Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
roisnoir

Anne Bonny

Named in honor of the most notorious female pirate to ever set sail. Wicked, cruel, beautiful, intelligent, resourceful and dangerous: a true role model. A blend of Indonesian red patchouli, red sandalwood, and frankincense. A million thanks to Juliana Williamson-Page for inspiration!

In the imp I get a bit of sandalwood and patchouli(not the icky black kind, though, lol)...
On skin, at first, same as above but it quickly strengthens and morphs into a lovely...cedar?? Yep, I get cedar. But it's an ocean sprayed cedar. Wet, woody and earthy.
Gorgeous!!

In imp: Salty, sweet, spicy, heavy - yum.

Wet - Metal, sweet, smoke, woods, herbs - I'm overwhelmed, confused, but intrigued.

Near drydown - Moldy, oily incense - yuck.

Middle drydown - Mold and oil disappeared - slightly sweet, spicy - yummy, but I wish the salt and wood would come back.

Far drydown - Here's that soft, spicy woodsy fragrance I was looking for. Anne Bonny goes through lots of changes during her journey.

Don't know about a bottle - near drydown is pretty bad.

I love patchouli and frankincense. Sandalwood is okay too, not my favorite but I have nothing against it, lol.

I was expecting to really like Anne Bonny. BPAL's Indonesian red patchouli just sometimes goes very off on my skin, and it's very bad in Anne Bonny. The best way that I could think to describe this fragrance would be that it smells dirty to me, in a sweaty and in need of a bath sort of way.

On me... I smell like I was working in a lumber yard all day in the sweltering heat... sweaty, woodsy, gross. And this is insanely strong and has amazing throw and lasting power.

This is one of the few patchouli blends that I don't love (or even like).

Edited by Blood onmy hands

I had been awaiting a chance to try this for a long time, because, well, I'll try anything with patchouli.

Wet, it's very incensey- it's a little musky for me, with no perceptible sweetness to soften it. I like it though, even though it's simpler than most BPAL scents. It's kind of woody, which I like.

After 30 minutes it actually smells exactly the same- no morphing action on this one. Incense. I like how straightforward it is though.

After an hour- still the same :>

Weird. Got a very medicinal incensy smell. Later on I thought I smelled B.O. in a health food store, only to find out it was my perfume! This has an odd scent on me, good throw and decent staying power, but as mentioned, morphed to a strange smell which later, much later , is lingering as a sweet scent. For me, not something I want to smell like, especially when its fresh on me!

You know, this one is like Old Spice for chicks. THAT IS NOT A BAD THING. It's been around forever for a reason, you know.

It's spicy, rich and musky. It's something I imagine Marlene Dietrich would wear.

Also, it's husband approved! :P

This one hardly changed a bit from application through several hours of drydown while sweating.

Just a lovely, warm, spicy blend of those three resins; the sandalwood is the spicy bit, warmed up mainly by the patchouli on me. Brown and red and very strong on me.

It got a little sweeter later on, but in a resinous, amber-like way that just added another dimension.

Fitting I tried this on Talk Like a Pirate Day. Yarr -- I'll be ordering more!

What a great incense scent. It reminds me a lot of Depraved, except without the apricot edge. It's definitely a patchouli scent, with just a hint of red frankincense underneath. I love patchouli blends, and this one is no exception. Strong, sexy, long lasting and yummy. Bravo!

I put on my black harness motorcycle boots for the first time this fall and thought what the hell, let's really test out that Anne Bonny in a big way!

Patchouli works on me, and the patchouli in this blend is the spicier sort. The first hour, I was under the strong influences of the patchouli plus the frankincense smokiness. About 5 hours later, I'm pleased to say the sweetness of the sandalwood has not overwhelmed me, and all the components of the blend are there when I sniff my wrist. And I may be nuts, and it's probably coming from the sweetness of the sandalwood, I could swear I get the tiniest whiff of coconut. There had to be a few coconuts rolling around on the pirate ships, eh? And I smell a little iodine?

While I know I have my biker boots on, I do attribute the influence of Anne Bonny to a man asking me why I don't own a Harley, because I would look so great on one. It has to be that she-pirate vibe!

