Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Sign in to follow this  
motdakasha

Dark Chocolate and Cherry

Dark chocolate and cherry.

I smell like someone cracked open a cherry cordial and smeared it all over my body. I'm delicious!

In the bottle this really doesn't smell like much - the cherry reminds me more of cough syrup than anything else. But once it hits my skin it blooms beautifully into a creamy DARK chocolate cherry scent - seriously, this smells just like chocolate covered cherries taste. It's incredible.

Make sure that you give this a try on your skin. In the bottle I get mostly dark chocolate with a semi-bitter and dark cherry lurking behind it. However! Once I apply this to my skin it blooms into a sweet, bright red cherry with smears of dark chocolate. If you like the cherry in Monster Bait: Bloody Mary, you are going to love this!

When i was decanting this, the room was overwhelming with a delicious cherry and dark chocolate explosion of foodie goodness. I mean, it was dominant and overpowering and I didn't even test any on my skin yet. So for me, i would say that if you want the best cherry chocolate smell in a scent locket, this is it hands down. I get more of a fake cherry syrup from MB Bloody Mary...this one is more like a dark cherry in syrup, drenched in dark choclate. Also you can really smell the difference of the dark chocolate itself.

on my skin it morphed and faded a bit (keeping in mind i didn't slather this on)..still very much true to a cherry cordial. this is a no brainer for cherry chocolate fans and i liked this wet scent better than the strawberry chocolate blend. it was truer and juicier whereas the strawberry scent morphed a lot more.

ETA: Twizzlers! smells like twizzlers with dark chocolate smeared on them!

Edited by FandF

Uh huh... dark chocolate and cherry it is. No messin' about.. no other smarty pants little notes lurking around - it is what it is, and it's absolutely spot on.

The cherry in this reminds me a bit of Candy Phoenix, which I know is strange since CP had no cherry in it, but to me it's a similar kind of 'red' fruitiness with the syrupy velvet thing going on but without that super sweetness of Candy Phoenix. The dark chocolate is definitely present in this.. it's not just *all* cherry.. I think it's more of a warm melted dark chocolate, with a kind of 'hot' feel about it. I did find that the chocolate note fades after a little while though, leaving mostly just the cherry behind, but even then it's still warm and luscious.

If this were a lip gloss, you'd have people lining up at your kissing booth. It's abso-freakin-lutely delicious. However, I'm not sure whether this is how I want to smell.. as yummy as it is, I'm just a bit iffy on that point.

Edited by sunshinedaisybliss

This was another chocolate from the box that I knew I had to try, even though I personally loathe cherry cordials and I wasn't a big fan of Bloody Mary. :P

In the bottle: Mmm, smells better than a real cherry cordial. This is the cherry cordial you would get from an exclusive chocolatier, not the 1.99 box from CVS.

Wet on my skin: Maybe I should rethink my relationship with cherry cordials.

Drydown: This is sooo much better than Bloody Mary, so if anyone didn't like that one and is afraid of this one, don't be. It's a decadent, fine chocolate-covered cherry.

Verdict: If I had stuck my hand in the chocolate box and bit into this, I certainly wouldn't be disappointed but I'd still be hunting down the ones with nuts or coconut in them. :yum:

Sniffing the box of chocolates in their bottles, this one was my least favorite. It smells like markers, all harsh and chemical-like.

On my skin at first, this reminds me of Monster Bait: Bloody Mary. It smells like sour cherry candies, no chocolate, and a bit of cream and powdered sugar. The cherry is tart and not sickly sweet. In the drydown, this starts to smell a bit weird and sharp again, like cherry cough syrup. I also smell a hint of the chocolate, but it smells like burnt chocolate :sick:. Burnt chocolate and cherry cough syrup. Not good. The smell makes me feel a little nauseous.

Dark Chocolate and Cherry is my least favorite of the chocolate box scents.

Apparently I amp sour, because every candy-like blend that I try goes really tart and dry on me, compared to other reviews. :lol:

Wet, this goes through a brief phase somewhat like cough syrup -- it's thick, sweet cherry with a tart undertone and a liberal application of butter -- but fortunately that goes away as soon as it starts to dry.

The cherry in this is very much like the cherry in Bloody Mary. I feel like there are two things making up the cherry: a juicy, sweet candy-like note (like the GC cherry in Vice or some of the Mad Tea Party blends), and a tart, dry cherry, like Kool-Aid powder. The cherry is way stronger than the chocolate, on my skin, and the tart aspect of it is strongest. So this feels more like an old-fashioned hard candy to me than a cherry cordial.

BM was a little lighter and sweeter, because the tartness was offset by sugared cream. Here, the tartness is complemented by dark, dusky chocolate (not unlike a more buttery Candy Butcher), so if BM is a day scent, this is the night equivalent.

