Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!

Golden.

Vanilla amber and orange blossom.

Okay, seriously, nobody has posted on this yet?

I ordered it hoping it would be similar to my beloved Vixen, and it is. In the bottle, major orange blossom, mixing with the sweetness of the amber, and a whiff of vanilla. On, even more orange blossomy, though not overpoweringly so. As it dries down, it takes on a spicy note--not sure where that comes from. But it's lovely stuff, and I'm glad I sprang for a bottle.

Unfortunately I was let down by Ms. Khrysee.

On me, she is too sweet. "Vanilla amber" is a very apt description for the notes that dominate this blend. There is the amber, which I usually think of as sweet, but with some bite and a special something something unlike any other note that exempts it from "sugary sweet." The vanilla of course amps up the sweetness of the amber, making it "sugary sweet" (which I don't really like) and adds to the powdery texture that amber has, but making that powder more creamy and seductively innocent. The amber in here is made tart by orange blossom in the drydown. Orange blossom isn't really a tart ingredient, but here it seems to complement the amber more than the vanilla. It's actually pretty hard to sense out the orange blossom because the amber overwhelms the more delicate note. I wish there were more of that whispering floral citrus in here; it would have taken the blend up a notch.

So Khrysee smells neither delicate nor sexy, but would suit young women seeking to try out more sensual fragrances. It's a good first "grown-up" scent, but for those who have smelled and worn more than their share of perfumes, Khrysee is not a revelation. I'm sorry to say that it's a rather standard amber blend. It smells familiar and is similar to a few other scents out there.

Edited by tamburlaine

This reminds me a little of Glowing Vulva. It's drier and less glowing, but still a similar kind of scent.

Wet, this is pretty sweet and creamy. Not like an orange creamsicle, though. As it dries, the amber becomes more dry and less smooth and round. It's not a powdery variety, on my skin. The orange blossom and vanilla amber are pretty evenly balanced. The vanilla is soft and subtle, not so foody. The orange blossom provides only a very, very slight hint of orange, and it adds to the creaminess.

This doesn't morph, per se, but on me, as it wears, the amber gradually fades. After an hour or two it loses a lot of the dry, scratchy edge. After several hours, the amber is almost all gone, but the orange blossom is going strong.

This is a simple, straight-forward blend. Sweet, creamy, golden. (The oil is golden orange, too.) Elegant in its simplicity. It seems to have excellent staying power, but I spilled it all over my hand, so maybe that's why it's persisting. :lol:

Edited by naeelah

I was hoping for creamsicles, but what I got was way more mature than that. It's a very grown-up scent, like a golden vanilla-tinged powder dusted over orange blossoms, more sweet flower than fruit, but not a light scent at all. It smells like something I'd wear to a nice dinner party or a corporate board meeting, something I should wear while dressed up. Sadly, I dress up almost never, and it's not a terribly good scent for wearing jeans, which is my usual attire. So maybe I'm not grown up enough for this blend, or not formal enough. It's still nice, though. Not sure if I'll hang onto it, though, 'cause I already have Lyonesse to fit the bill of "formal party scent" for those rare occasions.

Khrysee is amazing. If you love amber, you simply must try this.

Khrysee starts out as a softly sweet, gentle orange blossom. This is the kind of orange blossom fragrance that you find floating on the night air during springtime. Magical. Enchanting. It's bright and warm and hints at calm pleasures.

The amber really comes out to play after a few minutes, and it remains a sensual and warm glow for hours. This is golden, sticky, highly resinous, not powdery. The amber keeps center stage, but there is a creamy and soft, bright floral glow surrounding it. This is luminous, sensual, opulent. At this point it's my favorite of Ode to Aphrodite.

Khrysee smells a lot what I always imagined Snake Oil would smell like. Warm, sweet vanilla amber. Just gorgeous!!!

Only here and there do I get a strong whiff of the orange blossom a la Zarita, but for the most part it's perfectly blended, absorbed even, into the soft, sensual vanilla amber. It hasn't morphed in the 4 hours since I put it on, just faded slightly.

