Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
roisnoir

Anne Bonny

Named in honor of the most notorious female pirate to ever set sail. Wicked, cruel, beautiful, intelligent, resourceful and dangerous: a true role model. A blend of Indonesian red patchouli, red sandalwood, and frankincense. A million thanks to Juliana Williamson-Page for inspiration!

Is this what aquatic means? Full, slightly salty, and interesting. Now the spices are coming up. It’s getting dry and dusty. Keep! Edited by Shollin

Short review: sweet earthy resins, but fresh (definately salt-water-breeze like)

In depth: I think I might be amping the frankincense, because the patch and sandalwood are more like a gritty background to the sweet incense scent. The pirate inspiration is evident, and though the scent is very earthy, and sweet, it has the freshness one would expect of a pirate scent :P It's bold and feminine and I really love this, so I might have to get more someday! At the moment, I seem to have alot of resin perfume, so I'm not desperate.

I first read of Anne Bonny's exploits - albeit a slightly sanitised version - when I was about 7 years old. I've loved her ever since, so this one was definitely always going to be on my first ever order even if it hadn't been recommended to me. :P

In the vial: Yes, yes and yes. All three main notes can be detected, definitely distinct but they're still beautifully blended together and there's no sense of a struggle for dominance by any of them.

On the skin: Wet - These truly do mix together fantastically. All three can definitely be picked out, but I need to concentrate to detect each one separate from the others. It's a swirl where you can just pick out little bits of individual scents amidst the general glorious grouping.

Dry - Ah, now. The patchouli is starting to come slightly the fore as patchouli often seems to like to do on me, but the frankincense is definitely present not far behind. The sandalwood seems to be holding them together, restraining the patchouli slightly while shoring up the frankincense, which I don't normally get this early on. Gorgeous.

After 1 hour: Still a good blend of all three ingredients although softened now. The throw still reaches me without having to lift my arm all the way to my nose. This is a lovely scent. Definite creaky timbers here, but with a sweetness running through it which is definitely softening.

After 3 hours: Quite faded. It's now time to refresh it. Mainly patchouli now, with just the hint of the sweetness of frankincense like an echo. I don't think the sandalwood has survived this far, but it's difficult to say since it's just slightly too faint to tell for sure.

Scores!

Scent: Wet - 3/5, Dry - 3/5

Durability: 3.5/5

Bottle? Oh yes. I can see me reaching for this one more regularly than not. It's a wonderful daytime scent that still wouldn't be completely out of place of an evening, given the setting.

In the imp: Mmm. Light woods and spicy musk. I think I can detect a light sandalwood somewhere, but the strongest smell is... myrrh? Frankincense? Definitely something with that resiny-bitter aspect to it.

On the wrist: Whoa, where did that little hint of sweetness come from all of a sudden? I think it's the patchouli (at least, there's something that reminds me of Tiresias, and that's the only ingredient in common) sweetening on my wrist. That's the first distinct scent, merging seamlessly into the frankincense, together almost drowning out the sandalwood. This is the smell of sun-dried wood, with a dark and exotic edge. Ooh! Sniffing it for too long makes my nose cold! It must be the frankincense that does that in Ahathoor! ...minor mystery solved there :P

One hour later: The frankincense has become less intense, letting the sandalwood reappear and the patchouli come forward a bit. The scent is just a little less woody, and just a little more spicy/musky. Very pleasant.

I have to buy a bottle of this!

In the bottle and on me: I thought it smelled very earthy and slightly aquatic. After it dried down, I still had the same effect. I could still smell it, even if I had dabs of other imps all on my arms. I love it, totally a keeper.

I loooove Anne Bonny! To me, she smells almost exactly like Spiritual Sky's Frangipani oil (used to wear it when I was like, 12, lol)... Deep, pink/red scent, really grabs you by the nose and says "Look... look closer... I might be dangerous!" :D

Ahhhhhhhhhh! Yummy, yummy stuff... :P

In the imp:

Very woody and spicy.

Wet:

I am mainly smelling an intense wood note, which is not usually a good sign for me. This is sort of odd, since I know that both sandalwood and patchouli work on me and don't create this scent.

Dry:

Bleh, this one is clearly not for me. Nothing but sharp, sharp wood. Off to the swap pile!

What I get from Anne Bonny is mostly sandalwood with a little patchouli. I like it but it's not me so I don't need a bottle.

imp: frankincense and patchouli, very nicely blended.

wet: patchouli, sandalwood and frankincense.

dry: the patchouli came out on top with the frankincense second and the sandalwood a distant third.

I thought this was lovely the first time I tried it, with so many of my favorite notes, it's not a surprise. But then I went back to it after letting it sit for more than a few months, and it's even better. This is definitely a BPAL scent that ages gorgeously. It's so resiny but sweet, dark but bright, and strong but soft.

I thought when I first got it that an imp would be enough, but I think I need a bottle now. :P

I'm still on the fence about this one. It's a kick *ss scent that at times veers a little too close to the pencil shavings school of scent. It's got a place in my imp box for now!

In the bottle: Dry, swirling incense. Something slightly tickly, almost peppery. An evocative, quietly dramatic scent.

Wet: Warm, spicy and incensey. Still that tickly smell, which I can't quite define. I can't wear this perfume when I have even a hint of a headache, because the frankincense becomes overwhelming and makes it worse somehow.

Dry: Goes almost creamy, and the notes blend together to the point that I can't make them out separately.

A little later: Takes on warmth and mellowness. Reminds me of celebrating Beltane in Glastonbury, with incense burning and the sun shining.

