Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
roisnoir

Anne Bonny

Named in honor of the most notorious female pirate to ever set sail. Wicked, cruel, beautiful, intelligent, resourceful and dangerous: a true role model. A blend of Indonesian red patchouli, red sandalwood, and frankincense. A million thanks to Juliana Williamson-Page for inspiration!

This is lovely! At first the scent is all about sandalwood. It's dark and strong :wub2:

In an hour or so Anne Bonny mellows down and all I can smell is patchouli and something sweet...I'm really bad at picking out particular scents, but for some reason I can detect a hint of vanilla. I'm sure it's not in the ingredients, but my strange skin turns a lot of scents sweet.
Luckily patchouli is more dominant and it smells wonderful on me! This one is a keeper!

This is a fairly aged imp , I'd say at least 2 years old . And man , the patch is kicking ass all over the other notes now . But good god it's such a lovely patchouli . I am getting a tiny bit of something else , but it's not sandalwood . Or , if it is , the patch is so dominating it that it's not exhibiting the usual notes . It's so far behind the main note that it's honestly hard to notice without really looking for it .

Having said all that , I love patchouli so this is a winner as far as I'm concerned . And very unisex .

In the imp, on wet: Avon Skin-so-Soft! For whatever reason, Anne Bonny smells exactly like Skin-so-Soft. That's a smell I like, but I have pretty much a lifetime supply of SSS thanks to my mom who is an Avon junkie. Hmm.

Drydown: A little bit of the same Mary Jane smell I got with Laudanum...not sure what it is since the two don't seem to share notes. I actually kind of like this smell (don't tell Johnny Law).

Dry: Ooh, now it's getting nice and salty. I love salty smells but don't much like the way most aquatics go floral on me, so this is awesome. Definitely a keeper. A little sweeter than I might ideally want (probably due to frankincense), but this imp looks fairly new so I think with aging this will become very nice.

First Sniff: Light leather and patchouli.

Initial Wet Application: It’s the same leather scent I get from Jolly Roger, but softer and definitely more feminine. Here’s to hoping this is my female pirate oil!

Beginning Dry Down (first 15 minutes) & Dry: It’s definitely musky, although it’s more gentle a musk than in the other pirate scents I’ve tried so far. As it completed it’s dry down, I was getting the sandalwood and then the frankincense too. It’s light, which is nice because usually sandalwood screams ‘fakefakefake’ to me when I smell in in places like a mall. All three notes mix together nicely to make up a soft scent with a bit of spices underneath.

My Reaction: The softer leather in this was enjoyable and I liked how there are subtle spices in this too. It definitely makes me think exotic sailing destinations, probably to places like India! But it seems that all the pirate scents from the lab are going to have the same leather notes in them because I’m getting pretty much the same thing from Jolly Roger, Mary Reed, Grog and now Anne Bonney. The leather is softer in this, which makes it work better on this lady pirate, but I’m surprised all of these have turned out pretty much the same for me. I realize they’re supposed to be similar, but I’d been hoping Anne Bonney at least would show me something new. Since she’s my favorite pirate, I’ll probably hang onto this for the name alone.

Rating: 3

Imp: Mostly frankincense, but a little different. Overall, it's an incensey, almost enchantment shop smell

Wet: Frankincense, frankincense, frankincense. :( Why do I amp you so? Seriously. Sod off for just a second, please?

Dry: Washed off, as the pure frankincense was starting to hurt my head.

In the imp: Sandalwood. Somehow I get an impression of a forest.

Wet: After testing several blends all containing patchouli, I realize that what my nose identifies as cedar is, in fact, the Lab's fresh patchouli note. That's what I keep smelling until, after several hours, the frankincense appears. I like this incensey stage better than the pure-patchouli one.

I think another test on another day may be in order, because I don't know if I'm enough of a pirate to wear this. :smile:

Edited by lucycat

I really ought to read more about Anne Bonny. I only vaguely know who she is, and she sounds like she'd have an awesome story!

In the imp: I'm getting kind of a sweet smell, with a little bit of spice to it. Not sugary sweet, more like beeswax

Wet on skin: Stronger sandalwood and incense. I think I''m also getting the patchouli, too, but these three notes blend into each other so well, it's hard to tell where one stops and the next begins.

