Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Tramp

White Rose

White rose buds, with vanilla tea, benzoin, orris, coconut meat, and frankincense.

This starts off all buttery sweet with a very faint dry rose in the background. There is a slight bitterness that I think might be from the frankincense but it fades after about 5 minutes and then all that is left is smooth and creamy vanilla and coconut. This smells so good it is hard not to be all *squee!* about it.

Gorgeous

very sweet ...like vanilla jellybeans and cotton candy, but perfumey, not foodie. a very white, creamy scent. i'd like to let this age and see how the benzoin and frankincense develop. like the red rose this is very well blended and no single note really stands out.

This is a lovely scent. Very creamy and sweet without being cloying. I can smell the rose & coconut mingled in the background, but the major notes after applying on my skin are vanilla tea and benzoin.

Even if you don't normally like the rose blends, I recommend trying just a bit of this if you can. Could be a sister to Snow White. :wub2:

i cant say i'm getting much in the way of anything other than sweet cream and rose with this oil. i, too am curious to see how this will age. it reminds me strongly of Hope, but not quite as sugary. the *real* magic comes in layering this scent with Red Rose- after a few short moments it becomes absolutely heavelny- more than worth it to get this set.

:wub2: :wub2: :wub2:

In the bottle I get vanilla tea. It's the soft, lilting sort of vanilla tea that reminds me of everyone's beloved Dorian. And I can't put my finger on it, but something about this reminds me just a touch of the soft aura of Midway, but not so foody.

Once I put this on my skin, there is a white creamy rose scent, a sweetness, an ever-ever so slight floral hint, and more of the vanilla tea. I do get soft, flirty hints of frankincense and benzoin just below the creamy rose surface. The coconut meat only seems to add a beautiful dimension to the rose and vanilla tea aspect of this blend; I do not in any way get true foody coconut.

This is very beautiful on its own, but it really is best when layered with the Red Rose. If I'm looking at these individually, I think I like this one a tiny bit better, but really there's no contest when I know I can layer the two together!

In terms of the two Unity blends, this one has a light, soft, creamy, gentle, and feminine vibe to it. It sits so well when paired against the dark, deep, spicy, masculine-vibed Red Rose.

White Rose is soft and smells like sugared rose to me. It seems to me to be made in the same category as the sugared violets of the CD fame- soft, whimsical and when paired with the Red Rose is just stunning. :wub2:

I am quoting Alicia here because this is EXACTLY what went through my mind when I put this on. After about 5 minutes of wearing it I though, "hmmm..it's like the same tea in Dorian."

Actually, I think her whole review is very close to what I wanted to write.

I get mainly the tea, a hint of rose, and the coconut meat. But not the sickly sweet "candy" coconut, nor the suntan lotion coconut. To me, it's like fresh coconut when you just crack one open and scoop the pulp from the shell. If you have never tried one, you should.

It's gorgeous on it's own, but really, layered, it's just stunning. Tomorrow I am going to see how layering them on a piece of cloth for my scent locket will work so I can sniff these at work all night. *not allowed to wear perfume to work*

In the bottle I get vanilla tea. It's the soft, lilting sort of vanilla tea that reminds me of everyone's beloved Dorian.

It really is the same vanilla tea in Dorian, but waaaay creamier to my nose. The coconut is just barely there to give a hint of depth, and it's very close to if not the same coconut that is in Tiki King. Beneath the tea and coconut there is the weeist whiff of soft, white rose. It's delicious and light and sweet all at the same time, and not a bit foodie.

Now, I hadn't even considered layering it with Red...

*sprints off to layer*

these arrived in the mail today, so i know i should have let them rest for a day or two... but i couldn't resist trying them. and i should mention that i normally HATE coconut.

initial sniff: smells like Dorian!?

on skin, wet: Dorian and the Wizard brand rose scented spray air freshener i used to love

on skin, after it settles: Dorian, artificial rose scent and fresh Linoleum flooring.

also, i layered a drop of this with a drop of the other one, and (at least today, and on me) they really just do not mix well.

i'll try this again in a few days and add any changes i notice.

1247198137_CABKS-Ti.jpg1247177522_nkdqv-Ti.jpg

I first applied White Rose early this morning, and as soon as it sat on my skin a bit, I liked it a bit. It was far too sweet when sniffed from the bottle and when first on my skin, but settled down to a more bearable level soon. This isn't at all the rose I was expecting; in fact, I get very little rose from this at all, only sugar, vanilla and tea -- not even any benzoin nor frankincense. I was sadly deciding to put my 2 (TWO!!!) bottles up for sale or swap when I remembered: this was called the Unity set! D'oh!

I grabbed my bottle of Red Rose (which I had planned to wear tomorrow) and tried it solo on my other wrist (that review is posted in the appropriate thread) and sniffed deep: this I like much better on its own than the White Rose (I must be Team Lancaster after all). :lol:

But together...layered, these two blends become altogether fascinating, with depth and intricacy I hadn't expected at all. The frankincese and clove do very well together, and there are the slightlest hints of roses way, way down underneath.

