Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
waxing moon

Malice

A profound, complex scent that encapsulates the joy one finds in another's pain. Ylang ylang, clove, Indonesian red patchouli, and dark myrrh.

Wet it's myrrh and ylang-ylang; the clover helps it from being too sweet.
Dry it's almost the same, very true.

It's interesting and really good, oriental and warm. :P

Interesting. This is very interesting.

Rich chocolate. For some reason, before I uncork the imp, this is my impression. It could have been the smell of another perfume on the label but i think to myself that it is Malice while still in the imp with the cork in place.

I open it and sample.

MINTY to my nose. (edit* yes, I'm aware there isn't any mint but that's what I smell)

I think the mint just jumped out of the bottle and bit my nose but I don't dislike it. In the imp there is a sharp twang to it. It's almost like it smells like certain glues I used in elementary school it's so biting. It grows softer on my skin after a time of pitching mint daggars at me. This is a complicated scent.... not at all easy to describe. Now some kind of lemon is appearing slowly. A sour, scowling, powder-covered lemon. The sharpness is gone. The twang has ended. The perfume has thrown a fit on my skin and all has subsided now but a gentle throb of sour. This isn't a 'happy' scent but it has it's place.

I could see myself wearing this on a bad day and feeling very apropriate doing so.

Final thoughts: Interesting. Not buying a 5ml but I will wear what's in this imp.

Edited by amberlox

i like all the things that are in this--ylang ylang aside--but on me it all went wierd.

Someone said they couldn't smell anything at all until they smelled soap, and oddly, that is what happened to me too.

Soap. that's all. Sad. :P

When I first put this on, I get a smell like damp earth and the bags of lawn fertilizer that my dad used when I was little. Weird.

Then what I assume is ylang ylang comes out. I can smell the patchouli, but there's an overlying sharp floral note to this that I don't like.

This is like a sharp, cold version of Masquerade. I like warm scents, so this goes off to swaps.

In the bottle: Clove, patchouli and myrrh. A knock you off your feet and into next week scent for me. Srong. Very strong.

Wet: Patchouli, myrrh and instant headache. Wow. That was fast. And here comes the clove. No sign of the ylang ylang, though.

Dry down: Clove and patchouli. Patchouli and clove. With some ylang ylang. And a headache. This is so not my kind of scent. But it is a little better now than it was in the bottle, which is something.

Dry: I can't leave this on too much longer. I'd say that the clove and the patchouli are the stronger scents. The ylang ylang provides a nice backing contrast.

Rating (on skin): 2/5

Summarised in a word or two: Heavy.

In the imp/bottle: Pure ylang ylang.

On skin, wet: Spicy clove and sweet ylang ylang. I'm not wild about ylang ylang, but it keeps the clove from being overly spicy, so in Malice, I like it.

On skin, dry: Dry, this reminds me a bit of Delphi, but darker and spicier. It's very heavy, perhaps too heavy for me. I don't like drowning in scent.

Conclusion: This has a huge throw, and it's almost heady. Even a bit overwhelms me. I may eventually tinker with a bit of this diluted in jojoba, but it's not on my to-do list right now.

Edited by Aredhel

Malice - From my friend's order, which I am stealing to try.

In the bottle: Patchouli and myrrh, mostly.

On me: Gah! I smell like incense! I smell of a combo of myrrh, patchouli, and ylang ylang. There's no clove in sight. Unfortunately, the notes combine on my skin and I get a powdery, soapy scent with a bit of incense. :P

Well, glad it's in my friend's order.

I've been wanting to try Malice forever, but always was a little wary of it because my skin has amped up clove in so many different scents. Turns out my concern was justified - clove is so unbelievably strong on my skin that within a few minutes, I went from smelling like spicy myrrh :D to smelling of CLOVECLOVECLOVE :P. Patchouli and ylang ylang never had a chance to appear, unfortunately.

malice.jpg

Received as a gift from another swapper, I just tried Malice and thought it is a good blend. However, it is one of those complex scents which ends up having its ingredients cancel each other out for me and leaves me with a "this is pleasant but that is all" impression.

