Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
roisnoir

Anne Bonny

Named in honor of the most notorious female pirate to ever set sail. Wicked, cruel, beautiful, intelligent, resourceful and dangerous: a true role model. A blend of Indonesian red patchouli, red sandalwood, and frankincense. A million thanks to Juliana Williamson-Page for inspiration!

In the imp it's nice and spicy. Oooh goodie!!!

On the skin it very woody....well on me at least. I'm getting a lot of "cedar" and I don't know why. Maybe the Frank and Sand mingle and have a cedar baby. I'm not complaining because I dig that.

Not a BIG throw but more than some in the beginning.

It gets eaten up on my skin but unfortunately most do. After 2 hours the scent is all but gone on my wrist. I can still get the scent of woody spice but it's very faint.

All in all I really like this scent. Eventually, I may need to purchase a bottle!

This smells soft and beautiful on a dear friend of mine, but...I do not like it at all on myself. In fact, I hate it. The woodiness is overwhelming and almost bitter - or maybe that is the frankincense. I washed it off.

I can't believe it has taken me until NOW to test this imp!

Imp: Cedar? why am I getting cedar
Wet On Me: sharp, almost medicinal cedar
Drying Down: finally getting some of the patchouli notes...but it smells like it's been wrapped in cedar....could that be the sandalwood and frankincense tag teaming?
Dry: resin, incense, patchouli and the inside of a cedar chest. Not a bad thing, a comforting thing.

I'm also getting cedar out of this, at least after it settles. Wet on the skin it's obviously patch, and a bright, spicy, borderline-fruity patch at that (similar to the patch in Fake News, although probably not identical). Once it dries the sandalwood, patch, and frankincense blend together into a cedar scent very similar to Aureus on me. This is definitely a spicy, deep red-brown scent, and I can totally see a lady pirate wearing it. There's a brashness and commanding presence to it.

ETA: I spoke too soon. After the Aureus phase it separates again into super-spicy sandalwood and fruity red patch. The richness of the wood really comes out as it warms to the skin. The throw is great. Full bottle for me, for sure!

Edited by lizabelle

This patch seems similar to the one found in Fake News and Badgers. I definitely get a more woodsy dry scent thanks to the sandalwood and Frank. Not my thing, but it definitely does evoke a very pirate-y feel. Maybe I should wear this on Pirates at Disney!

It's a nice, dry scent. It's mostly patchouli on me with a pleasant woodiness. It doesn't change over time for me, It pretty consistently stays a slightly spicy patch with some depth added by the sandalwood. I don't get much outright frankincense, but I'd bet it helps round out the edges. It's a pretty simple scent that does have a slight edge of "I'm dangerous." I'll be happy to hold on to my imp, but it's not something I'd reach for often.

Herbal, confusing, and self-assured. I like this a lot, but maybe it smells too similar to another blend I have. I want to say Tombstone, weirdly.

Where I'd wear this: To keep cool (and cool-headed) in Arizona

Patchouli and sandalwood. And this is definitely a red sandalwood. Dry and a little spicy. Smells brave, self assured and a little bit reckless. It's almost aspirational. I want to BE the person who wears this scent (so Anne Bonny, apparently).

I like it very much, but not sure how often I would reach for it.

i love all three of these notes, and i love this blend. the sandalwood lends a warm blanket to the patch and the frankincense keeps it from crossing into the too perfumey category. love it.

In the imp: A lot more pleasant than I was expecting! I thought this would be really strong, with the patchouli and resins, but the red patchouli in this is soft, and the frankincense isn't sharp. In the imp, I get the frankincense the most, followed by the red sandalwood, and then the patchouli. I swear there's an unlisted salt water note, but perhaps that's just my imagination.

Wet: The red patchouli is far more prominent on my skin, but it is a chewy patch that really complements the resins. I'm also getting more of the red sandalwood from the scent on my skin. The frankincense in this is very present, but isn't sharp by any means. I'm still getting something that reminds me of sea salt or sea air, or maybe ship wood strewn with salt water. But it isn't an aquatic scent!

Dry: I'm still getting that salty sea air or salt-tinged wood impression! The red patchouli is the dominant note now, which now reads as a dry, red patch, backed by the soft resins. It definitely reads as red to my nose, and it has a bit of a spicy kick to it.

Verdict: This one was a lot more pleasant than I thought it would be! It's not something I need a bottle of, but it's evocative of its name. I think I'll keep my imp.

Edited by dementia_divine

I wish this was more red patchouli forward on me. Traditional resins, like my dear friend Frank tend to come off..slightly sour? Very sharp. After a bit of time, this is more sandalwood than Frankincense which suits my nose just fine. Its nice, but I probably wont need to get a bottle right away.

In the imp this was a rich, sweet patchouli the kind I love but unfortunately generally doesn't work on my skin anymore. With the sandalwood this definitely went to the drier, more woody side of patchouli when wet. Eventually the frankincense takes over a bit, making it a bright, gritty scent. It retains the earthy woodiness from the patch and sandalwood making it almost rugged on me. It glows in a grounded, earthy way. The word sun-baked comes to mind.