I have also caught people doing double takes walking by me in the hallway.

I love this scent! I'm so glad I got a bottle.

Gorgeous scent. Starts out as a very soft orange blossom then the amber kicks in and overpowers the orange. I agree, it could be a bit more orangy - but a very respectable blend. Soft & delicate.

I don't really get the orange blossoms, but I do pick up the amber and the vanilla. On the dry down, this is Buck Moon on me. Golden and warm with a slight bit of skin musk. Gorgeous and going into my favorites box.

This was not what I was expecting.

In Bottle: Dirty orange. Dirty, dirty orange.

Wet: For two brief seconds this is sweet orange and I think I made a mistake in getting a bottle. Then it morph...dramatically. The orange blossom is there but far in the background. This is where it gets weird, within about a minute it starts to smell like an innocent Shub-Niggurath. This is her younger sister. Don't get me wrong, she's a randy little thing but in a good girl gone naughty sort of way. Now, I'm really excited because I loved Shub but it fades within a few minutes on me.

Dry: The vanilla and amber are kicking into gear but the spiciness lingers. The floral note is very soft but not overwhelming, it just adds a bit of sweetness. I normally can't wear florals but I'm not having any problems with this. (I'm not amping the floral at all and no headaches either) The vanilla here is spicy. This is not a sugary vanilla, the amber makes sure of that.

Edited by vanillaoakmoxy

Khrysee certainly is a sexy scent. She's all vanilla amber on me and I don't know why I like it more than other amber scents I've tried. It's only slightly sweet, but so warm and inviting. It's a come and get me kind of scent, a lot like Snake Charmer and Snake Oil, but softer and closer to the skin. I'm not getting the orange blossom, although that's probably where the sweetness is coming from. This just might be my favorite of the Aphrodites. So, I guess it's love!

This eventually dries down to just vanilla and amber. It's a simple but classy scent that really likes my skin. It's a floral I can wear, for as long as the orange blossom holds on(a few hours). The vanilla amber is still going strong and seems likely to last the night out at this rate.

For me, with my skin chemistry, the closest GC scent would be Dragon's milk. They both are mostly a faintly floral vanilla on me, with the flowers being slightly different, and Khrysee having the amber mixed with the vanilla even in the long dry-down.

I like it. I just don't know if I love it well enough to spring for a bottle. Although I do expect this to age very, very well.

It's fascinating to see all the different GC comparisons for this one! When I first put it on, it was really strong, sweet orange blossom. Once it dries and that calms down, it smells a lot like Siren, minus the clothes-meltingly-sexiness. For some bizarre reason, though, I'm getting a top note of harshness. Maybe the amber is too fresh for me? In any case, even without that harsh bit, I prefer Siren.

In bottle/imp: Powdery, creamy amber and a hint of flowers.

Immediately on skin: This amber is very powdery on me and slightly plasticy. There’s just the lightest hint of soft orange blossom in the background.

After a little while: This is a very pretty, soft, creamy blend. The vanilla amber is both creamy and powdery but warm, and there’s just a touch of the orange blossom.

Overall Impressions: It’s odd, but I can’t decide if I like this scent. It’s warm and creamy but slightly powdery and almost smells of plastic, but not quite. There’s a touch of the orange blossom but mostly this is a creamy amber scent. It smells almost lightly spiced, too.

In the bottle this is waaay strong. I'm not sure what it is that's so overwhelming but I think it's the amber.

Wet on my skin things even out a bit and and the orange blossom and vanilla sweeten things up nicely.

As it dries I get a little of the powderyness that others seem to get mostly only if I stick my nose right on my wrist to sniff. Overall it's a really beautiful blend and I'm very happy with it.

ETA: wearing this again today I can see why people are saying it smells like Snake Oil. I didn't see it the first time I wore it but I definitely do now. That powderyness of the beginning can read as spicy and a little overwhelming (and spicy-incense-overwhelming is all I get from Snake Oil so yeah...)

