Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
inurbanus

Milk Chocolate Buttercream

Milk chocolate buttercream.

Was anyone hoping this would be a substitute for The Candy Butcher? If so, it's not. It's a million times better than The Candy Butcher, and I'm saying this as someone who liked CB. This might be the most delicious BPAL foodie blend I've ever smelled. Yes, it's that good. And I don't even like the Lab's chocolate blends half the time. Thick, rich chocolate over a layer of sweet sugary cream. If you don't like sugary scents, this isn't for you. But for those who do, this is awesome!

On first sniff, this reminds me of Bliss. On second sniff, it reminds me of Bliss again, but there's a sugary, almost boozy base that adds some nice depth. This is nice - not my favorite of the chocolate box by far, but one I see myself wearing pretty regularly.

In the bottle, it's very much like chocolate frosting, sweet and sugary and a bit buttery.

Wet, it turns more powdery, Gelt-y.

Dried, it varies -- sometimes, it's a nice fudgy scent with a hint of sugar sweetness, and sometimes it goes more into cocoa powder.

I might try this again, but I think that even if it works, the more I think about it, I'm not sure if I have an appropriate occasion when I'd want to smell like chocolate (maybe my chocolate-fiend self won over logic when I ordered). I may try swapping this for one of the other chocolate box blends once I get my imps of those.

This smells a lot like Bliss with the addition of butter. Once dry, it reveals a little more complexity than Bliss, but it's still quite similar.

Compared to Bliss, wet, it's the same light, milky chocolate but richer (from the butter). Dry, it has more of a dark, cocoa edge, like a chocolate robe around the buttercream, and it loses some of the sickening richness (but it is still distinctly buttery).

Actually, perhaps a better point of comparison is El Dia de Reyes. If you could strip away the coffee, I think you'd find a chocolate scent nearly identical to this.

If you wanted El Dia for the chocolate only, or if Bliss didn't quite do it for you, definitely give this a try. Although similar to Bliss, I think it's better.

(side note: I wouldn't call this a substitute for Candy Butcher. On me, CB was like a dark chocolate ganache. No butter, just deep, milky chocolate. This is a bit lighter and richer.)

Edited by naeelah

I thought this was a really great chocolate scent that had great creaminess to it. I would have thought that THIS one had the coconut in it (it does not). It did not go sour on my skin (while Bliss does) and i thought the wet scent for a locket was also better than Bliss. It's very creamy and very buttery and a nice scent for chocolate lovers. Would also be good to layer with.

Was anyone hoping this would be a substitute for The Candy Butcher?

*PUTS UP HAND*

Yes! Meeeee!! I was!!!!!!!

And praises be to the Lab.. IT IS!! Well, I wouldn't say "substitute", because CB is really (imo) superior in its creaminess and subtlety, but it's a good second best :smile: Oh how I love The Candy Butcher, with his creamy chocolate voluptuousness, but oh how he taunts me by having disappeared off the face of the earth. Now I can stop searching the galaxy for it, because I have Milk Chocolate Buttercream and quite frankly, that smart-ass "ner ner nee ner ner I'm discontinued" Mr Candy Butcher should be peeing his pants with jealousy right about now because this is sublime.

I get the Bliss comparison, but to me Bliss is pretty much straight-up rich dark chocolate. Milk Chocolate Buttercream is definitely more in the Candy Butcher/Midway family of chocolates with its lovely smooth creaminess. I'm not finding this super-sweet in a sickly way - I'm guessing that's because it's a butter cream rather than a sugary cream, it has a golden warmth about its sweetness. And it's definitely milk chocolate, not dark chocolate.

Bonus - it stays on my skin for ages! I'm very very happy with this!

If you're not sure about the whole "do I really want to smell like chocolate" thing.. I'd really encourage you to give it a chance, it's much more than just a chocolate smell. Oh, and the label's pretty too, as are all the Box of Chocolates labels.

Mr Candy Butcher - if you're reading this - you'll always have a special place in my heart, but for now I have a new love. Just sit quietly in your bottle and I'll come back to you one day.