If other people can find bliss and wonder in Malice, great. I hope they do. I will be putting this one in the swap pile and hope it finds a delighted home.

The icon is a painting I did called "Mr. Bowen Decides". It is the portrait of a convicted murderer and was done from an FBI wanted poster. He was supposed to have killed his wife and tied up her corpse with special knots which he was famous for tying well. The unusual knot was what convicted him.

Edited by olympia301

Imp Sniff: There be a plastic note here.

Swipe: Yep, plastic note is soooo taking over. It reminds me of Tintagel in that the note is like barbies and/or plastic..and it takes over everything else.

Drydown: Stupid plastic note. I wish I knew what it was. At first I thought it was dragon's blood, but that works fine on me, maybe it's the clove? Although I've got some whole cloves in the kitchen that don't smell a damn bit like plastic...so maybe it's a mystery note to be solved later.

Overall: Noperino, not for me.

Malice isn't awful on me, but it's not something that I'd really want to wear either. I have problems with ylang ylang going really metallic and sharp on my skin, and it's lingering menacingly in the background here. The red patchouli is a warm, dry, wooden sort of smelling patchouli (though it starts off kinda funky smelling, the drydown is nice).

This is a dry, warm, woodsy, and slightly spicy blend on me. I can't pick out any one note in the drydown. It's a little bit boring to me though. None of its qualities stand out as being particularly special.

Edited by Blood onmy hands

In bottle: Red patchouli - so much of it - and the inky-blackness of myrrh. There is a slight sweetness that the ylang ylang brings, but it is a heavy spice and incense scent. It gives off a rather threatening vibe.

On me: To me, this is an angry scent. The clove and patchouli, which have becom the dominant notes on my skin, reminds me of the wicked witch in Hansel and Gretel; I can just imagine her cackling and stomping her feet in delight while wearing this scent.

In the bottle: Almost medicinal, but I can tell it's the red patchouli. I think I can also detect a bit of myrrh.

First on: OMG i'm in love. Clove, myrrh & a hint of red patchouli. It's very dark & heady, which makes me think of a mysterious woman in a long tight black dress. You can see her in the shadows in an alleyway, not knowing if she's friend or foe. Mmmmm......

Drydown: This is like when I layer Darkness and Three Witches. MUST HAVE!! It hasn't changed from above, but I love it even more. I jsut want to sniff myself a lot.

Wet, Malice is disturbingly (to me) dark and resinous. I'm usually a sweet/fruit/rose/light person, but it's here, and it's on my skin, so I went for it.

Once it's on though - mmm! I did a mini-review on the forum I was on at the time:

Malice today, because I realised I had no BPAL on and it was the only one I fancied trying from the line of imps waiting to be tested behind my keyboard.

It's... nice - kind of darkly orange. Gothic, resiny oranges, if you will :P Like Rakshasa has swapped out its sarong and sandals for a black and orange tie-dye velvet dress with a startlingly shapely bodice, and some serious eyeliner.

And I stand by that... The orange is lovely, a smoky citrus, but softened by the dark notes. This isn't something I would usually wear, on sniffing from the imp, but I'm glad I tried it! It really is a darker version of Rakshasa to my mind and I like it a lot. It's still summery, but inside, there's storms. Not sure it's a bottle, but the imp is staying right here with me for my dark, hippy days.

