Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
foundmyhappyplace

Love a Victoria's Secret fragrance? Looking for a BPAL cousin to it?

Vanilla oriental sounds like Snake Oil to me.

I'm a big vanilla fan, and I do love Antique Lace, which is warm comfort sexy vanilla goodness.

Eat Me is cakey vanilla goodness. It was too overwhelmingly baked goods the first time I tried it, but I've come to enjoy it.

Black Opal is vanilla plus delicious (but not foody). It reminds me a great deal of a perfume called Shalimar (though Haunted also brings Shalimar to mind, so maybe I have a strange nose). And Shalimar might be considered a floral/vanilla/oriental sort of thing.

Golden Priapus is vanilla plus piney stuff and who knows what else. Supposedly a guy's scent, but it seems to me gender neutral (or gender wonderful) despite the name. Maybe you need to get an imp to try on your bf, instead of for your bf?

Thanks for the guidance.. I think I am going to try either Antique Lace or Snake Oil, for myself. I told my boyfriend he gets nothing ordered for him specifically the first time, unless something I get smells mannish on me, then he has to try it :P

Who knows what I will actually end up with though, I am giving a list of the scents that really really intrigue me now, and giving that to my mum, who is then going to somehow pick the few that I will get in my imp sampler so.. I may suggest to her very strongly to make sure Antique Lace or Snake Oil is included.

Thanks again! :D

I've never smelled the VS scent, but for vanilla florals, I must recommend Euphrosyne and, particularly in this case, Regan.

I also second Dorian, Snake Oil, Antique Lace, and Black Opal.

I have VSDAH, have tried over three hundred BPAL's and here's my two scents: I agree with Dorian (wholeheartedly) and with Black Opal (with some reservation). I cannot agree with other recommendations made, such as Snake Oil and Antique Lace, for the following reason: VSDAH is vanillic and powdery, but it also has a fresh component that SO and AL lack.

IMO the BPAL scent that is the most similar to VSDAH is Kether (one of the Sephiroth).

From my experience, nothing BPAL smells like Heavenly. Just buy more of it. I guess I'd have to agree with others on Black Opal being maybe vaguely somewhat like it. Very elegant and a little powdery. Snake Oil doesn't really resemble it, but it's a good staple in any person's BPAL collection.

BPAL is great! :P I haven't tried many... but reading all these reviews and browsing just gets me all excited!

I've had lots of recommendations for "ocean" and "natural" scents from my intro-newbie post, but... I wanted a specific recommendation~

has anyone ever smelled Victoria Secret's "Love Spell"??? It is truly an awesome scent... and I was wondering... are there scents on BPAL like Love Spell?

Dinerdulcinea was kind enough to post the ingredients to Love Spell ^^ It is like...

cherry blossom, muguet, georgia peach, red apple, with hints of tamarind and blondewood

SO~ I'm asking, does anyone have recommendations for scents with these ingredients? =3 I have no clue where to start... so I would love some help! =D Any recommendations along this line? Doesn't have to be the same (since I do want to try variations, or else I would just wear Love Spell, lol)!

Thank you!

Edited by ivyandpeony
tweaked title to clarify a bit

I remember trying Love Spell once and it reminded me of grape juice (not in a bad way). Lady Macbeth is pretty close in feeling, possibly a bit more grown up, it reminded me of grape bubblegum (until my nose grew up, now it's just yummy berries and wine). You might want to give it a try.

Edited by fatalbellydance

I don't know whether this is what you are asking but if you are looking for a dupe, lots of etailers make Love Spell-type fragrances. BPAL doesn't make brand name perfume imitations, as far as I know, but I think if you like Love Spell, you will also like BPAL's The Hanging Gardens. Both are very fruity (but I think BPAL's The Hanging Gardens is better take on fruity than VS's Love Spell though).

I can't help you with a similar scent, but just so you know, there's a thread about bpals that resemble other perfumes here. It has lots and lots of pages, so I'd use the search function to see if love spell has come up in that thread before.

Also, since you know the particular notes in love spell, that makes it a lot easier to hunt down similar bpal blends. You can search the BPAL catalog itself for those notes. I know there are several scents that contain cherry blossom, so you might have some luck. I don't know if any of them have peach, but you could layer a scent such as Fae (which is peachy, iirc).

If you see some scents that look like they might be similar, check out the forum reviews. They'll help you get a better idea of how the scents smell when you wear them. :P

Ok.. First off, Love Spell smells like grape soda on me, but not in a bad way....I would recommend Temple Viper from the BPAL Carnival Diabolique for that.