Edited by sunshinedaisybliss

Words cannot describe the absolute decadence of this scent. Nowhere have I ever seen Milk Chocolate & Buttercream so perfectly blended; so well balanced. Usually when you find this blend together, Chocolate overtakes the scent. Believe me, I know. But this? No, my friends. No. This is the exception to the rule. As it dries, it becomes deliciously sweet...like fresh, light creamy chocolate whipped buttercream, fluffy as fluffy can be. Yeah. It's that good.

:wub3:

This is my favorite of the non-white chocolates in the box!

In the bottle: It smells exactly like a wonderfully rich and delectable chocolate buttercream frosting!!

Wet on my skin: This is the real thing baby. I'm not usually a fan of the lab chocolate notes, but first El Dia del Reyes changed all that, and now this!

Drydown: I want to eat my own flesh. I think I was safer when I didn't like the lab's chocolate notes. :twisted:

Verdict: This is delicious! :yum:

This and the Pepper Smoked Caramel were my favorites of the chocolate box when I sniffed them all in the bottles. In the bottle, this is a creamy, frosty chocolate smell, like a chocolate shake topped off with whipped cream. :yum:

On my skin, it starts off with that same smell, and dries down to smell a lot like Lump of Coal plus sugar cookies (fresh Lump of Coal, not aged). It's insanely rich chocolate that reminds me of freshly baked fudgey brownies. My boy normally doesn't like foodies, but he liked this, and said it smelled like baking chocolate chip cookies and sugar cookies. It smells a bit like sugar cookies to me after a while too.

It's like baked goodies, extra sugar, and a creamy edge.

Milk Chocolate Buttercream is just amazing, sweet, and comforting. I love foodie scents, and I need at least a dozen more bottles of this :wub2:

A creamy, frothy, rich, and very sweet chocolate indeed. :) Something kind of Gelt-ish about it (I've only sniffed Bliss in a bottle before, so I can't draw any comparisons), but it never goes powdery and there's an ALMOST boozey tone to it. I was happy that I never had to sit through the weird, very distinct "nut" smell that I get from many chocolate scents (cocoa absolute and Centzon Totochtin are exceptions). The Candy Butcher went from a chocolate-and-nut candy bar to mainly cream on my skin, but Milk Chocolate Buttercream stays true to its namesake throughout all the stages. Delicious! I think I'll be getting a bottle before Lupercalia season ends!

imp-> Rich, rich chocolate. This reminds me a lot of Bliss, but it's a bit...more.

wet-> Oh sweet rich chocolate! It smells like chocolate cake batter! Creamy and rich and so good you don't even want to wait until it's cooked to dig in :)

After a while-> Sadly, as this dries to starts to take on a plastic tone with me. Before it gets completely plastic, it disappears completely! No hint of yummy chocolate, or anything else for that matter. Not even a whiff!

A creamier, milkier Bliss, very straightforward. I like this but the longer I wear it the more I'm picking up on a plasticky quality in it. I hope it goes away again but I'm not holding my breath.

This is 1000 times better, buttery and richer than Bliss. I found Bliss too plain nutty to satisfy my choco cravings, and this oil indeed does! It`s like a light french mousse melting in a second in your mouth and giving you caloric adrenaline in a second! Oh the love of this!

to me, Bliss smells like the powder brownie mix from a box - just the straight powder. i don't like that, but i can see how other people would!

but sniffed from the bottle, Milk Chocolate Buttercream smells like cheesecake brownie batter, all mixed up and ready to bake. if only it smelled that good once it hits my skin! on me, it immediately changes and becomes a "chocolate flavoured" cheap plasticky type scent... like a chocolate scented plastic toy. it isn't bad, but it isn't fabulous. and to compare it to Candy Butcher? if CB is a 10 on a 10 scale, then this is a 2.

i like this, but only just barely. if it was a GC, i wouldn't keep more than an imp of it... if that.

In Bottle - Here, it smells mostly just like Bliss. Maybe a touch, touch, touch of Gluttony. Nowhere near as ...gluttonous as Gluttony.

Wet on Skin, First Applied - If Bliss is sort of cheap Hershey's chocolate, Milk Chocolate Buttercream is a nice little truffle. See's, I'm thinking. Which is one of my favorite chocolate thing, ever. Well, or See's many fruit truffles. I go on...

