Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Sign in to follow this  
Cheri

Philommeides

Laughter loving.
Peach wine, carnation, lemon peel, osmanthus, blood orange, wood violet, and tuberose.

If you like peach, this scent is a definite winner. It starts out very fresh sweet Peach wine.
On the skin still peach wine but with a bit more depth. Candy-juicy smelling, I'm tempted to drink this...it reminds me of days of sneaking peach wine coolers when I was far too young to be drinking alcohol ;) Edited by Shollin

In imp: sweet citrus

Wet on skin: very peachy. Very strong peach.

Drydown: the florals are starting to come out. I can definitely smell the tuberose. The peach is starting to tone down and mix better.

Dry on skin: The peach floral is still there, very close to the skin. I get no lemon peel, no blood orange, no carnation (which is what I was hoping for, to spice up the sweetness).

Verdict: It's nice, but not what I was looking for. Eisheth Zenunim will still be adequate for my peachy needs. :)

Yes, this is definitely peach and I get the Peach Cooler comparison. It also smells like peach sours, and juicy fruit gum a bit. I could imagine a 13 year old wearing this and loving it, but this is NOT me.

A light, bright, cheerful peach scent. It actually reminded me a bit of Aglaia, only without the deep musk and amber notes that made it a little overpowering and cloying. This scent hugs the skin, doesn't give much throw, and seems to wear off fairly quickly, which is diappointing, but it's definitely a charming scent while it lasts.

Oooohhhhh, this is the peachy one! I generally don't like peach flavors, but this is a lovely natural peach, and the blood orange adds a nice tartness.

Peach! Wine's don't usually work on me, or peach for that matter, but this is a delightful, sparkling blend. The blood orange perks things up and a deep, spicy, rich peach scent is what comes through. Not a great amount of throw, but such a good oil, I'll hold onto my decant.

Wet: Fresh peaches, this smells soooo delicious!

Drydown: Unfortunately, this goes bitter on me. The scent gets "warmer" and the tuberose appears. I can smell the carnation hanging in the background. I never smell any of the other notes.

Overall: I would really like this if it didn't go bitter. Stone fruits are hit or miss for me. I love tuberose and carnation, so this is a floral I like. Boo to the bitter! Stupid skin! :angry:

In the bottle: throat-burningly sweet peaches and apricot syrup with what smells like grapefruit to my nose. (I guess, by looking at the notes, that the "citrus" I'm actually smelling is the blood-orange; odd, it's not like any other blood-orange I've smelled before.)

Wet: I can smell the lemon peel and a strong floral-- probably the tuberose, but always, that omnipresent syrupy peach (wine) note.

Drydown: I agree w/ catattack in that it takes on the slightest bitter tinge, though I rather like it since I feel like it's super syrupy sweet otherwise. Now, it's smelling more like a bunch of freshly sliced peaches, and less like that syrup from before. I'm wishing the lemon-peel note stuck around a bit longer as I think it adds a really nice touch, and this coming from a person who doesn't really like lemony scents, too. :P

Verdict: I'll hang onto this nearly-full bottle for now and see how my feelings about it may or may not change. I'm thinking this will be delightful when the hot weather hits. :)

Interesting - I chose it this morning to go with the L'Estate bath oil (mmm, peachy goodness) - I get a sparkly peach wine. Doesn't seem to last very long (none of the Odes do :( ) - very nice when you can smell it though! I get the peach sour candy too! :D

I love peach notes in perfume, and I really like the peach wine of Aglaea, so I was quite excited for Philommeides. I was concerned about the florals though, since I don't tend to care for florals, and La Primavera has many of these and I don't wear it. To me, Philommeides smells much like I remember my bottle of Fuzzy Peach perfume from the Body Shop. It's a peach floral in almost perfect balance, and florals that don't put my teeth on edge. Actually, since I love peach so much, I wish that the peach were much stronger. I find Philommeides to be surprisingly sophisticated. Mature in the sense of a sleek little black dress, not in the sense of old.

Imp: Peach. Very sweet, warm peach. I can't catch a hint of any of the other scents.

Wet: This really does not like my skin chemistry. The peach wine note amps up and I smell like that peach drink you get out of fountain machines.

Dry: Yet more peach. It smells sickly sweet, chemical and unnatural. Unfortunately this is really not a winner on my chemistry. I think I smell a faint hint of the blood orange but this is just not working on me. Peach wine = not paperrose friendly.

Throw: Mild.

Overall: Usually I'm pretty good at sitting down and picking a scent apart and trying to identify all the different components. This one was just straight up peach wine from start to finish. It's probably very pretty on someone else's chemistry. It's just not for me.

As a lover of fruits and carnations, I couldn't not order a decant!

In the imp and on me, this is a peach wine cooler, straight up. No florals or anything else, just sweet juicy boozy strong peach. Sadly, it doesn't have a ton of staying power. Definitely a summer scent - I could see wearing this to an outing in the park or something similar.

