Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!

Golden.
Vanilla amber and orange blossom.

I'm not getting much orange blossom...actually, this smells a lot like Snake Oil to me. Nice, but it does exactly what SO does on my skin...turns into vanilla powder. Sigh.

A simple blend of orange blossom and vanilla amber. Just beautiful. She is creamy, golden and powdry all in one breath/sniff!

Slightly sweet, and I am thankful the vanilla stays in the background. The vanilla amber note reminds me of Inez, another blend I adore.

Khrysee is multiple bottle worhty.

Like some others, I definitely detect the orange blossom note from Hunger, which makes me happy, because Hunger is one of my favorite winter scents.

But Khrysee is dark Hunger's golden shadow; no need, just desire. This is a light and golden sweet scent that I just love, love, love. And I can wear her in the spring and summer and feel perfectly lovely.

My favorite so far of all the Lupercalia offerings.

In the bottle: the amber has a heavy resinous scent over a pale orange blossom.

Wet: the orange blossom moves to the front with a creamy flavor.

Dry down: very light, feminine, creamy orange blossom. I don't get a creamsicle orange scent like Ravenous, it is very floral.

I normally don't like girly floral scents but this one is made of win :wub2: I'd love to get this one on DD because it is so pretty! I just got my hands on a second bottle because I will be sad when she is all gone.

This is lovely: Soft vanilla and resins which aren't too dark or thick, with the lightness of orange blossoms.

But it literally lasts three minutes on my skin. SO sad. :(

The whole time I was wearing this, I kept sniffing it and thinking, "This smells like something I know..." but I could not put my finger on it! It was driving me nuts, but I figured it was just going to remain one of those mysteries. I came here to review it and saw someone compare it to Siren! That was it! It smells very similar (and yet not exactly the same) as Siren to me.

It's more ambery than Siren is in the dry down, but the end result is a feminine, smooth and sexy scent. It's not for me as the amber is too strong for my tastes (and I prefer Siren anyways), but it's a very nice scent and I can see this being popular with some!

EDIT - (I wrote this review to put here earlier today, so forgive the edit already!) The more I sniff this, the more I like it. It's really growing on me, and it's becoming a winner in my eyes. Oddly enough, it eventually moves past a mostly-amber phase into a more orange blossom and vanilla phase. Lovely.

Edited by Brianne

This blend is so beautiful and simple (in the best possible way).

It's a wonderful vanilla and orange blossom with just a hint of powder from the amber. In most blends that would be a bad thing, but here it's just lovely.

I really really love this one. This and Lovers with Rutting Cats are my 2 favorite Lupercalias. I need at least 1 bottle. :wub2:

The thing is, when I bought this, I read "vanilla blah blah and orange blah blah". So I was surprised that it didn't smell like vanilla orange! Then I re-read the description, and it is exactly what it sounds like. It fades super fast into a dusty amber, which is ok, but a very autumn scent.

ahh.. I will rechristen Khrysee "Snake Oil Light"

I adore this scent .. I just feel like its a version of Snake Oil thats not as rich and long lasting.

After the initial blast of HELLO THERE I'M ORANGEBLOSSOM!!!!! the drydown really does smell a lot like Snake Oil.......which then leads me to believe this oil will age into something wonderful! B)

So I think I'll buy a bottle......eventhough I wasn't planning to, because of the SO resemblance.....but I'm just too curious how it'll age :lol:

I can't smell any orange blossom in Khrysee. This starts off as a powdery, creamy, sweet scent on me (at times, a bit too sweet). The amber smells like baby powder and a hint of sandalwood on me. It's as though someone covered the powdery amber in cream and a bit of sugar. Over time, this gets a bit less baby powdery and more sultry. It starts to smell smoky and kinda incensey on me for some reason. Sultry, thick, sweet vanilla, smoke, incense, and a touch of powder.

All in all, I like this blend. At times I can see it being too sweet, too powdery, or too smoky, but I really like it for layering with other scents. I've layered it with Tweedledee to get some orange blossom & cut through the cloying/heavier aspects of Khrysee, and it's really lovely. I can imagine this being nice layered with lots of other blends. :smilenod:

Edited by Little Bird

This? Is sunshine in a bottle (well, an imp, to be more precise). Just gorgeous.

In imp: Amber

Wet: Something fresh and green.

Drying: So that's what orange blossom smells like. I like it. The amber is warm and surrounds the green of the orange blossom in a way that shows off both notes without either of them fighting for dominance. This doesn't smell of vanilla on me, but maybe it's grounding the other notes.

Later: This is still warm amber with a lovely spike of freshness.

Verdict: Going on the bottle list.

