Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
inurbanus

Milk Chocolate Buttercream

In bottle: Yep, that’s chocolate with buttercream underneath. Wet: chocolate is dominant, but the sweet creamy center really works with this. The whole thing blends insanely well with my natural musk, making it rather sexier than one would expect. Dry: mostly buttercream with a hint of chocolate. My skin loves this, which is sad as I only have a partial imp.

In the bottle: It smells like a can of chocolate frosting.

This dries down into a more powdery scent.. Almost a bit plasticy. After a bit, I really feel it smells quite plasticy and fake.. but my fiance a few feet away randomly says it smells good.. so.. I'll probably keep it just because of that! :P (I might try it in my scent locket, see if that works for us both better.)

Edited by ShadowsDance

Imp: Chocolate.

Wet: Bliss with cocoa butter.

Drydown: This goes waxy/plasticky on me. :cry2:

Overall: Oh well, at least I have Bliss for my choco cravings.

In the bottle - Coffee flavoured yoghurt?

Wet on me - Slightly bitter chocolate, with a sweet, soft, underside

Dry on me - Bitter molten chocolate

Overall - It isn't very inviting, it just seemed to sit on me rather than get involved

Oh good lord. :P *wipes drool* In the bottle this smells AMAZING, like a moist yellow cake with piles of thick chocolate frosting. It literally made my mouth water the first time I sniffed at it.

Unfortunately, when I apply this to my skin it turns plastic-y; then when dry it is completely unnoticable on my skin. (Might this be because I ALREADY smell like delicious, delicious cake with chocolate frosting? Can that PLEASE be the reason??)

Best in my locket (and on a short chain so I get all the goodness to myself B) ).

This smells goooood! This is by far the best of the "Box Of Chocolate" scents I have tried.

The chocloate is only therre when the oil is first on, it's a kind of fake-ish chocolate but it's still really nice, it's a vit creamier than the other blends due to the buttercream/vanilla.

The dry down and dry stages of this oil are where it becomes so nummy that I wanna eat my wrist.

The dry stage has big similarities to, the vanillary cakeness that's in "Midway" and the very dry stages of "Egg Nog". I'ts like that custardy vanilla that's sweet sweet sugary but soo good.

The chocolate has completley gone and I'm loving this.

It's not overpowering but enough to draw compliments.

When the oil is very dry I feel like I've slathered my skin in Cocoa Butter cream. YUM!

Love this oil alot.

:)

Got this as part of a BPAL Santa package; thanks again, wonderful LJer!

In the decant, this smells like chocolate frosting. Mmmm. And it's the same on my skin. Oh my. This may be a bottle, straight off the bat. This just keeps on getting even more creamy and chocolately as it dries, so yeah, this is definitely going to the DISOs.

(If there's a Box of Chocolates for this year's Lupercalia, I may be doomed.)

Edited by Venneh

This one smells great at first (just like the description) but then turns into that strange plastic-y scent on my skin. It's not the oil's fault, it's my skin's fault. It does this a lot. I'm used to it. Still disappointing when it happens, but not unexpected. I have other chocolate scents that work fine, so I probably didn't need another one anyway.

This scent is very straightforward. Milk Chocolate with buttercream, and Oh! Does it smell divine! I wish I had gotten a bottle of this when it was available. The Lab’s chocolate note can be powdery at times, but this one wasn’t like that at all. Glad I got to try a decant.

This has been one of my most favorite Lupercalias ever! This is the best chocolate blend (and it works on me!). It's intoxicating. First sniff in the bottle makes me want to eat it. It smells of buttery yellow cake, sugar, & creamy soft chocolate frosting. On wet it's lickable, as it dries it becomes softly powdered cake mix and reminds me of my favorite Bavarian custard filled doughnuts with chocolate frosting. Yum!

