Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!

Hmmm maybe UOH34, I'd imp you some but I traded it. I'm gonna dig through my imps. I sure there is something close to what you are looking for. Not all rosewood is sharp it depends upon several things like is it a base, what it's blended with, and time.

Us girls will have you hooked up in no time! That's three snaps and a twist! whoo.gif

A few more ideas.....

Carceri D'invenzione...."Redwood, red sandalwood, black pepper, blonde tobacco and frankincense"

Lear....."White cedarwood, blue sage and bay leaf"

Ochosi...."His ofrenda is the soft shea he shares with Obatala, forest herbs, and sprucewood arrow shafts"

Aureus...."True, perfect golden light, refined into an incomparably glorious scent".....this might depend on whether you like patchouli.....it seems to be a golden amber/patchouli blend with wood, possibly cedar

Magus......"galangal, high john essence, frankincense, cedar, and sandalwood"

....I feel like there must be more that I'm not thinking of. The Pit and The Pendulum is good, although it's an older LE and might be harder to find. And too bad Sri Lanka was discontinued....

Wow, I take off for a few hours and I get a jillion suggestions. You guys are awesome.

I have tried some of the ones suggested. I know there are a lot with wood notes, I was hoping for something that was just woods only.

Magus and Lear are awesome, by the way, they're up in my top ten. Thanks for solving the Aureus mystery, I was wondering what the heck was in there. I don't understand how they figure patchouli is "True, perfect golden light." Coyote was a heartbreaker, it was extremely uninteresting.

I have an imp of Cathedral but haven't tried it yet. Sounds like that's my next test! Western Diamondback is on my wish list, I hope I can find some. Checking on the rest.

Thank you so much, everyone. Keep the suggestions coming...

I'm not a huge fan of wood scents, but I am currently obsessed with White Peacock, a current LE. On me, it's a sweet, slightly spicy wood scent and just gorgeous. I think I push this scent on everybody...

Well...not sure if this might fit along the lines of what you are looking for, but maybe Western Diamondback? I am awating a bottle I just purchased and so have yet to ever smell it, but reading the reviews, sounds like it might be one for you to try...if you can find it. Maybe it will come back with the Carnival this year? <hint hint> ;)

I believe someone is selling it on the forum, I could swear I saw it on one of the updated sale posts today...unless you're the one who bought it! :)

My wallet fears the arrival of the Carnival!

Ha!! Yeah, that was me! Been looking for it for a while, and each time I saw it, I was beat by seconds, but FINALLY!! Got one this time, but yeah....my wallet is also trembling with fear and excitement for the Carnival! It will be my first, so I am jazzed! :joy:

Intrigue comes across as very 'woody' to my nose. Shadowy palm, fig and cocoa. I don't get much of the cocoa myself, but its a very deep 'Brown' scent.

Rocking-Horse Fly has always sounded very woody to me, but it's one I haven't tried.

I found Captain Cully to be quite a good wood note, but the leather in it was too strong for me.

Keeping in mind that all tastes are different and that chemistry seems to change things as well, I would actually suggest Yorick - it lists NO wood-notes, yet I get something like fresh sawdust-things (unsure of the english word) and earth. Maybe not what you're after, but I found I quite like it, so I can always mention it.

Otherwise, Yggdrasil is nice and special mention for Lear, which smelled incredibly woody on me during ONE week of the month, but is almost Fruity otherwise.

As I tend to note, my reactions to scents arent usually the same as others, so I'm unsure how far I can be trusted here :/

Can't believe no one has mentioned Ranger yet: Buckskin accord with Terebinth pine, Russian birch, black ironwood, elder bark, hay, armoise, juniper, patchouli, galangal root, Spanish moss, and cabreuva. It gave me a strong mental image of standing in the middle of a forest wearing a well-worn and softened leather jacket.

Odin is a nice woodsy blend as well: His scent is dry elm bark, amaranth, warrior’s musk, and Odin’s Nine Herbs of Power.

Ha!! Yeah, that was me! Been looking for it for a while, and each time I saw it, I was beat by seconds, but FINALLY!! Got one this time, but yeah....my wallet is also trembling with fear and excitement for the Carnival! It will be my first, so I am jazzed! :joy:

Aha. I see how it is. *amused*

Well, if anybody is willing to have mercy on us monitarily disadvantaged people and decant a few drops just to try it out, I'm sure something could be arranged to pay that person back...

Intrigue is on my wish list, and I added Captain Cully to it last night. Yggdrasil punched me in the face, it was super strong.