Second, for those of you that like VS Vanilla Lace, BPAL's Dorian dries down to an almost identical scent.

Third, my favorite VS scent EVER was Tranquil Breezes. After it came out, Bath & Body Works came out with cucumber melon which I hated and still do (sorry to those of you that dig it, I just hate it blah). So, I wouldn't want anything that smelled plasticky or too sweet, but I would be interested in trying a BPAL that reminds someone of VS Tranquil Breezes. I can't seem to find a listing of the notes in it, but it's mainly cucumber, with a hint of light florals and maybe a bit of melon but not ick cloying melon, like watery fresh melon.

I tried BPAL Squirting Cucumber, which was okaaay, but not my fave.

Any suggestions?

Ok.. First off, Love Spell smells like grape soda on me, but not in a bad way....I would recommend Temple Viper from the BPAL Carnival Diabolique for that.

Second, for those of you that like VS Vanilla Lace, BPAL's Dorian dries down to an almost identical scent.

Third, my favorite VS scent EVER was Tranquil Breezes. After it came out, Bath & Body Works came out with cucumber melon which I hated and still do (sorry to those of you that dig it, I just hate it blah). So, I wouldn't want anything that smelled plasticky or too sweet, but I would be interested in trying a BPAL that reminds someone of VS Tranquil Breezes. I can't seem to find a listing of the notes in it, but it's mainly cucumber, with a hint of light florals and maybe a bit of melon but not ick cloying melon, like watery fresh melon.

I tried BPAL Squirting Cucumber, which was okaaay, but not my fave.

Any suggestions?

I just received my bottle of Green Phoenix from the Lab last week, and it's the closest to Tranquil Breezes that I've found. And if you remember Her Majesty's Rose from the same line and are missing her...you need to try Peacock Queen for that one. :P

Heavenly smells a lot like Haloes, IMHO.

Heavenly: Top notes: quince, cardamon, wild ivy, mandarin. Middle notes: waterlily, white peony, freesia, iris, violet, poppy. Low notes: white musk, sandalwood, orchid vanilla

Haloes: Oak, tonka, vanilla, white sandalwood, lily of the valley, white ginger, amber, and apricot.

I work at VS and the only similarities I've drawn are Vanilla Lace with Antique Lace and Body By Victoria with 51. I can't think of anything else smelling at all similar to any BPAL oils, and I've smelled all of VS's perfumes a hundred times over since I often get stuck in the beauty room filling in the products. Getting sick of VS's perfumes is one reason why I was eager to try BPAL and now wear it to work when I'm supposed to be wearing their stuff, hehe. :P Of course, I haven't tried a whole lot of BPAL yet, but so far I can't think of anything at all similar to Love Spell or Heavenly.

Ugh I don't think Dorian smells at all like Vanilla Lace. I adore vanilla lace--it smells like cake batter to me. It's delightful. The musk in Dorian is all wrong for VL in my opinion.

I love Victoria's Secret Azurine- long discontunued.

I've been getting it from eBay, and it's getting rarer to find.

Imagine my deeeeelight when I opened my imp of Loralei- it is very very very close to identical!

Or as my dear old Dad would have said: "It's as near as dammit."

:) :D :D :P

Edited by seashell

Ugh I don't think Dorian smells at all like Vanilla Lace. I adore vanilla lace--it smells like cake batter to me. It's delightful. The musk in Dorian is all wrong for VL in my opinion.

Agreed that Dorian and Vanilla Lace don't smell similar. Vanilla Lace smells like warm, thick vanilla icing. Dorian smells like.. well, I can't pin it down. I've always just said Dorian smells like hot sex.. lol

I agree with everyone's assessment of Tranquil Breezes. That was one of my favorites and I found Green Phoenix to be a wonderful BPAL replacement. It is a closer match than B&BW's Cucumber Melon ever was.

I agree with everyone's assessment of Tranquil Breezes. That was one of my favorites and I found Green Phoenix to be a wonderful BPAL replacement. It is a closer match than B&BW's Cucumber Melon ever was.

I have since found that Titania, Squirting Cucumber, and Green Phoenix is a fun Tranquil-breezes-esque combination. Nothing beats the original though....glad I've got a half-bottle of the cologne spray : -D

I'm thinking Earth Rat and Green Phoenix layered may be even closer to Tranquil Breezes than just Green Phoenix, since I got a lot of melon from Earth Rat - I'll try that sometime soon. I was cleaning out a drawer in my vanity last night and found a half bottle of Tranquil Breezes something... a splash of some kind, so now I actually have something to compare to!