Throw is pretty strong while wet, but it fades a bit quickly.

This is dark chocolate and cherry... but the cherry does have a cough syrup overtone to it that I'm not crazy about.

Pass.

Wow, this is true to the name. I have never tried such a patently foody scent, so this is a shocker for me! In the vial, I smell dark bitter chocolate and tart red cherry. On my skin, it's that red, candied, syrup-drenched cherry! Tart and juicy. The throw (which is pretty intense, especially in the earlier stages, by the way) is the interior of a cherry cordial, and closer to my wrist I smell seriously dark, black chocolate. Crazy! I smell like I'm hiding a box of crushed open dark chocolate-covered cherries under my clothes... really vivid, but I've decided that I don't want to smell completely edible.

Had high hopes for this one. It smelled great in the bottle, dark chocolate and cherries, just like the namesake but on my skin, it turns yeasty.

I would have never guessed it was supposed to be cherry and chocolate. I honestly had to try and remember which one I put on when I sniffed it as it morphed into something completely different.

The cherry here is indeed quite like that of Bloody Mary, but where Mary was all powdered sugar and light, this one is decadently dark chocolate. Smells just like the candies! Which I could really go for right now after sampling this.

Wet: this smells like Twizzlers. I really don't like Twizzlers.

Dry: Great. Now it smells like Twizzlers dipped in cough syrup.

Drydown: finally, some chocolate starts to come out. The cherry note stays utterly horrible, however. I can't smell any similarity to Bloody Mary. :cry: And yet, I'll be getting a bottle anyway, in the hope that the cherry note will get better with age.

In the bottle at WC and in the imp, it's chocolate and cherry Nyquil. On, it's vaguely cherry scented tootsie rolls (my skin eats cherry). I kind of like it, but as the biggest chocolate covered cherry fan, it's not as true a scent for me as I was hoping it would be.

This is very strongly alchoholic, for lack of a better word.

The Cherry smells like Kirsch.

This reminds me of when I make Chocolate Covered Strawberries and leave a few in the fridge for a few days. The sugar in the berry begins to ferment inside the chocolate.

The strong nature of the Cherry does subside but does over-shadow the Chocolate quite a bit at all times from first application and into dry down.

OM NOM NOM NOM- oh, excuse me. i think is should add a caveat here that, while i do not have a sweet tooth to speak of, if i could only have one sweet for the rest of my life, it would be dark chocolate cherry cordials. i'm a serious fiend for these things.

in the bottle before i even opened it, i held it up to the light and noticed the boomslangian glob of cocoa absolute on the bottom of the bottle. rolling and, yes, even shaking, did not appreciably break up this globule. i'm very tempted to go home and stir it with a pipette. anyway, in the bottle, it's boozy chocolate, no cherry detectable at all.

wet on skin booooooozy! holy crap, it's like smearing yourself with kirsch. yum. the chocolate runs and hides from the boozy cherry which still isn't very in-your-face-cherry, just a dark red fruit.

dry on skin woe and plastic. while this evens out between the cherry (which is similar to bloody mary's thick red fruits note) and the chocolate, there's some seriously icky plastic going on just under the surface. but, however, i will persevere and try this again after it's had a chance to rest after its shipping adventure and my overly excitable shaking.

later: pickled plums? weird. it's like dark chocolate and umeboshi.

eta okay, retested last night and stirred it up thoroughly with a clean pipette because i could see that glob of cocoa on the bottom, but not amount of rolling was mixing it up. i stirred until i got a good saturation of cocoa globs, then tested from the tip of the pipette. close to the skin it's a chocolate just a little darker than bliss, not as dark as boomslang, and sweet, candied cherry. six inches away, it's tart cherry and vomit. :(

Edited by ravenfeathers

Hmm. Not sure about this one. On my skin, it is half wonderfully dark, wonderfully boozy cherry cordial; and half sick medicinal. Sniff now, sniff again, it changes every time. I hoped this was a factor of my weirdo skin chemistry, but it smells the same on a fabric swatch. Boo.

On first sniff Dark chocolate and cherry is a little too boozy smelling for my liking. On initial application, the cherry is extremely powerful and not in a good way. During drydown, all I think of are those horribly disgusting chocolate liquers, and unfortuantely, the striking comparision between the two will not work for me.

Reading reviews, I was really hoping for a twizzler scent. I would have been all over it.

Hmm, I'll admit I was a little wary of trying this baby out after reading some of the reviews here. Though I like cherries, I'm not particularly fond of that fake cordial smell that a lot of other perfumes have whenever they attempt cherry, so I was really hoping the lab would be an exception. And boy were they ever!

In the imp: Cherries dipped in dark chocolate syrup. The chocolate is fairly dominant, and the cherries are barely in the background, but that is -exactly- how chocolate dipped cherries taste like, so I'm happy.