Aye, matey... Anne Bonny can put you in the mood!

valentina :P

Edited by valentina

Mmm This is nice. It starts out very strong in the imp and while it's wet. After a minute though it is nice and subtly woody with a little spice.

Ok, just read the description and yup, that's what it smells like, but I smell a little something ambery too. Maybe that's from one of the othe notes. It's kind of a skin type smell.

I like it.

I really wanted to like this blend. I really, REALLY did. I mean, it's named after the most kickass female pirate EVER. What's not to love?

But alas, it hurts my nose something terrible. I think it's the patchouli - it just attacks me and gives me a headache. :P

I've been wanting this one since I first looked at the Lab site, and finally got to try it -- but as it turns out, I don't really like it as much as I thought I would. It's not bad, but not great. Definitely an incensey scent, which is a genre of scent that I tend to like, but it's not really as complex or interesting as some of the others.

It smelled nice enough in the imp, though again, not outstanding. On, there was a strange sort of pungency to it at first, almost like camphor or something, and I'm not sure where that was coming from. But it faded after a few minutes to what I could best describe as a sort of generic incensey scent. I could smell all the individual notes in it fairly well, particularly the patchouli which seemed quite strong, but they never really blended into anything greater than the sum of its parts. It was pleasant enough, but just didn't really excite me.

On my wrists, the scent faded entirely within 2 hours. In the crooks of my arms, it seems to have lasted longer, but only as straight patchouli; the sandalwood and frankincense seem to be gone. All in all, OK, but not terribly impressive.

Grade: B

Anne Bonny:

In the bottle: Kinda spicy, kinda wood-y... I do believe that's the frankincense and sandalwood, respectively. I'm only getting a hint of the (ICK!) patchouli.

Wet: Smells. Like. Sawdust. No, literally. My wrist smells like a construction site!

Drydown: Bah. Now it just smells kinda like spicy sawdust, with patchouli that spilled a long time ago and dried and now is very light.

Conclusion: sell imp ER... on second thought, the "spicy sawdust" is actually kind of calming. I'll have to try this again, on a slightly larger scale.

In the Imp

Metallic! Smells a little like my Daddy's Old SPICE?!? Nooo. That won't do at all. Wood?

Wet On

OOO. Spice, something warmer coming through. The metalic fades and wet cedar starts to peek thru.

Dry on

MMMM! Luxurious incense, sweet sandalwood, faint patchouli and a lovely cedar! Definitely worth fighting thru the clanging swords and jarring spice to get to this. I like the girl pirate! ARRRRRR!

...she may be all that...but she is also a very, very, very, DIRTY girl. I have turned into a SKANKY pirate who smells as if she has not bathed in a very long time, having been sailing on her scurfy boat, in her only outfit.

DH loves the "dirty" smell, but I like mine cleaned up or creamed out.

Bottle: Very woody, spicy scent. Sandalwood, patchouli. Very nice and exotic, but lighter than I imagined.

On Skin: Doesn't seem to change much. The throw is strong, but short-lived. However, it does last for quite awhile. Even if it's not strong on my skin, it persists.

Burnt: Excellent here. Nice, strong, and powerful.

A decent blend, but there are better ones out there for me. 6/10.

Imp: red, all right!

Wet: sandalwood may be out in front, but the patchouli and frankincense are right behind.

Drydown: definitely a forthright fragrance. No shyness here; the three notes have unified. Power to the Pirate!

Worn: this fragrance develops depth on my skin, and again, it's unified depth; instead of having notes poking out at this level and that level and the other level, it's as though the fragrance meshes all three together. If anything pokes out, it's the sandalwood, the point of the blade if you will, with the other two backing it up. It has a little throw, lasts for a few hours, and I like that it's not expressly feminine but supports what innate femininity there is.

Conclusion: This will make a good fragrance for focused action, as long as I don't get distracted by sniffing my own wrist. Or swaggering. Thanks to the Lab's largesse, I'm now looking forward to pitting frimps of Anne Bonny (red sandalwood/red patchouli/frankincense) against Rakshasa (sandalwood/patchouli/rose) in a Celebrity Death Match...

