Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!

Rice paper, white gardenia, and raw honey.

Origin: decant from eviltemptressdq's circle

Initial Thoughts: Honey is an iffy note for me, but I like gardenia a lot.

In the Vial: Holy cow, that's in-your-face gardenia! I love this!

Wet: The honey comes roaring out, trampling the gardenia in its path. This bodes ill.

Drydown: OK, whew! The gardenia is fighting back. Now it's a very sweet gardenia with a soft airy touch from the rice paper.

Verdict: I'm thinking bottle. Edited by Shollin

I didn't think anything could replace Budding Moon as my favorite scent. It just got moved to second place. I have always loved gardenia and have been waiting for the perfect bpal gardenia. This is it for me.

This was the first decant I opened from the package I got from catseyes today.

In the bottle-honey and gardenia

Wet-sweet, thick, southern air. All gardenia.

Dry down- the rice paper starts to tame the gardenia and let more of the honey shine through.

This is the most lovely thing I have had the pleasure of sniffing since the last time I stuck my face in a gardenia plant. I am going to get a bottle, maybe 4. If anyone ever wonders what to give me as a gift, a bottle of this is the answer, maybe 4.

I think I finally found a signature scent. :wub:

Initially, this was a light sweet floral, and as it dried down, it deepened into a full-blown gardenia scent. It continued on as a single-note gardenia for about three hours, at which point I started to get a hint of honey, and a faint papery trace in the background. Oddly, one hour after that, the floral note had completely disappeared, leaving a "clean" scent behind it. Not soap so much as the clean scent left behind after you've washed away the soap. An interesting scent experience--I'm still trying to decide what I think about it. But the gardenia is really pretty, and this goes through no nasty phases.

Recaplet: Four hours of gardenia, then clean skin.

My rating: 3 of 5 (Nice enough.)

Color impression: Gardenia white.

This started out so juicy in the bottle and on my skin that I thought "there has to be pear in here!" I love gardenia, and WAS hoping for an amazing, nearly single note gardenia. This is my first real experience with the Lab's gardenia, and it isn't exactly what I'm looking for-- although it is gorgeous. I agree with the review above mine; within a couple hours its fairly dry and a tad unpleasant, I assume this is the paper note sticking around because the gardenia is gone as the honey is pretty much gone as well. This honey doesn't amp on me like it does in some other blends. This one burns out fast and furious.. I wont expect all day wear from it.

On me, this starts off quite rich with the gardenia and honey but lightens up very quickly to end up being a kind of baby shampoo scent. After being on for half an hour, it's very very faint - a clean and slightly honey-ish fragrance which is very pretty but easily forgettable... an hour later, it's hardly there at all. It's nice, but just not enough OOMPH for me.

Expectations:

not toooo floral, creamy sweet please. A honey-ed white paper.

In bottle:

soapy! A clean smell, perhaps a 'white' smell. and then a warmth moves in-the honey.

oddly enough, it reminds me of what i think of as the 'wool' note in Queen Alice~

Wet:

mmmmm! My favorite 'wool' note, plus creamy honey-yum! A cozy white sweater, freshly laundered(but not soapy!)

the gardenia is present, but only to add a lightly floral tone.

exactly what i had wished for-

Drydown:

these notes become gentle and wispy over time~ a quiet scent. lovely.

Verdict:

I am glad my decant was in the bottle,

so that future decant hunting can commence~

This one is not for me.

I can see how it would be pretty on other people's skin, but it's not a scent I like to smell on me. I, too, find it to be similar to Harikata, which also wasn't for me, although I think I liked it a bit better.

The white gardenia is not a lush laid back gardenia, but rather high-pitched and a bit soapy, almost like a lily to my nose, - maybe the rice paper adds to that impression?

Tissue, for me, lacks a bit of substance. I'm iffy on honey, and even if it is light in Tissue, it's still the only option for a base note and is giving it its body.

In the vial: Gardenia

Wet: Soft white gardenia. There's something about this that envisions the color white.

Dry: Honey and gardenia.

Overall: This has a similar honey note as Giant Vulva on me. I'm not sure I love it but this is one floral blend that I can wear (without sneezing). However, the throw and staying power is very weak.

Gardenia's one of the few florals that will occasionally work on me without turning to screaming soap... Regrettably, Tissue skirts that fine line between lovely classic perfume & froofy guest soap :( It's very clean & fresh & breezy, maddeningly close to Bleeding Heart but just too sharp. I'm tempted to hang onto my decant, to see if a bit of aging might take the edge off & let the honey & rice paper join in. If you tend to like the more classic, formal white florals, Tissue is a winner - my chemistry just can't quite manage this much gardenia...

ETA: Three months later, my suspicions prove correct - the gardenia's settled down into a lovely balanced white floral. Yes, it does remind me of guest soap, still, but not nearly as sharp & soapy as when Tissue was Lab-fresh. The name really is fitting - Tissue is ethereal & delicate... The extended dry down is really something, now - it smells for all the world like warm paper! I kept thinking I had my desk lamp too close to my paperwork, but no - it's ME :eek:

Edited by tartchef

Ah, definitely gardenia...light, very sweet, very soft. Like sitting with a roomful of flowers on a sunny day. It smells like white and yellow to me. A good springtime scent for its evocative-ness, but a bit too sweet for me personally. Someone else will love it.

Edited by GalaxyLei

This is gorrrrgeous! Absolutely love it! So classic and pretty and feminine, but the rice paper adds a uniqueness to the blend that keeps it from being generic.