The main hope for the thread was to find something that was just woods only, like De Sade is pretty much leather only, without any flowers, fruits or herbs. I can't believe that's so hard to find.

The main hope for the thread was to find something that was just woods only, like De Sade is pretty much leather only, without any flowers, fruits or herbs. I can't believe that's so hard to find.

That's why I mentioned the Rocking Horse Fly - it may not be all wood, but it is at least all tree!

That's why I mentioned the Rocking Horse Fly - it may not be all wood, but it is at least all tree!

Ah, missed this the first time, sorry about that. I'm worried about the shellac, but I'll give it a shot. And I love your sig quote.

Meanwhile, I think Cathedral is a winner, kids.

Yay! That is one of my top 10 BPALs and the one that I would have suggested if I had actually taken the time to post here........I know, after the fact, huh? :lol: I'm kind of a girly girl who gravitates towards wood, smoke, incense and resins. I discovered Cathedral early on and it has remained a favorite of mine. I'm glad that you like it.

Sleeping Nymphs and Satyrs was very woodsy/cologny on me.

It lists rose and vanilla (twice), and I normally amp vanilla. But I got a really deep woodsy scent from it.

I love The Red Queen, I get a sweet cherry wood scent from it. Also Falling Leaf Moon, Anne Bonny, and The Twisted Oak Tree, come to mind.

Edited by Finny

Vanillabean recommending vanilla is funny somehow. The problem is, I can't do vanilla. The only time it's ever worked at all on me was in Snake Oil, otherwise it's just... blech. Sickly sweet. It ruined the otherwise perfect Antikthera Mechanism for me.

I love most wood notes. There used to be a fragrance oil line made by Aura Cacia based on the elements - I never tried any of the others, but I had the "Wood" one as a kind of signature scent for a long time. I think there's a little smidge left in the roller bottle; I should hunt it out and see what it smells like to me now, since I already feel that BPAL is training my nose to be more sophisticated, and I don't think the "Wood" oil was very complex. I couldn't name the notes now, but there was undoubtably sandalwood (I am a cheap date when it comes to sandalwood, almost any sandalwood will make me happy) and probably cedar, not sure what else. Anyhow that line has been discontinued by Aura Cacia, so I can't go back to the store and check the box.

I probably need to seek out more sandalwood notes from the extensive list of BPALs containing it. So far of the "woody" BPALs I've tried:

Antikythera Mechanism - (LOVE, there isn't a single note in it that I don't love)

Arkham - (my first big bottle: I still think it's great, but not quite as woodsy as I'd like - the wildflower notes seem to be crowding any wood notes.)

Black Forest - (I liked this a lot - pine, juniper, cypress - and the addition of the musk seemed to make it more personal or sensual or something)

Yggdrasil - (Unexpectedly disappointing. I didn't get any of the resinous type notes that I like; smelled to me like old, dried-out, faded wood of some not-very-aromatic variety.)

Rome - (I smell almost nothing but rose; although there's supposed to be cypress and juniper, both of which I love. I may be a rose "amper.")

On the list of GCs to try soon: Coyote, Alecto, Lear, Cathedral, Half Elf...

Having read the descriptions here, I think Sri Lanka is one I'd really like to try, sandalwood slut that I am. Damn you, discontinuation!

I'm not sure I even dare to go and read the Sandalwood recommendations topic.

Coyote is great! I'm wearing it right now, as a matter of fact. It's a very warm, dry, sagebrush sort of scent -- definitely more desert-y than foresty. Seems to go well with the summery weather we're having so it's been getting a lot of wear :)

I'm also a huge fan of the woodsy scents -- here's my reactions to the ones I've tried:

Troll: sweet pinesap; also getting a TON of play lately

Ochosi: beautiful and cedary, similar to Coyote but a much stronger woody note

Whoso List to Hunt: this was a weird one on me -- it was all sexy woodsy musk in the imp but turned to woodsy powder the second it hit my skin. Not bad, I just wish the wet stage lingered more.

Elf: GAH, so good. I used up the imp so long ago I can barely remember what it smelled like except AWESOME.

Tombstone: a really nice balanced blend of cedar and vanilla. I generally avoid vanilla like the plague but I found this very wearable and comforting.

Have you sniffed Male Nude, Arms Upstretched? It was with the 2011 Lupers I think. Dark musk, linen and chypre.

Some interesting GCs:

Incantation: Deep, wispy, and unfathomably dark: vetiver, dark woods, crumbling and burnt black sandalwood and a drop of lemon rind.

Coyote: The warmth of doeskin, dry plains grasses and soft, dusty woods warmed by amber and a downy, gentle coat of deep musk.