This scent makes me feel: Mellow and free. :P

It smelled really good in the imp and I had high hopes...alas...she turns on me.

Too much smoky/leathery smell. The oceany note in this blend doesn't work right with my chemistry either.

Goes funky on the hubby too---a kind of piny-air-freshener.

Edited by Dinerdulcinea

In the vial: very woodsy, on the verge of the dreaded pencil shavings smell.

Wet: sandalwood and patchouli

Wet: the notes fuse together nicely to create a really gorgeous scent. Why did I wait so long to try this? I need a bottle, stat!

To quote n3m3sis42:

Wet: I am mainly smelling an intense wood note, which is not usually a good sign for me. This is sort of odd, since I know that both sandalwood and patchouli work on me and don't create this scent.

This is exactly what happened to me. Just a really funky, unpleasant wood scent. It stayed that way until I attempted to scrub it off. My skin chemistry disappoints me sometimes.

I was very wary testing this scent - patchouli has emerged as the #1 scent-ruiner for me and my skin. And sure enough, in the imp, on my skin, and dry, it was all patchouli, all the time. And patchouli is not my friend. :P

For Pete's sake. I am batting a big fat zero today. I washed off one fragrance this morning because it was noxious and put on Anne Bonny. She reminds me of fingernail polish in a plastic bottle. This one got washed off too.

I am going to hold onto the imp and try it again in a few months. Maybe it's me. I feel rather plastic/fingernail polish-y today. Ugh.

In the imp this smells like dirt to me, which I'm guessing is the patchouli. Don't get me wrong, I like patchouli, but it has to be mixed into something else. I get the feeling this will be too patchouli-riffic for me, but I won't know till it is on my skin.

Ok, it's much better on the skin. I think I get a bit more of the sandalwood and the frankincense (I do love frankincense).

Oh, this gets better the longer it's on. The patchouli really calms down and the other notes come out. Almost like fresh polished wood with a bit of spice? A little tough and a little exotic. A perfect tomboy scent.

I keep catching little whiffs of it and wondering what smells so nice, and then I realize it's the Anne Bonny! Interesting. I'm still not sure I would purchase this as I'm not sure it's a "me" scent, but I rather like it.

On full drydown it loses that bit of spice and basically smells like wood. Pleasant, but not what I'd like to smell like.

I received Anne Bonny in a swap yesterday and tried her on straight away. She smelled "gritty" (but not unpleasantly so) and I caught a whiff of patchouli lurking in the background. I like patchouli as a grounding/blending note but not on its own, so I hoped that it would back off - and it did. Overall I found the blend to be nice but not particularly remarkable, and there was a weird note that reminded me of petroleum jelly.

I figured it was probably off to the swaps with Anne Bonny, but I decided to give her a second try later in the evening. I was snuggling up to my partner when he asked if I was wearing new perfume. I said yes, but that I didn't think it was that great, and I offered him my hand to sniff. He immediately glued his nose to my hand, clutching it tightly and inhaling deeply, with a half-crazed look on his face.

Me: "Uh, I guess you like it?"

Him: "YES. THIS IS VERY GOOD."

Me: "Hmmn. I didn't think it smelled that great on me."

Him: "YOU'RE WRONG. IT'S DELICIOUS. IT'S LIKE... HONEY... AND SALT... AND WOOD."

...and so on in that vein. Mind you, through our entire exchange he never once let go of my hand or stopped sniffing. And then there were attempts at ravishing and the admonishment to not wear Anne Bonny to bed if I actually wanted to sleep. :P

So yeah, she's a keeper. :D

Imp: Whoo, spice spice spice! That's STRONG patchouli and sandalwood.

Wet: Lots of patchouli and a drop of sandalwood.

Drydown: Spice-rubbed wood.

This doesn't smell anything like I expected it to smell, but it's still awesome. Very distinctive and swashbuckling. A fearless scent. I'll wear this on days I need some extra oomph.

Damn that thrice damned frankincense! Sandalwood has a tendency to go powdery and frankincense never turns into a rich resinous scent on me but into somthing thin, powdery-dusty and stale. Happens all the time. And I dont amp patchouli. I love patchouli but the red variant never really comes out on me.

So I love this blend initially after application, but then it goes down the drain somewhat. Buhu. When I finally get my locket from the TP I will have to try Anne Bonny again and see if it stays more true to the wet stage. I want me patchouli.

In the imp: sandalwood and a surprisingly pleasant, almost foody whiff of patchouli.

On me, wet: strong sandalwood with very, very faint touches of frankincense and patchouli.

On me, dry: all sandalwood all the time. It's a nice, rich sandalwood though, so maybe what i'm smelling is really an incredibly well done blend of the three things.

Throw and duration: both about average.

Overall: This smells like a lovely single note sandalwood on me, which is not a bad thing; however, i'm a little surprised that it has nothing else to offer me. I'll keep the imp, but i don't see myself needing a bottle of this in the near future.

Anne Bonny is all frankincense and patchouli on my skin. I can't detect the sandalwood, though I guess it might be balancing things in the background. It's strong and sweet, deep and resiny. It makes me feel confident when I wear it, as if there's some pirate blood in my veins.

absolutely love this scent, the patchouli amount is spot on, the sandalwood is heavenly and the frankincense - yumm!

i couldn't stop smelling my wrist.

Before reading the scent description, I thought this smelled (dry on my skin) more like salt and woods than anything. It might be the frankincense and sandalwood. And while this is nothing I'd ever have picked out for myself, it's actually really nice in an unexpected way, and unlike anything else in my little collection of bpal.