Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
jupiternf

White Chocolate, Marshmallow, and Coconut

White chocolate, marshmallow, and coconut.

gack.

this smells like that last candy left in the valentine's day sampler box that no one wants to eat.
way too sweet, syrupy and scary.

Well, it's true to its name. I'm undecided on this one. At first, it's all white chocolate and coconut--mostly coconut--and while I love coconut, it tends to not love me. It tends to go a bit smoky and artificial-smelling. However, once the coconut gets tired, it settles down and I get a nicely balanced, sweet marshmallowy scent. I can envision store-bought marshmallows dipped in white chocolate and rolled in shredded coconut. I just don't know if it's worth the wait. :(

This is the blend from the Box of Chocolates line that I was initially interested in the least...BUT, after experiencing some disappointment with the dark chocolate blends that I thought would love my skin, and after experiencing the scrumptiousness that is White Chocolate with Sugared Violets, I began to think that maybe I should give some of these other White Chocolate blends a try. Oh wow, and this baby did not let me down one bit!

This has that same fluffy marshmallow note from TKO, drenched in rich luscious chocolate and rolled in coconut flakes. The smell is a dead wringer for these bulk coconut haystacks they have at my food co-op that I've actually been craving BAD lately, that are made from mounds of chocolate mixed up with coconut flakes. I feel like making that Homer Simpson donut noise when I smell this: "Mmmmm, White Chocolate Marshmallow...rrrgghhhhrghhhummmnnnhhhh!" Total keeper!

ETA: Oh my god! Do you know what this one turned into? After about fifteen minutes of sitting here moving on to reviewing other blends I kept catching wafts of perfume going, "I don't remember putting Midway on today, but I must have!" This turns into Midway, minus the burnt butter plasticky note, and with throw like mad. Wow! I love this even more now, but yeah...why so buttery all of a sudden?!?

Excited to try this because of the marshmallow note!

In the imp, I get a deep, bitter cocoa note mainly, though it softens up a bit as it wafts away. On me, wet—a couple seconds of confused explosion of sweetness, then...MARSHMALLOW. It's almost like chocolate marshmallows. What coconut there is is riding above the rest of the scent, very faintly. I can't remember getting a prominent coconut note in any other foodie blend I've tried with coconut, though, so maybe it's just me. I must scare coconut away. God, this is just like hot chocolate with marshmallows. I'm aiming to try all of the chocolate box and nab a bottle of one or two faves, but how can the others top this?

This makes me wish for a big bag of toasted coconut marshmallows to devour. That’s exactly what it smells like - with a handful of white chocolate curls mixed in. The coconut note is a dead ringer for the sweetened, toasted coconut used in baking, not the raw coconut note found in some other BPAL blends. I used to have some chocolate-coconut bath bombs that smelled sorta like this and I wish I had some now because I could definitely bathe in this scent. It’s awesome!

Imp: Smells like icy cocoa.
Wet: Butter and coconut suntan oil.
Drydown: Suntan oil.
Overall: I like this well enough. But I don't think I need a bottle of frangrance oil that makes me smell like tanning oil.

This smells just like the name states. It's a strong white chocolate scent, with an even stronger coconut note, and the marshmallow is the most subtle of the three. It's extremely sweet, verging on "artificial" smelling, but I love it. I don't tend to like sweet, foody scents, but this one has me on the fence. I'm intrigued by the scent, but am not sure I want to smell like this. I think it might be better if it were a room spray or a bath oil.

Wet on the skin is lovely, to me it smells the way Bounty chocolate bar tastes. A comforting sweet foody scent, but not overwhelmingly sweet.

However after about half an hour it becomes sort of plastic/burnt butter sour, the way most "creamy" scents react on my skin :(

Like a nice glass of Bailey's Irish Creme. Backup bottle worthy!

This is a pretty simple, light sweet scent; and somehow, it smells more like milk chocolate than white chocolate to me? Anyway, sweet, sugary, marshmallowy white/milk chocolate with a hint of coconut. The throw is somehow both faint and yet decent -- you get occasional whiffs and wonder "why do I crave chocolate?". The scent itself is quite light. Almost a skin scent on me. It has amazing layering possibilities. I really like it, but have to admit I wish for it to be much stronger.

Wet: Whoa....Baileys!

Dry: it doesn't smell like white chocolate, it's more dark chocolate and quite heavy. It's way more than I was expecting.

about 5 hours later: this smells amazing! So much softer. I have no clue what I'm smelling but it's so good, very creamy and very pretty. I think it's the marshmallow that finally came out. I wish it smelled like this from the very beginning. Perhaps I should just dab it on very lightly next time. I keep sniffing my wrist and whoa.... :thud:

I didn't think this would work on me, based on the notes (chocolate goes wonky on me, "creamy" scents tend to smell strange and artificial), but I wanted to try it anyway, just in case. You never know.

Well, I could have safely avoided it. It did just what I thought it was going to do. However, before the whole thing boarded the bullet train to hell, it smelled like a wonderful marshmallow scent with just a hint of coconut. I liked it a lot. My skin chemistry just can't handle scents like this.

