Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!

Red rose buds, with amber, clove, tonka, Indian musk, fir, and tobacco.

Very spicy and warm. Like a sexy forest studded with cloves and you all snuggled up to an amber covered wolf. Am not really getting rose at all from it. Just warmth and smooth musk and fir and spices. A totally sexy. delicious blend

it's very well blended so you can't pick out any single notes so much (for those who fear musk, fir and tobacco!), but it is clearly a spiced rose scent...soft rose oils blended with incense. not a wet rose or a fresh rose, but the smell of rose perfume oil. a dark and decadent rose. my daughter walked past me just a bit ago and asked if i had incense burning...she sniffed both my arms and said it was the red rose that she smelled! :wub2:

I don't really get much of a rose scent on my skin, so those of you who scare off rose notes easily, don't automatically dismiss this scent or it's sister, White Rose.

Sniffing from the bottle, I smell mostly spice and fir. A very warm scent.

Wet on my skin, it's spicy clove, musk, and fir. Dry, it's a bit spicy-powder on me, but in a good way. :)

clove, tonka and a bit of the red musk battle it out both in the bottle and on my skin. as with it's sister, White Rose, this Red stays pretty true from bottle to skin through drydown. as i said in it's sister's review, the real magic comes in the transformation that happens when these two oils are combined on the skin. something beautiful and fairly unexpected occurs at that point, and for that, i wouldn't trade either bottle for the world.

:wub: :wub: :wub:

In the bottle I can really pick out the fir and musk, but even so, their edges are soft and smooth. All of the other notes seem to be peeking out just behind those. I get the sense of a deep, dark forest with incense resins and roses.

On my skin, this turns into a sort of dry spice over red rose. The rose is subtle but present, and the clove really takes over for a short while: dry, tingling, spicy. The amber and musk add a warmth and sexuality to this blend and they are, of course, loved by me. For those concerned about fir and tobacco, they really do become accents and aren't really a big part of the blend once it settles out.

This is very beautiful on its own, but it really is best when layered with the White Rose. In terms of the two Unity blends, this one has a dark, deep, dry, strong, spicy, and masculine vibe (note that I said "vibe"; it really is a gender neutral scent). It counters really well against the other one, which is soft, creamy, light, and feminine.

I get very little rose in this. On me it's all clove and amber and a bit of musk. I am completely in love. Clove is one of my favorite notes and I was hoping like crazy I'd amp that and not fir, which usually turns awful on me.

I love both of the roses, but out of the two, this is the one I can see myself wearing on it's own more often.

But like I said in the White Rose thread...gorgeous on their own, but layering them is amazing!

I really need to pick up another set before they are gone.

I'm so bummed, I'm such a rose fiend and this just doesn't work on me AT ALL. The rose turns into a sour musty grandmother rose, where BPAL's rose is usually fresh and almost fruity on me. I couldn't really get to the rest of notes.

I don't get any rose, really...it's like Schwarzer Mond's slightly sweeter, more voluptuous and inviting little sister - the one who puts out :lol:

A lovely sultry incense scent, it truly is the sum of its parts. I was not expecting to like this at all, as I generally don't like rose and I hate tonka, but I can't pick out either. It's just amazingly well-blended and beautiful.

these arrived in the mail today, so i know i should have let them rest for a day or two... but i couldn't resist trying them.

initial sniff: peppery roses*

on skin, wet: sweet clove and rose

on skin, after it settles: tobacco, cloves and rose. reminds me of a Pier 1 fragrance - i think it is called Asian Spice?

also, i layered a drop of this with a drop of the other one, and (at least today, and on me) they really just do not mix well.

i'll try this again in a few days and add any changes i notice.

*when i was little, we had lots of rose bushes. most of them were there when we moved in, so i know nothing about them. there was one in particular, planted far apart from the others, that was sortof a red-fuschia type colour and didn't have as many petals as the rest. still bunches of them, but not as many bunches as the others. it didn't stay in bud or just blossomed for very long, either.. it liked to be full all the way open. and that thing smelled awful. it smelled like black pepper and curry powder. i wouldn't go near it when it was blooming.

1247132521_qEd5u-Ti.jpg1247177522_nkdqv-Ti.jpg

Because I'd planned to wear White Rose first, then Red Rose, I reviewed White first here after thinking a bit, I applied Red Rose next to the other wrist, and fell in love...though not with any rose! This blend has wonderfully deep notes, the kind I like best, but there is practically no rose discernable to my nose, hardly any at all. But I have so many 'real' rose blends, that doesn't really bother me.

The clove is blended wonderfully well with the amber and musk; the tobacco isn't very prominent, which I am grateful for, because it usually turns aftershave on me; I can also discern a faint hint of fir, which I love, and I hope with age this note comes more to the forefront. I think fir + rose might be very nice, especially with the other notes.

