Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
jupiternf

White Chocolate and Sugared Violets

White chocolate and sugared violets.

Ugh. with this update I discovered that chocolate and I do not mix.

This is even worse: white chocolate to my nose translates to foody chocolaty death + the sickening burnt rubber smell I seem to always get from cream/sugar. The violets don't even bother to say hi before running away screaming.

I had high hopes for this and Faith (which is much better, due to the lack of chocolate, but still too heavy and creamy) but...total failure!

wow, a white chocolate scent that doesn't go gacky on me!

this one is actually quite nice.

the violet kind of tempers the white c hocolate and makes this a sweet violet scent rather than a gacky, way too sweet candy scent.

Oh gods. :thud:

This is my personal holy grail of fragrance. I'd been wanting to try Faith, but I really can't imagine it being any better than this.

There was this ultra-posh French chocolate shop in town years ago that I would occasionally buy four or five chocolates from (which was about all I could afford) They did these chocolates with a little candied violet flower on top. The filling was a violet-flavoured creme fraiche, and this smells just like that. :wub2:

White Chocolate and Sugared Violets

I'm usually not a fan of violets, but this combination is really beautiful. The violet is violetty without being all up in my face (nose), and the chocolate is a true chocolatey scent.

Bottle: Sticky white chocolate and the sweet, sugared violets of Faith.

Wet: This is pretty true to the name. On my skin it goes a bit powdery but the drydown is all creamy white chocolate and a touch of violet.

Dry: The chocolate backs off a bit and the violets take full force. This is a very feminine, sexy sort of scent. It has a strong throw but it's still the sort of scent that makes a person want to lean in closer to smell you. Wore it to a business function today and about 80% of the colleagues I was catching up with were like, "OMG! YOU SMELL AWESOME!" It's very unusual and interesting without being kind of weird interesting (say, Black Annis or Depraved) or sex kitten take-me-now interesting.

Throw: Good.

Overall: I really like this. Totally forgot I had it but there you go. Am glad to have the bottle at this point in time I'm not going to consider selling organs or firstborn childrent o get more.

Sniffed: Pale yellow oil. Chocolate galore - MILK chocolate and a hint of sugared violets (essentially Faith) far below. Rich and cloying and reminds me of the note in Bliss. I am not hopeful.

Wet: Chocolatey chocolate! I get a bit of the feel I got from Dark Chocolate (the Gaiman LE) as well as Bliss. The violets are definitely the same as in Faith. This is definitely not white chocolate...but it's darkened on my skin such that I don't mind (I just hate milk chocolate) - so it's a very dark milk chocolate.

Dry: Insane throw, this stuff. About 95% chocolate, 5% violets. This does not go the way of Bliss, though it is more milky than I would like - it's very rich and creamy, but I sorta like it. Extremely foody, but not nearly as cloyingly sweet as in the vial.

Summary: No morphing. Rich creamy dark milk chocolate over faintly powdery sugared violets. Fantastic throw & longevity. Too foody for me, but nice, and many hours later it dries down to essentially Faith.

Sweet. So, so sweet. Very white sugar on me, not quite the cocoa that others have described. After a few minutes the violets come out more and give it a slightly spicy-floral edge, but mostly just sweet--not quite foody in the way that, say, Eat Me is, but more like a sugar bowl next to a bouquet of violets. Expensive candy and teatime.

I'm glad I tried this, and will use up the imp, but I'm not sure I'll need more--I have to be in the right mood.

I really didn't get the white chocolate note in here like I did in some of the other Box of Chocolates scents. Instead, this one is pretty much Faith on me: sugary violets. Pretty, but on me the similarity to Faith is strong enough that I can just keep that bottle instead.

I love violet (used to wear Violet Angel before discovering BPAL) so this was a scent I definitely wanted to try...

In the bottle: The same white chocolate from white chocolate, marshmallow and coconut.

Wet: Rich, creamy violet.

Dry: Violet with a little white chocolate. It's not as sweet as I expect, but gorgeous and I think more wearable than if it was more sugary.

I love it. I think I'm going to have to get hold of some Faith as well now I've tried Beth's violet note.

Creamy, sweet violets. Personally, I really like this scent. I've worn it several times while just hanging around the house, and I enjoy it. I like violets -- it's one of the few floral notes I truly like and don't just tolerate -- and this sweet soft version is pretty. The creamy part of the chocolate note goes a little bit wonky on me after an hour or so (creaminess tends to do that on me), but unless my nose is right next to my skin I don't notice it. So that didn't bother me too much.

My husband, though... not his fave.

He walked in the room about an hour ago and said, "Something smells weird in here." I said, "Does it smell like wet dog? Because the dogs were just out in the snow." He said, "No. Smells like BPAL. But one I don't like." I held out one wrist. "Nope, not that one." Held out the other wrist. "It's that one. It smells better close up, but from the doorway it doesn't smell good."

Poor White Chocolate and Sugared Violets. Voted icky by the hubby. :(

(Also, he could smell it from the doorway? Damn. I just put some oil on my wrist. I thought the scent was just in a small little area right around me. I couldn't even smell it that well. Sheesh, I wonder if I'm bowling people over with my perfume without realizing it.)