Edited by unlaced

This ends up as orange amber. The orange blossom is much more prominent and floral on wet, but as it dries, the amber is much more present. It's golden and sticky and very resinous.

If there is vanilla in it, I don't get it.

In the imp: sharp amber

Wet: sugary vanilla amber going a bit powdery as it dries

Dry: *note: it took 20 minutes for the little spot to dry* The sharp amber is still there, but the orange blossom does help to mellow it out a bit and the vanilla in the background smells a lot to me of Snake Charmer Res. I'd call this a softer side of Snake Charmer Res. Sorta like a little sister.

As this scent stands right now, it's too sharp. This needs to age a bit, methinks. It'll probably be nice to revisit after a few months.

Edited by Gunny

I'd put this in the Snake Oil/Snake Charmer family as well, and I'm especially reminded of Hunger with the orange blossom here, which is really pretty. This is very sweet and gooey and has a lot of throw. Probably bottle-worthy, since it should age very nicely.

In the bottle: Khrysee is beautiful orange blossom.

On the wrist: She becomes sharply sweet. I love all the individual notes, but for some reason the dry down turns soft, sweet amber into her evil twin and she becomes loud and pokes you in the eye.

Verdict: I had such hopes for Khrysee and I almost ordered a bottle unsniffed. Am I glad I didn't! She might work in a scent locket for me but I don't have one so I shall have to find a better home for this goddess.

In the bottle: Orange Blossoms and amber. Strangely, this reminds me of a medicine I used to take.

Wet: I'm not sure why, it may be the combination of orange blossoms and amber, but this smell exactly like the medicine I used to take. Not good at all.

Dry: Powdered Soap.

Overall: The description sounds wonderful, but alas, my chemistry is playing a trick on me again. Floral never work well on me. This is off to a new home.

In the bottle: A sweetly flowery amber vanilla... Hunger's or Katharina's orange blossom, most definitely, mixed with what might be a young version of the Snake Oil vanilla. Oh, I'm so excited to put this on!

On my skin, wet: The orange blossom really blooms for a second... I used to have mad chemistry problems with orange blossom but since changing my birth control it's become a beautiful, but fast-dying, note.

On my skin, dry: The amber is taking over. I'm really starting to get into an amber phase---it's never powdery on me, but really rich and soft, like expensive velvet. The vanilla is supporting the amber quite nicely, and eventually becomes equal to the amber in a really gorgeous, simple blend.

This will age unbelievably fantastically. I'm frantically checking my finances trying to find room for at least two more bottles of this!

i like this scent, but it isn't quite what i expected. it's definitely floral-oriental, i just thought it would be sweeter from the vanilla. i think bpal's vanilla does strange things on me though. it's very warm and spicy on me, as i think bpal's vanilla really spices up on me. the orange blossom is subtle, i kind of wish it was stronger, but at the same time i really like this how it is!

Love this scent. This is a less-dirty Snake Oil but has the same sexy feel. Vanilla amber goodness with just whiffs of orange blossoms.

Khrysee is Snake Oil's younger sister. She's all sexy flirtation and teasing while her older sister is already in the backroom having wild, sweaty sex with some uber-hot guy they just met ;).

Soo good, can't stop huffing my wrists :D

In bottle: kinda of a sharp hair spray/medicine like smell - what is it????

Wet: I know this scent - nope, no flowers, no spice (I recognize this smell)

Dry: same as wet (runs to medicine cabinet)

YES!!!!! DEEP WOODS OFF!!!!!!!!! A complete clone of OFF.

seriously now - bug spray? :ack:

However, I do really enjoy the Shojo 2009 Calendar I received with my lab order!

I got my bottle yesterday and put some on the back of my hand to try. She is a soft vanillay thing. I didn't get much orange blossom. But she is still beautiful. I loved her so much I gave her to a friend of mine I;ll just get another bottle or two. I feel she will age nicely.