These are unlike any rose blend I've ever sniffed, but I like them, I like them...but only layered, as is surely the intention of anything called "The Unity Set."

Edited by stellans

soft, musky, kinda fruity somehow...a fruity coconut...just a hint of vanilla and rose, the tea is light.....it's pretty subtle actually. the rose comes out more as it dries, and the other notes fade. i like this - it's quite pleasant and wearable, but also a little light. feminine and unobtrusive. the orris comes out more as it dries, adding some definition to the softness. not getting much benzoin or frankincense. this would be good for work, and strikes me as a daytime scent, that blends into my skin well. it's rather snuggly and cozy. it somehow reminds me of a much tamer, toned-down version of antique lace.

This starts out a creamy vanilla tea with just a hint of coconut and rose. As it starts to dry down the orris comes out with just a touch of a resinous feel (perhaps from the benzoin & frankincense?). Orris seems to be one of the scents I amp, so I'm not surprised I'm getting so much from this, but luckily it's not drowning out everything else.

I expected much more rose from this, but I am so so happy it turned out the way it did. I would consider getting another set for this one alone. It's just beautiful. Not foody, not too floral, and it's a rose scent that even rose haters can love.

I can't wait to try the red one now!

In the bottle, it smells like vanilla, sugar, and benzoin. Very light...light vanilla, lightly sugary, and VERY light on the rose...I can barely, barely smell it. I think I smell tea, and I can't smell coconut at all. It smells like cotton candy essential oil to me, light, sugary, and more air than anything else.

And then I smell a whiff of rose again...light, pale rose cotton candy. What a morpher! I wonder what it will be in another half hour?

As soon as I opened the bottle and smelled this, it made my mouth water. Wha...?

I can smell the Vanilla Tea and Coconut, but it seems like there is some kind of creamy fruit involved. Almost lemony except not tart -- very sweet. Interesting! The exhale yields a teeny bit of rose fragrance.

I can't wait to layer it with Red Rose!

I should preface this review by stating that roses = ammonia on my skin more often than not.

White Rose was less rosy on me than Red Rose was. Wet, this was predominantly vanilla tea and coconut. As it dries, the frankincense comes out and adds some depth (and behaves, because frankincense and I have been known to have a rather tumultuous relationship). The coconut tempers off in the drydown leaving just a hint of itself, while the vanilla tea mellows into something sweet and creamy. I can't detect the orris here, and the white rose is a faint hint in the background. The result is something sweet and light. I can definitely see how the two roses are two halves of the same whole.

As for combining the two:

Holy Mother of... this is the most amazing thing I have EVER smelled. In combination with White Rose, the Indian musk from Red Rose smells identical to the musk note from Black Lace. I think that's the vanilla tea and musk together actually. The frankincense adds a hint of incense while the tobacco makes it a sweet incense. I think the clove and the coconut are blending wonderfully together here. I can't keep my wrists away from my freaking nose. Separately, these blends are stunning in their own rights, but together, I think I may have died and gone to some wonderfully scented afterlife. Get This! Immediately. Even if roses don't work on your skin!! (Cause they REALLY don't work on mine).

:joy: Pure happiness in a bottle! This is so sweet and good - very, very reminiscent of Ashlultum for me (another fave). Hardly any rose in this one either, although I much prefer this one on its own to Red Rose on its own (darn clove!) Can't wait to layer these! Great throw, good staying power. Fabulous scent.

Edit to say: I just mixed the two and Oh...My....GOD!!! My arm is practically edible from the get-go. This may be my top BPAL blend from now on. It's rich and complex with the frankincense and clove mixing just like stellans said in a fantastic and unexpected way. Love love love.

Love.

Edited by rayvn1

Red Rose on one hand, and White Rose on the other.

White Rose by itself is a lovely sweet, creamy scent. The rose is behaving so far and not amping. There's a bit of similarity to Katrina from the 2008 Sleepy Hollow scents, but, with less rose. No amping rose at all. If rose is iffy for you, you might give these a try.

I think I will be very happy that I gambled on these.

When I put both hands together and sniff both? The combination is spicier and a bit more rosy....with still, no amping. I completely see that they are meant to be together.

These are two halves of one lovely rose scent...that I can actually wear(There are a few. I am learning to not just reflexively avoid rose, now).

Oh is this a WONDERFUL rose!!!!! Creamy and lovely, it rivals my beloved Katrina Van Tassel - I think it's sweeter rose though and like a poster above said, reminds me of rose syrup. I LOVE IT!!! :wub2:

Edited by violetblue

I agree, White Rose to me is very reminiscent of Katrina Van Tassel, but a kick sweeter. I can definately smell the white rose, vanilla and coconut on my wrists, but not the frankinscense. Combined with red rose....Words cannot even describe the magic that happens.