Edited by EdenIrisMae

straight sniff from imp is sweet vanilla and something sweet...

once applied here comes mr. orange mingling with the lovely vanilla...

this is really beautiful...tons of sillage this will be a perfect scent for

sunset stroll on a p-town beach...amazing ;)

mmmm. warm orange blossoms.

I am not normally an amber fan, but this blend has my attention. It's super feminine and creamy and just plain GOOD.

After about 10 minutes I really get the vanilla, which is a good thing.

I don't know how else to describe this... sexy and sophisticated, and I like it a lot. Think I need a bottle. This one is sure to age well.

In the imp: Wow. Umm, just wow. This is the same orange blossom from my beloved Vixen, but gentler and without bite. I already know I'm going to love this one. Damn LEs for breaking my heart!

Wet on skin: Indeed, this is the orange blossom I love in Vixen, but sweeter and with a slight powdery hint. It's a little more floral than in Vixen, and a lot more feminine. Soft I might say. The orange blossom is very much the top note with the amber and vanilla lending it a rounded, powdered base. But we're not talking baby powder, we're talking the kind of powder a woman in the 1920s might might have dabbed on her breasts before she went out for a night in Harlem.

Early dry down (15 minutes): This just becomes fuller, rounder, and softer as it sink into my skin. If my husband were home this weekend, we'd be in trouble as I know this is the kind of scent that drives him to distraction and nothing gets done around the house but a lot of neck sniffing.

Late dry down (45 minutes): The orange blossom tames a bit as the base develops, and the sweet powder aspect beathes out from the skin. I am envisioning dressing rooms filled with flowers where a singer or dancer spritzes herself with scent and then powders her neck and chest before allowing her sugar daddy to come in and give her this week's gifts.

The final impression is, as the first impression: WOW.

This was lighter than I was expecting it to be. And on my skin this was reminiscent of a lighter version of Hunger - swap out the Black Narcissus in Hunger for Amber and you've got it. It was a really beautiful scent, the orange blossom and vanilla combination were particularly stunning here, but I like my scents with a bit of an edge, so I prefer Hunger. Also, late in the drydown, this blend took a weird turn on my skin. It went almost musty and *ahem* like

dried fluids

Wet it was orange blossom and amber. It smelled a LOT like these. Drydown and extreme drydown were both all amber all the time, maybe with just a hint of sandalwood. Which is weird, since there's no sandalwood. I don't get any vanilla as such, just a sense that it's probably mellowing the orange blossom. Not exactly what I was hoping for. Ok, but not something I'll reach for often, probably. I'll try it again after it ages.

ETA: On me this last and lasts and lasts. I'm at 10 hours and it's still there enough that I need to wash it off if I want to try anything else.

Edited by pacifick

This might sound weird but the first few minutes I smell tobacco in this. I initially thought "oh no, sell it", but after about 10 minutes I get this lovely vanilla amber scent with a touch of something sweet that must be orange blossom. I can see why someone said orange blossom snake oil. This is surprisingly nice. A keeper.

edit 4/11/09 I absolutely love this. In fact, every time I wear this someone compliments me. This has become one of my all time favorites. I find I am reaching for it every day. I have already used up 3/4 of a bottle and that is highly unusual for me. It's that lovely. I no longer get the snake oil comparison. Mainly amber and orange blossom that seems to last all day long. Beautiful! My only regret is that I have only 1 backup bottle and will need to hunt down another.

Edited by DeniseScan

I agree with all of the Snake Oil comparisons. I find Khrysee to be in the same scent-feel family as Snake Oil, Vixen, and Ecstasy of Passion. In the bottle and wet, the orange blossom is a bit sharp and unpleasant, as I've noticed in other blends. Once it begins to dry though, my skin chemistry works with the orange blossom and converts it to that sexy scent I love in Vixen. But while the orange blossom is balanced with the ginger and patchouli in Vixen, it's the real star of Khrysee. As the oil dries, the vanilla and amber back the orange blossom up, giving it some depth. There's a creamy sort of aspect to the scent. It makes me think a bit of sun-kissed, healthy, velvety skin. For the next 8 hours or so, the amber moves in front of the vanilla, but for the most part, still remains behind the orange blossom. I never smell much vanilla, but maybe it'll show up as the oil ages. Mmmmm, sexy.

This is not a very complex scent on my skin, but it's still beautiful.

Sniffing the bottle and after application on my skin, it is pure amber and orange blossom. Just a trace of creaminess.

Edited by angelicruin

This is nice, but ultimately sort of uninspiring -- it's a lovely soft amber with a hint of sharper floral from the orange blossom. Something I would wear if I didn't really want to smell like anything in particular but wanted to put on perfume anyway.

When I put this on, I got that ONE note from snake oil and snake charmer that just DOES NOT like me. Is that the vanilla amber? If so, I've finally identified what it is that makes snake oil go bad for me. I don't get a lot of orange blossom from this.