Edited by Lady Ravenglass

At first, this smells like a really red scent and is dominated by ylang ylang. Then it smells red and soapy. I think the soapy part is the patchouli, as patchouli tends to get a bit clean on my skin. After two hours, Malice is all about the dark myrrh and clove, with a bit of ylang ylang to keep it red.

first, i have to say, i got this from the swap boards and it has the old type of label on the imp, so its got some history, and has notes in it that age well, so im sure its got some differences from a brand new imp.

its getting to be the perfect time of year for a dark clovey, patchouli scent like this. i dont think i would love this if id tried it in spring. ive tried it a couple of times and with just the teensiest dot on my hand, i can smell it several hours after applying it, though because ive applied it like this, it is never overwhelming.

i like this very much. i like the dark spices, its all dark spice on me. i can see myself wearing it while tramping thru the woods, laying on the forest floor and looking up at the trees and sky. i can see myself wearing it on my neck on a cold cold day and snuggling my face into my coat to smell it, warming me with its sensual, intoxicating abilities.

its a tad similar to the effect i get from the coiled serpent, scent wise. a keeper for me, for sure. i may come back and post a review based on how the scent changes for me, time allowing.

Edited by ketalady

I thought I would really love this one, all of these notes are usually something I really like.

Malice went on very powdery. My first impression, before applying it was "Myrrh!". After applying it I expected to smell the pathouli and clove. Unfortunatly it just turned to pure powder on my skin. :/

It does have good lasting power however. It's a really beautiful perfume, just smells bad on me. My bottle will have to find a better home.

In the bottle - sweet patchouli

Wet on me - clove and a sweetness that reminds me of the honey single note, which I don't think it is.

Dry on me - sweet, spicy and very smooth. I'm impressed that the ylang-ylang doesn't go heywire on me the way it's prone to do. On the whole I like this, but it's not a favourite.

lots of ylang ylang. It took over and didn't do nice things with the other notes and gave me a headache. I'm starting to think I can't wear ylang ylang at all :P

This one smells delicious in the imp. When it dries on my skin it turns into nothing special though. It is still nice, but there are others that I like more. It is sweet and a little bit spicy. It isn't really foody, but it makes me want to eat my arm. I really like the lab's patchouli. It blends so well with the other notes that I hardly notice it. With other patchoulis the note stands out so much that it overshadows the other notes. Not with these! Anyway, if it didn't change so much on my skin I'd be keeping it.

Ylang yalng and patchouli :P

This scent reminds me of an essential oil my mom used to wear when I was a kid. It's very comforting and at the same time very unique.

I love the patchouli in Malice, it's sweet and light. Doesn't bully the other notes.

In bottle: I think I'm starting to like red patchouli--it's still got the earthy thing going on, but without the smokiness of black patchouli. The ylang ylang is sweet and goes with it perfectly.

Wet: no ylang ylang, sadly. the red patchouli is the dominant note, very earthy and spicy but not overwhelming

Dry: the notes all merge together and smell like sweet, pungent dirt, but different from penny dreadful. It's a very nice blend.

In the Bottle: Oh I'm not sure I'm going to like this. It was part of a lot I purchased on ebay because I wanted to try 11 out out of the 21 items presented. Patchouli and myrrh....that scares me. I'm starting to think that anything dark red is my enemy. Oh god it smells so dark and brooding and dangerous in the bottle! I just know it'll go all sawdust on me, it's my curse. I can smell the ylang ylang first, then the divine red patchouli and then it's spiced by the clove. I can't smell any of the myrrh at all. Which is good...very good. I'm disgusted with my chemistry right now....because I just know it'll turn foul on me.

Wet: OMG this is divine. I'm going to weep. I know I am. The ylang ylang it oddly tamed by my skin in this mix. The red patchouli and myrrh aren't being evil, they are co-habitating rather sweetly. The clove isn't being dangerous either. I have no clue what's going on right now on my left wrist but I'm perfeclty ok with it and I might even send it a Hostess gift.

Drydown: I don't really know where this scent went. It's warm and inviting. Not at all what I would call "angry" the red patchouli actually calmed down very very nicely into something I didn't even think I could smell like anymore. I'm impressed. This is going in the maybe box still, but I deffinately like it.

Floral. I wanted it to be a 'darker' scent, with more patchouli, but nope. Ylang ylang and flowers. Thats all I got.

Its going to my sweetie.