Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!

Divine, shining.
White amber, coconut, white musk, oakmoss, and tobacco flower.

This is mostly white musk for me. There's a hint of coconut, but it's very light and fleeting. There's also an astringent, almost alcoholic quality to it that I've never detected in a BPAL blend before. Not sure what's to blame for that.

This scent wears very close to the skin. It seemed to fade pretty quickly. Edited by Argentwolf

Amazingly generous swap frimp

Imp: Bright white musk and coconut

Wet: Those two plus a plus the odd, clean smell that I can only guess is tobacco flower. Shades of "The Lady on the Grey" on me

Drydown: That musky, soapy scent from tobacco flower is really overwhelming everything else. The coconut is still there, but really just as an "oh by the way..." I want to like it thanks to the coconut, but the white musk and tobacco are just adding up to soap

Dia

This oil has many of my favorite notes, but the blend is making the back of my throat tickle in a distressing way. That's probably the tobacco flower. The coconut is the predominant note, but it's not a suntan lotion coconut. This is the same gentle coconut in Snow White but with a splash of musk to keep from getting too airy.

I'm not wild about this perfume, but I'm going to give it a few more wearings before I decide whether or not I should keep it.

I love the coconut in this blend, and the tobacco flower, but there's something else in there that I'm not too wild about...I love mossy scents so I don't think it's that. Perhaps it's just several notes combining in a strange way on my skin that just isn't inspiring me. In any case, this isn't bad, but it's not my favorite Ode to Aphrodite blend either.

WHY DOES THE THROW OF THIS SMELL LIKE BLACK LACE ON ME OH MY GOD OH MY GOD :thud:

H'ok.

So, closer to my wrist I can smell the tobacco more, and sort of detect that the coconut is there. These two remind me of Perversion. Additionally, smelling this out of the decant vial, I was all "oh yeah this is kind of like Snow White I can see why others were putting that in their reviews."

BUT.

THE THROW.

Hrnrnghrngnghgggh!

Black Lace is numero uno for me, people. My brain hurts from wanting a bottle of this NOW.

So that this is not all pure comparisons: this is a gorgeously shimmering pale-musky-sweet scent with a faint bright almost-lemony note sparkling overtop. Smooth as vanilla cream, but kind of effervescent. AND I WANT MORE OF IT.

ETA: So... this doesn't actually throw that much like Black Lace to my nose anymore. It is still good in its own right, but definitely has more in common with Perversion - though it is quite its own scent, mind. It sticks around on my skin for a whole day at work, and I like every waft of it I catch.

Edited by dorothy humbird

Wet this is light musk and a creamy floral blend. When first on this is clean white musk and amber, light and fresh smelling. After a couple hours, the creamy coconut develops. A little while later, there's a hint of earthy oakmoss. In some ways this is similar in feel to Katrina Van Tassel. It's not as sweet but has the same creamy quality. On the dry down, this is a soft, creamy, amber and musk blend. It's very feminine and pretty. If it was a color, it would be a pale pink edged in brown.

So I open my package yesterday and sniff sniff sniff all the bottles. Eh, this is definitely not what I'm trying first. From the bottle I can't remember why I bought it.

I don't get around to it until this morning.

When I first put it on there is a burst of glorious golden-ness. I can't detect the notes, and I don't want to check them, but it is very bright and yum.

Dry-down is more of a battle. One minute it's all drugstore musk, the next is that same golden yum.

Now I check the notes --- ahhhh.... coconut and amber are usually really good on me, so that's why I was compelled to buy this. Amber is the golden yum I'm getting, but I can't detect the coconut. White musk is usually safe, so I don't know why this is going all cheap-y yuk on me.

I love the smell of tobacco flower when I'm actually sniffing a tobacco flower (at dusk, preferably), but I'm not getting a lot of that here. Just edged in floral, really. And Oakmoss is usually a home run on me too, but this just isn't quite doing it for me. It's because the musk is taking it all over.

Still. It's THISCLOSE to being what I wanted it to be (and in the first 2 minutes it's wonderful). Maybe I'll go shake up the bottle and try again in a week.

Best,

Tzi

When I first apply this, it smells similar to Snow White, only heavy of the coconut. It's almost suntan-lotiony, but not quite, more musky and feminine.

