful for that. It’s got a bit of a spicy rose scent to it now that I don’t like too much. Roses just don’t work for me.

Rating 1-5 (5 being the best)

Scent - 2.5 Throw - 1.5 Longevity – 2

Overall (not an average) – 2

Final thoughts

Rose is one of my notes of doom. This blend is no exception. Light throw and little staying power. This is off to swaps.

Wow, the components in this blend are usually pretty bad on me, but this is a nice, soft rose blend. The patchouli doesn't smell dirty, the rose isn't overly aggressive and the sandalwood isn't powdery.

Huzzah!

Very nice. Nothing terribly unique, but a beautiful blend.

The roses come out strong in the wet stage and it dries down to a lovely floral sandalwood. I know the patchouli is in there somewhere, but it seems to blend into the general woodsyness as far as my nose is concerned.

This was a gift from a friend, and therefore it must be tried. It's nothing I would have chosen for myself, since rose is always soap on me.

In the Imp: Incredibly strong cedar, which is weird, because it's not a listed note. Perhaps it's that type of sandalwood. That's all.

Wet: Cedar and sandalwood, like a dusty carved wooden box. The rose comes out more, smelling a lot like soap of course, but is given the smackdown by the prickly cedary smell and vanishes. What's really weird is, I can smell the rose and it almost smells like... you know... rose. Instead of soap. But only if I'm about six inches away from my wrist. It's a nail-polish fake flower-shop rose, though.

Dry: Holy crap. The rose in this one worked for me... once it dried it turned into, y'know, real rose! Maybe there's hope yet. That being said, this is a strong, full, womanly rose touched with spice. Far too elegant for the likes of me, but it would be absolutely gorgeous on the right person. And it's giving me a headache. On you go, little imp.

The description is spot on with me! Spicy and smoky sandlewood with a hint of antique rose in the back. Faint, but very pleasant. Reminds me a bit of Seance. Good bedtime scent :) I wore it last night and had fabulous adventure dreams!

Waaaaaargh...

I really ought to know better at this point. Rose doesn't like me. I smell like a 1950s Hollywood producer's idea of what a Hindu temple smells like.

[later]

Fortunately, the rose toned down a fair bit after about an hour, but it's still pretty heavy on the overall headshop / incense boot-to-the-head. Not my cuppa, I'm afraid.

In the imp: Pale pink rose and very strong, dirty patchouli, with a faint undercurrent of the sandalwood. It smells like freshly turned dirt in a flower garden on a warm and sunny day. Very unpretentious, simple but appealing.

On, wet: A brief burst of light pink rose, followed by a stronger wave of patchouli and sandalwood. Despite the soft rose in the background, this really isn't sweet or especially floral, because the emphasis is on the strongly earthy patchouli. I smell something almost lemony here from the combo of sandalwood and patchouli, which gives this some zing… hard to tell if it's really there, or if it's an illusion because this smells similar to Namaste.

On, dry: Perfect. The patchouli has backed off and allowed the rose and sandalwood to come forward and blend together, while the patchouli is now a much more restrained grounding note—still earthy, but this is more about the garden than the soil. It's warm and lightly sweet, exotic but unpretentious and gentle.

Later: Woody, spicy rose, light but warm and sweet. The patchouli is only a very faint undertone now.

Overall: Bright, warm, woody and earthy, with a very light and pretty rose to sweeten it up. Even though I quite like patchouli, it was somewhat heavy and dirty for me at first, but on the dry down it becomes a pleasantly earthy base for the drier, spicy rose and sandalwood. This is a good everyday scent, particularly for those who want to be feminine but not floofy or girly, because the rose is very subdued. It's a bit like Namaste without the lemongrass.

ooh, thanks lab... for once again frimping me something cool that i would not likely have tried!

when i first put this on, it's oooooh sweet rose! almost a fruity (orange?) rose. not demonic.

almost immediately i get the sandalwood, then the patch (the smooth kind, not gritty).

this is definitely not a me scent... but i would love to wear something like this to be in character. it would be fab for a slightly modern style (vaguely fusiony) bellydance, if i ever get to get back to that scene. i would, however, need an extremely blingy scarlet evening gown style costume (minimalist shape, serious cleavage, slit up to there) to go with it... ;)

I got this as a frimp and hadn't read the description, and I was sure there was frangipani in here, as well as Mysore sandalwood. I get the orange note initially, too, or orange blossom, maybe. Overall, and especially after it dries down, the scent reminds me of sandalwood soap.

This sounded like something I'd like per the description so I ordered an imp. It arrived, I put some on and immediately ordered a big bottle. It is all glorious Indian rose-sandalwood incense. Today it lasted all day, changed slightly but still smelled good.