Imp of indeterminate age. I don't love the wet phase of Anne Bonny on my skin. It's sharp, dry frankincense, sharp dry patchouli, sandalwood threatening to turn into pencil shavings. Not a scrubber, but not making my heart sing. Then it dries and the magic happens. It's still dry but no longer sharp and has become something beautiful, more than the sum of its wet parts. Roseus captured it perfectly: sun-baked. I think I'm going to want to smell like this in the dead of winter, dry and warm and fierce. Applied before leaving the house, Anne Bonny will be perfect by the time I get to work.

Wet: Salt and cedar. ... neither which seem to be listed as notes!

Dry: Still some salty cedar, not really any change from the wet stage. Cedar(or anything that smells similar to cedar) is not my jam.

In bottle: Salt and strong, fresh cedar. (Even though neither of those are notes, it’s so specifically what this perfume smells like!) It really has a seaside vibe, like the smell of being on an old wooden ship.

Wet: Lovely warm salt and sharp resiny wood, probably the patchouli, though it still comes off as mostly cedar.

Dry: The same; it’s not a blend that changes much from stage to stage. 

Anne Bonny has wonderful lasting power; I can often still smell it the next day. This is one of my very favorite BPAL scents; it really has a professional vibe to me, and is usually what I choose to wear to interviews. It’s not loud or overwhelming, but does make itself present; it’s not particularly feminine but it’s also not overtly masculine. It makes me feel confident and mature and like the extremely competent boss everyone secretly wants to be. I don't get a wicked or cruel vibe from this at all, or much of a pirate feel, but "beautiful, intelligent, resourceful" – yes, exactly!

I did not expect to like this---patchouli and frankincense are iffy on me---but I really do! I adore the smell of cedar and this smells like salty cedar goodness. The frankincense is a bit strong on me at first but it quickly fades to a gentle, warm red cedar. I will definitely be holding on to this one.

Was recently frimped this by a forumite. In the imp, it's very strong, sharp incense -- yikes! (I can't tell if it's the patch or the frankincense, but based on other scents I've tried recently, I think it might be the latter). It develops wonderfully once on, though -- I'm used to softer white sandalwood blends, but this sandalwood is closer to cedar -- definitely a wood note, but avoids pencil-shavings territory. The sharpness also fades, and I get wood and spices that are reminding me almost of fresh ginger, even though that's not a note in the description. It's more subtle and close to the skin than that initial sharp blast from imp suggested. It's woods and resins and a hint of spice, but in a very low-key way. I don't think I need more than an imp, but I like it a lot more than I expected to at first sniff.

I tried this today and love it! It's not salt or cedar at all on me - it's the three notes, perfectly balanced into warm reddish smooth spiciness. I feel like an elegant hippie, which is pretty much exactly what I want to smell like. 

I acquired an aged bottle (10+ years old) of Anne Bonny.

In bottle: the patchouli is still very apparent; unlike my face, some things do not age. Also a salty, metallic note.

20 minutes: As it was drying on skin the patchouli was still quite open and there was almost bitter edge on the dry down.

One hour: The wood resins come out.  I am actually starting to just smell like lumber.  Like a freshly purchased cedar chest.

5-6 hours in:  Now there's some mellowing and I'm finally getting the frankincense. 

I cannot think of an occasion where I would want to where this again.  I need to send her on to a new home where someone with different skin chemistry can let her shine.

V short opening with patchouli acetone poppersesque 3 second rush which quickly disappears. Replaced by powerful zing of citrus-rosemary-green piney. Real eye opener pick up moment!

Mellows out to more citrus salt as the evergreen smells recede. 

Once it settles down: Perky elegant golden pine touched light colored bright wood smell elegantly blended with just enough patchouli to make it mysterious.

Somewhere in the family of aureus without musk and aelopile without citrus, lol. Recommend if you like bpals light woodsy resins and don't hate patchouli. Also recommended for out of this world knock your socks off hey get out of bed big openings.

Edited by Supertrooper Omni

In the imp: Definitely red sandalwood, with a hint of frankincense behind it. 

On my skin:

Wet, it's basically all sandalwood. As it dries, the frankincense floats up, lightening the scent without sweetening it, and creating a little bit of a powdery feel. Given more time to develop, the frankincense really comes to the forefront, with an almost slightly lemony quality. It's not necessarily super citrus or anything, but it is brighter than I usually get from frankincense. I do get a little backing of sandalwood (and you could convince me that patch was playing a role; patchouli tends to be present but understated on me), but after the initial phase, it's the frankincense that's driving the personality of this scent on me. 

I like this, but I'm not sure I like this enough to wear it regularly, especially when it's far from the only perfume I have with patch or sandalwood or frankincense. 

Woody warm patchouli with a touch of smoke. The red sandalwood gives it a bright near-fruit almost-sweetness. I wouldn't call it a morpher but, like a pirate flag fluttering in the wind, the notes tend to oscillate through which is at the forefront with every stage engaging in a slightly different way.

Received as an imp. I'm in love with this one. The patchouli is so fragrant, & deep. The frankincense & sandalwood give this one a lot of body too. Will most likely buy a bottle in the future.

Edited by Rane.
*typo correction

The color in the imp is surprisingly light for a scent that boasts of danger and criminal activity. This absolutely smells like a pirate ship. The sandalwood is the base that I'm picking up, slight hints of leather, and a touch of the incensey frankincense and patchouli to give it some smoke. Not my cup of tea but I could see how pirate girls around the world would bask in it. It's quite masculine but when has that ever stopped us?