However, when Dia dries down?

:thud:

It smells like Voodoo Queen on me!! I wonder if it's the amber + oakmoss + tobacco combo, but once it dried down I could've sworn it was Voodoo Queen I had dabbed on earlier, although it didn't exactly smell like it, it was close enough. So far it seems like maybe it's just me, but I'm quite happy with the blend, as Voodoo Queen is my favorite :)

This is such an interesting scent-shining is a good way to describe it. It feels so bright white to me-a wonderful mixture of white musk and tobacco flower, with hints of coconut, oakmoss and amber. But I am a bit worried this may to turn to powder on my skin...

Mmm, on my skin a get a lot more coconut! This is such a cool scent, I don't think I have anything like this! Mmmm...white musk, sweet coconut, and tobacco flower...so unique and pretty! The oakmoss and amber are behaving at the bottom of the blend-no weirdness or powdery doom. Hopefully it will stay that was as it fully dries down.

Yep, while the blend did fade a bit faster than I'd like, it stayed gorgeous all the way through-this one even got the -omg you smell so good!- compliment from my ma. Total win!

Pretty pretty! Lots of white coconut with a golden hue from the amber. Good throw and the musk and tobacco flower layer together well in the background.

This is gorgeous, but it fades so quickly!

clean and feminine, the coconut adds a wash of white light to this cool scent.

it's gone in 30 minutes, though. Too bad. I'm keeping it as it's a special one for days wearing white jackets with silver satin blouses.

Someone said this is very work-safe. I agree, it's just the right scent to accompany a white pantsuit.

Dia is a subtly sexy scent. On me, the oakmoss predominates and really attaches to my skin. The drydown is my favorite part.

I can see the comparisons to Snow White, but I'm not a big fan of Snow White (it gives me a headache and this most definitely does not). I think of Dia as a non-spicy Morocco more than anything else, but it seems pretty unique to the BPAL canon.

This is one of the few scents that works in every season and is non-traditional but I would think completely appropriate for any setting. I love it and am so glad I have a bottle of this.

Average throw and scent-length.

Edited by tarotgirl

Like other reviewers, I find this to be a feminine version of Perversion, which I adore :wub2: . I do find Dia to be quite fresh, however, unlike Perversion. I love the tobacco, and the amber just makes this scent glow. It's very sexy without being "out there", if that makes sense. There is a perfumey note in the first half hour that I find kind of annoying, I think it's the musk, but it burns off quite quickly. The coconut just adds a sweetness to round this off. Perfect.

Something in this scent is reading as nut to me. I think the coconut blending with the oakmoss, perhaps? Whatever it is, it's putting me off. Of course, since the scent isn't working on me, it's lasting forever. :D Four hours and still going strong.

I love the way this smells....I can't keep my hand away from my nose when I wear it. Maybe not so gender-appropriate for me, since I'm a guy, but I don't care....I want to wear this to work, and other places. I like all the notes in Dia, and my only slight worry was that the scent would be soapy or powdery, and it has hints of both of those, but never quite crosses the line where it's too much.

Oakmoss is a note that I want to love, but I think that sometimes it becomes soapy on me. In this case, it's not too soapy though, which makes me happy. All the other notes just seem to blend together until nothing really stands out too much. I would agree with most of the other reviews, this is a light, musky floral scent. The colors I think of are white and pale green at first, then the amber warms the scent up a bit, and I think of golden/yellow threads winding through the white and green.

It's really great and it does remind me of Snow White, only there's no chill in this one, and it's not quite as floral. I love it!

This was another of the lab's creations that snuck up on me.

At first sniff in the imp I found it a bit too astringent, off somehow. But on my skin the notes came alive and the oakmoss and coconut blended with the musk and tobacco flower to make something just sublime. I used my imp up and quickly ordered a bottle.

I find that it is a very smooth scent that when in clothing lasts quite a while. Rich and sexy and just beautiful!

Do you have an olfactory blind spot? Mine must be coconut because I can not smell it anywhere, also not in Dia. So this is really a lot cleaner than I would have expected. My nose reads it as a laundry-clean scent with loads of oakmoss instead of the expected gentle sweetness of amber, musk and coconut. Cant pick out the tobacco flower. Only a few hours later a gentle sweetness develops and the oakmoss backs off a bit, but it really takes a long time to get there. That stage then reminds me a lot of Dorian but is much less sweet.

