Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
hkhm

Lovers with Rutting Cats

Vanilla, red ginger, oakmoss, palm date, and oud.

bottle: i'm getting vanilla, ginger and date. this is pleasantly sweet-smelling.

wet: what a change. now i'm getting ginger and moss with a tiny smidgen of the oud.

dry: the ginger fades a bit while the moss stays a bit more constant. the vanilla also re-appears to make this a little more creamy sweet on the drydown.

In the bottle: very sweet vanilla.

Wet: I smell honey, but I don't remember honey listed as a note. This blend reminds me very much of "O".

Dry: Sweet honey vanilla. This blend stays close to the skin. Definitely in the "O" family.

In the bottle: strong palm date--thick, sweet and fleshy; ginger; vanilla with a baked offertory cake aroma. It's almost like smelling Haloa crossed with Osun...

Wet: holy morphology--ginger clouded by floating oud and oakmoss

Dry: The oud is complex, pleasing--agarwood with a mushroom and carrot seed flavor. It blends seamlessly with the ginger and the oakmoss. This is not foody by any means. The vanilla and date are pushed down and very close to the skin.

Tantalizing!! In the end, the palm date and oud langour with a very light dash of vanilla, ginger and earthy oakmoss. Skin close and very seductive.

:wub3:

In the Bottle: Creamy, sweet, spicy vanilla.

Wet on skin: It goes on havey on the vanilla, but within moments gets a bit plasticky and strong. Love's Philosophy did this to me too. After a bit that goes away, and I'm left with a pretty, spicy vanilla scent.

Drydown: It's light, a bit powdery, but very, very pretty. It's a simple, romantic kinda scent. I enjoy it very much and received some compliments on it.

Overall: I'm quite happy with this bottle. Seductive in a demure kinda way.

This is really FOODIE wet. I tried it twice and i was surprised that a shunga scent was so foodie...put it in a locket and you'll get a pure bakery donutty scent that is quite yummy.

As it dries it gets a bit dusty...almost like incense. The lab's vanilla does this on my skin. I'll bet for those who can wear the lab's vanilla this will be the hit scent of the shungas. The ginger is prominent as is dries...similar to Teenage Cannibal but without the bubble gum cutey factor. Overall a foodie lover's dream wet.

Lovers with Rutting Cats

Very sweet vanilla when wet. Dries to a mossy incense backing the date and ginger. There's still a bit of vanilla sweetness hanging about. It's staying very close to my skin. I agree that this scent is demurely seductive. Yeah, it's going to be the sleeper hit.

Lovers with Rutting Cats is very foody when wet. In the imp it reminds me of Cannibal without the citrus. As it drys the foody quality (from the vanilla?) goes away, the ginger mellows, and the palm date and oakmoss come out. I has a sweet creamy feel to it, but the palm and oakmoss lend it a richness. Very nice.

In the vial, it is rich and sweet. Very rich and sweet.

On, there's a lot less sweetness and more...depth? Not a floral scent but there's something? Maybe it's the Oud and the oakmoss. On me as it warms up the vanilla comes forward more.

It keeps getting less and less sweet. Very strange. I guess the dates aren't as strong on me as they are in the vial.

On me, this is becoming an oakmoss and vanilla scent. There might be some ginger in there and the oud is being quiet too. The palm date has become a vague sweetness that might just be the sweetness of the vanilla.

Oakmoss isn't what I would have thought to combine with vanilla, but, it certainly makes this an interesting addition to my selection of vanilla scents. BPAL's vanillas like me, and I like them back, mostly. Though sometimes the vanilla note takes over more than it probably should. I think this may grow on me, but, the vanilla may need to step back slightly to make this different enough.

In the bottle- I've just been pied in the face with custard. This is like WOW FOODIE. It smells almost exactly like the cake note in Heusos De Santo (Sp?),

Wet- Mellows out a lot (phew!) and something sort of soft and sweet comes out, maybe the vanilla and ginger?

Dry- Still slightly sweet but very subdued and a little greener and a touch powdery which I would guess is the oakmoss. There's also slight coconutty note coming out as well, like suntan lotion.

