Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
roisnoir

Anne Bonny

Named in honor of the most notorious female pirate to ever set sail. Wicked, cruel, beautiful, intelligent, resourceful and dangerous: a true role model. A blend of Indonesian red patchouli, red sandalwood, and frankincense. A million thanks to Juliana Williamson-Page for inspiration!

This isn't exactly what I was expecting, but I think that's because I really wasn't familiar with frankincense. But this is really very nice-warm, spicey, and slightly naughty! I think after I get used to the frankincese, I'm really going to love this one. It's really hard to find good blends that aren't fruity or flowery without being overly masculine.

Mmmm....

Anne Bonney is great. It's sweet and woodsy and intense and makes me feel like a pirate.

It's fairly strong for the first three or four hours, and mainly frakinsence sweetened by the pachouli.

After about hour five, it morphed completely, turning into a subtle, sweet sandalwood. Really lovely still, but entirely different than it started out as.

I like this one, but I'm still not sure if I like it enough to buy a bottle. I'll have to use up my imp to see, I think.

Wow! I was expecting a more incensy smell form this but Whoooa Pachoili! This not was immediate, sharp tangy and absolutely beautiful! (note to self, find red sandalwood single note...somewhere!)

After about 5 minutes a powdery smell started to emerge, but it was a malicious powdery smell, if such a thing exists. Not girly at all, floating in a haze over the pungent swirls of Pachouli and one other spicey smell.

This is a scent to be reconed with! It is very red and brown to me, with a bit of dark gold and burgundy. Very seductive, but when too close, very manipulative and conniving, bloodthirsty.

Sigh... :P Big bottle time, I think.

In the bottle: This is quite a bit sweeter than I expected. It smells very earthy, but not dirty.

Wearing: Ooh, sandalwood! It just pops out and gives the blend a little bit of a sheen, so to speak. The frankincense is there, but definitely not as strong as the sandalwood. And the patchouli isn't even making an appearance, which I was hoping would happen as the note gives me a headache. This is another one that surprised me. I thought this was going to smell positively dark and aggressive, when really it's almost kind of pretty. However, it is as strong and full-bodied as I wanted, and it has plenty of throw. It's like a beautiful, quiet and intimidating woman in the room whose presence speaks louder than words.

Later: Frankincense. Very, very dry frankincense. Ooh, I smell like incense! This is so lovely. I will definitely wear this when I want to feel laid back, but not so much that I feel weak.

Anne Bonny:

In the imp, it smells very warm and orange.

Wet, applied: Definitely spicy. I smell the sandalwood moreso than the patchouli. Admittedly, I'm not familliar with the smell of frankincense, so I don't detect it at all.

Drydown & longterm wear: I really like this scent. It's a touch heavy, and beyond the spicyness of the sandalwood and patchouli, I also smell something wood-like (like a deeply polished antique table), and perhaps sea salt? I can only faintly smell the patchouli, which is great - I'm not overly fond of strong patchouli, and this scent has just enough to make a wonderful blend.

I do believe I'll be keeping this one.

This is one of those scents that really brings out how varied different people's senses of smell are. It reminds me of something I learned in a cooking class once - that some people hate cilantro because their noses actually work differently and they smell it as a soap smell (I think I belong to that group - for the longest time I thought food had gone bad when it had cilantro in it - I've learned to appreciate it since then).

On me, Anne Bonne is cedar and vanilla and nothing else. I strained to smell all the interesting notes other people were picking up, but none of them showed up.

Happily I like the smell of cedar and vanilla, so I'm enjoying my imp.

And I agree with everyone who said it would work on a man - I think this would be insanely sexy on a guy. I could fall in love with a guy who smelled like this.

In the bottle- whoa...patchouli and incense. It was so strong I was a bit afraid to put it on for a while!

on first application- it made my wrist feel warm! Also, the patchouli was very strong at first- Anne Bonny is on the attack! I couldn't get much else out of it for about 15 minutes. Then, the spiciness mellowed out, and I could smell a woodsy smell underneath. The later spiciness was much nicer as well- the sandalwood and patchouli blended well, making for one of the better experiences I've had with patchouli in perfumes.

Anne Bonny only lasted a couple of hours on me. Overall, I liked it better than I had expected, but not well enough to keep in a collection that's already overflowing, so off to swaps! I'm glad I got to try it, though.

Anne Bonny

In the Vial: A light whiff of Patchouli.