HOWEVER: this blend's true genius comes out when it is layered with its companion blend, White Rose; separately, I like Red Rose best. Together, I love them both! I am looking forward to this set as it ages, and from now on will most likely wear it layered.

Edited by stellans

red rose has a lot of clove which i'm happy about, although the clove fades after a bit. also getting a fair amount of an incense-like smell which i'm attributing to the indian musk - for no other reason than that i associate incense with "indian". but it could also be the tobacco. it definitely feels like a rose incense to me, similar to black rose - but not as dark, and with more complexity. it has a very deep red, rich feeling, without being heavy. the fir comes out more as it dries down - i think this is giving me the incense impression too...it feels woodsy and outdoorsy...like a foresty rose...not getting much amber or tonka somehow...anyway, i like this - it's a spicy, clove-y rose, warm and exotic. unusual. i guess the tobacco does make it a touch "masculine" (there's a bit of an "old spice" deoderant smell...) but it's not overbearing.

Gorgeous. :thud: Just. Gorgeous.

I am at a loss here at trying to describe this. It's sexy and spicy and earthy and incensey all rolled into one. I get a bit more rose in this than in White Rose, but it's not screaming rose, and most definitely NOT old lady or powdery. The clove is the stongest at first, but quickly calms down (though still there adding a wonderful warm spice). I was afraid of the fir, but it's just adding a touch of greeness. The tobacco gives it an incense vibe I think, and the amber and musk brings the sex. ;) And I think it's the tonka (along with the rose) that's adding just the right amount of sweetness to balance everything out.

I'm in love. Seriously. And I will be getting at least one more set.

I can't wait to try them together. :wub2:

Clovey rose incense...but much like White Rose, Red Rose is not predominantly rose. It's sweet, warm spices, sweet and red and glowing, with a rose aftersniff. If White Rose is innocent, pure love, Red Rose is passionate love with a little sexy romping thrown in. Very warm and beautiful.

Wow, I am hardly getting any rose at all. Not surprising I suppose, if you read the other reviews!

This is all musky clove and amber on me, with a teeny waft of rose.

Love!

Let me preface this review by stating roses = ammonia on my skin more often than not.

Red Rose on me was a little more rosy than I was expecting. There was a brief period in the wet stage where I was very very afraid. The beginning of wear is mainly rose and fir. It stays fairly rosy for about 1/2 an hour or so. Then the drydown begins and the Indian musk and tonka come out. I didn't get any clove or tobacco until the very late stages of wear, about a couple hours in. The rose never totally disappears here, but the important thing to note is that it DOESN'T go to ammonia, and that other than for the first 1/2 hour of wear, it's not the predominant note here. I would be very curious to see how this ages. Overall, this blend is deep and sexy, with musk and amber and fir all predominating.

As for combining the two:

Holy Mother of... this is the most amazing thing I have EVER smelled. In combination with White Rose, the Indian musk from Red Rose smells identical to the musk note from Black Lace. I think that's the vanilla tea and musk together actually. The frankincense adds a hint of incense while the tobacco makes it a sweet incense. I think the clove and the coconut are blending wonderfully together here. I can't keep my wrists away from my freaking nose. Separately, these blends are stunning in their own rights, but together, I think I may have died and gone to some wonderfully scented afterlife. Get This! Immediately. Even if roses don't work on your skin!! (Cause they REALLY don't work on mine).

There is hardly any rose at all in this while it's wet! Theeeeen comes the clove :( I amp that note like nobody's business and it gives blends a strong smell of pickling spice. I'm hoping the musk, fir, tonka, and tobacco will show up soon since they all = :heart: for me. Glad I have a decant!

Edit to say: I just mixed this with its White Rose partner and Oh...My....GOD!!! My arm is practically edible from the get-go. This may be my top BPAL blend from now on. It's rich and complex with the frankincense and clove mixing just like stellans said in the White Rose reviews in a fantastic and unexpected way. Love love love.

Love.

Edited by rayvn1

So, Red Rose on one hand, and White Rose on the other.

Red Rose by itself is a lovely spicy scent. The rose is behaving so far and not amping. At. All. If you like clove and cinnamon, you might like this one.

I think I may be very happy that I gambled on these.

When I put both hands together and sniff both? Much sweeter, smoother, and a bit more rosy....with still, no amping. I completely see that they are meant to be together.

Red Rose is absolutley to-die for amazing. This is a high contender for my favorite blend that exists thus far. The rose blends so well with the amber and Indian Musk. I am going to have to be careful with preserving this one. Anyone that does well with spices and Rose will be psyched to get this.

Oh I had high hopes for this one - reminded me of my first ever BPAL love, Spellbound when I first sniffed it, but this is like Spellbound with an attitude and steel toed combat boots....spicy and the rose to me, comes out almost as an afterthought. Sadly, didn't work for me, though White Rose is an absolute delight...

