Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
waxing moon

Malice

A profound, complex scent that encapsulates the joy one finds in another's pain. Ylang ylang, clove, Indonesian red patchouli, and dark myrrh.

Malice-

In Bottle: Rich and a little nutty-smelling.

Wet: Sweet, rich, a little woody.

Dry: Not bad but not really striking. Woody and sweet all the way through.

Overall: Not as exciting as I'd like.

Edited by steffanina

The patchouli in this is actually pretty nice. I'm usually not a huge fan of patchouli. Alas though, the clove and myrrh are not so kind to me. >_< Amped up beyond belief.

In the bottle: Sharply ylang ylang with patchouli.

Wet: That ylang ylang is strong! I think I detect the myrrh too. No clove though, and that’s disappointing.

Dry: The clove has come out to play and is so dry and spicy, but earthy and sweet at the same time. Everything else is just in background. And although I'm THE biggest clove fan in the universe, I’ll enjoy the imp, but it won’t be a bottle purchase.

It’s a sharp scent on the wand, but less so once it’s on my skin. I can pick up the clove, but I’m not certain what else I’m smelling.

When it has time to settle, I can’t even pick out the clove precisely. It’s not as sharp, now. For a synesthestic description, there’s one strong note through the center, which might be the ylang ylang, and a fuzz of slightly spicy scent to either side. The central note doesn’t announce itself as floral to me, but nothing in this blend does, and it’s higher and thicker than the fuzz around it.

This scent is complex, unusual, and distinctive. It might make a good signature scent for somebody else, since it definitely doesn’t seem perfumey or artificial. With that said, while it’s not actually unpleasant, it’s not particularly appealing on me.

Malice is very dark, brooding, murky scent and I think I like it!

Wet- Hmm, quick patchouli blast that makes me a little uncertain of how it will turn out. Smooth, resiy myrrh backs up the patchouli, and the cloves give just a touch of spice.

Dry- Wow, the patchouli really mellows and blends with the other notes. It has a very earthy, woody feel while still having some spice and sweet. The cloves aren't too overpowering as they tend to be on me, but just give that spicy edge that is a little 'seasonal'. The myrrh is very rich and awesome in this blend! Patchouli is still there, but a nice, smooth patchouli rather than 'dirty hippie' patchouli. I don't really get any ylang-ylang- perhaps the tiniest hint of a sweet floral, but I wouldn't think it was there if I didn't look at the listed notes.

Good throw and long lasting, this scent doesn't morph much on me past a few minutes in.

I bought this imp from <lj user="shadesong">. Thanks, 'song!

In the bottle: Dunno. Every time I get a group of imps, as soon as I touch them, all I can smell is a general perfumey scent.

On me wet and dry: Eh... I expected so much more from this. It smells nice, mind you, but it just doesn't excite me. It basically smells like cream soda to me. I'm either going to give this as a gift or trade it for something else I want from BPAL.

Straight out of the bottle, Malice is sharp and rather medicinal, but within a few minutes it fades into a soft, very feminine scent that, on me, is dominated by the ylang ylang. The patchouli is next strongest, and combined with the myrrh and clove give the initial brightness a dark background. While the concept of "malice" seems to me that it should have a certain coldness to it, this scent is very warm. Absolutely lovely, and perfect for that post-Christmas gloominess. If I go through the imp, I'll have to consider getting a bottle for those times occasions I actually have to smell like a girl, instead of whatever scent I'm into at the moment.

In the vial:

Woody and red

On me:

There is that red patchouli - strong, earthy and woody. There is something about the red patchouli that is always very distinctive to me. I can't quite put my finger on it though. The myrrh turns it very incensey almost right away though so now rather than being sharply woody, it's more sweet and heavy. I cannot smell the clove but I do catch a little ylang ylang, but it's quite slight.

This dries very incensey on me with a slight spice

Final note:

This was way more incense like than I was expecting. In the long run, this is like scents such as Cathedral or Sol Invictus on me.

I'm new, so still learning notes and what my skin likes and doesn't like.

