Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Nadirah

Nyx

Named in honor of the primeval Greek Goddess of Night. A scent reflecting inky black skies and eternal desolation. Night-blooming jasmine, warmed by myrrh, lifted by the promise of rose.

GAAAH.

Jasmine. All over. It even dominates over the rose.

AIIIEEEE. *runs and hides from wrist*

Wet: Hello, Minotaur!!!!! A GC version of Minotaur is a happy discovery indeed!

Dry: Oh, crud. This is another frimp that I didn't look the notes up before trying. There is rose in this and on any normal person, I'm sure it's a beautiful floral note behind the sexiest of myrrhs. On me though, it's overpowering, spoiled rose. No myrrh. No jasmine.

If you liked Minotaur, you should try this. I imagine that the rose makes this a feminine/softer version of Minotaur. I am so jealous of all of you that can wear rose. *pouts*

In the imp: Cool jasmine and soft rose, with a distinct undertone of myrrh. It's similar to Wicked, but the different variety of jasmine makes this softer, not villainous or calculating. It's still an elegant, feminine perfume, though.

On, wet: Jasmine city, which is not a bad thing for me. It smells much fresher than in the imp, heady and sweet with an almost citrusy aspect. The rose and myrrh are very faint right now, though, and as much as I like jasmine, I'm hoping for more complexity. As it is, this is almost single-note jasmine.

On, dry: The rose and myrrh woke up on the dry down, so now it's a pleasant, soft floral balance of the three. Rose and jasmine are on top with myrrh beneath, giving this a darker feel. The rose is very and powdery, and when I say "powdery," I don't mean that it's like baby powder, but that it's quite dry and almost dusty to me, like dried rosebuds rather than lush, fresh petals. Maybe that's the "eternal desolation" aspect.

Later: Mostly rose, with some sweet jasmine. The myrrh is faint, but still present. It's still a very stately, womanly scent. I keep picturing a beautiful woman at night, wearing a dark and flowing black cloak.

Overall: A nice floral blend darkened by a constant undertone of myrrh, quite elegant and very feminine. It's also well balanced overall, especially considering that both rose and jasmine can be strong presences. I think the real success here is due to the myrrh, which is an accent, but strong enough to transform this blend into something more than the sum of its parts. It gives this a mysterious vibe, and it prevents the jasmine and rose from running away with the sweetness. Still, I don't think I'd recommend this one to jasmine-haters.

Duel of the arm eating notes! Myrrh LOVES my skin but I don't really return the affection...

Imp: Jasmine

Wet: Jasmine. I like Jasmine. It smells like candy on me. How is it that Jasmine is beating out these heavy hitter notes.

Drydown: I had no idea jasmine could put such a beatdown on other notes, but here it is. A jasmine single note.

Overall: For my jasmine purposes, I have the much more complex Melisande already. But it was kinda neat to see Rose and Myrrh get knocked down by a teeny flower

Edited by Shollin
edited out double post --Shollin

I got frimped this by the lab and the first time I tried it on I thought it was interesting and quite complex. The myrrh gives it a lot of depth and it's not normally the kind of scent I go for (I normally stick with girly, feminine and light).

I wore it again though and I had to go wash it off because my mother could smell it across the room whilst she was eating and said it smelt like the car and was making her sick. After she mentioned it, I did notice it smelt a quite a lot like petrol/gas.

2/5 I don't think I'll be wearing it again now.

In bottle: This is pretty much as described. The three notes are distinct in the bottle. The rose is soft enough to let the other two elements take the lead. I’m not sure jazmine and myrrh are a good pairing. Wet: Typical rose/jazmine blend with a hint of myrrh. The myrrh does work better on skin, I think because when warmed the whole blend smoothes out. Dry: Jazmine

Slinky jasmine...this just reeks of a hot southern summer's night with the window open and a gentle humid breeze blowing in the fragrance of blooming jasmine flowers just outside. It's not me at all, but it's oh so nice!

Somehow I managed to forget that this had jasmine, and my skin hates jasmine (or loves it too much, depending on how you look at it). But as I was cursing myself, after a few minutes it changed, became, dare I say it? Wearable. Myrrh saves the day!

Once dry, it was a beautiful (tamed) floral. I love the smell of fresh jasmine, just can't stand the oil on my skin, but this blend is quite nice. I didn't get any distinct rose, just myrrh cracking a gentle whip over the tempestuous flowers.

No bottle in my future, but I will find uses for this imp.

Right out of the imp all I was really getting was a resin-like smell, but as soon as I put it on all of a sudden "HELLO FLORAL". I can't even smell anything beyond the flowers.

It's a little too strong for me as florals tend to give me headaches, but if you're into florals you might want to give this a sniff.

Ha! Rose was defeated by myrrh!

Sadly, I hate myrrh.

All I can smell is myrrh, with light jasmine in the background.

When first applied, it's such almost a fruity sweet jasmine rose, with a smokey essence wafting around, and it smells sooooo nice...

...but then... as I huff.. I pick up that harsh myrrh note. Frankincense and I barely get along as it is, but myrrh? Not so much.

When I'm not sniffing at my wrist, it's very beautiful (mainly because I can't pick up the myrrh) and I love it.

I'd just have to refrain from huffing my self when I wear it, because I do love it at a distance!