I've had this since it came out last year and now when I open the bottle it smells kind of like sour chocolate. When I do wear it (which is rare) its all white chocolate marshmallow, there is no coconut to speak of. It does make me feel warm and fuzzy though when I use it. I don't tend to use it much because the throw is SUPER STRONG and can be a little much for my co-workers. But it's the only one of my chocolates from last valentines day that I can't bear to part with so I'll keep it.

in bottle: a BLAST of foody sweetness! Reminds me of very fresh flavored coffee beans - that almost alcoholic smell. Chocolately and nutty.

wet: super sweet chocolate, light coconut.

dry: nothing toasted marshmallow. Exactly. Confirmed by 4 children, who told me I smelled exactly like marshmallows as soon as I walked into the room. :D

I don't love it for everyday, but I like it, and I'm already using it in my oil burner.

It's pure, sweet white chocolate on my skin, but it disappears in five minutes without a trace.

Perfect! My mouth is watering now. It smells like all three notes listed, with an emphasis on the coconut because my skin amps it. I usually dislike foody scents, but there are a few that I can do like Cake Smash, Underpants...and this.

So far, this is the third "box of chocolates" scent I've tried and it's the best.

Was really hoping this would be a coconutty scent for me to enjoy, but alas, it was not meant to be. Like a lot of the creamy/'mallowey BPALs, this goes total plastic. Sweet, vanilla plastic with singed edges. However, for those of you whose skin chemistry works with Midway & Boo (unlike mine :cry2:), this would probably work for ya.

I have to admit I really wasn't expecting to like this, since I'm no fan of either white chocolate, nor coconut...

But on my skin this is a wonderful creamy scent, that amps a lot, and makes a nice cloud around me.

It smells exactly like those Rafaello chocolate candies... I love it!!!

In bottle: sticky sweet chocolate and vanilla. Pretty heady, but usually scents of this kind usually feels heady to me in the bottle/imp.

Wet on skin: this kind of disappeared on me for a bit, so throw is not that fabulous for some reason. I added a bit more, and I'm getting the chocolate--sweet and very candyish chocolate. The marshmallows are also coming out, likely lending that candyish quality to the whole scent.

Dry: the coconut has come out now, but it's faint and I can only catch whiffs of it. It's almost all marshmallow to me, and a dash of the white chocolate--this should be named "marshmallow, white chocolate, and a sliver of coconut". Much later, it's gone to pretty much a candy-sweet, marshmallowy scent. There isn't a lot of depth to it for me, and it's difficult to get the other notes.

Verdict: I'll have to pass on this one, maybe my skin is eating up all the notes!

The oil itself smells a little boozy, kind of like good Malibu rum.

For me the coconut was very much front and center during the initial wet stage, with the white chocolate background coming through to balance the scent as it dried. After the first 15 minutes the notes had blended and I am not sure how to describe it other then delicious. Now that it's settled, there's a lingering, rich, fluffy sweetness floating to the top, I think maybe its the "marshmellow" tying everything together...

This is nice and foody but too faint and sticky-smelling for me. I'm finding the chocolate-based scents aren't to my taste (even though I am a choholic LOL). It's nice but not amazing on me. The marshmallow and coconut make this smell like an exotic version of rocky road, which is quite nice but... well, it's simply nice and not amazing.

In the bottle - The faint hint of marshmallow

Wet on me - Gooey marshmallow with hints of coconut

Dry on me - Sweet granulated sugar like the crusting on a really good marshmallow....and dusty ashes

Overall - I guess my skin chemistry didn't like this one

In the bottle: Pure white chocolate. With an edge of something. Kind of like almond. O_o I guess this is aged a few years.

Wet on skin: The coconut's starting to come out now. It's a soft coconut. Kind of reminds me of.... Is it angel food cake that has that sweet, shredded coconut frosting?

Dried down: Oh, this is beautiful. I'm getting the marshmallow now, but it's blending very well into the white chocolate, so it's a little harder for me to pinpoint. It's like moist coconut flakes gently swimming in a sea of white chocolate with marshmallow crests. With a touch of buttercream.

Throw: This has some decent throw.

Verdict: ***** This makes me happy. I don't know if I'll seek out a second bottle - one's probably good enough for me. But oh yes. This is one I will enjoy.

Decant: white chocolate. I can't really pick out anything else.

On: Aw man, betrayed by my skin chemistry. Coconut turns into a giant waxy monster and eats all the marshmallows and chocolate. Now he's hanging out fat and happy and I smell like tropical chapstick.

Someday I'll find a marshmallow scent that works on me. :(

Edited by terrenity

Oh my I was sooo excited for this scent! All the notes are love for me!

BUT

On my skin it was only white chocolate and a sweet plastic note! So weird because I love coconut and it definitely shows up in other scents but not here. This was so sad. It had very little throw and didn't last long either. Most chocolate scents do do that to me though. This was such a disapointment. :(