Dried down: This is very incense and patchouli heavy, but the patchouli isn't too overpowering for me, like with #occupywallstreet. I think the sandalwood maybe tones it down a little bit.

Throw: This has some decent throw, and besides the incense and patch, there's still that beeswaxiness I was detecting earlier. Ihave no idea where it's coming from, but it softens this cent, and makes me like it that much more.

Verdict: ***** I seem to have had a very different scent experience from other people with this one. I know I say I have too many incensey scents already, but I think this has entered the competition for a bottle.

This is mostly incense on me. Wet, it's more spicy and has some of the same "sauna smell" I got from the drydown of Jolly Roger. Dry, it's more smoky, but the overall theme is still incense. Decent throw and lasts quite a while. It's nice, but reminds me a lot of nag champa and going to temple as a kid, which isn't really my favorite thing to smell like.

On application, Anne is all about the patchouli. This isn't too surprising since I amp "woody" notes.

On my second sniff, I getting something akin to Vicks - a eucalyptus/menthol feel. Luckily, the menthol dissipates on dry down, and I can smell the sandalwood and frankincense coming thru the initial patch blast.

Truth be told, I was somewhat afraid to test this one out because of the patch and other really resin/wood heavy scents. It's surprisingly wearable - even for this sugar/foody/floral loving girl. :lol:

I love Anne Bonny. This is very similar to Midnight Mass to me. Anne Bonny is slightly stronger and has more patchouli but the wonderful woodiness and frankincense is there. I actually thought I put on Midnight Mass by acident and had to double check the imp to make sure it was Anne Bonny. It is nice to know that if Midnight Mass is not available, since it usually only come out for the Yules, I can get me some Anne Bonny anytime. Who would have thought Anne Bonny would smell churchy.

Wet: Fresh, smooth patchouli, soft leather, and wood. Almost clean in its simplicity.

Drydown: Darker and grittier on the skin. Damp sandalwood dirtied up by smokey patchouli and a pinch of salt. The frankincense seems to be quietly singing church hymns off to the side, not quite knowing what to do with itself. There is a strange dichotomy between the wicked and the reverent here.

Dry: Dry, dirty planks of wood stained by gunpowder and salt, joined by festive frankincense. Smokey, adventurous, sexy, and cleaner than one might expect.

7.5 out of 10 bones

Edited by BoneBone24
(updated to include more recent impressions)

I'm not going to spend much time reviewing what this actually smells like, because from wet to dry, it's spicy dark patch with wood and incense being background players. It's dirty, sensual and feminine without being unisex at the same time.

What I am hear to say is that I love this so much I am halfway through my imp after three days. I've used some in my hair, slathered it on my wrist and neck, and even down my bra. I have found what they mean by a signature scent. I have worn this every day since I got it, which never happens, and I'm still not even close to tired of it. A bottle will be coming home ASAP.

strong patchouli and sandalwood. I don't really get much frankincense. this is a little dry and aggressive smelling for daily wear, but it is nice/interesting enough to keep the imp of.

Had this imp for about a year, and I really like it. It's simple but pleasant, and just understated enough that I can wear it without feeling like it might bother those around me.

In the imp and wet on my skin, I get a lot of frankincense, with the sandalwood and patchouli playing back-up. It's soft on me, but it's not delicate or dainty. There's a sort of...sturdiness, I suppose?...to Anne Bonny, which seems appropriate. The scent isn't potent, but it is very decently noticeable as not just being a skin scent, and it has a presence despite being so soft.

As it dries, I get a bit more of the sandalwood and patchouli, making it a bit more strongly all three notes in one, rather than the frankincense playing frontman. It's a nice, pleasant sort of incense scent overall, and it clings close enough to my skin that I have to think about it to smell it, but it's also the sort that clings pleasantly to clothing, giving me a nice little hint of something pleasant through the day.

Definitely on the bottle list.

Hoooooo boy. Now I know what too much frankincense smells like. It's not that it smells bad - it's actually really appealing in a rough, fierce way. But it gives me a headache. .

Arrrrrrrrrr. Tis but a swappie. :(

In the imp: Rich sandalwood.