Edited by filigree_shadow

In the imp, this smells like a lighter chocolate and a faint floral. On my skin, this is a pretty equal mix of chocolate and light violets; it smells vaguely like Silver Phoenix from this year. We'll see what this does. The violets make it vaguely like Silver Phoenix, and the chocolate doesn't really show. Don't really need a duplicate scent, so going to pass this on.

Edited by Venneh

The chocolate was much more dominant than the violet on my skin. It was mostly a light chocolate scent with a hint of floral underneath. Not my favorite from the bunch but I liked it enough to keep it.

Softly sugar dusted violets. My skin completely eats this within five minutes. Pretty, but too ephemeral for my tastes.

White Chocolate and Sugared Violets = chocolate (not quite white but not quite milk) and Faith.

It's good. Really, really good. But then, I love Faith. The chocolate note fades after twenty minutes or so and I'm left with . . . Faith. It's a little more complex due to the teensy bit of chocolate that's left, but it's mostly just Faith.

I'm not complaining! I love this sugar-violet scent. I just can't justify keeping both scents when they end up being so similar.

Edited by karen

Continuing the rundown of my sweet scent disasters (the chocolate box of 2009 was what really showed me that I couldn't do the chocolate scents), this was initially sort of a buttery light chocolatey scent--white chocolate, without a doubt--layered over a sort of fruity-floral scent that I can easily recognize as violet, but a juicy sugared violet. As it dried down, it turned into a very nice smooth white chocolate melded with violet, overlaid with an acrid sour-dusty-stale topnote that my skin can pull out of most candy scents.

I can see that I would have liked it, had it worked, and it's very true to the name.

Edited because my auto-correct sneakily stuck in "topknot" in place of "topnote"

Edited by kjirstiben

White Chocolate and Sugared Violets - Mmmm.... white chocolate and Faith. That's exactly what this is. I love the sweet, powdery violet scent and I'm so glad that I can wear white chocolate (as opposed to milk or dark chocolate) because this smells delicious! I do get the faintest bit of dusty plastickiness when I sniff really close to my skin... so I just won't sniff my skin that close. The throw is really pretty -- sugar sweet violets with a trace of sweet white chocolate. It's so delicious. Yum!

In imp: To disclaim, I'm not a huge fan of white chocolate, but there it is, along with violets. I'm smelling violets all over right now, after spilling an imp of Brusque Violet earlier, and this is that same candied violet.

Wet: Cocoa more than white chocolate. Less violet as well.

Dry: As it dries I get mostly cocoa with no whiteness to the chocolate and no sugared violets. Very odd. Not offensive, it's a nice enough chocolate, but nothing super special. 3/5

I hoped this would have smelled more "sugary" and bright, or at least smelled like white chocolate. It smelled more like milk chocolate-covered violets. There's something funky about this too. I can't put my finger on it but it's too foody for me, period.

Edited by mxtine

in the decant: vanilla-chocolate

wet: vanilla-chocolate and violet. Love violet!

dry: much more white chocolate note, not enough violet peeking through to suit me.

Basically, this is foody Faith, but with a chocolate note added to the vanilla, less violet and sugar, and minus white musk. It's very nice, but I much prefer Faith, and already have a bottle of her, so won't be searching for more White Chocolate and Sugared Violets.

Love love loving this scent. I have worn it a few times, but wearing it today in my stepmom's house just hanging out and I keep catching whiffs while sitting here watching a movie. I keep wondering what smells so good in the kitchen...oh wait! That's me!

Very faithful to the name...smells just like violets dipped in white chocolate! Foody floral yum yum! :wub2: As others have put it, Faith dipped in white chocolate!

I was thinking of swapping away my last bottle of this, but since I took a sniff from the bottle :lol:

I decided to keep it, I guess thay all have aged very, very well :wub2:

it is as if Hope from the Twins took a bath in white chocolate sauce :yum:

Normally, I appreciate foodie scents but the chocolate boxes usually underwhelm. This is an exception. I love violet so I'm not surprised that this jives incredibly well with me. It's very much like Faith with the additional creamy velvet cocoa butteriness from the white chocolate. Overall, there is less violet in here and after a couple hours, I smell the white chocolate more than the sugared violet.

I just got an aged bottle of this.

I get the same white chocolate note that's in White Chocolate, Marshmallow and Coconut and White Chocolate and Strawberry. (It's the only lab chocolate note that is physically sticky on me. My wrists always stick to my blotter as I type when I'm wearing any of those... totally worth it though!)

However, unlike the other two white chocolate scents I mentioned, this one lasted and lasted and lasted. I could still smell hints of it when I went to bed last night. Joy!

The violet note smelled much more like valerian to me then violets. It's still chocolate-covered purple though, which is wonderful! I had edible sugared violets at a friend's wedding reception, and thought this would be similar. However, it's much creamier than that. More decadent candy (like divinity) and less rock candy.

I'm a BPAL foodie all the way, and this fulfills that requirement-- but it also has a lovely feminine sophistication that makes it very wearable. It's nice to know that even a die-hard foodie can find a floral now and again! :wub2:

In the bottle - A musky hint of a surprisingly green violet note

Wet on me - Sweet, sugar crystal coated violets with a hint of cocoa in the background

Dry on me - Soft, sweet hazy violets

Overall - Very pretty sugared violets, but weirdly no appreciable chocolate