Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Nadirah

Nyx

Named in honor of the primeval Greek Goddess of Night. A scent reflecting inky black skies and eternal desolation. Night-blooming jasmine, warmed by myrrh, lifted by the promise of rose.

I received this as a lab frimp.

In the vial, Nyx smells like JASMINE.  In all caps.  Wet on skin, I detect jasmine still and I could swear that there's some kind of citrus fruit far in the background?  This may just be an aspect of jasmine.

Hours later, it turns into pure incense.  Rose never showed up.  This oil lasts forever.  I don't think it's very "me," however I got a bit of it on my sweater and find that it smells nicer on the sweater than it does on my skin.  This to me suggests that it is probably better as a locket scent.

Edited by Laughing Seagull

This was a frimp from the lab with one of my purchases. So glad I was sent it else I wouldn't have selected it for myself. I'm not very big on florals feeling that they're often too strong for my taste or find them too artificially smelling.  With typically any jasmine note my nose perceiving it as astringent rather than pleasant sadly 😕 . When I first tried Nyx this was the case too however after letting it age the jasmine began to get a bit more subtle, the rose began to show itself more with the touch of myrrh giving it just that little something to round off the entire scent. I can smell all three notes clearly with each scent coming in as layers, instead of combining. 

The one-two punch of superstrong jasmine combined with rose, which I tend to amp. The effect is... large. Mostly jasmine. Jasmine fans, line up here.

I will say Nyx grew on me a lot once it was dry. The jasmine eased up, and it turned into a pretty, floral incense. Not worth the early stages for me, but fairly nice in the end.

Fresh Imp from the lab: Oh boy Jasmine. This smells like walking through a field of pure jasmine under the moonlight, it's so strong it almost smells like a single note accord of night-blooming jasmine, and can't be mistaken for anything else. There is a slightest, tiniest hint of something plastic-like in the background tempering the sweet dewy scent of jasmine just a tad. Sadly within ten minutes it turns to straight floral soap on me. I never do get the rose but I wonder if the myrrh is the "slightly plastic note" bringing down the dewy nectar of pure jasmine. 

Lab fresh frimp! Wet on my skin, it's a juicy burst of jasmine. It quickly dries into something... drier? That must be the myrrh. I'm still learning myrrh. It's so hard for me to put my finger on it, no matter how many times I've come across it in blends. But that has to be what's going on here, since jasmine and rose are so easily identified. As it dries down further, the rose becomes more apparent, and I'm just not a fan of BPAL's rose note, so that's a shame. Passing this along though it is nice initially.

Dusty, feminine, beautiful.

This isn't too complicated and that really works. 

If you wanted something to wear for Valentine's day but you want something a little cheaper than anything in the limited edition Lupercalia releases, this is the general catalogue that you want!

But do you know my favourite thing about this? It smells very, VERY similar to THE POINSETTIA GOWN (at least on my skin). It was my first ever BPAL and oh, I miss it so! 😢 

This imp took me on quite a journey - I don't think any other scents I've tried have had such significant changes during the drydown on my skin, except maybe Assassin. I see that I went back to my notebook several times across the day when I was wearing this one to add more notes.

Wet: Oooh, finally something quite feminine and floral that still feels like it might fit me. It’s definitely on the sweet end of the spectrum, but it has enough warmth and sharpness to bring it together into something comfortable. Reminds me of a misty spring evening in a garden.

Dry: Dries smelling mostly like baby powder - not much throw to it, so it's not overwhelming, but it is a lot less appealing. After a day of wear, I have very mixed impressions because of how promising it started - but I'm mostly settling on "meh".

i’m testing a frimp i received. nyx is super strong and super perfumey. freshly applied i thought this seemed like a green floral at first. i’m strongly reminded of the lab’s daffodil note which comes across to me as green in a perfumey way, like not grassy or herbal but sweet green floral.

upon checking the note list i can see it’s jasmine coming out loud and proud out of the gates. def agree with some of the other reviews that it’s like an elevated jasmine. the rose seems to be adding some sweetness without being identifiable to me as a note on its own. the myrrh seems to come out more into the drydown, taking this from the jasmine show to a sweet, powdery, floral tinted department store perfume.

throw is strong af. i swiped the imp stick twice across my wrist and distributed that to my other wrist. even with that amount it was basically all i could smell the first half hour. in a like “what is that smell? oh damn it’s me!🖤” kind of way

Nyx is one of the darker oils, almost black, which is so fitting for the Goddess of Night. Heady jasmine comes swinging, and it is glorious... until a less favorable floral comes stomping along. It's rose. They fight to the death, and the unfortunate victor is rose. While the rose is less preferable, the resulting rose-myrrh combination is quite nice. I just miss my jasmine!

This oozes femininity, I can see this working well on a blunt, confident woman who might have a tendency to be overbearing. Femdom vibes.