Wet: Mostly I smell the Patchouli, but I can smell a bit of the Sandalwood I think...

Dry: Sandalwood and Patchouli and something that smells a little sweet fight for dominance.... It's a very beautiful scent.

Conclusion: While it smells nice it's not for me. I don't see me wearing it a lot so I'll trade it to someone who -will-.

I don't know why, but this one is very light on me... I almost bought a big bottle because I liked the name and ingredients but it is not happy with my body chemistry. I can barely smell this anymore . I really have to whiff at my wrist to smell it. I'm dissapointed as I really and truly thought I would love it.

I experienced the same thing as Nadirah. Within five minutes of putting this on, I couldn't smell anything, even sniffing my skin directly where I put this on, and I wasn't skimpy in my application. I was so looking forward to this one because it smells so good in the imp. :P

Initial sniff: Umm...I'm not really sure about this one. It's got that hippie/occult shop note, I think it's patchouli (or something similar) but it's been so long since I've sniffed it I can't be sure.

Swipe: More notes begin coming out, the sharpish hippie scent is a little brighter, but thankfully not the only one present.

10-15 min. later: Hmm...I must admit, I was fully prepared to dislike this scent (despite wanting ever to desperately to have a pirate scent love me). But the sandlewood coming out strongly and kicking the hippie note in the nuts is wonderful! I really do love sandlewood (even though I'm sure I'm spelling it wrong now).

At first I couldn't smell any of the "sea" in this one, just warm sandlewood and a touch of what I thought was something creamy hinted with citrus (it was one of those things that's in the back of the sniff and it's hard to be sure). After sniffing my arm again, while typing, I smell the salty sea deck!!! :D :P

Final thoughts (tee hee hee, totally reminded of jerry springer): I love this!!! It's so damn hard for me to find "warm, skin" scents that remind me strongly of dirty hippies or occult shops (Yep, I can associate lemon notes with something other than cleaner, namely candy; but I cannot help but to think "hippie/occult shop" for certain scents or scent catergories). But this...this is good. Tushnamatay shares the same sandlewood to it, only sweeter. Thankfully I do not associate sandlewood with dirty hippies or occult shops, just niceness. Seriously, the smell of salty sea deck does it for me. I need a bigger bottle. :D

i received this imp in a swap with velvet. . . i am sorry it didn't work for her, but on me it is pure heaven! :P

this is pure woody comfort. and it doesn't change much on me through its wearing.

it starts out cedar and sandlewood and amber. .. . with just a touch of spice. it is warm and comforting. oddly enough, i don't get any tough girl vibes. i get hibernation vibes.

as it dries, the cedar backs off a bit, but overall the scent is still strong. i'm thinking maybe what i thought was cedar was patchulli, but it is not hippy patchulli on me. . .it is something fresher.

later, damn! this scent lasts! it fills up my lungs when i smell it. it makes me feel like i am wrapped in a warm blanket (even though i wasn't cold to begin with) and protected. still, the sandalwood and amber at the forefront. and a bit spicy, but i can't place the scent.

i am LOVING this oil!!!! i will purchase a big bottle. . . it might have bumped aureus off the "to buy immediately" list. . .

well, i've tried 3 out of my 14 imps so far, and this is the only one that worked - and even it wasn't quite what i was expecting!

i got slightly sweet incense out of this. it wasn't the sort of harsh incense you get when it's just been burned or when a lot of sticks are uncovered in a store. it was the sort of scent you get from oriental junk shops - the stores that sell chests and boxes and knickknacks from places along the silk road. it was the smell of things that have been near incense for a very long time and still carry the warm residue. i don't have a good enough nose to tell frankincense from amber from patchouli from sandalwood, but i do have a good enough nose to tell that i like this scent.

given the pirate thing, i was hoping for a lot more salt sea out of this one - it smelled very land-based to me. not quite desert, but definitely no water involved. maybe i'll be able to find a good water scent and layer.

edited to add: in further tests, i do get a bit of salt sea. it smells like driftwood that's dried out in the sun.

Edited by shadowsong

It is a nice scent, but doesn't remind me of pirates, it reminds me more of hippies in a church. :P

The notes all go good together, but in my college days I used so much of the notes in it either alone or together, that I am looking for something different and this isn't it.

