Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!

White amber, coconut, white musk, oakmoss, and tobacco flower.

In the imp: LOTS of gorgeous white musk, almost to the exclusion of everything else. I might be able to detect just a little bit of floral mixed in (I'm guessing the tobacco flower, which has a sort of dry quality)

Wet: More of the same up close on the skin, though I get some sweetness in the throw. Luckily for me, the oakmoss is behaving! Up close, this blend is very reminiscent of Ozymandias, but isn't nearly as sharp and dry thanks to the other notes.

Dry: This blend morphs very little for me, though as it wears the white amber/musk combo does get more powdery in a pleasant way. I can also pick out the tobacco flower a bit more, but the oakmoss is still being incredibly subtle. The throw remains sweet coconut meat -- I keep catching little wafts of it when I more my arms :yum:.

Verdict: I really enjoy this, and now I'm sad that I ordered a bottle of Yvaine in my 13 order, because now I think I'd prefer a bottle of Dia for my musk needs!

This is absolutely, bar none, my favorite of all this year's Lupercalias that I've tried. <3

If you're worried about the coconut (as I was), never fear - I usually amp the one note that I really, really don't want to smell in a blend, and I do not get any suntan-lotion vibe from this at all. It is clean and white, yes, but not in a clinical, astringent, or soapy way - it's sort of white and radiant. It also has pretty good throw, which is unusual for me.

This is very much in the same vein as Snow White - pure and soft and white and glowing, drying down to something soft and lovely.

A bottle purchase, for sure - and I'm pretty sure this is going into my top 10. wub2.gif

Edited by Christine Daae

Upon application, Dia was strong, sharp, and soapy. Ten minutes later, it was a soft, dainty musk-floral-sweet coconut. I actually quite like coconut, and wish it came out more on my skin. I'm upgrading my 1/4 decant to a bottle.

Yummy - this reminds me a bit of Antique Lace (though musk and coconut instead of vanilla... if that makes any sense), though Dia has an almost soapy undertone that Antique Lace doesn't. Very nice, but I think a touch too sharp for me to wear (seems like it might inspire headaches). I think it would make a wonderful room scent or linen spray.

Dia reminds me of Ebisu, especially at first (perhaps because of the clean musk and oakmoss that they both share). It's a clean, fuzzy, lightly green sort of smell. In the drydown, this takes on a very pretty, tropical feel. It makes me smell like I'm fresh from the shower with skin that still smells slightly soapy & warm, and I've spritzed on a bit of musky coconut perfume. The coconut isn't the sort that reminds me of suntan lotion at all. It's very nice.

Dia is a surprise favorite for me from the Odes series ^_^. It's a clean, subtle, tropical scent that I think I'll be wearing a lot this summer.

Dia is like Snow White's teenage big brother. There's the scent of whatever's the primary scent in Snow White with a slow undercurrent of something masculine.

ADDED March 21:

All the components look good....oakmoss may be too much for me. I'm going to keep this with the sole intention of aging it. It's a bit celery-ish on me atm.

At first I didn't care for Dia at all... it smelled like generic perfume and way too strong.

However, 15 minutes makes a world of difference. Now I think I need a bottle of this one! It does remind me of Snow White (which I have hoarded plenty of) but it's softer, if such a thing is possible. I get a lot more coconut and more subtle throw.

:ack: Sorry guys, sounds like I might be the only one to NOT like this! On me it just smells like a heady floral perfume that has been over-applied (I only swiped the decant wand over my wrist once, I swear!). I have tried to wash it off twice but it's still so strong!! Unfortunately the heady-ness of this one is making me feel a little ill. It just reminds me of the woman in the shops who walk around thinking they smell wonderful when the rest of us are coughing and choking on the scent of their thick floral perfume.

Sorry, but this one is just not for me. At least I will easily find someone who will love my decant though! :smilenod:

This is very light and pretty on me. Almost aquatic feeling. The musk is clear and bright, the coconut adds a kick of sweetness. This is very feminine, and dries down to a creamy sweet scent. Not one I would wear, but nice!

