Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
roisnoir

Anne Bonny

Named in honor of the most notorious female pirate to ever set sail. Wicked, cruel, beautiful, intelligent, resourceful and dangerous: a true role model. A blend of Indonesian red patchouli, red sandalwood, and frankincense.

This came to me in my first ever order of imps from the lab. It was one of the first scents I tried, and is my absolute favorite. On my skin it smells of patchouli and salty wood mixed with frankincense; I think it's the salty wood that makes this scent so unique and delicious. It lasts forever, and I always get compliments on how great I smell when I wear it, even from people who generally don't like "hippy" smelling perfumes (i.e. perfumes wth lots of patchouli). I am getting close to finishing my 5ml of it, and I think it will be my first 10ml purchase. yum yum yum :P

Ohgod. Bitter, bitter, bitter. That's all I get. Very bitter incense. Although the oil's by no means sugar-sweet in the imp, I assume this is a chemistry issue and not the oil's fault. :P It's the only one of my imps that smelled bad. Well. I'll know about heavy incenses next time. It seems they're no-nos for me.

In the imp, I smell a sweet patchouli with frankincense and sandalwood cutting through it. The patchouli is strongest, but the other notes balance it well and it does smell great - but, since I'm not a resin fan, not for me. It's very unisex, I'd like to smell it on a man, but there's no trace of obvious men's cologne (bleechh) so a woman could wear it just as well. It seems like an evening scent to me, but if you put it on with a light touch you could break the rule. All-in-all, very delicious and if only it were "me" in the slightest (I'm a fruity-floral girly-girl, alas..), I'd likely order a bottle.

Err, then I put it on. The notes continued to balance each other well, but over a few minutes lost every bit of sweetness they'd had in the imp. Angry hippy patchouli, sharp pointy sandalwood, and bitter frankincense. Anne Bonny's on the warpath. And she has throw. I put the oil on at 7 am and kept getting wafts all day. Ugh, my skin chemistry. Not a huge loss though, because as I said this one's not one that I'd reach for often anyway.

Aye, me lass, it's mighty pleased ta meet you, I am. Yer reputation precedes yee, aye, tis true. Ah but yer a swarthy lass ain't 'ee? Strong, oh, I see yer no lady! But yer a simple lass too ain't 'ee? Good solid stock 'ere, nothing fancy, not one to be puttin' on airs, no.

All take notice when you come on board. Yeer not for the faint o' heart, and those who 'ave met ye face tae face aren't likely tae ferget ye.

Argh, but what madness is this? Yer carryin' a church candle? Nae, me dream is troubled, the waves are tossin me about, the sandalwood is turnin this vessel towards the rocks. I canna handle the sandalwood candle, I'm a goin to seek my fortune on a spice island. 'ave ye a cousin or a bastard sister anywhere in this world?

this was a nice frimp from the lab - i've always been curious about ole anne bonny..

anyhow, out of the vial it is dark and lusty - at first i think it's vetiver, but after reading the other reviews, i see it's probably the patchouli. i think it reminds me of saturnalia, although i haven't smelled that one in a while. anyhow, it's dark and dirty, but there are hints of sweeter things in the background.

on my skin it sweetens and lightens almost immediately, and i smell a lot more sandalwood, and perhaps coconut, but hiding, really hiding back there. anyway - i like it ok, but it's more incense-y/woodsy than what i usually go for. it is much nicer on my skin than i originally thought from sniffing the imp though, and it does capture the anne bonny character very well.

Anne Bonny is more than a bit boring on my skin. In fact, it is so boring, that I can't even remember what it smells like. I think there was some patchouli in it, but I can't recall anything else.

Oh well.

Yarrrr! Avast! Well blow me down!

(Okay, I had to get the pirate-speak out of my system first. Sorry. :P )

I could have sworn there's red musk in this, but I just re-checked the description and there's none. Which is odd, because in the imp this reminds me of Scherezade minus the saffron, and the drydown has a musky quality to it. Once applied, though, Anne Bonny goes all dark woods, settling down to almost pure sandalwood. Then the resin starts coming out. I dabbed some on this morning around 8:00; at noon a co-worker sniffed the air and said "Hey, something smells like incense in here!" Six or seven hours later, I was still getting little gusts of warm sandalwood. This is very long-lasting, with good but not overwhelming throw.

It does have a rather swashbuckling quality to it. The frankincense gives it an "I mean business!" edge and the sandalwood makes it exotic and warm. It's a little more femme-y than Fenris Wolf, which it also reminds me of, but not much -- a good scent for women looking to get in touch with their dashing and dangerous side.

I like it a lot so far. This may end up as another candidate for the 5ml list.

In the bottle all frankincense

Wet: Sharp and biting

Drydown: Patchouli, Patchouli, Patchouli. :P I love all the hippy scents but this brought about more of an island feel for me. So I guess I did get the pirate feel from this scent.

I received compliments all day even from strangers. I guess this works well with my body chemistry even in the muggy weather we are having.

