Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!

I am wearing Love Lies Bleeding today and I KNOW there must be wood in it because I want to eat my arm. Wet in the vial I get a strong wood vibe....

Thanks SOooooo much for the exhaustive research....you saved me a ton of work!!! :wub2:

Any chance we could add a category for sandalwood? Or do people not find that "woody" enough?

Actually, sandalwood already has it's very own thread here in the Recs subforum: Best Sandalwood Scent.

It's funny, I used to really really hate wood scents, but something must have flipped a switch in my brain/ nose communications because I really enjoy some woody blends of late. Some of my fave woody blends have been mentioned, but I'll just go ahead and reiterate, for er, emphasis, yeah. :tongue: And clearly, I seem to have a preference for teak (though not all the teak blends I've tried, I like, for example, I can't stand Habu since the bamboo turns it all to soap on me). Anyhow, the woody blends I love (names are linked to their review threads):

Antikythera Mechanism: (GC, Phoenix Steamworks & Research Facility)

Glowing Vulva: (LE, Shungas)

Nanny Ashtoreth: (GC, Good Omens)

Osiris v4: (Unreleased prototype) - to me, very similar in drydown to GV, but starts off w/ a kick of black patchouli or some other kind of patch' and in general, has greater and longer-lasting throw than GV, like Super-GV

Sacrifice: (LE, Event Exclusive) - get tons of cedar, which admittedly, my skin amps and I normally dislike, but works well w/ the rest of the blend

Velvet Dogs Playing Poker: (LE) to my nose, similar to the wood in Nanny A.

It's funny, I used to really really hate wood scents, but something must have flipped a switch in my brain/ nose communications because I really enjoy some woody blends of late. Some of my fave woody blends have been mentioned, but I'll just go ahead and reiterate, for er, emphasis, yeah. :tongue: And clearly, I seem to have a preference for teak (though not all the teak blends I've tried, I like, for example, I can't stand Habu since the bamboo turns it all to soap on me). Anyhow, the woody blends I love (names are linked to their review threads):

Antikythera Mechanism: (GC, Phoenix Steamworks & Research Facility)

Glowing Vulva: (LE, Shungas)

Nanny Ashtoreth: (GC, Good Omens)

Osiris v4: (Unreleased prototype) - to me, very similar in drydown to GV, but starts off w/ a kick of black patchouli or some other kind of patch' and in general, has greater and longer-lasting throw than GV, like Super-GV

Sacrifice: (LE, Event Exclusive) - get tons of cedar, which admittedly, my skin amps and I normally dislike, but works well w/ the rest of the blend

Velvet Dogs Playing Poker: (LE) to my nose, similar to the wood in Nanny A.

devilot, have you tried Melainis (teak, frankincense, caramel, oakmoss, red currant, labdanum absolute, bitter clove, patchouli, star anise, tobacco, and black musk)? If you haven't, you should! It's kind of a scary blend when wet, but once it dries down... wooo! :wub2:

devilot, have you tried Melainis (teak, frankincense, caramel, oakmoss, red currant, labdanum absolute, bitter clove, patchouli, star anise, tobacco, and black musk)? If you haven't, you should! It's kind of a scary blend when wet, but once it dries down... wooo! :wub2:

Curses! Sure, sure, just make me add yet another LE to my crazy-long WL, why doncha! :rasp: That actually sounds to die for-- many of those notes are awesome on me (though clove worries me as I amp it). Tobacco... *swoon*

Anyone have cypress recommendations? It's a common note in Mlle. Lilith and Roux-ga-Roux, and it works beautifully on me in both of those blends. What's the bestest GC cypress blend? And I would probably die for something with cypress and honey.

Curses! Sure, sure, just make me add yet another LE to my crazy-long WL, why doncha! :rasp: That actually sounds to die for-- many of those notes are awesome on me (though clove worries me as I amp it). Tobacco... *swoon*

melainis is pretty strong when wet, but my husband adores it on me. i have to admit, once it's dry, it is very, very sexy.

Anyone have cypress recommendations? It's a common note in Mlle. Lilith and Roux-ga-Roux, and it works beautifully on me in both of those blends. What's the bestest GC cypress blend? And I would probably die for something with cypress and honey.

for me, the best gc cypress blends are arkham and loup garou, followed by house of night and nephilim. i have not yet tried black forest, but i'm getting an imp of it with my next order (how have i overlooked it for so long?) so i'll know soon.

hades lists cypress, but i don't get any from it. i just sniffed my bottle again and while i love it, i would never guess it has cypress in it.

edited to add: and as for woody scents, why has no one mentioned ventriloquist's dummy? it's all glorious woods on me.

Edited by hkhm

shipwreckgirl: Nemesis has a cypress note just like Nephilim -- actually it's quite a similar scent, with several substitutions (ginger for tamarind; rose for lavender; red patchouli for black) but a similar overall balance, and I think the cypress is stronger and the scent overall sweeter. It's not quite cypress and honey, but it's got a good whack of that glorious BPAL fig note, plus tonka (which is like vanilla but better).

Favorite woods?

Fenris Wolf

Oblivion

Habu

Boomslang

Cathedral

Kathmandu

Anne Bonny

Aeronwen (which isn't all that woody on me, but it does fit)

Nemesis

Belle Vinu (see Aeronwen)

Yggdrasil

I love the oak in Antikythera! And I noticed a couple other scents have listed "oak bark." What are your favorite GC/LE oak scents? (not oakmoss!)

It's definitely a note that I would like to see more of!

Stimulating Sassafras Strengthener (sassafras, vanilla extract, oak leaf, CO2 butter extract and onycha) was much more oaky than I expected. It's like oak leaf/wood with root beer. A very unusual scent, but really nice.