Recommended for those who love patchouli, but not Hello Patchouli! since the other notes blend with the patchouli nicely.

resimous blended perfection

frankensince is the loudest on me w/ a hint of patchouli and a base of sandalwood. if you like resis you will love this one. and yes the perfect female pirate blend simply beautiful

Yeap--incense and salt water! I had been hoping for something breezy though...this doesn't remind me of the sea at all (not like Jolly Roger). I have heard that Anne Bonny improves with age, and I just swapped away my lab-fresh imp, so I may end up trying for an aged imp someday...

EDIT: I just aged a new imp...the red sandalwood mellows with age, and the slightly sweet patchouli pops out =) very nice!

Edited by joseybird

When I first put it on, it smelled very woodsy and cool. But as it dried on me, it became a very dry scent. It was a hot day, and I could almost not stand it, it smelled so dry. I felt really dehydrated for the rest of the day, which was probably a psychosamatic reaction.

I think a great place to wear this would be in or near the actual ocean, a pool, or in the rain. Perhaps water surrounding you would enhance the oil's dry tinder scent.

I'll try to mix this with one of the aqua scents and see what happens.

Edited by jett perilous

Anne Bonny:

Overall this is a soft, sweet spicy scent.

Unfortunately for me, the patchouli just takes over on my skin and I don't care for patchouli.

Anne Bonny

I LOVE this scent. I got the red indonesian patchouli right away, which is definintely different than normal patchouli. It wasn't at all overwhelming on me. It was very heady and potent, mixed with the sandalwood and frankincense it was devine. It had an amazing throw on me and lasted all of the afternoon quite strongly.

This is by far my favorite so far. It smells very exotic and yummy. The next day while trying a different oil I sat down on the couch where I happened to have sat the day before wearing Anne Bonny and caught a whiff of it from the pillows. I frantically attempted to find where exactly the scent was coming from so I could just sniff it until it went away.

Yes, perhaps I am nuts and need help with this addiction :P , but Anne Bonny is definitely worth it!!

At first this smelled like other BPAL churchy/woody scents to me - I expect because of the frankincense, which has always drowned out all other notes on me. Then, surprisingly, a hot peppery note came through which saved it. I got the pirate assocation after that, though like others I somehow expected a salt water note that wasn't there - which I actually think is good. I don't think I would wear this just for the scent of it, but rather, when I wanted to feel kick-ass and adventurous.

i like the way frankincense smells on me and it's very strong here. dry and incense-y, this is like a more spicy, sweet version of cathedral. it smells like a church, but at the same time it smells like a treasure chest full of spices from some exotic location. one of the sexiest bpal scents i've tried.

Edited by tinyvulture

The description is accurate in terms of notes but I don't get the sea-salt aspect.

For me this is a woody, spicy and slightly sweet oil with good lasting power and reasonable throw.

Love it in the bottle, love it on skin, love it when it has dried down.

This goes on the big bottle wish list.

edited to add:

I know I appear obsessed with staying power, but you have to say something positive for an oil that I can still faintly smell 11 hours later even after my having:

* cleaned two saddles, two bridles and a martingale

* driven for 3 hours

* done two loads of washing

* fed horses

* blanketted said horses

* cooked dinner

* had an apres dinner drink

Bravo Anne Bonny. You long wearing pirate, you.

Edited by Janie

Delicious. Just delicious. Anne Bonny has made me her bitch, and I'm thrilled. I'm a big fan of the resin-y/patchouli/woody smells, and this is the perfect blend of them for me. It smells like sun-warmed wood, sweet spices, and salt spray. Fantastic! A big bottle will be in my next order, for sure.

I love the idea of wearing a scent named after a female pirate.

On me, Anne Bonny is a very calming, centering scent, yet powerful as well. It is the perfect scent equivalent of Teddy Rosevelt's saying "Speak softly but carry a big stick."

The patchouli and sandlewood blend together nicely into an earthy, dry scent that feels good to wear, if that makes any sense. It reminds me a lot of The Coiled Serpent. A gem!

Patchouli and sandalwood are quite strong when this one is wet.

Dry it's softer and a bit woody.

I like it, but I'm surprised about how true the notes have been once in my skin... no change at all from the vial! :P

ETA: The lovely lab sent me an imp of this, thank you very much!

Edited by quimerula

This reminds me of Velvet...my bottle Velvet, the one that doesn't smell a damn bit like my imp and is all myrrh-iffic. Except I actually like this better. It's all salty, weathered woods and spice. I definitely smell the sandalwood and frankincense, and to a lesser extent the patchouli. I'm not going to buy a bottle but I always figured this scent would be a total stinker on me- not so.