These oils are so unique to each individual's chemistry. That tells me that they are made with good quality oils, not some chemical crap.

this smells very herbal to me in the imp, but sweetly so, as small roses in an herb garden. &once on, mygod, this is so so gorgeous. soft, sweet rose & a spicy wood scent, exotic and beautiful. this just may become my signature scent. love.

This first smelled only of roses - which disappointed me, as I am not a huge rose fan. It's a pleasant scent, I'm just not crazy about it.

About an hour later, I began to be able to detect the sandalwood, and then a bit later I could finally smell the patchouli underneath. Very interesting combination, with the rose totally gone.

Not much throw...

Hours later now it has taken on a smokey, incensey smell that is lovely. Perfume oils never last this long on me!

This is one to try in the scent locket. I will definitely wear this again, though I'm not sure I'd buy a bottle.

in the imp: Definitely a patchouli blend. That's the note that's the strongest.

Wet: Subtle, but almost with a lemon-like zest. The blend of rose and patchouli seems to be giving it a lot of citrusy feel. I'm waiting for the sandalwood, because my body typically amps it to the exclusion of all other notes. It's definitely morphing, but the lemon-bar-esqu scent is pretty strongly entrenched. Don't get me wrong, it's definitely the mix of rose and patchouli doing this. I wouldn't call lemon-bars haunting though...

Drydown: I think the person that compared this to overturned earth in a flower-bed nailed it. It's very earthy. It might be because I'm out here in hippie country but all I can think of is hippies. It's the patchouli. The scent reminds me of the mix of incense at the local hippie store, which sells incense, tie-dyed goods and henna. The rose is slowly becoming more and more prominent, which improves the blend. As it dries it becomes more "perfumey."

Dry-hours later: This doesn't morph too much, but the rose definitely gets stronger, softening the blend slowly as the hours go by. It just gets lovelier with time and 10 hours later I can still smell it.

Conclusion:

For the right person, this is a beautiful blend. This is a down-to-earth gardeners blend, or something I might wear when camping. It's not what I look for in a perfume, but I enjoyed trying it. I can also see this mixed into things as a soap. I put mine up for swap because it's not me...but part of me wants to try it again because it really was lovely as time went by. Might just need the right mood.

Edited by Stormslegacy

In the Imp: spicy

Wet on Skin: spicy, almost lemony

While Drying: there is rose here, but it is nicely balanced by the sandalwood and patchouli, just adds a bit of sweetness

After a Little While: bold but delicate

Later: elbows go a bit wonky (I think it is the sandalwood), but still good on wrists

Final Thoughts: I am surprised by this one. I thought I would hate it (rose, sandalwood) but it is quite nice - To quote a friend: "it's the patchouli interacting with your hippiness - it makes everything go 'chill man, we're all good.'"

Rakshasa earns a 4/5 on my skin.

ETA: Tried this again today (Aug 31)... boy has it changed, and not for the better. It is ALL ROSE all the time. A slight sour tinge, and a powdery, soapy scent accompany the ROSE. I could detect no patchouli, and no sandalwood this time around. The imp will be moved from my box of awesome to my box of meh.

Edited by Rocza

This is an extremely compelling scent. On wet, I could definitely smell the deep, warm, earthy patchouli that was also in Tweedledum (or was it Tweedledee?), but a lot more well blended than Tweedledum. I can definitely tell it's not pure patchouli, as it's more fragrant and a bit sweeter, but I can't identify the rose or sandalwood either. Like I said, it's well blended. After it dries, the sandalwood (I think) comes out much more on me, exactly as I was hoping for, with the rose forming the nasal equivalent of an aftertaste.

This has taught me that I do not have to reject anything with patchouli in it, but it isn't the right patchouli scent for me either. I mean, it's great on my skin, but as a warm, sensual scent, it doesn't really describe me. "Haunting" is a perfect way to describe it - it sort of lingers in your mind (or mine, anyway!) and draws you back to it...I keep sniffing my wrist! Final verdict: this could be absolutely fascinating on someone else with the right personality, but I think I'll still end up wearing it some, just because it smells great.

This is a very good smelling scent. The only problem with it is that is reminds me of a lot of non-BPAL perfumes. Bath and Body Work's Sandalwood Rose is one and AIRS makes a sandalwood blend that smells a lot like this. So I am biased. The rose in this blend comes out really strong for about the first hour of wear and then blends with the sandalwood. I don't get any earthiness or patchouli from this blend at all. The sandalwood with a tiny whiff of rose lasts for a few hours and then fades. That's it.