Red Rose starts off spicey clove with a touch of pine in the background. As it dries down the pine fades away and the warm tobacco begins to come through more. I do not get any rose from this unless I layer it with White Rose.

While they are very lovey initially when they are layered, on the dry down rose appears far off in the background. Me and rose are not on speaking terms. So I will not be layering them.

I tested this both separately and layered. Here are reviews for it separately and, since there's no separate thread for the layered reviews, I've added that review here.

In the bottle: Warm and sweet with a tickly clovelike sharpness. Of the two roses, this one appeals more to me.

Wet: Spicy amber and rose. The fir gives it a more herbal appeal than the usual rose scents. As a rose lover, that appeals to me because it makes it somewhat different.

Half an hour: Very spicy, musky amber with cloves. Again, the roses don't dominate this mix.

One hour: Amber, musk, clove, rose; what's not to like? This is a wonderful blend all by itself.

Two and a half hours: I just adore this clovey, musky, ambery rose scent.

Six hours: Musk, amber, clove, rose, all still there. I am getting a bit more of the fir again now, I think maybe because the clove and amber have leveled off a bit.

LAYERED: Wet: Definitely warm and heady. It's got the sweet tartness of the white and the clovey amber of the red, both at the same time. The frankincense seems more noticeable now, too, as well as the fir which appears to be wafting. This is very complex.

Half an hour: The most amazing scent is wafting around my head! It's resiny, spicy, rosy, musky, and with some softer notes in addition to this endearing tartness. (Tea seems to be a note that works well on me.) I really like this!

One hour: The combined fragrance has the effect of lightening the red rose's impression. I get along well with all the red rose ingredients, and they make a pretty intense statement on my skin. But the lightness, sweetness, and tart note of the white balances that intensity admirably. And the red seems to be pulling more rosiness out of the white, because the white note is stronger now too. If it stays as nice as this, I'll need a full bottle of this set.

Two and a half hours: I can hardly stand how good I smell, sitting here with this gorgeous blended scent puddling all around me. Every time I move even a finger it wafts. This is an Epic Win on me: conceptually, alchemically, skin-chemically, and emotionally.

Six hours: It's gone from gorgeously wafting to sweetly emanating. The quality has changed some; it's less spicy and more resinous. I am really just transfixed by this blend; it even affected my thought processes. There is no question about it: I'm buying more!

Spilled the bottle, so an unintentional test.

It's spicy and warm, but not overwhelmingly rose. I still get a little of that greenness that I get with roses, but it's very nice.

Layering with the White Rose makes the fir really pop. Masterfully blended. It figures I'd spill the first roses to work for me.

In the bottle: Wow!! Where is the rose?? The spicyness smells excellent! I can definitely smell those cloves.

On the skin: Still no rose.... *sigh* Definitely love the spicyness! Normally scents with tobacco turn smoky on me, but this one remains completely spicy! Also, it lasts FOREVER!! I put it on really early in the morning before heading to work, and after I got home and was getting ready for bed, it was still there! For this scent, a little goes a long way.

With White Rose: When these two are layered (with a little more white rose as compared to red rose) they are wonderful! Spicy with vanilla. Definitely a new favorite! Going to have to stock up! Still, I wish there had been a bit more rose in the mix.

-ETA-

A few years later and I can smell the rose quite a bit now. Rose, clove, and musk.

The rose is a bit strong for me now, but I do like it. Also, the label art is beautiful, so I may end up keeping it because of that!

Layered with White Rose is not so good. White Rose smells a lot like suntan lotion now. :(

Edited by Catseyes

In bottle/imp: Bitter, herbal roses with a spicy undertone.

Immediately on skin: This scent smells odd, but it’s intriguing. It’s slightly bitter and herbal but it has this light spice I like, and an interesting rose note. It’s not really overly sweet or spicy.

After a little while: This has become a deep, resinous gently spiced rose now. It’s pretty, and the herbal bitter feel has faded. It’s musky and smooth and just smells deep and dark.

Overall Impressions: This is my less favorite of the two roses, but it’s still nice. It’s an understated rose with lots of other things going on. The tonka really rounds out the scent nicely while the clove and musk give this a warmer feel. It’s interesting and very pretty.

This scared me a little at first, with its fir and tobacco aspects, but after a few minutes, it really blossomed out into something completely gorgeous. This is one of very few clove scents that I've found really smells like clove on me, and I have discovered that I really like it, particularly blended with the rose and amber. The musk is pretty mellow, which is nice, and it adds a lovely sexiness that appeals a great deal to my more hedonistic side.

As has been said, though on its own it's nice, with the White, it really enters the realm of the sublime. White Rose mellows it out and adds sweetness without being saccharine.

Altogether a gorgeous blend.