A Keeper for me.

I can't even begin to describe this scent, mostly because I really don't know how sandalwood, patchouli, or frankincense are supposed to smell like (ya, noob, I know). It was the first one to catch my eye on BPAL, but when I got it, I thought it was a little to dry for me. But then I wore it more...and more...then one day a fellow at work walked by while I was wearing it and said he was just "mezmerized" by my scent! Wow...

First one I purchsed a 5ml of too. (baby steps)

In the imp, it smells like dirt mixed with incense.

On me... this is very uneloquent but honestly? It smells like dirt. Perhaps living in the desert for 16 years has made me bitter but I really don't want to smell like dirt.

Slowly it morphs more into the incense and sandalwood smells but I still can't escape the dirt smell. It's not that I mind patchouli, I just don't think I like patchouli when it's mixed with other dark scents. :/

In the Imp: Patchouli baby!

Wet: A nice mix of patchouli and sandlewood. Pretty straightforward and simple.

Dry: This is most definately now a blend for those that don't like the patchouli, and while I do like it I don't usually go for just straight up patchouli. Which is why this is so fabulous. The sandlewood adds teh right amount of woodsiness and the frankenscense adds depth and warmth and longevity.

Throw: Excellant throw, just like every "dirty, patchouli-stinking hippie" you've ever known. :P

Overall: I love it. I'll be a dirty pirate hippie any time.

Rating: ++

I like this a lot. It's a nice uncomplicated resin scent, and, as mentioned above, it makes a wonderful everyday oil. There's something comforting yet refreshing and pure about it. I think I like Cathedral ever-so-slightly better, but this is a very nice-smelling sandalwood, frankincense and patchouli blend (although I get much more of the frankincense on my skin).

Bottle: mmm, sandalwood and lovely red patchouli

Wet: the frankincense is evident on my skin - it's rosy and warm and already luscious

Dry: this is gorgeous (and a little sassy)! I love all of these notes, and I can't believe it's taken me so long to try it!!

Later: I am so in love!

In the bottle: (Although I'm trying to be as detailed and evocative as possible, this review is a bit short and sterile. I wore the scent yesterday, and when I am at work, I don't have time to read BPAL forums, or scribble more than the briefest of notes to myself. Yesterday I didn't even get to do that. So I am operating from memory.)

Pleasant, but rich and heavy. I consider it spicy in an almost masculine way (which is probably why I thought "Old Spice" in my last review.) It smells kind of woody, foresty. I'm not sure if that's the sandalwood (which, in my incense, usually doesn't give me a forest feeling; it's lighter when I burn it, bare and desert-essence Middle Eastern) or my nose's interpretation of the combination of scents. The spiciness isn't a foody smell; I'm not certain how to describe it. My nose feels full. *'.'*

Wet: This becomes darker and richer with my chemistry. It's almost overpowering. I can't say it's unpleasant, but I do feel rather overwhelmed. I'm not certain what eiather patchouli or frankincense smells like on its own, and I'm very interested in trying them in other combinations, because nothing about this imp screams "horror! uncomfortable!" to me, though I do feel that it is wrong for me and my image of myself. It's not what I prefer to smell; I'm just not thriled with everything all together, in combination with my skin.

Drying: This throws really well (perhaps too well.) The previous times I have worn it, it has always been noticed. It's been complimented upon, so I continue to try it out, hoping that I will like it. But I don't feel as though I smell like myself, and that's a very disorienting feeling. I don't care for it. (The feeling, that is.) The scent remains quite noticeable / strong for hours. While I appreciate not smelling like a hothouse, I don't pick up the "incensy" sensation that others in the forum have described, which I think would make me feel less aggressive. I am afraid that this scent is just a bit too "butch" for me.

Afternotes: I'm not picking up any Greyhaven characters, so I don't think I'm going to hang on to this for writing purposes, either. If I could not trade it with someone else, I wouldn't mind using it as a room scent. But, as Scott would say about some other items I have tried, it is "heavy," and that looming quality just isn't conveying anything I particularly care to share with my nose or with others. I am glad to have tried the scent, though it was not on my list of first-picks. It has broadened my spectrum and interested me in trying the notes in other combinations.

Scott-sniff: N/A

Verdict: SWAP!

A generous frimp from the lab...

In the bottle: Some patchouli but it actually smells fairly light.

Wet: Some patchouli but more sandalwood. Actually just smells like wood. More like a pirate ship that's been sitting in the sun for several days and is longing to feel the salt waves crash over it again (because there's clealry nothing aquatic in this, just dry wood).

Dry: I'm honestly getting a slight cedar note which makes no sense. Still smells like wood, the sandalwood is the most dominant note, but the patchouli is still there. A sprinkle of frankinsence but not much.

Different from what I was expecting...nice but not me. I feel like this would work well for someone who liked the outdoors a lot.

I only got to try Anne Bonny briefly before my mother made off with my imp, so I'm going from memory here.

