Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!

Golden.
Vanilla amber and orange blossom.

I'm glad I waited a few days to post reviews. I've had time to come to realize how much I adore Khrysee.

OMG. In the bottle she's nice, on me she's LOVE. Amber vanilla and orange blossoms sounded amazing, and THEY ARE. At first, I can see the kinda adulty, no sugar-shock creamcicle that people have mentioned, but then she seems to lay down to a smoky, vaguely orange-flower scent of AMAZING. I LOVE. So much.

I can name the scents I've worn this often and count them on one hand. Khrysee is definitely one I'll need a backup bottle of. Or five. *flail* ADORE!!

Khrysee

In the imp: a gorgeous powdery vanilla with hints of orange and amber.

Wet on skin: now I smell the orange blossom, and it’s equal with the vanilla.

Dry on skin: so pretty! The vanilla amber is more powdery and dry than I expected, and less amber-y, but I really like it. It’s like a dusting of vanilla sugar with powdered amber. And the orange blossom is very nice-it’s a delicate floral, not loud in here at all-it has that tang to it, reminiscent of orange fruit, and yet has the slightly bitter tea-ish undertone of neroli and that (pleasant) hint of cologne to it. It reminds me of the orange blossom in Ravenous or Katharina, but even gentler. Overall this is like a scent of gold dust-a golden vanilla powder with crushed amber, lifted by orange blossom.

After a while: this then becomes very similar to Katharina, but instead of apricot and white musk, there’s a sweeter, daintier vanilla amber. At times I smell wafts of a deeper, sexier amber, and then I smell a gentle powder. But all the while, this is really getting better. There was a time when I thought the scent would be too faint, and it seemed to merge into my own skin scent, but then it showed up again and the orange blossom in particular is delightful in here. I like the way it’s gentle tangy scent is keeping the vanilla in check, the vanilla here could well turn cloying but doesn’t. At times I smell something wonderful, deep and sexy rising up from the innocent, delicate orange-vanilla scent, maybe the amber coming into it’s own. I do smell something O-ish to the vanilla amber, but this is nicer.

Verdict: this is a bottle of spring sunshine. Not summer, but spring sunshine-warm, endearing, gentle sunshine, the promise of longer days and a feel of youth and innocence. It smells just like what it promises-vanilla, amber and orange blossom. Though I also catch a hint of powdery skin musk as well. Think O, but much more gentle and free-spirited, with the honey replaced with delicate neroli. It’s like a soft waft of orange blossom in the breeze, gentle and so appealing, mingling with a sweet yet sensual skin scent of amber with vanilla. At times the amber note really showed off and wafted it’s gorgeous sultry golden scent all around. The orange blossom is really nice too-not sharp or biting, but citrusy enough to add a bit of sharpness to counter the sweetness. I’m a big fan of Beth’s golden scents and I love this one. I’m sure I’ll be getting a lot of wear out of this one during the spring days.

Emoticon rating: :wub2:

Is it a keeper? yes and I may get another bottle!

If you like this, try: Ravenous, Vixen, Katharina, La Primavera, L’Estate, O

At first, I didn't really like this.

As an experienced perfume oil wearer, though, I recognize that just because I don't like something in the bottle/wet does not mean it will not smell fantastic later, so I persevere.

This... reminds me of Snake Oil. I'm not really loving it wet, it's mostly amber.

However, as it dries, it gets stronger and more awesome. About an hour later, I love it. But I'm not a huge fan through the wet period... although its resemblance to Snake Oil leads me to believe this is a problem aging will cure, as fresh SO can also be a little weird at first. I may bottle up, see how it ages, and release it later if it continues to disappoint me for the first half hour of wear.

Wow. Khrysee and I will never be best friends due to the amber, but I am enamored of her charms and will hold a girlcrush on her from a distance. It's a *gorgeous* blend - sweeter in the bottle than it is on my wrist. It doesn't have excessive throw, but it has a great deal of staying power - after eight hours through two handwashes and an application of Villainess lotion, it's still quite noticeable on my wrists. It's very yum, very sensual, *very* adult. Maybe something I'd put in an oil warmer if I had a visitor...

When I first put this on I hated it. I compared it to baby powder and car tires, I believe. Khrysee ultimately proved me wrong, though, and my bank account balance is crying at the prospect. To me, this dries down to snake oil deluxe edition! Golden, spicy, exotic and evocative of a lighter, brighter, sunnier snake oil, but without any of the weird plastic or cloying notes that I get from actual snake oil. It's a miracle. I can see now why this one is so popular. I am going to need a bottle of this before it goes away...ugh, this is true love!

Hrm. This is an interesting scent.

Wet on skin: Light orange amber. I think the amber is what is almost giving me a headache when I sniff at my wrist. However, that only lasts for a few minutes through the beginning of drydown.

Dry on skin: Faint orange-vanilla amber.

I'm not sure if I like this on me. It's a nice scent, but it hasn't struck me as some of the other reviewers above.

So this is going to be a weird review compard to what everyone else has posted about Khrysee, but I swear its the honest truth.