The gardenia is the strongest note, but it never feels sharp or soapy here-very soft and fluttery. And the rice paper-AH-I don't know how to describe it. So simple and unique. The honey here is not sweet or overwhelming at all. Just barely there-if you fear honey notes, I wouldn't worry about it in this blend.

I love this blend-if you hate gardenia you probably won't like this blend, buf if you are on the fence, you should atleast try for a decant. It's flowery but not in your face floral. Soft and delicate. Totally a keeper!

I nearly fainted when I saw a blend using gardenia and honey (two of my favorite smells in the universe). Tissue does not disappoint. It goes on pure gardenia. If I stuck my face in the center of a gardenia bush in full bloom, I wouldn't get any more of the scent than is on my wrist at this very moment. After it dries down, the honey seeps in and lightly covers the white petaled flower with golden goodness. A whiff gives me gardenia... then honey... then gardenia again.

I find it to be absolutely gorgeous, but probably something that I will save for special occasions and definitely not something to be slathered. A little goes a long way.

I totally agree with the last review. I get all gardenia and so far can't detect any honey. I usually don't go for florals but since this is so different from what I usually wear, I think I will keep it. I definitely agree that this is for special occasions and I know my friends at work would love this.I think they find my usual scents a bit odd. Also, on me it's strong. I just touched my wrist to the top of the cap and it's fairly strong.

Just to edit. I wore this today and while I didn't think I put alot on, my husband's first greeting this morning was "boy,you smell". I asked is that good or bad....he said good. For those who fear honey, don't worry. I amp honey, and I am getting very little here.

Edited by DeniseScan

In the imp this a soft tissuey type of scent. Wet on my skin it is honey and gardenia. Dry it is a sweet honeyed gardenia. I have trouble finding the rice paper. But I think I like it. More testing needed.

Ahhh I love this just because of the picture. It's hilarious.

I've had a terrible experience with gardenia in the past (I had a drink that was gardenia-flavored...) and even though I LOVED smelling the flower, that one day ruined it.

Until now.

Because gardenias are still pretty! :D Really! This is a light, delicate "white" and... well... tissue-y scent, and I'm surprised that I like it so much. The honey is very gentle and adds a pale sweetness (it's not thick and viscous like, say, O...). Like most florals, my impressions begin to veer off into the soap and bathroom freshener territory, but this is, mercifully, a far more gentle association.

I haven't done a test of actually wearing this (just dabbed a bit on my wrist) so I don't know how I feel about wearing this for long periods. I do like it, though!

(oohh, I want a bottle for the art, though...)

Wow. Hello single note white gardenia.

This is sweet, crisp and perfumey. I can't detect any honey or rice paper. However I think the honey is helping gardenia be very sweet and very loud!

Several minutes after drydown the white gardenia has been subdued, whiffs of rice paper (more of a dry note than anything) help to temper the strong gardenia.

It is very feminine and pretty. I do not need alot of this oil. On my skin it is pretty strong, and long lasting.

In the vial, this smells like very strong, clean, white floral and a bit of green stem. It's verrry strong and overwhelming, even as a tiny decant.

On my skin, this starts off softer and a bit sweeter thanks to the honey, but the honey fades quickly. Mostly this just smells like white, clean flowers and a hint of green stem. I was hoping that the gardenia would be sweet & creamy, but it's on the verge of going soapy and slightly smoky.

Tissue isn't really working for me. Especially in the drydown, something about it starts to smell burnt and smoky underneath the otherwise clean, bright floral. It's just not a scent for me. It's heavy and headache-inducing...

On skin: Hello gardenia! The sharpness of the gardenia doesn't last too long though.

Dry: Starting to become very faint and soft. Definitely smelling a bit of gardenia and honey. Also something sweetish (rice paper?)

Fades after three hours and never gets very strong. I don't see myself wearing this one often. I haven't decided yet....

In the imp: Gardenia all the way. Pure, unadulterated floral.

On, wet: Flowers! Flowers! OMG, flowers here, hello!

On, dry: Just gardenia. The honey and the rice paper never appeared for me, which isn't surprising since I am florals like whoa. Not for me, but nice on the right person.

All gardenia, all the time. At first it's a very nice, strong gardenia, but that's really all it is.

As this dried, I was hoping to get more of the honey and light paper scent, but it ended up just fading to nothing within an hour. I asked someone to smell a couple test patches, and she couldn't even tell I'd put anything there at all.

Yes indeed, this is gardenia--a lovely, sweet gardenia. And while it is lovely, I wasn't bowled over at first.

After about an hour: Oh my--this has turned into something so incredibly, indescribably gorgeous. The gardenai softens, and the honey and paper notes turn this into what another poster upthread referred to as the scent of clean. That is a perfect description. I kept looking around thinking, what smells so wonderful? Hello, wrist. Hello, 5ml! :wub2:

In the imp: Sharply sweet gardenia

Wet on skin: The gardenia amps, as it usually does on me, but hopefully it will calm on the drydown.

Dry on skin: Gardenia and light honey, with the paper as a faint grace note.

I'll keep my decant, but it's too sweet to be a regular in my rotation. It will be interesting to see if the gardenia mellows with age.

Wet on skin: Hello gardenia! Wow, is that ever floral. (Yes, I know it's a flower, I just wasn't expecting it to be so strong.)

Dry on skin: The gardenia has lessened in strength, probably tempered by the rice paper. I do get whiffs of honey as well.

Verdict: Generally too sweet and floral to suit my tastes. It's nice on me, I'm just not wild about it.

I smell the rice and gardenia right away, waiting for the honey. It hasn't arrived. It's getting a little salty now, then lemony.