Dry, on Skin - Stays a quality, deep sort of milk chocolate with a little hint of vanilla buttercream. Doesn't last very long at all, and is quite subtle. I'm still debating whether or not I want to purchase a bottle...Smells so great, but I just wonder how often I'll be looking to smell exactly like my favorite candy. I'm just not sure...Also, the lasting power is a little meager for my taste.

OMG. I wasn't sure I was going to love this, because I have been blown away by the white chocolate blends, and sometimes chocolate and I don't mesh.

This is unbelievably creamy, and thick Milk Chocolate buttercream frosting. It is rich, decadent and very sweet.

I might just have to invest in a bottle of this.

Well done Beth!

It smells delicious in the imp, but turns to Tootsie Rolls on my skin...Gelt was rich and fabulous, but for some reason all of the "chocolate-chocolate" blends up smelling weak or fake on me. So frustrating.

Okay, this is sort of weird. As much as I adore the lab's chocolate scents (Bliss and El Dia de Reyes are like, my favourite scents of all time), Milk Chocolate and Buttercream smells like chocolate and blue-vein cheese on me. No, seriously. In the vial, it smells absolutely divine- sweet, creamy icing and a gooey chocolate base, but once I put it on, it's cheese and chocolate. Pretty gross.

In the vial: This is pure decadent milk chocolate with a creamy base. As I smell it I envision a milk chocolate bon bon filled with creamy nougat.

On the skin: This reminds me of Lump of Coal if it weren't raw batter, like they baked the brownies. Its a softer scent and I can see this aging beautifully. I think this one will be a sleeper classic in a year to be quite honest. Those of you who love chocolate need to get this and store it away a while. I think its going to be amazing.

This is soooooo good. In the bottle it's a bit strong on the creamy note, but on the skin it is pure Hershey's chocolate with almond! I was sniffing it last night and accidentally touched my nose to the lid - which means I smelled it for the next hour. Normally I'm like, "gaaah!!" but this was an "ooooo!"

Love it! Except for the staying power - it was gone in an hour. :(

In the imp: buttercream frosting, definitely...not really getting the chocolate at all.

On, wet: OH! now, there's that chocolate, wow! Completely takes over the buttercream and is rich milk chocolate all the way.

Dry: calms down, nicely chocolate and some creamy frosting undertones, very yummy. :)

Oh, WOW. This is my second favorite of the chocolates. This is unabashedly gooey, rich milk chocolate and delicious butter cream frosting. Stays true on my skin.

This is pure chocolate decadence.

You know how when you are on week 2 of a new diet (feeling deprived and throwing internal pity parties)-- that's when everybody at work brings in fresh baked goods and boxes of chocolate....You are behaving and politely say "No thank you" when Jane puts that dang box of chocolate in your face only she leans over and breathes that rich chocolate breath in your face and asks "Are you sure" and you just want to grab the box and snarf the chocolate without using your hands?

That's what this smells like. Rich, melt-in-your-mouth, truffly Heaven that stays close to your skin and makes you want to walk around huffing your wrist while your stomach growls.

As soon as I opened the bubble mailer containing my decants I was bombarded by this one. Creamy, sugary, sweet. On my skin, the chocolate became evident. It's not long before it morphs on me from cream-filled chocolate into something boozier & very similar to Sugar Cookie 2005 (at least I'm pretty sure it was 2005. Maybe it was 2006 I had :think: ) It's okay, not my fave. Not a big bottle purchase for me.

This goes on boozy, with a slight cocoa-buttery character. As it dries down, the booziness burns off and there's a chocolate-buttery smell to it that is almost exactly what I would expect a buttercream chocolate to smell like.

Over time, however, it starts going sour on me… and unfortunately, it's one of those that goes sour after an hour and doesn't come back from it until 7 or 8 hours later. I can smell a weird sourness over what would be a nice comfy cocoa… in its end stages, the sourness goes away and the cocoa sweetness comes out in full.

Sadly, this is ruined by a bad reaction with my skin chemistry, something that seems to happen with a large number of sweet scents. I haven't nailed down the culprit yet but I'm working on it.

Recaplet: A rancid buttercream bonbon… stupid skin chemistry!

My rating: 1 of 5 (I'm not fond of it.)

Color impression: Milk chocolate brown.