Wet on my skin: Rich sandalwood and a hint of frankincense.

Dry: I am a fan of woody incense blends, and this is one of the nicest I've tried so far! Patchouli and frankincense love my skin, and they're taking this sandalwood from what could have been pencil shavings to a beautifully spicy, slightly earthy wood. This is an almost sexy scent, deep and strong. I like it!

Imp: Musky herbs.

Wet: Very woody. Not like trees woody but the sort of pungent sweet spice of old worn wood that's been sitting out in the sun. I do get the sort of antique store incense vibe as well.

Dry: Its dried down to what smells like man to me! I agree with the other reviewer who said it smells like a sauna. I do get a very warm woody scent with a faint hint of skin and sweat. It's not bad. In fact, I think it's beautiful and enticing in its own way. This isn't a sweaty gross man scent. This is a man who showered this morning and then spent a little while sawing wood. It's like sawdust on skin and I think it could be layered in really interesting ways to make some perfectly piratical scents. I'm currently fresh from a bath wherein I used Lush's Big Calm shower jelly which smells very softly of coconut and pineapple. And it seems like a good mix.

That being said, it's just not my thing, and I get the most ominous suspicion that if worn over time, my skin would amp the sweat factor and betray me.

Sandalwood with sweetness from the frankencense. Close up I can detect the earthy patchouli. Momma like!

Retested 6/14 - Salty sandalwood. I don't like it anymore. :/

Edited by Malaena

I love Anne Bonny for its woody, resin-y qualities. The patchouli is very well-behaved, and blends beautifully with the sandalwood & frankincense. I feel like there's some Amber in there, too, because the overall feeling is sweeter than I would expect from patch, sandal & frankincense. I was so impressed by the imp that I bought a 5 ml bottle, and am very happy with it.

It's very strong at first, but dries down to a subtle scent. A co-worker, however, asked if I was wearing Jean Nate'! My goodness, noses are funny things.

Edited by Teamama

This one doesn't excite me. It starts out an austere sandalwood and is slowly warmed by the frankincense and patchouli, but these (with the exception of the frankincense for just a moment) never really come into their own. Not by any means unpleasant, but it doesn't seem like a stand-alone scent. I do think it would be good to add a little depth to other oils that could use it, though.

Funny I haven't reviewed this. It was one of my first imps I bought a bottle of. It is perfect- patch, frank and sandal. Definitely better after bottle aged 6 months. Rich, grounding and sexy. You will need to like these notes to be as gaga over it as I am. The patch hits first, but then settles (but happily never goes away!)and blends with the frankincense and sandalwood. Someone mentioned it reminded them if a stronger Midnight Mass and I see where they get that. Perhaps the same frankincense compound. I actually like it better than Midnight Mass (which I love) because it packs a bigger punch. Hey, she is a pirate after all!

Bottle: Mostly the frankincense, but it's kind of soft, and there's an overall impression of red. I wouldn't have picked this freebie on my own, or thought that I'd favor these notes, but the first impression is good.

Wet: A red, resinous blend. (Just earthy red in tone -- the liquid itself is pale tawny yellow.) Patchouli dominates, which would make me wary in a description -- but it's a nice patchouli. I seem to get a little unlisted vanilla.

Dry: As this dries, a rusty-red, woody sweetness comes out on me. I want to say it's the sandalwood, but it's so sweet, and I'm not distinguishing the "red" notes clearly. I don't have the vanilla impression anymore, so maybe that wasn't it -- vanilla is usually around after drydown.

This reminds me of Red Rocks Amphitheatre in Colorado. It's not really me, but I like it and will enjoy the imp.

Wet: Warm red sandalwood. Then the Frank amps up and overtakes it, the sandalwood takes a back seat. The patch is just a hint.

Dry: The Frankincense just keeps right on amping until it takes everything over, which isn't unusual on me. I do still get hints of the other notes, but I was hoping for more red sandalwood. It's nice, but this is not a "me" scent at all.

It's like Mary Read's darker, more evil sister! The red patchouli really gives this blend something oriental, something exotic, shrouded in something beeswax or even leather-y. A wonderful sultry kickass blend!