I open up the imp, and my nose does a double-take, and my mind is reeling with the question: why in the word does this smell just like banana boat aloe vera gel (you know, the faux green stuff that kids love) slathered over fresh sunburn!? I sniff again, check the notes, and tell myself that I've got to be suffering from some sort of brain damage, and that surely when I apply the scent it'll become the gorgeous amber vanilla orange blossom blend that everyone else seems to have received. I slather that puppy onto my wrist for some serious testing, and give it another sniff; the scent remains as banana boat aloe vera gel. still thinking that brain damage might have set in unbeknownst to me, so I call over the wonderfully patient BF, and ask him what he smells. He replies with his typical "um, I don't know - vanilla?" which is his fall-back when he can't name what's going on in a blend that i stick under his nose, so I specifically ask him if he smells the same thing as I do. His eyes light up with realization, and he replies that yes, that is what he smells (and his first answer was vanilla - *headdesk* - sometimes guys are a lost cause). I wore it for a couple of hours, with no change whatsoever with the scent before it really faded. And that's my weird BPAL moment of the month I think.

Unfortunately, I could only get one Ode to Aphrodite scent, and Khrysee was an easy choice for me. I must amp amber because it is nearly all I can smell on my skin, but what a gorgeous, delicate, close-to-skin amber! The vanilla softens and sweetens the blend, and I can't smell any neroli at all, really, which is a shame because I love it too.

Total winner for me! I love it a lot and I'm so glad that my nose cleared up in time for me to sample it before it disappeared off the bpal site.

From Khrysee I get neroli. It's almost edible, but not quite - the way neroli always is on me. It's very light and airy and a teensy bit bitter, like orange pulp. I also get amber as an even fainter background note. This was my favorite of the the Aphrodites as far as note lists go, but I am not sure if she likes my skin or not. Definitely a mood scent. Very pretty and soft, with something that teases at sweetness but never quite gives it up.

A soapy start. :-( I keep waiting for it to mellow down, but I'm just getting salty/soapy. :-(

Warm and resinous orange blossom, with a tinge of sweetness from the vanilla. It gets spicier as it dries down. It's sultry and delicious.

This really is a lovely blend. I was rather hesitant to order unsniffed, as florals are not my thing, but the vanilla intrigued. The scent starts out with a rather tart neroli tang... but more like the tart orange leaves then the actual blossom. I was fairly worried at that point (I avoid neroli), but the neroli/leaf tartness quickly went away, and the warmth of amber came to the front. On me, it's not the least bit powdery and it's not too sweet and not at all soapy. Suddenly the amber warmth morphs into a lovely, sexy not-sweet, grown up vanilla. I'm not the world's greatest vanilla fan, but this one is above and beyond. It doesen't scream dessert or sugar, and it almost takes on a nutty quality. All in all, good throw and long lasting. I don't get the same feel from this and I can't put it in the same family as Snake Oil (which doesen't work on me all that well. I know.) I put some Khrysee on before bed, and upon waking, wondered where that sexy vanilla smell was coming from. Me! Yay! My only regret is my order came too late for me to order more bottles, because this is certainly of hoarding quality...I'm expecting it to age wonderously.

Oh, Khrysee, you got my hopes up so high and then cruelly dashed them!

When freshly applied, this smells really good! It does have a few moments of smelling a bit Creamsicle-like, but thankfully doesn't stay that way for long. It turns fairly quickly into sort of a more delicate version of my beloved Vixen, without the spicy edge that one has. The orange blossom lends a nice citrussy tartness to the creamy vanilla, keeping it from being too bland or sweet. I absolutely love it at this stage, and the first time I tried it, was already thinking "Must! Have! Bottle!"

Unfortunately, though, that stage doesn't last nearly as long as I'd like. The orange blossom fades way and leaves it smelling mostly like vanilla and a bit of amber. Not bad, even like this, but nowhere near as nice as it was. It just becomes a little... generic. Just sort of "Yep, that's vanilla and amber, all right."

And then further on still, even the amber fades a bit, and the vanilla starts going kind of Play-Doh-y, and it just smells vaguely like of been using some random vanilla-scented drugstore product. Not bad exactly, but decidedly uninteresting, and nothing like the awesomeness of that first stage.

Ah well. I still have Vixen.

Grade: B (A at first, C+ by the end)

In the bottle: I can definitely see why previous reviewers have compared this to Snake Oil. It's got the same musky vanilla vibe, plus a faint citrus.

Wet on skin: Yup, this is definitely a member of the Snake Oil family. It actually reminds me of Cottonmouth in intensity and level of spiciness. The orange blossom is registering as more fruity than blossomy to my nose at this point.

Dry on skin: Lovely, springtime Snake Oil! :yum: This has all the spicy yumminess of SO without the medicinal quality that it often has on me. The citrus is absolutely beautiful. This has tons of throw (a very little goes a very long way) and lasts nearly all day on me.

Khrysee is in my top ten. So glad I got a bottle unsniffed!