What a heartbreaker. I hope she finds love with her new wearer.

Imp: Sweet and green

Wet: Green. I've amped the tobacco flower. Coconut and amber are trying desperately to save me from the tobacco flower, but it's not working.

Drydown: Tobacco flower. Nothing else. I like tobacco flower, but I don't need a single note.

Overall: This is nothing but a SN. Bummer.

Dia - This is a lovely, light scent. It's very subtle on me. The coconut and tobacco flower are the dominant notes. The coconut is not sweet, suntan-lotion coconut. It's more the scent of fresh, raw, coconut meat. The tobacco flower is subtle and grounded by the oakmoss. This scent is really lovely and something you could wear in almost any setting. It's just really, really pretty. Thanks for this one, Beth!

This is probably my favorite of all the Aphrodites.

In the bottle: Rich, sparkling and sweet. Slightly fruity, not strongly resinous, I can detect the cleanness of the white musk.

Wet on skin: Light, fresh, a bit spicy. It's wonderful!

Drydown: Here is when Dia really shines. The coconut is sweet and creamy without giving this a tropical, fruity feel. The whole thing gets a bit musky but still light and fresh. It's sexy and innocent at the same time. Gorgeous!

Overall: Dia is amazing. It's the sexiest light summer scent. So creamy and it makes me feel beautiful. Yet another of this year's Lupercalias that I should have gotten backup bottles of!

Bottle: Watery coconut floral.

Wet: A lot of that watery coconut note. Its accompanied by a very fresh, clean sort of floral blend.

Dry: Creamy clean watery coconut for a while. Then, a few hours in, it’s a lot of musk. Pale shimmery musk, white amd dorian-esque, and even a wee bit masculine to my nose. Many hours later, this settles into a sweet, lightly creamed vanilla scent. I like all the phases!

Overall: This one take you on a fun journey. I think it’s a beautiful summer scent, and can’t wait to wear her more often as the weather heats up. Even though this is a fairly light, fresh scent, it has wonderful staying power--~9 hrs on me.

Wow. Dammit. This one completely shattered my expectations. I've never liked anything with coconut notes before, but this is beautifully blended... I think I need a bottle of it!

wet: citrus?? smooth creamy citrus. How?? where did citrus come into this?? does white amber have a citrus note???

drying: this takes a loooong while to dry, and it's creamy citrus with a very fresh coconut - not the overwhelming suntan oil I've gotten from other coconut blends - with just a smidge of oakmoss underlying making it beautifully fuzzy - and yet it's a *decidedly* femme oakmoss blend! I haven't run into too many of those!

dry: The amber comes out and rounds it out just a bit more. It's gorgeous.

Overall - it has great throw while wet, but much less so when dry. Methinks I need to try it again on my hair to see if that amps it, as this is beyond gorgeous and I'm huffing my wrist nonstop! Three thumbs up!!

Oh wow....this is beautiful. :wub2: Dia is very similar to White Rose (minus the rose note). It's also a little bit like Snow White (mostly while still in the bottle).

On my skin this is creamy, soft pale coconut blended with dainty floral notes. This is gentle, feminine and sweet. The dry down is a dusty amber and coconut musk scent. I'm so so happy I got my hands on a bottle of this. Lovely! :wub:

Dia is light and feminine but at the same time still manages to throw on a veil of alluring mystery, which keeps it from being a pansy scent. The first four notes are all white but not a floral whisper that fades but rather more like white seduction :yum: The tobacco flower seems to add a slight bit of smoke that will make him want to come hither just a little more....

This is exactly my kind of scent. I only get a smidge of coconut, which is the note I was worried about being too strong. It has a fair resemblance to The Girl on my skin, but less sweet/amber. I can see the comparison to Snow White, except that this is muskier somehow - maybe the tobacco flower is that stronger, edgier backbone I smell here. I like that someone called this a femme oakmoss, I can see that too!

so, a muskier Snow White, with a femme oakmoss edge =) Wishing for a bottle about now!