At the beginning this did have certain similarities with Ebisu with the clean musk and oakmoss feel, but then the coconut comes out... but not as much as I would have thought. It's got a certain tropical vibe to it, but it kinda reminds me again, of Ebisu, substituting the peach for coconut.

I like this, but then again, I love Ebisu. Not enough to buy a bottle, but I am, indeed, pleasantly surprised.

Oh wow. Dia is soft, cool and very pretty. On initial application it is a dewy amber musk with hints of coconut and tobacco flower.

I was worried the coconut would overpower, but it just mingles beautifully with amber and musk.

Oakmoss creeps in and adds a sensual woody sweetness. This is definitely bottle worthy. Maybe even multiple!

In the bottle: Extremely pale yellow oil. Sweet and cologney, light and fresh, with a good bit of coconut. This reminds me greatly of Torture Queen + coconut, or maybe TQ crossed with Snow White. Sort of a cold, snowy note.

Wet: Lighter, less coconutty. A bit soapy. A hint of earthy oakmoss, but mostly this is white amber and tobacco flower and white musk and a creamy cold note.

Dry: Oakmoss and musk making a major showing, while the tobacco flower has faded a bit. Coconut holding. Creamy, white, a little piercing.

Summary: Coconut, musk and amber predominate in long run. Moderate throw, excellent lasting power.

This is softly blended coconut, amber, musk, and tobacco on my skin. This is the kind of soft, creamy, soothing, comforting scent perfect for applying before bedtime.

In the bottle - Sweet tobacco and washing powder

Wet on me - Again the tobacco is the dominant note.I'd say this was a more feminine version of Perversion, but there is still a slightly washing powder tinge to it

Dry on me - :yum: I'll stick to my initial verdict, this is like a softer, more feminine version of Perversion. All sweetness and musk, with pepper from the tobacco

Overall - I was concerned about the washing powder, but this really is fantastic

"Floral Perversion"...! That fits! Though there isn't any of the chardonnay. Definitely the tobacco flower and coconut combination (every time I smell tobacco, I think Perversion or Red Lantern now...).

I think this one likes me? The throw is quite good and I can get musky floral coconut from just a tiny dab on my arm--perhaps it smell a little bit generic/Bath and Body Works, but it's pretty and very likeable. It illustrates this side of Aphrodite very well!

The decant stays with me. ETA: apparently it would! Tried selling it later, but couldn't find it. D:

Edited by MisterShrapnel

This is so light and girly and pretty. I just picture pink and white lace and frills on a young Victorian woman who is standing in a garden at the end of spring, holding a parasol. It is very clean up front and predominantly tobacco flower, but underneath are all the warmer notes helping it to not go soapy or too astringent. LOVE. Getting a bottle.

Edited by Queen Mab

The only possible deal-breaker here for me was the coconut, the rest of the notes are usually my loves.

Wet - *sigh* Coconut is the main note, followed closely by very very perfumey white musk - not what I was expecting. It kinda smells like a commercial perfume geared towards younger girls, or maybe high-end sunscreen (better than the cheap overly-coconuty sunscreens, but still sunscreen..). Although it's kinda annoying, it doesn't bother me so much that I must wash it off, so wait to see if it will get better.

Drying, this smooths out a little, but is still "perfumey". The coconut thankfully dissipates, and after 30 minutes or so I don't notice it anymore. It's not a particularly offensive scent, but nothing that really strikes my fancy.

However, in late drydown (1.5 hours+), what is left on my skin is quite faint, but finally quite delicious! The musk is soft and not so piercing, and I finally get the other notes - very warm, smooth amber and a touch of the deep oakmoss. Sadly, I never got the tobacco flower, but I think it might have burned off with the high-pitched part of the white musk. I really like this phase, but I don't know if I would put this on very much if I have to go through the early/mid phases to get to this faint, yet pretty scent.