Ah, rose...a note that just hates me, and tends to amplify on my skin in an awful sort of way. I can smell nothing in this blend but rose--overpowering, sickly sweet, rotten rose. *sigh* I so wanted to be able to wear this, but I am once again defeated by my old enemy. :sad:

for jasmine lovers only!

i find that a lot of the lab’s earlier jasmine blends don’t smell that great on me. i don’t know why i have better luck with newer ones. nyx is pretty much all jasmine on me, and kind of smells like nail polish remover. the myrrh and rose are noticeable but faint. it’s giving me a headache after only a couple minutes. sorry, nyx, but it’s off to the swaps pile for you.

in the imp: I've smelled this before, a long time ago...

wet: I now know this is jasmine and something else. Something just slightly bitter tasting, must be the myrrh. And I can taste rose stems.

dry: delicious. rich and warm. It rotates in waves between the jasmine and the woody but it isn't really floral as such. It holds a nice long time without being overpowering.

I love this. Deeply and a bottle will be in the next order.

In the Imp: heavy on the jasmine

Wet on Skin: floral, soapy

While Drying: This reminds me of the basket of multi-scented decorative soaps my Grandmother kept in her bathroom.

After a Little While: occasional hint of myrrh beneath the florals

Final Thoughts: another floral that doesn't work with my skin

Nyx earns a 2/5

GAH! Did I get a bad batch or is my imp maybe too aged or not aged enough....I dunno but this smells pungent to me. I opened the vial and immediately had such a throbbing headache I was almost sick to my stomach. :eek: No good on this one. It seems to work for many others so maybe I am just sensitive to something in it...who knows? All I know is this isn't for me.

In the frimp, this is smelling pretty similar to Wicked, which was a spectacular failure on me. Doesn't give me much hope for this, but the hell with it, might as well try it. On my skin, it's pretty much myrrh, with maybe the florals lurking underneath. And pretty much the exact same as Wicked. May as well try and see how it goes. And yep, it's pretty much Wicked again.

Edited by Venneh

I think I have painfully come to realize that jasmine in large doses is not my friend. After trying to root out what made Bayou and New Orleans turn to cat pee on me, this is the only logical conclusion. This one, too, unfortunately takes on the cat pee tinge. Even in blends that don't work on me, I can understand the artistry of Beth's interpretation, but the fact that my skin won't cooperate is nobody's fault.

On the skin: Wow! A lovely, sweet, feminine perfume! Definitely floral, but there is something else here (the myrrh?) that gives this perfume DEPTH! Soooooo lovely and intoxicating! It can be a bit strong, so I would suggest dabbing a bit on rather than slathering.

Overall, I really like this one and will need to test it again on its own!

A beautiful and disturbing scent. There's this crazy urge to leap from the branches and snatch up a rat using nothing more than teeth, to swallow it whole, and then hoot maniacally...

Or imagine, perhaps, one of the most beautiful women, wearing a satiny, red evening gown... And then someone whispers that, under a trance, she has the mind of a spider...

Nyx is really quite splendid in the way it blends together amber with night-blooming flowers. The fragrance is unequivocably vespertine and romantic.

On the skin it captures the imagination; filling the mind with fantastical beauty despite a complete and utter absence of light. While this might be somewhat intriguing on a man, a woman was almost certainly the ideal candidate for Nyx. It is sweet and intoxicating enough to make even the most seasoned afficiando swoon.

Here, BPAL clearly demonstrates that it is a force to be reckoned with.WOW!!!

This is a lovely scent. The jasmine is strong in imp and wet, however settles on the drydown. I notice the jasmine in imp, myrrh burst when wet, and the rose comes out in drydown. A lovely melodic morpher! Simple and has good staying power and throw. Turns a little sweet on me when dry. Mmmm.

Edited by SophieCedar

Oh God, I absolutely hated this. To be fair, if you love jasmine, this is for you. As a jasmine hater, this almost killed me. It's a very good jasmine scent, don't get me wrong, but if you hate jasmine, it doesn't matter how good a scent it is.

I didn't skin test it, but whilst sniffing the imp some got on my hands and wouldn't come off even with soap.

There's some strong throw and scent here.

I didn't get any notes aside from screaming jasmine here.

Clearly not for me, but I gave it to my mom and she likes it.

I'm a rose fan, so this looked promising. When I put it on though, it's mostly the rose with some of the jasmine mixed in. If you like those florals, give this one a chance. For me, though, I think I've become so spoiled with Beth's other rose scents that now this one doesn't seem that special. It's very pretty and feminine and if you like florals with rose, you'll like this one.

More proof that jasmine does NOT work on my skin. The jasmine does calm down once it dries and morphs into a rose and myrrh combo, but the initial jasmine smell is just too strong, for me. If jasmine works for you and you're interested in the other two notes, it's worth a try if you're looking for an everyday scent, though.

Jasmine, myrrh, and rose are definitely not my notes but I wanted to try this anyway (trying to make myself like florals :P.) The myrrh is very strong in the bottle, as is the rose. On my skin, the jasmine becomes a little more evident but the myrrh and rose remain. As with most resinous scents, this has a far throw and it lingered on my skinfor many hours.

Sadly, I don't think I can bring myself to like this. :( Nyx will be relocated to a new home as soon as possible.