Milk Chocolate Buttercream - In the decant vial this is subtle and smells like creamy brownies. Delicious! But the moment it touches my skin, my damned skin chem completely annihilates anything good about it and turns into something that smells like brownie batter made with rancid buttermilk. Blech. Yet another chocolate scent that's just rotten on my skin. :(

Wet, it was chocolate icing. I *adore* icing (to the point of cheerfully cleaning the icing off a slice of cake, but leaving the cake untouched), so I was more than a little pleased about this.

Dry and on my skin, there's an almost amber note, and the over all effect is of cocoa powder, rater than butter cream. It's still a pleasant scent, just not as decadent as I'd hoped for. Part of the change might be my skin chemistry, and I'll likely test it in a scent locket, to see if that improves the dry-down.

Origin:

5mL from StephanieLynn.

Preconceived notions:

I've really liked two of the Chocolates that I've tried so far (Dark Chocolate/Whiskey/Cognac and White Chocolate/Black Raspberry/Apricot) and thought the other was pretty decent (Dark Chocolate and Pepper-Smoked Caramel), so I'm hoping this one's another winner for me.

To be more precise, I'm hoping this smells like milk chocolate covered vanilla buttercream candies. But I have a feeling that this is going to smell like milk chocolate covered chocolate buttercream, which could be good or could be chocolate overload for a selective foody scent wearer like me.

First sniff:

Chocolate frosting. I wouldn't say it's chocolate buttercream frosting, either, just plain old chocolate frosting. The kind that comes in a can, not homemade. It's not bad but it's not wowing me the way Dark Chocolate/Whiskey/Cognac and White Chocolate/Black Raspberry/Apricot did. I'm thinking this might end up being too one-dimensional for me, based on what I'm smelling here. I'm finding that I only really like foody scents that have something a little interesting added to the mix (chili pepper in Calaveras, bourbon and blackberries in Monster Bait: Closet, whiskey and cognac in DCWCT, the variety of Midway and CD023...you get the idea). But I'll try it. Nothing ventured, nothing gained.

Wet on skin:

At first, this has a strange sort of almost plastic scent to it when it hits my skin and then it quickly morphs into something reminiscent of chocolate almond milk with canned chocolate frosting smeared on top. That might sound bad for someone like me who gets nauseous smelling almond oil, but it's not bothering me for two reasons: (1) I don't think there's actually any almond in here, there's just something giving it that vague, slightly creamy, almost nutty smell that chocolate almond milk has and (2) chocolate almond milk doesn't really smell like almond to me, either.

It's not bad, but not great, either. A little one-dimensional, as I was afraid of, but that's kind of to be expected with a scent named Milk Chocolate Buttercream, no?

Dry down:

Stays pretty much the same as it dries. I get canned chocolate frosting, a hint of something both creamy and vaguely plastic-like (a scent I associate with chocolate almond milk) and just a general sweetness. It's definitely a chocolate scent, but it's not as cocoa-heavy as Dark Chocolate/Whiskey/Cognac and Calaveras are. This is more of a smooth, smearable chocolate, not a heavier, dry cocoa scent.

The bottom line:

Well, I've learned something here. I think I really like BPAL's dark chocolate scents (with some exceptions from the general catalog, Vice for example), but not the milk chocolate scents so much. I think that the difference is the foodiness. The milk chocolate scents are more foody and intensely sweet, while the dark chocolate scents are a little less foody and a little more wearable for someone like me. I like smelling like sexy, sophisticated cocoa with something a little unexpected mixed in (chilis or whiskey, even something like cinnamon to give it a little something extra), but smelling like plain old chocolate frosting? Not really.

I'll probably wear this now and then, but I don't really see it being something I reach for regularly. If you like the smell of canned chocolate frosting, though, don't let me dissuade you. This is probably right up your alley. ;)

Edited by Penance

Mmmm.. wow. This was very unexpected, actually. So much better than first thought! :D

Imp/Wet: A little too sweet, slightly buttery- a touch fake, but overall, a very nice chocolatey scent. It's JUST at the cusp of making me fear it'll go plastic, in about 5 minutes.