Being a girl who likes earthy scents, I reeeeealllly tried to like this one. Unfortunately, all it did was turn to soapy sandalwood on my skin. It still smelled pretty good, but it wasn't dramatic enough for my tastes. If you're looking for a safe, everyday earthy scent, then this would be great. It struck me as a "staple" scent, and not the type of scent that leaves me smelling my wrists all day. It's not bad at all, but there are other earthy bpal scents that interest me more.

When I first tried Anne Bonny, I thought of Shalimar. I don't like Shalimar, but both it and Anne Bonny have many die-hard fans.

This was the first gift-imp from the lab, and I gave it to a friend long before I became accustomed to BPAL. I'd love a chance to sniff it again with my more-experienced nose.

I got Anne Bonny in a swap from a friend who LOVES this scent.

I really wanted to like it because of the name but - on me, Anne Bonny goes totally patchouli head-shop. I smell less like a pirate queen than a hippie chick. It's the patchouli, which I have never been able to wear well.

Off to the swap pile.

annebonny.jpg

Well, pirates, this one is a fair representation of seafaring wenches. I smell the creosote and salt spray in here, and a waft of wickedness upon the high seas. Patchouli from India, a sort of stony scent, aquatics. It adds up to a hearty exotic blend which will have you thinking of head shops and the fun you had therein. It's a good scent, and for the earthy folk on the forum, I can certainly see how it has won a place in hearts. It isn't for me, but I would recommend it with vigor for those who want to put in at Hispaniola. Arrrr.

In the imp: This smells much lighter than I was expecting from the description. I have to hold it very close to my nose to smell much, and then I'm getting a non-determinate woody scent which is seems more cedar to my nose than any of the named notes.

Wet: This is definitely stronger than it seemed in the imp. When it hits my skin the sandalwood wakes right up and cries out to be noticed, but there's something sweet coming up through the wood. I'm wondering if it's the red patchouli and it's going to turn molasses on me the way the patchouli in Vixen does?... I would like that quite a lot. It might also be the frankincense.

Early dry down: No molasses yet, and the sweetness has pretty well disappeared. The sandalwood is really the dominant note, and it's definitely a very woody sandalwood and not a spicy one. As it settles into my skin, I'm once again getting a very cedar-esque scent. It reminds me of the inside of J's humidor.

Dry down: This one has more throw than I expected based on the strength in the imp and its wet application. I don't think it's enough to set my anti-perfume alarms screeching (no one would be olfactorily injured in an elevator with me), but I catch whiffs of it quite frequently without having to shove my wrist up against my nose.

It's a very hot/dry scent, and I find myself thinking of the deck of a ship which has been beached for years on a desert island. The planks would be sun baked and starting to split from the heat, but there would still be a salty tang to them from their years at sea.

This is one of those scents about which I'm having a very hard time making a verdict. On one hand, it's much woodier than anything I'd normally wear and lacks the subtle sweetness that tempers my favorite scents. On the other, it settles against the skin so well that it feels less like a scent I've applied and more like a natural odor I became infused with by lingering inside the walk-in humidor. This is definitely one I'm going to have to get the boy's opinion on. If he likes it, I can see myself wearing it fairly frequently in the winter when I want to be warmed up. But if he dislikes it, I can also see myself saying, "Yes, this really is too masculine" and happily swapping it.

I do sometimes wish I was more decisive.

This was a freebie from the Lab and I make it a point to try everything the Lab sends me but... Bah, this is pure patchouli on me. Not quite disaster levels but not quite the prettiest thing on me either. Totally not for me. I bet this smells and sutis someone else more but it's just not me.

A freebie from the Lab! I am so pleased to try this, because it is not one I would order for myself based on notes, BUT it would be so cute to wear it when Brian is wearing Jolly Roger. In fact, just having this imp makes me want to finally get over to Joli Rouge, the new(ish) pirate/Goth club here in town, so I have an excuse to wear it. Obviously, I'm thinking of Anne Bonny more in terms of costumes, since my everyday identity is fairy rather than pirate. :P

For some reason I was expecting rum, but on me Anne Bonny smells like...Cathedral, actually. Incense and sandalwood. But with a fresh, salty touch, like a big ol' wooden ship carrying a cargo of incense. It's really pretty masculine for me, so I might layer with something else to make it more "me". But I want to keep the imp because it is just such a fun identity to take on sometimes.