Overall- very delicious, smooth and glowing scent. I didn't think I'd like it because of the ginger but it's blended so well that I can't even detect it. I loves it :D

I was taken with the name of this one for several inside jokes, so it was one of the Shunga blends that I was seriously hoping would work. When I opened the bottle to sniff it I was a bit sad that I did not immediately fall in love with it (which is silly since I almost never like blends straight from the bottle). I tried a bit on and warmed up to the scent, though at first I couldn't have really defined any of the notes clearly. In fact, even as it dried on my skin and settled out, I still wasn't picking up any one note that was stronger than another. Instead, this simply turned into a very yummy scent that I described rather vividly to a friend on the phone, but will sum up as "Mmm...kitty purr." ;)

I really like this one and am glad I tried it. I like the elements of sensual and soothing that seemed to blend into my skin and I think this is one that I will wear with great relish.

Oh this is a good one!

Wet: Vanilla cake, mostly--sweet.

Dry: Still cake, but now I can smell the other notes, with ginger and oud in the forefront, the oakmoss and palm date adding a little green (but just a little). I can't precisely call this foody; it's sweet, golden and warm. Just beautiful.

I have a feeling that I'm going to be falling hard for a lot of the Shunga scents this year.

Wet, it's pure CAKE! It smells like a vanilla cupcake. Not what I was expecting at all! The date blends into the vanilla cake but isn't an assertive note on its own, and I'm sorry to say that I catch nary a trace of ginger. After this is dry the vanilla base persists, but it feels less cakey because of the other notes that pop up: I get soft moss and a soft wood that smells a bit mushroomy... reminding me a little bit of Death Cap, actually. This is nothing like that I expected, and yet I like it anyway. It stays really close to the skin (and I was testing a couple other scents, so it's having a hard time competing) but it's really really nice. I'll have to try my little half decant a few more times to figure out how I really feel, because, disconcertingly enough, I think I might want a whole bottle of this...!

I'm on my second day of trying this, to make sure I gave it a good run. Yesterday I only applied a few dabs, and today I put a good semi-slather on.. lesson learnt, better to apply a few dabs every couple of hours - this goes on quite strong and lasts for a long time on my skin.

I get the weirdest sensation from this.. it has a very waxy feel to it - like I've dipped my fingers in warm vanilla/honey scented candle wax. It reminds me very much of No. 93 Engine, which does the same waxy thing. But uhmm.. there's no honey or even beeswax in this, so I have no idea where that feeling comes from - maybe it's just a fluke of the vanilla mixed with all those other very organic-type notes that makes it that way, or maybe it's just a skin chemistry thing. I'm not complaining though - it's lovely! I want to attach my nose to my arm because it's so yummy to inhale, it makes me go mmmmmmmmm.

I've realised I tend to waffle on about how a blend *feels* rather than smells when I write these reviews. So what does it smell like? Well, I mentioned the honey (which I think is a trick of the vanilla & ginger combination) - that's really the main smell I get. Oud is just stunning, and that's definitely making an appearance. The oakmoss (which I was a little concerned about) is behaving itself, as is the palm date. So for me - it's all about the gorgeous creaminess of the vanilla, ginger and oud.

This is my favourite Shunga so far.. while I love many BPALs because they just smell so damn good, I especially love the ones that give me a warm and comforting feeling and Lovers with Rutting Cats definitely goes into that category. Oh, and the label art is fabulous too :smile:

I can't decide if this is lovely or freaky or both. I think it's the same vanilla used in Love's Philosophy, because it keeps going back and forth between gorgeous and wintergreen. For some freaky reason, I'm getting a hint of orange here, too. Overall, though, everything is so perfectly balanced that I don't have any notes standing out to me. I'm going to have to see how it does in my locket- as long as the wintergreen stays away, this will be a bottle purchase.

In Bottle - Smells like a lot of vanilla, and a little ginger. Very gorgeous, and not at all over-complicated!

Wet on Skin, First Applied - Some sort of ginger cupcake with thick vanilla frosting. It isn't too sweet though, not sugary at all, very much a real vanilla scent (more like the pod, or an extract) with a soft, not-too-spicy ginger base.