White Rose starts off very sweet and smooth vanilla tea. It has a dry almost dusty quality to it (from the orris?). As it drys the coconut meat begins to come through more. The frankincense stays far in the background and just adds depth and complexity. I do not get any rose from this unless I layer it with Red Rose.

While they are very lovey initially when they are layered, on the dry down rose appears far off in the background. Me and rose are not on speaking terms. So I will not be layering them.

I tested this both separately and layered. Here are reviews for it separately and, since there's no separate thread for the layered reviews, I've added that review here.

In the bottle: Ethereal, a little remote, slightly tart. Reminds me a bit of elements of Parlement of Foules.

Wet: Warmer than expected, with the sweetness of vanilla. But still that ethereal tartness.

Half an hour: I'm not sure this is primarily a rose scent. It's more of the vanilla tea and frankincense, although with a sweet white rose background. I like it, though.

One hour: Definitely vanilla is the strongest, with the white rose second. The base is resiny but with a sort of creaminess that I think might be coconut.

Two and a half hours: Still that smooth, slightly tart white rose scent with a lot of vanilla. Not a lot of fall-off, either.

Six hours: This has matured into a more resin/rose scent now that the vanilla has dissipated some. It is quite gentle and peaceful, though.

LAYERED: Wet: Definitely warm and heady. It's got the sweet tartness of the white and the clovey amber of the red, both at the same time. The frankincense seems more noticeable now, too, as well as the fir which appears to be wafting. This is very complex.

Half an hour: The most amazing scent is wafting around my head! It's resiny, spicy, rosy, musky, and with some softer notes in addition to this endearing tartness. (Tea seems to be a note that works well on me.) I really like this!

One hour: The combined fragrance has the effect of lightening the red rose's impression. I get along well with all the red rose ingredients, and they make a pretty intense statement on my skin. But the lightness, sweetness, and tart note of the white balances that intensity admirably. And the red seems to be pulling more rosiness out of the white, because the white note is stronger now too. If it stays as nice as this, I'll need a full bottle of this set.

Two and a half hours: I can hardly stand how good I smell, sitting here with this gorgeous blended scent puddling all around me. Every time I move even a finger it wafts. This is an Epic Win on me: conceptually, alchemically, chemically, and emotionally.

Six hours: It's gone from gorgeously wafting to sweetly emanating. The quality has changed some; it's less spicy and more resinous. I am really just transfixed by this blend; it even affected my thought processes. There is no question about it: I'm buying more!

In the bottle: Huh, it smells awesome, but there isn't much of the rose scent that I know and love... I can definitely smell lots of vanilla. Sooo good!

On the skin: Yay! Now I am getting a bit more rose with the vanilla. Mmmmm! Perfect and yummy! Oh, and I did not get a whiff of coconut. Yay! Sadly this scent faded after an hour to a very faint vanilla. Sooo good though. I could definitely see carrying an imp of this around to keep reapplying.

With Red Rose: When these two are layered (with a little more white rose as compared to red rose) they are wonderful! Spicy with vanilla. Definitely a new favorite! Going to have to stock up!

-ETA- A few years of aging now and this is not as amazing as I remember. I still smell vanilla and a hint of rose, but now the coconut is in full force turning this scent into a suntan lotion smell. Not my favorite...

Even layered with Red Rose doesn't help... :(

Edited by Catseyes

In bottle/imp: Creamy, slighty tangy, fruity roses.

Immediately on skin: This is SO PRETTY. It’s tangy and slightly fruity almost. There’s the roses, but they really serve as the base of this scent. Blending in is the vanilla tea, violety orris and coconut.

After a little while: This is fruity, creamy, bright rose with a nice smooth feel to it overall. The orris and vanilla tea really combine beautifully with the rose buds.

Overall Impressions: Out of the two roses, this is my favorite. It’s bright but smooth with a nice hint of rose with the creamy vanilla tea and almost fruity orris. I can sense the coconut, but it’s not a main note at all.

Of the two, this was the one that really grabbed my nose first. I love the Lab's white rose, and it's very nice on me, mellow in ways that their red rose isn't. I agree with other posters -- this is something like a much milder Dorian, with tea and sweetness -- but creamier and fruitier, which is AWESOME. I would wear this very happily by itself any day; it delights me! A sweet, creamy scent without the cream note of death! :D

Layered with Red Rose, it changes in tone, becomes sultry and delicious. The Red really brings out the sexy, and the two together are a stunningly paired whole.

...I thiiink I need a full set. The decants are nice, but I think I'll gift them forth and just dive in. :D

This smells like a milker, more buttery version of Snow White. It dries down a bit drier, like shaved coconut.

Combined with Red Rose it really is AMAZING!!! I have never ever bought a second bottle from the lab but I might with these.