Aziraphale: Ethereal musk, blonde woods, and dusty Bible accord.

And another old LE:

The School House: Dandelion, white clover, balsam fir logs, and birchwood switches.

Aziraphale is woodsy, and papery.

But School House is more on the floral/green side. I can hardly smell the birchwood, it just gives a certain watery smell to the whole composition.

It is one of my favourite scents, though. And totally worth a try, but not if you're looking for wood.

As for my recomendations of wood, so far the most woodsy scents I've smelt, were Cathedral (though some find it to be pencil-shavings. I do not), Kathmandu (which is spices and woods, very nice, but quite potent on me), Ouija (which smells like polished wood), Tombstone (dry, dusty and sweet wood, under the sunlight) and The Magician from the Tarot series (very woody, slightly inscensey).

I love most wood notes. There used to be a fragrance oil line made by Aura Cacia based on the elements - I never tried any of the others, but I had the "Wood" one as a kind of signature scent for a long time. I think there's a little smidge left in the roller bottle; I should hunt it out and see what it smells like to me now, since I already feel that BPAL is training my nose to be more sophisticated, and I don't think the "Wood" oil was very complex. I couldn't name the notes now, but there was undoubtably sandalwood (I am a cheap date when it comes to sandalwood, almost any sandalwood will make me happy) and probably cedar, not sure what else. Anyhow that line has been discontinued by Aura Cacia, so I can't go back to the store and check the box.

I probably need to seek out more sandalwood notes from the extensive list of BPALs containing it. So far of the "woody" BPALs I've tried:

Antikythera Mechanism - (LOVE, there isn't a single note in it that I don't love)

Arkham - (my first big bottle: I still think it's great, but not quite as woodsy as I'd like - the wildflower notes seem to be crowding any wood notes.)

Black Forest - (I liked this a lot - pine, juniper, cypress - and the addition of the musk seemed to make it more personal or sensual or something)

Yggdrasil - (Unexpectedly disappointing. I didn't get any of the resinous type notes that I like; smelled to me like old, dried-out, faded wood of some not-very-aromatic variety.)

Rome - (I smell almost nothing but rose; although there's supposed to be cypress and juniper, both of which I love. I may be a rose "amper.")

Having read the descriptions here, I think Sri Lanka is one I'd really like to try, sandalwood slut that I am. Damn you, discontinuation!

I'm not sure I even dare to go and read the Sandalwood recommendations topic.

Two words- Anne Bonny :wub2:

Named in honor of the most notorious female pirate to ever set sail. Wicked, cruel, beautiful, intelligent, resourceful and dangerous: a true role model. A blend of Indonesian red patchouli, red sandalwood, and frankincense. A million thanks to Juliana Williamson-Page for inspiration!

OK, that was more than two words since I added the description, but you must try it!

Also, for those looking for wood notes, Dionysia is :thud: If you love Mahogany.

also for mahogany, I would suggest the Bloody Bannister, and for Atmo spray, Mahogany hall (very similar to Dionysia)

En Eski Aşk Şiiri (juniper, tamarisk, almond, lavender honey, sesame, myrrh, olive oil, cedar, and rose) and Antique (fossilized amber, juniper berry, wild musk, oudh, vetiver, white cedar, black currant, oakmoss, and leather) from this year's Lupers are two of my favorite woods scents. The Cat (Sleek, black, dark, and clever: benzoin, honey, cedar, and dark musk) from the new Coraline scents is very lovely as well if you like cedar.

For those looking for something in the pine-wood range I highly recommend Thanatopsis, The Jersey Devil, and Brimstone.

I need help! I want more scents like Shiny Furball and Wultic, basically comforting forest scents. I want pine, birch, balsam tempered with vanilla, cocoa coconut, things of this nature. Golden Priapus should fit the bill but the honey isn't really sweetly cozy to my nose. Help!

Edited by Fury

I need help! I want more scents like Shiny Furball and Wultic, basically comforting forest scents. I want pine, birch, balsam tempered with vanilla, cocoa coconut, things of this nature. Golden prisons should fit the bill but the honey isn't really sweetly cozy to my nose. Help!

I need help! I want more scents like Shiny Furball and Wultic, basically comforting forest scents. I want pine, birch, balsam tempered with vanilla, cocoa coconut, things of this nature. Golden prisons should fit the bill but the honey isn't really sweetly cozy to my nose. Help!

My best: Fenris wolf, Jersey Devil, Tombstone, Lear, Odin and my personal fave=Loup Garou

Edited by sprout