I bought this bottle....and I don't know if I love it or hate it. It's soft coconut which is normally not a good note for me...but here it works...the white musk is OVERWHELMINGLY dryer sheet...wet...and then poof...it just goes away. Now the musk, coconut, and amber are deliciously delightfully dancing on my skin. It is really kind of pretty...I just don't know if I can live through the initial wet phase.

:eek:

Wet on skin: The white musk is EXTREMELY prominent at first. About 2 minutes later, the coconut starts coming in.

Dry on skin: I'm almost thinking this is floral, even though there's no notes listed which would lead me to draw such a conclusion. It smells.. very much like a dryer sheet, but slightly soapy.

Verdict: Not for me, sadly. I was hoping for more of an ambery oakmoss, but it seems like all I'm going to get out of this is a musky coconut.

This is what I wanted Tiki Queen to be.

Wet: Musk, floral and coconut are all competing for my attention. The tobacco flower is saying "Me! Me! Pick Me!" but my skin immediately sends it to the corner and amps up the amber, musk and dry coconut. Mmmm.

Dry: Soft and sultry coconut. The top note is scented coconut cake. I don't mean a sweet coconut icing, I mean the real honest to goodness cake baked with coconut cream and extract straight from the oven. The amber and musk are light but add a lot of warmth. They keep this from being foody. I know I'm saying coconut cake but can't emphasis enough that this isn't sweet or foody. The tobacco flower is far in background and it lets me feel like I'm wearing a floral without being FLORAL. It's a dirty floral. Very sexy.

Dry, 2 Hours: The amber and musk are blending really well with the coconut. Lovely.

Dry, 8 Hours: This has staying power and even a decent throw throughout all the stages.

I can't stop wearing this one. This is a perfect spring/summer scent. Love it and waiting for my bottle to arrive because my decant is close to empty already.

ETA: I just looked at the notes again. It must be the oakmoss that's making that dirty floral.

Edited by vanillaoakmoxy

Promised myself I'd start reviewing again, and here I go!

This one does smell a bit like rose, but there's no rose in there so it's a phantom from the combination of

The tobacco threatens to give me a headache, but can't quite manage it.

Morphs quite a bit throughout the day; it's initially quite strong, but quickly fades to a close-to-the-skin scent.

The final stage reminds me a lot of what my mother's costume jewelry smelled like, days after wearing: metal, dust, leftover perfume, and a hint of tobacco.

This one is a surprise to me. Originally the only reason I got it was because I have a friend named Dia (I got her a decant too, of course). But for some reason, I love this. I ordered most of a bottle to go with my decant.

On a more scent-specific note, it's a little hard for me to tell what I'm smelling. It's creamy and musky in a dove-gray kind of way, but warm and slightly sweet. It's definitely sexy, but almost androgynous leaning towards masculine. And that's not specific at all, but I'm having trouble separating any of the notes, as they much such a cohesive blend. I like it lots <3 I think it'll be a wonderful warm weather scent, warm and snuggley, but refreshing.

Edited by SeaLady

I get floral first, maybe it's the sweetness of the coconut. A definite tropical tone to it. Really nice! It fades down into a pleasant tobacco note.

Imp: I really don't know what it is I'm smelling here. Something very light with maybe a tiny bit of coconut.

Wet: Wow, completely different. I can see where all the dryer sheet comments are coming from, though that's not as strong on me as it seems to be for others. I'm not sure on exact notes, but there's something citrus alongside something that's more creamy. It's very pretty and feminine to me.

Dry: On dry-down the tobacco flower really starts coming out. It's not as "pretty" anymore, and it's a touch more dryer sheet.

Verdict: The wet stage is very lovely. If it had stayed at that, I would really like it. Dry isn't bad, but it's a shame it didn't stay at the nice "pretty" stage.

3/5

[EDIT - Wow, my mother just informed me I smell like mold. :blink: So yeah, I'm gonna pass on this one.]

Edited by gnl