Hand of Glory (beeswax, dry leather, black pepper, saltpeter, nutmeg, Mysore sandalwood and oak bark) is, admittedly, more beeswax than anything, but there is a nice bit of wood in the background.

I also somehow got a distinct oak note from Juke Joint (Kentucky Bourbon, sugar and a sprig of mint)-- it started out very alcoholic and sharp, but mellowed into aged spirits in rich oaken barrels. But that might just be me.

kill-devil? it's all deep rich oak with a touch of molasses.

I've come to love wood scents, most of my favorites are listed here. I'd add Al-Azif, there are no notes listed, but I get a very sweet, woody note from that, maybe maple or birch? I also love Conservatory Tableaux (Lacquered beech wood and old books). At first it smells very sharp, like laquer, but that fades and leaves a deep and rich wood scent behind, I think it's wonderful.

Oh mah goodness there is nothing like Anne Bonny. Nope.

I thought The Red Queen smelled like cherry jam in a mahogany box.

Sri Lanka is like a chest in the back of a fine incensemaker's shop.

Fresh Inez had a note to it that reminded me of wood Popsicle sticks, or peeled sticks when you use them to toast marshmallows.

Edited by odalisque

I would add Diable en Boite and Ded Moroz (DM in particular) as blends that have redwood in it.

I love redwood. Any other blends, perhaps those with unlisted elements, that have a strong redwood component?

I get a touch of oak barrels out of Dark Chocolate, Whiskey and Cognac, and I adore the woods in Dee.

I'm looking for blends that are primarily woods, along the lines of The Antikdkfghelkda Mechanism but without the vanilla. It would have been perfect if not for the foodie sweetness of the vanilla. Toad Hall is awesome, and I've bought some, but it's heavy on the aquatics. Aelopile is buried in citrus. Dee has too much of something sharp and cologney (rosewood? I don't know).

Dragon's Bone is getting close, but not quite a pure mix of woods with the dragon's blood in it. Strangler Fig is pretty good, but there's something in there that doesn't agree with me and it's too much of a dry herbal. Tombstone's okay, but has that vanilla and sassafras.

Violens is about the closest to what I want: "Five sandalwoods, dusty leather, and light musk."

What's just a nice mellow, or even sweet, wood blend? Like maybe sandalwood, cedar, blondewood, teakwood, polished oak... nothing sharp and cologney, no harsh pine or something like that. I've heard rosewood is sharp, I don't know, I haven't smelled it by itself. Suggestions?

Fenris Wolf is very woody on me, and a bit sweet and warm early on. Fresh, it's a bit sharp once it dries, I think, but I hear it mellows nicely with age, and the amber and red musk do bode well for that. I don't find actual rosewood to be that sharp, but I don't know how it might go in a perfume oil - the only other rosewood blend I remember trying is Old Scratch, and it was very smooth there.

Carfax Abbey is "heavy woods and thin dusty herbs touched by the wafting incense of a nearby chapel" but on me, it's mostly wood and a bit of sweet incense. Cathedral is also very woody, but it's more like a Home Depot, at least while new. It's been about 2 years since I got my imp, I need to retest it...

Yggdrasil maybe? The description is "The World Ash. Nine woods, nine leaves, and three herbs each for Ratatosk and Vidofnir, with three final herbs to placate Nidhogg."

I just retested it and it's a bit menthol when you first put it on, but it seems to be settle into a nice woody scent after 15 minutes or so.

My husband wears both Dee and Antikythera Mechanism regularly so it's a bit strange to switch gears and think of something a guy might like that isn't like those.

Edited by SadariEvenstar

Cathedral screamed wood at me, so that might be a good one to try. (I believe there's an imp of it in transit to you!) I had a bottle of Sleeping Nymphs and Satyrs which was primarily woody on me, though it did have sweeter notes. (I think a lot of it is the skin chemistry.) Midnight Carnival and Witch-Cursed Castle from The Last Unicorn collection both sound pretty woody, perhaps you can find imps of those on the forum, since I see they are expensive and are only 5ml bottles. Good luck ~ have fun on the journey to find some good wood!

Edited by Quiet_Owl

Well...not sure if this might fit along the lines of what you are looking for, but maybe Western Diamondback? I am awating a bottle I just purchased and so have yet to ever smell it, but reading the reviews, sounds like it might be one for you to try...if you can find it. Maybe it will come back with the Carnival this year? <hint hint> ;)

Well...not sure if this might fit along the lines of what you are looking for, but maybe Western Diamondback? I am awating a bottle I just purchased and so have yet to ever smell it, but reading the reviews, sounds like it might be one for you to try...if you can find it. Maybe it will come back with the Carnival this year? <hint hint> ;)

I believe someone is selling it on the forum, I could swear I saw it on one of the updated sale posts today...unless you're the one who bought it! :)

My wallet fears the arrival of the Carnival!

Have you sniffed Male Nude, Arms Upstretched? It was with the 2011 Lupers I think. Dark musk, linen and chypre.

Some interesting GCs:

Incantation: Deep, wispy, and unfathomably dark: vetiver, dark woods, crumbling and burnt black sandalwood and a drop of lemon rind.

Coyote: The warmth of doeskin, dry plains grasses and soft, dusty woods warmed by amber and a downy, gentle coat of deep musk.

Aziraphale: Ethereal musk, blonde woods, and dusty Bible accord.

And another old LE:

The School House: Dandelion, white clover, balsam fir logs, and birchwood switches.

The Little Wooden Doll. Also The Red Queen, and from this years Lupers, The Balcony. Try The Little Wooden Doll, it is a very sweet pleasant wood smell.

If you can find it If would highly suggest The Twisted Oak Tree, a Haloweenie from '07.

It's blackened oak, moss, and ivy. All woodsy and outdoorsy, but very little sweetness.