Drydown: ...what is this? No plastic? Yay! It turns into an almost spicy chocolate, reminiscent of Gelt, but less dry and touch more complex. Dare I say, quite sexy.. much darker than I originally thought it'd end up, which was a very pleasant surprise. It's a woman's chocolate, not a little girl's. ;)

The only drawback (well, sorta) is that it doesn't seem to have much lasting power, on me.. it sorta just melts into my own, natural skin scent- but that's what I tend to aim for, anyway. Don't like to be overly perfumed, and if it melts away, it just means that it's a true companion to my skin. (As I'm writing this, the scent is getting softer and softer... usually, a pinprick of any BPAL is enough for me to be wafting it around for a decent clip. This must be those slathering situations I'm always reading about, yet never had to do. LOL)

ETA: .....ACK! The plastic returneths. I spoke too soon. It's mild, not as bad as most things that go plastic, but there's still that undertone, which I can't stand. Bah, I say!

Edited by beturtlement

in bottle: Chocolate icing with a bit of a floral undertone. Average throw.

wet: Instantly disappears, then cocoa powder comes out after about a minute. Is more like icing after about three minutes.

drydown: Sometimes cocoa powder, sometimes icing. Not much throw at first, but gets better and stronger as time goes by.

verdict: A very nice milk chocolate scent.

In the vial: Fruitiness (cherry?) and chocolateof the El Dia de los Reyes variety, powdery and milky.

On me: Starts out a bit bitterwhipped butter, not sweet enough to be icing, with a ghost of red fruitiness and a bare implication of powdery chocolate. It takes about half an hour for the scent to grow into what it's meant to be: a sugary milk chocolate haze, with a touch of powder and a hint of cherry, and some buttery richness at skin level. The chocolate is akin to the cocoa in El Dia de los Reyes. It's pretty accurate but not particularly enjoyablethis isn't handmade buttercream; it's a tub of premading frosting. Scent-color is milk chocolate. Throw is moderate to high.

Verdict: I hate milk chocolate and dislike frosting, so even at its best it's unlikely that Milk Chocolate Buttercream would have worked for me. Post-drydown, the scent is pretty accuratebut personal taste aside, it doesn't quite have the luscious indulgent quality I'd expect; the chocolate leans powdery, the butter can be stale, I have no idea where the cherry comes from, but most of all it doesn't have a handmade, high-quality buttercream feel. This is a one for the swaps, in the hope that it'll work better on someone else.

I have been holding back on a LOT of reviews that I've done in my notebook and have been meaning to get them done, and this jumped over all the others and I HAD to do this now.

I have a lot of chocolate/cocoa scents. I've tried a lot. From Bliss, to Gelt, to even The Candy Butcher are the closest and they do not compare. This is by far the greatest chocolate blend with the most lovely creaminess. I want to lather this all over my body and eat a Smörgåsbord of chocolates and terrible wonderful things.

I have already lathered myself today, and I'm worried I'm going to run out of this imp very quickly. I can't get more positive about this, but I hope this comes anywhere close to my love for this!

This one smells very similar to Bliss, but just less chocolate, and a lot more sweetness. I had to seriously slather this one to get the scent to 'stick' and it is still pretty faint. I suspect my skin will eat this one up fast. I do really like the scent, though. It is yummy foody, sweet creamy awesomeness. I do not get nearly as much chocolate from this than I would have thought though. It is very heavy on the cream. If it was not so faint on me, this would probably be a big win.

Can't really add anything different than what was said! :)

In bottle: very creamy milk chocolate!! Can smell the butter-creaminess of it. Like frosting as someone mentioned.

On skin: Stays true....gets a little "dry" smelling, but in a good way. Seems some chocolate notes do that to me.

Dry down: Low throw on me, but never changes. Pretty much as it says it is. Creamy buttercream chocolate!! :)

Edit to add that I think this would make a great layering note as well, as it is simple and lovely.

Edited by Numanoid