Wet: Wow, CHERRIES. A little boozy, and the dark chocolate's bringing this lovely bitter edge to it. Boy this is lovely. I'm really hoping this isn't going to morph too much, because I'm really loving this.

Drying: Mmm, this smells divine. Like cherry juice just after you've bit into the fruit. It's still a little boozy, and the chocolate is very, very faint, but I really love how juicy and luscious this smells. Not at all like cherry cordial. I think this would be amazing to layer with Bliss, or maybe one of the other chocolate scents, just to bring up that lovely dark chocolate note.

In Bottle - Pretty much just cherry, maybe if I sniff deeply just the slightest bit of chocolate.

Wet on Skin, First Applied - Same story as in the bottle, this is thick, syrupy cherry. Really bordering on Robatussin, or whichever medicine it is that is goopy, cherry flavored yech.

Dry, on Skin - No change for me, unfortunately. This is just cherry medicine. Too bad, because I was really looking forward to it! The rest of the chocolate box that I have tried, (all minus Sugared Violet and Strawberry) have been really excellent--strongly of chocolate, with the 'filling' notes taking a second fiddle. This one seems pure cherry. I'm not a huge fan of cherry period; the fruit, the scent, the use of it in retro-style clothing.. the whole of cherrydom garners a 'meh' from me. I just figured I'd take the chance, and if anyone could make me like it, it'd be the Lab. Not a go, though. Lucky for me, it isn't much of a malingerer or wafter.

In the bottle – Oddly neither dark chocolate nor cherry. There is a pinkish berriness, but that’s more like cough syrup than cherries and these is a creamy butter sort of backdrop

Wet on me – The blend persists as a sort of buttery cough syrup, which is odd and not entirely pleasant

Dry on me – I’m still not getting cherries, the bitter richness of the dark chocolate, yes, but underneath is a slightly chemical acidic scent

Overall – I don’t really know what to make of this, I wanted (and expected) to love it, but I have to say I didn’t really enjoy wearing it.

In the vial: a very boozy cherry syrup scent with an underlying sharp chocolate. Much like a cherry cordial.

On the skin: Wet its very much the same as in the vial, but on drydown, on my skin, it turns into pez candies. LOL This is not a bad thing, this is amusingly wonderful to me.

Hmm...I'm on the fence with this one. It's VERY true to name and definitely reminds me of cherry cordials, but I may have to agree with those who are saying it has a cough syrup cherry note. I'll have to wait and see.

In the imp: Well, I don't smell any chocolate of any kind. This is a very dark, almost medicinal cherry. I do find it too sweet to actually call it medicinal, but everyone else who sniffed my decant compared it to cherry cough medicine. I smell no chocolate whatsoever. And I rolled my decant to make sure the chocolate wasn't sitting on the bottom (and I trust my decanter, so I know she rolled the bottle before decanting). I think the cherry just overpowers it.

Wet: Now it smells even sweeter, like the juicy red cherries in MB: Bloody Mary. Which is very nice, but still, no chocolate.

Dry: Okay, it's not as sweet now, but it's still not medicinal...to me, it smells almost like cherry soda, like Dr. Pepper or something. Not really fizzy, but sweet-yet-dark, cherries plus something darker. But that something just doesn't smell like chocolate to me. That's okay, I'm not desperate for chocolate--Milk Chocolate Buttercream has filled that need beautifully, TYVM! I just don't know where the chocolate went. But I like this scent for what it is. Not enough to need a bottle, but enough that I'll hang onto the decant and wear it whenever the mood to smell like Dr. Pepper strikes. It's just that much different from Bloody Mary in the drydown that it feels unique and kind of whimsical.

I should preface this review with the fact that:

a) I have never tried a chocolate BPAL scent before

B) I am, however, a foodie

c) Bloody Mary is my holy grail LE scent

d) I love to eat chocolate

So I figured this would be a winner!

.......Unfortunately, I was wrong. (I've been having really bad luck with the Lupercalias this year if you note my other reviews....well, bad luck with scents, good luck with the bank account, I suppose. :P)

This goes straight to a medicinal cherry (sort of like the warming Tylenol cough syrup I chugged all November, actually -- that stuff was the devil...and I don't mean Devil's Food...ok sorry) and the scent of the cocoa wafers my brothers and I would get at AC Moore to melt into candies. Very dry and sharp, but in the wash-it-off-ahhh! sort of way. Alas.

*cries sad little tears* I was really hoping that since people had been saying it was similar to Bloody Mary's cherry (that sounds dirty, actually...oops) that it'd be a new love. But it's nothing like Bloody Mary's cherry on me at all! :(

My bank account is thankful....my bank account is gleeful....and I'll just keep hoarding Bloody Mary. ;)

Edited by AnArtfuldodger