In the bottle it's a rich dark scent that hints and teases - I'm not able to pick apart the notes in the bottle.

When I first put it on it smells like blood. :P That I wasn't expecting! Then some subtle woodsy spices start to peek through the blood. Then I get a salty breeze backed by the creaking of the planks.

This is not for the faint of heart! It smells for all the world like stolen blood soaked crates of spices smuggled aboard a wet ship with an edge of steel.

This is the perfect oil for days when I'm feeling powerful or predatory. I may have to buy more for myself as my last imp seems to have walked off. :D

Finally getting to try Annie B - a gift from a generous forum swap.

At first I wood have guessed patchouli and vetiver. No wonder the vetiver is behaving so well - because it isn't really there and merely performing some sort of astral projection. Unless it is a stowaway?

Other than that, I agree with many previous that the wood smells a bit like a cedar plank as opposed to a sandalwood treasure chest. I'm not really attuned to frankincense but maybe it is simply contributing to the harmonious whole.

Very greatful to have received this I can see why it's such a favorite with so many.

Edited by themerrybaker

Imp: Dirty and gritty, dark and mean. I can't pick which note is which but I think it's the frankincense that's gritty. I don't know what I'm getting myself into with this blend.

Wet: The dirty feel disappears, leaving a sweet and somewhat powdery scent behind. I can honestly say it smells somewhat red. I can pick the red sandalwood out of it and I'm amazed at the dryness of it because it stays so calm and kinda sexy, it adds to the sweet powder nicely. The patchouli is like an afterthought of darkness and depth, kinda spicy.

Dry: Mmm, those dry spices are nice! There's a little bit of sexy dryness and a little bit of manly dryness. Not bad, but the dill-like endnote is a little odd.

Category: Dry/Sexy

Rating: 2.5/5; Good and good, wearable

Overall: Don't know if I'll wear this much as it's pretty freaking strong and that dill smell is wierd. Great for patchouli lovers, though.

Patchouli, peppered and well-salted! I and my skin are huge fans of patchouli, and we're thrilled to have such a unique take on our fave scent.

Without reading the lab description I doubt that Pirate Woman would have ever entered my mind when I opened the imp and sniffed and followed that up with some happy slathering. But there is a definite big adventure and oceany feel to Anne Bonny (the latter due to the salty tang that's wonderfully present).

But with or without the Jolly Rodger theme, the oil is terrific -- long wear, an interesting morph over time that doesn't totally change the essential character of the scent, a nifty twist to the usual patchouli scents, plus a cool shiver me timbers concept to entertain me everytime I sniff my wrist. This is likely to be a big bottle for me, it'll make a good mid-late autumn scent.

I have been on a quest for blends that smell like incense and this had been recommended. When I put it on, I immediately smell the sandalwood and frankincense. I said sandalwood because of the description, but it reminds me of cedar planks. I know that the patchouli is back there, but it is very faint. This has a fairly good throw and quite a strong presence. It reminds me of a much sharper Cathedral without the florals. I will be buying a bottle of this.

Anne Bonny a frimp from the lab though I had one winging its way to me in another order...

In the Bottle: ick.. Nothing but ick…

Wet on Skin: hmmm odd I smell the ocean, pacific

Dry on skin: okay still salty air,

1 hour: salt and compost?

3 hours: Sweet rot

Throw:low

Staying power: at least 8 hours

Thoughts: what patchouli, what incense???

Score: (1=ick, 10=bottle!!!) 4 off to a swap or trade you go and your sister.... just not me...

Wet in the bottle, sharp and woody, rather like torches burning in a pirate galley. I approve, but can't say whether it'll be any good on me at all.

Damp, it's still very sharp, and very woody indeed. There's an incense aspect that's rather nice. Hope it comes out more in dry-down...

...oh, look, it does.

Dry, it's a sweet, sharp incense, all merchant ships burning before going down at sea. There's no salt or ozone in this at all, but it's still fabulously piratical!

Doesn't really do anything for me at all. After it dries, it turns into sweet nothing. There's a faint clean smell on my skin, but it's hard to tell if that's Anne Bonny or my soap!

I got this as a frimp and will probably pass it along as one as well. Just didn't work for me. :P

Anne Bonny is unfortunately not what I expected, for although it's true to the description and notes I was hoping for something a little more musky-this is very woody on me. In fact it's reminding me so much of Katmandu that at first I thought I had put Katmandu on by accident. However, this is grounded in something less sharp and more round-probably the musk that I was hoping would be more prominent.

Don't get me wrong, I do like this scent and will use up the imp. But I was expecting big things from Anne-mostly because she's got my name, and because I'm a pirate nut. I got an idea in my head of something more creamy, and this isn't doing that.

I was on the fence with this one for a while, wanting so badly to love old Anne Bonny. Finally I had to jump off. It just didn't work with my chemistry. The acrid, damp wood just never developed into anything more for me. :P