I had to really hold myself back from buying a bottle of this when it came out. Let's see how much I should regret that

Imp: Warm fuzzy peaches

Wet: Sweet candy peaches and soft rose. Gorgeous

Drydown: Pretty complex, but with a dominant peach note. Peach and soft flowers with a creamy feel

Overall: ....I should have ordered a bottle...This is such a joyful summer scent. My half decant will be getting a workout and it's going on the wishlist.

In the imp this is dark, intoxicating peach wine. But on the skin, it lightens up immediately and is more open and inviting. A public party instead of the private one indicated in the bottle. Simple and sweet.

I went back and forth deciding if I needed a bottle of this--there were so many beautiful Lupercalia scents this year that I went a little crazy (for me). But I ultimately decided I did need it and I'm so glad I made that decision--I've worn it quite a bit already and keep an imp in my pocketbook traveling case. Very bright and peachy and a perfect summer scent. Sadly, it fades quicker than most BPALs that I love.

Edited by tarotgirl

Philommeides is syrupy sweet peach juice when first applied...during drydown I get more of the wine scent, and some floral backing....Il ove this scent.

I have a sniffie of this and just tested it out again. I get a lot of peach from this one. It's a really rich peach on me. I think I need a bottle of this one.

In the bottle this is very peach, but in a very artificial way. There's just a hint of carnation. Wet the carnation comes to the forefront with a hint of peach in the background, which leaves me worried because strong floral notes quickly start to stink on me. When it dries the peach comes back, but it's much more mellow than in the bottle and there's something bitter to help balance it (the wine note I believe). After it dries there's no floral left (yay), so this definitely works for me.

Smells just like peach Jolly Ranchers wet. All juicy peach and glassy sugar-- luckily, peach is one of the few fruit notes that smells "right" on my skin, so no complaints so far.

As it dries, it takes on a slightly more floral edge and the blood orange slithers in. The result is a well-rounded, bittersweet concoction of dark orange, breezy white flowers, and the same succulent peach candy.

oh my! I wanted this one because of the peach wine. I definitely get that wet, but its so much prettier dry. The violet comes into play (which I was actualyl afraid of, as I'm not a fan), but apparently violet plus peaches = win. Its slightly woody, slightly violet, and very peachy wine. I don't get any carnation or lemon (thank goodness), and I think think no orange, though it may play into the peach. This would be great for a sophisticated summer scent =) Keeper, and need more to fill my very low partial. ;)

Ooh, peach Jolly Rancher! I was recently lucky to get my hands on some Philommeides, as it had escaped my attention during its release. The dominant note is the peach wine, that smells to me like peach Jolly Ranchers. Behind it is some other stuff that I can't really identify. Could be flowers back there, I can't really tell. Doesn't matter, 'cause it had me at peach. ;)

in the imp: Mmmm, Juicy juicy peaches! This is seriously the juiciest BPAL scent I've smelled to date

Fresh On skin: I want to lick my arm! Unfortunately, the sugary sweetness of the peach wine, blood orange and tuberose is amping, and it's going into Candyland territory for me.

Drydown: Violet and tuberose are trying to fight through the bold fruity notes, and the boozy 'wine' is becoming more apparent, but for the most part this is purely peach sugar. I'm a bit sad that I'm not getting any of the carnation either.

Verdict: I love stone fruit scents, but too much of anything is a bad thing. I was hoping all the floral notes would temper the sweetness in this one and give some much-needed depth and sophistication, but I just feel like a giant Fuzzy Peach candy.

I also tried layering this over Pontia (lavender and bergamot) and it is much more grown-up and what I was looking for :joy:

Edited by Drae

Philommeidês

Black Phoenix Alchemy Lab (BPAL)

Lupercalia: Ode to Aphrodite (Limited Edition)

Laughter loving.

Peach wine, carnation, lemon peel, osmanthus, blood orange, wood violet, and tuberose.

MMMMM...peach and spice (carnation I'm sure) sing out first on my skin with a nice balance and the peach is not turning to candy like most fruit scents do, but is a warm juicy just off the tree, I'm tempted to taste myself.:yum:

gradually the brightness of the lemon peeks through and the other florals (esp. the tuberose) weave in but the peach continues to be dominant but not overwhelming.Even the violet peeks in and out, here and there. once again the lab cranks out beautifully balance fragrance, and something I would have never tried elsewhere, a fruit note scent.

This is very pretty. In the imp I smell both boozy peach and fresh peach, along with the spicy floral that is carnation. I get a hint of lemon, as well. On my skin, this softens considerably. I'm still getting the spicy floral, but it dies down a bit to make room for a creamy floral. Is that the tuberose? The osmanthus? The violet? I'm not sure, but it's probably all of them working together. I do get some blood orange along with the peach, but it's a very soft citrus smell. Overall, this is amazingly blended. I know that this scent was released in 2009, but I was lucky enough to snag a decant of it here on the forum this year (2021), so I'm not sure what this smelled like when it was originally released. Currently, it's beautiful. Equal parts creamy florals and bright fruits. Feminine and bright.