OMG! This is sharp and STRONG in the imp – like dirt with strong smelling aftershave spilled on it. On while wet – still smells like dirt, with a strong alcohol smell. It's softening as it dries, but smells very “perfumey”. I'm not sure what exactly I'm smelling, but 20 minutes in the “dirt” smell is gone, and it's pure perfume. It must be the ylang ylang (or maybe myrrh, but I don't think so), because it's reminding me of something I've smelled before, but I'm not picking out any clove or patchouli. I'm not sure about myrrh, but there's something kind of musky going on here. My mom definitely had something that smelled like this in the 80's, I just can't remember what. I'm not sure about this one, I think this might be a headache-inducer. An hour later still too perfumey for me. An hour and a half later I'm getting something sweetish, I think myrrh. Still not liking it though. I'm starting to like it two hours later, but I think the patchouli is finally coming through and that's what I'm liking. There's myrrh in there too, now. I think this is a no. I only started to like it after it's mostly gone. I'm putting ylang ylang on my "must test further, potential problem notes" list.

I don't understand how a blend that has so much of what I love goes so wrong on me. It's sharp and mean. Which, I suppose, I should have expected given the name. Something in this blend smells like civet on me and it never quieted into the soft resins and incense that other people have got from it. Oh, malice--how you wound me.

code fix --Shollin

Sniffing the imp all I smell is the clove, really strong. I put it on anyway and I am happy I did. I am pretty sure that I say this about half of the scents I review but I am saying it again - it mellows into a very well balanced perfume. I can now smell all of the listed notes and none are over powering. It is beautiful and I want a big bottle of it.

This is just heavenly to me in the bottle... darkly red, sexy but forboding. Strong red patchouli, darkened with myrrh, and a touch of ylang ylang. It's just as wonderful right when applied, but fast as can be the ylang ylang bursts out- STRONG. It stays warm and sexy, for awhile... by the time it's totally dry, it's pure ylang ylang with a touch of myrrh. I never do detect the clove, which makes me sad. Worst of all, ylang ylang does this burnt-out and poof thing on my skin... it overwhelms me, and then completely turns powdery. Such a shame! This is so perfect when wet. Curses on my chemistry.

ylang ylang and patchouli city on me, aka baby wipes. this turns to a musky-powdery scent on me with a slight acidic tinge, therefore i dont think it'll work for me.

In bottle: (opens imp in fear of lurking patchouli headache)

Definitely patchouli but so far no blazing headache or nausea, and I think something sweet there too, rather rootbeerish (must be the ylang ylang). And maybe something in addition to the patchouli giving a faint incense-like spice.

Wet: Less patchouli (yeah! And no headache! Maybe it is only black patchouli which is evil, hmmm.) Still nicely sweet in a non-floral, rather liquid way, myrrh's spiciness is melding into the rest of it.

Dry: Oh! I may have a patchouli I can wear! :P Sweet, bright incense and not at all malicious on me. And I was so worried when I saw this on the list. Must check out other red patchouli scents!

Later: 5 hours and still going. I won’t be surprised if I wake up with it lingering :-) So far the best of the scents I've tried.

Resolved: Merf should not buy scents that list Indonesian red pactchouli as a note.

Evidence: Bloodlust and Malice were not OK. Really, really not OK. Malice, in fact, smelled like burning on my skin...stale burning of something rotting. I had to wash it off immediately and it left a red mark that lasted for a day.

Resolution is accepted. Ya-ay.

Wait? I never reviewed this? Just tried some once again. Imp from some dear and...I'm sorry, not sure which one...generous forumite. I think.

Dark in the imp, and a bit bitter to my nose. But on my tender skin it blooms.

I obviously do not know scent notes at all, because I scribbled my guesses and they were: "starts with a faintly cinnamon flash that grows stronger and deeper and very nice" and then "is there some lemon or lemongrass in this??"

Starts spicey, ends with lemon drifts. And flashes of sweetness (I think "honeysuckle?") (Ylang ylang, I suppose)

I look at the true notes and my mind is once again boggled, but I realize I seem to universally like scents that have myrrh in them.

But..really? there's no lemon???