In the vial: Amber, sweetened by vanilla, glowing golden-warm. This is like sunlight on skin, a golden fleshy scent.

On me: The underlying scent doesn't change, although it blossoms and warms. At its heart this is amber—not powdery, but rich and smooth and fleshy, almost malleable (think: Jacob's Ladder). The vanilla is part and parcel with the amber, a barest touch of smooth sweetness but not discernible on its own. The orange blossom is less orange and more a gentle glow, like warm sunrays, that brings life and warmth to the scent. The scent is incredibly smooth; the fleshy amber combined with the way that the scent radiates from the skin makes it more skin-but-better than a perfume. Scent-color is glowing amber. Throw is moderate to low.

Verdict: I was expecting the orange blossom to be more distinct, and yet I completely adore Khryseê for everything that she is. If you like amber, you must try this—because amber is the heart and soul of this blend, and the other components provide nuance and warmth. The result is like sun-warmed skin, sensuous and glowing and smooth and simply so beautiful. I get none of the comparisons to Snake Oil; rather, this is like Jacob's Ladder with a soft citrus glow. I am glad to have a bottle, though it shall be interesting to see how this ages (since amber ages so well, but citrus often breaks down). All in all, thank goodness I bought this.

I bought this based on reviews that it was akin to Snake Oil/Snake Charmer. I also love orange blossom and amber, so it was a done deal.

In the bottle: Well, it's so faint for me I didn't get much from sniffing just the bottle. Faint amber, a little whiff of vanilla.

On the skin: Where as Snake Charmer is dark, Khrysee is light. The same spice, the same exotic notes. A very feminine blend. Unfortunately it's also very faint on me so I'm going to have to slather it on. For a minute it was a bit Fruit Loop-y but I think that's just the vanilla amber. A golden, faintly orange winner of a scent.

Boy am I glad I got a backup bottle. :lol:

amber and vanilla are all that standout on this one. as it dries the orange blossom pokes out but this is a very pretty light scent and the orange blossom seems to only be added to subdue the overly sweet scent the amber and vanilla provide.

lovely - glad i got this and its a permn't resident in my box.

I knew this would be a good one! Orange blossom loves my skin, so this was a very safe bet :) Very similar to Vixen, but without the spicy Snake Oil edge that one has. A mellower Vixen with a deeper richness from the vanilla amber. Great oil!

This is gorgeous!! I knew I'd love this; with those three ingredients, what's not to love?? The amber note in this is very strong on me, and I'm glad. I absolutely love the lab's amber note. The orange blossom and vanilla are perfect companions, and lend a innocent sweetness to the blend. This will be one I wear very often. It doesn"t have a ton of throw, but up close it clings to my skin for many hours. Fabulous! :wub2:

I want to like this so badly. And I sort of do. It's just... not at all what I expected. For some reason my skin amps the hell out of the amber, and the vanilla is very dark and smoky on me. I get no orange blossom at all. The scent ends up very mature on me, and more so than I'd like. Alas, I think it's headed for the swap pile.

This is very nice on! It smelled quite sharp in the bottle, but it's turning out to be a baby version of Snake Oil to me, with a bit more amber and floral orange blossom. For a bit, it was quite soapy, but that faded after about 10 minutes. I didn't really mind it too much at this stage, but glad the soapiness disappeared. The only complaint I have, is that it is one of those "close to the skin" scents, and fades pretty quickly. I'm betting some age will take care of this. This is a very spring-like, feminine scent without the floral, and more work appropriate than Snake Oil to me. If Snake Oil doesn't work for you, this may. Definitely a Keeper! :wub2:

eta: About two hours after application, I get a sultry tobacco, and it is blooming to a more stronger scent. Not sure what this would be, as I don't think there is tobacco listed, kind of like a toned down, sexy, sultry Perversion. Very yummy.

Edited by milo

I've worn this scent on 2 different days. I don't smell the orange blossoms at all. :( It's pure vanilla and amber to me. I love those scents. Those scents love me. KHRYSEE is definitely a keeper for me!

I put this on this morning for the first time since I got the decant.

Wet, it smell like amber-orange blossom. Not very complex, but pretty. Age has made this less sharp.

As it dries, the scent blossoms into something much lovelier than I remember. It's sweet but not, incensy but not, floral but not. And there's a background of vanilla somewhere there. All in all, it smells like Super Sexy Orange-Creamsicle Incense :thud:

In the bottle: Resinous, sexy, dark. Yummy amber!

Wet on skin: A lot more resinous than I was expecting, but that's not a complaint. Still very sexy.

Drydown: This is now a creamy, gorgeous amber. I can't say i very well notice the orange blossom, but this is beautiful.

Overall: Creamy amber with a sweet beauty to it. This is fantastic and will get a lot of wear from me. I just wish I had gotten a backup bottle!

I tried this at a Meet 'n' Sniff-- vanilla amber went straight to plastic on me, and the light citrus floral of orange blossom didn't have a chance. It smelled a lot like how Love's Philosophy went wrong, so perhaps there's a common component?