Dry, on Skin - Settles down into an even less sweet fragrance, probably the oakmoss and...oud? Hm, whatever it is, smells gorgeous. Subtle throw, lasts about six hours, with some subtle lingerings near the initial points of application for the remainder of the night. It is different enough from any of my other ginger scents that it is definitely worth picking a bottle up.

This smells like vanilla on me at first, nothing else. As it dries, oakmoss comes out a bit and cuts the sweetness of this a little bit. That's all I get from this though - it's pretty but it's a too subtle for me (and stays VERY close to the skin, with little throw).

There's a gorgeously buttery spiciness to this...in the imp it smells delightfully of butterscotch. But on this plasticky undertone takes over. Ugh! At least I'll have the imp...it would make a nice locket scent.

In the vial: Creamy vanilla, there's a sweetness from it that should be from the date (I'm not too good with notes as I'm new to BPAL) and a tiny bit of spiciness from ginger.

Wet: Sweet date (?). Vanilla has disappeared on me. :(

Dry: Powdery, earthy and woody from the oud and/or oakmoss. A total difference from the creamy sweetness at the start.

Overall: Quite nice, but there's something in it that doesn't quite agrees with me. I'm still not good at figuring notes out but this particular note adds something to the sweetness that really smells weird on me.

Form: decant

In the decant I cant really figure out any notes and i dont know what oud or palm date would smell like so thats probrably why. On its kinda the same story but its..amazing. Something about it does seem very...I apologise for the vague description but asian with a cat twist (Miyazaki's the Cat Returns, anyone?). The only problem I have with this scent is something about it...smells like a cereal I had as a child 0.0 I can smell the vanilla and what I assume to be the oud and palm date the best. I really do like this one and may be purchasing a bottle. Its a very unique scent and i would defenently say that you should at least try this one if your the slightest intrigued.

*Note: I am coming off a very nasty, very long cold so it is very possible I will edit this in a week or so.* LOL

My nose must still be off because this does not smell foody imo. To me this is a very exotic, vaguely tropical scent. It makes me want to slow dance on a beach at night under the stars. It's a seductive scent, without being too womanly or sexed up.

The vanilla is in the forefront, but it's not cakey smelling. The red ginger adds a light spice to balance out the sweetness and the other notes are what I believe give this it's tropical feel.

I will definitely need at least one bottle of this. :wub2:

ETA: As this dried further it took on a very smokey quality with just a bit of the vanilla and ginger. I love it even more now. :)

ETA again: I have no idea what is going on. Must be my skin chemistry or soething, but now I'm getting a dirt note. It just keeps getting better and better!!

Edited by Femme_Fatale

Lovers is a lovely combination of vanilla, strong date (reminiscent of Intrigue) and ginger. It`s oscillating form gourmand to sexy and it surprises me every time I use, that it`s a positive thing! It has more of a North African, Moroccan vibe to me and the gap with the Shunga concept is what it makes it interesting. After hours only the date stays on the skin and I find myself transported in a noisy tropical bazar..

Bottle :lol:

First impression: Sugar & Smoke. Yeah, go figure. I don't know where I was getting the smoke from, but I liked it. Sadly, it seemed to fade away a few minutes later and just smells like sweet vanilla. Eh, I think just an imp is enough.

OMG!! This could be my most perfect BPAL ever...

This is the perfect blend of vanilla and ginger ever created. Its sweet without being foody and spicey without being overpowering.

It is very sexy and very feminine and incredibly YUMMY!

I will need several bottles of this...

Sniffing the imp, I get really sweet vanilla, maybe a hint of the dates.

Wet on skin, vanilla and ginger. :yum:

As it dries down, gets a bit powdery, but very pleasant. This seems to disappear quickly on my skin, but smells beautiful while it's there.

In the decant: GORGEOUS heady vanilla and spice -- what I wanted Snake Charmer to be (but wasn't on me)

On my wrist wet: GORGEOUS (see above) -- SO wanted to knaw on my wrist

After the drydown: .....babypowder. :cry2:

So few of the Lupercalias work on me though (judging from decants) that I think I'm going to order a bottle anyway and put it in a scent locket and in my hair instead of directly on my skin. I think that should solve my woe.

I am determined to make this work, dammit.