I would wear most of the imp but not by a bottle. Actually, this being the last night of Parentalia, I put most of the imp accidently (only wanted a few drops) on these scent stones I have by the shrine of my ancestors. The shadows are supposed to be easily pleased by small gifts, so I hope they like it.

Frimp from the lab.

I have a love-hate relationship with roses. I love them as flowers. I love getting them as gifts. I love their real life scent. I hate the fact that the perfume oil note usually amps into the mutant rose monster that eats all other components.

In the imp, I get a lovely, subtle rose with sandalwood. This is hopeful and I quite like it at this stage. Wet, it's patchouli and a somewhat stronger rose. Uh oh. Drydown, I get mutant rose monster with teeny tiny helpless patchouli and sandalwood, cowering in the background. Dry, Godroseilla has completely flattened Patchouliville and Sandalwoodsylvania.

Obviously, I won't be upgrading to a bottle, not unless I can I find a way to keep it at the imp stage.

:::RAKSHASA:::

Wow! This is truly a Bewitching Brew!!!

The very first whiff of this reached way, way down deep and yanked around that part of the brain associated with some of the earliest formative childhood memories...

The compelling force of an investigative nature required another look at the Lab's notes...

Ah. Perfection in simplicity.

The skill with which the Sandalwood, Patchouli, and Rose were mingled together to produce Rakshasa certainly deserves applause...

Shape-shifting qualities?

Absofreakinlutely!

Rakshasa invokes another time... Back in the early 1970's, babysitters used to love this stuff!

This brings it all back: the bell-shaped straw hats, wood-bead necklaces, paisley, corduroy, enormous purses, sandals... And a fragrance very close to this one... Foxy.

Back then, an Indian/Hindu themed chic seemed omnipresent; not only in mindset and accoutrements, but in fragrance, especially. That long, natural, flowing hair with the flowers tucked into it smelled alot like this.

Heavenly.

Rakshasa is definitely a shape-shifting seductress of demonic proportions.The simplicity of the components is deceptive; right around the moment where a note becomes identifiable, there is a whiplash-quick morph and then another, or a combination of 2, or all 3 will come together only to dance away and reform again.

Rakshasa is a breathtakingly magnificent fragrance; sweet, exotic, and alluring.

A heady, striking fragrance for Her.

5/5!

Loads of rose! A very perfumey scent. I also get a strong whiff of sandalwood. Quite smooth, but not for me. Perfect for rose lovers!

In imp: Very bright, high and aggressive -- uh-oh, it's the patchouli. Perhaps with a bit of dry wood...

On skin: The same: dominant, obnoxious, blindingly bright patchouli. It's the same patchouli as in Masquerade, and I don't like it. Sandalwood and rose are trying to make themselves known, but at most they calm the blend very slightly and add a bit of dry sweetness. The rose may be adding to the brightness, but this is mainly a patchouli-fest. Remains much the same over time.

Colour impression: A dark, intense vermillion.

Verdict: Rakshasa definitely lives up to its namesake -- it's aggressive patchouli all the way. I'm very sad that the rose and sandalwood were nowhere to be found. For swaps.

In bottle: This is pleasantly like Iron Phoenix, only very rose. My skin does terrible things to rose, so it’s impossible for me to wear, but it’s a lovely incense blend with a strong rose edge.

I have recently become a fan of the lab's rose. Sandalwood and Patchouli are VERY hit or miss with me. Usually they only work if they are buried in a blend, but not as the main stars.

Oof, in the imp this is sort of a sharp sour rose + woods. Not noticing too much patchouli. On my skin I get a lot more of the patchouli...this is sort of a mishmash of dirt wood and roses. And something sort of sour and chemically =/ As it dries, it starts to veer towards pencil shavings category...yeah, wow total pencil shavings!

Yeah, from far away I still got roses for a while, but close up, all pencil shavings. On full drydown, it was basically pencil shavings city. :(

Just a little re-visit. This is my signiture scent now. I sometimes layer it with Evan Healy Rose/Vetiver to add a little more mystery.

Wet: damp light sweet rose, a la Hope. The sandalwood is the strongest which is surprising because when they show sandalwood as the 1st note, I never believe them. It always gets lost behind the other ingredients. Not here! It's sweet fragrant sandalwood with a real presence. The patchouli is slight so not to disturb the gentle balance of the 3. The throw and general aura is similar to tushnamatay...that's a great thing. I feel foolish for passing this one over so many times now.

Drydown: Still there in the same balance. Lovely sweet woody creamy fragrance. Perfectly blended and great for every day. My new go-to scent for indecisive days.