I was another who scribbled notes and then was surprised when I checked the description. I got strong mint and a heavy floral, and loved it, as I love all the minty blends I've tried. It reminded me a lot of Juke Joint and Black Cat, in fact, and although I was pleased I had an imp, there was just something not quite as great about it.

It's dried down to an elegant minty patchouli, which I love. It's not Juke Joint's grubby little sister any more, it's come into its own.

I might even get a big bottle at some point, or at least another imp when this runs out. I'm really amazed there's no mint listed in this!

In the imp: Ylang ylang and a bit of myrrh.

Wet: More of the myrrh and clove. The ylang is strong here but burns off quickly.

Drydown: Like darlingarmadillo, I get something surprisingly minty from this -- not as strongly, but there around the edges. The patchouli is sophisticated and subtle -- nobody's going to accuse you of trying to cover up the smell of pot! I think it's the myrrh that tempers it -- and, unfortunately, after a brief returning flare of clove, makes it go powdery sooner than I would have wished. Still, this is a great blend that completely failed to make me feel malicious. :P

In the imp: Patchouli

On Skin: Patchouli with a touch of clove

On Drydown: Patchouli, clove and something else... perhaps the myrrh? Slightly resinous

Verdict: Not for me... and just by sniffing it, definitely not for the hubby. On the other hand, this patchouli isn't as overwhelming as black patchouli.

Wow, this reminds me sooo much of another BPAL blend, but at this point, I have sniffed so many, I just cannot put my finger on which one!!

A lovely blend, I love the red patchouli note that Beth uses, its just gorgoeus. This is mainly a patchouli blend on me, with a warm, throbbing, sexy backdrop. You know what?? I think I just figured it out: this oddly reminds me a bit of Debauchery, although I know that is a civet blend. It has that same, deep, dark, insanely sensual thing going on. I think this would be very nice on men or women, and I would definitely wear this out for a night of clubbing.

Malice had good throw, and it seems as if it will last quite awhile on my wrist. Very nice! :P

Oh, this is a strange little bunny. I've tried it three or four times now, and every single time it's been completely different on me. The only thing that doesn't change is how it is in the vial, and that's heavy and almostsoverynearlybutnotquite oppressive. It's dark, it's bitter, it's almost off-putting

On the skin - well I simply can't say WHAT it's like except to say that it does odd little - and NOT so little - morphing tricks with my skin each time I wear it.

What I CAN say is that each time, the almost off-putting element of it vanishes within a moment or two of applying. This, in any of its incarnations, is a scent I would enjoy wearing. For instance, the first time I tried it it was all patchouli, a goodly bit of myrrh, hardly any ylang ylang and no clove whasoever. Now, though, it's myrrh and ylang ylang. And last time I tried it, the clove scent was delightful.

So it's hard to say. All I WILL say is that if you find you don't like it the first time round, give it a day or two - it doesn't need any longer than that - and try it again. You may well be surprised.

The first scent containing ylang ylang that turns out really nice as it morphs quite a lot!

First impression wet on skin was almost pure ylang ylang, then something almost lemony sharp comes through which must be the myrrh.

The myrrh always becomes very very sweet on me after a short time and as the ylang becomes less dominant, sweet cloves peeks around the corner. The patchouli takes a while to come out but after about an hour this is a very rounded sweet blend, warm and a bit spicy with the red patchouli in the background.

After a few more hours it has pretty much faded and only a faint sweet and somehow musky scent remains but maybe I need to put on a bit more.

The red patchouli never became as dominant and almost mouldy smelling as the black patchouli note can go.

So I guess if you are not sure if you like patchouli and you want to try something with patchouli in it this could be a good one to try.

patchouli & myrrh pop out. can't smell the clove as much as i would like. didn't ever smell the ylang ylang.

its a very pretty scent and a possible bottle order if on ly because i'm a fan of patchouli.

imp: considering i don't care for the scent of ylang ylang, i'm amazed i like the smell of this: clove and ylang ylang.

wet: the ylang ylang is the strongest but the clove and patchouli are present as well.

dry: well, the ylang ylang does eventually go horribly, horribly wrong on my skin. but it was nice for a little while.