Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
astrid

Proserpina Bath Oil

For thine came pale and a maiden, and sister to sorrow; but ours,
Her deep hair heavily laden with odour and colour of flowers,
White rose of the rose-white water, a silver splendour, a flame,
Bent down unto us that besought her, and earth grew sweet with her name.

The emergence of light in darkness.

Frozen pomegranate and a hint of nocturnal blossoms.

How come no one has reviewed this yet? Surely, it has been a good seller since it is an incredibly pretty bath oil! Maybe everyone is still stuck in their tubs, unable to write reviews?

To me, Proserpina is very pomegranate in the bottle, but a little less so once in the tub and blending with the other ingredients. It's a little wintery (the frozen quality) in that there is the faintest, faintest hint at pine (similar to Snow White... it is there or is it not there?) and even the 'nocturnal blossoms' seem to share similarities to Snow White. My bathroom smells heavenly afterwards, my skin might keep a tiny bit of the fragrance with it, but not much after the bath. It blends great with any other fruit or spice bath item you might be using as well or with a cream or perfume after your soak.

So lovely!! Edited by Shollin

I find the pomegranate to be the biggest element and to a certain extent, it's biggest detractor. It is very much pomegranate and with a hint of frozen flowers, but it's so pom and so in your face, I find it a little off putting.

As for moisturizing, great moisturization and about the same throw for most of the BPTP bath oils.

Proserpina

In vial: oh, this is pretty. It’s like Winter Maiden, but crisper and less sweet.

On skin: oh, I love this. This has the same pomegranate note that Mme Moriarty has! And I love that! This is, however, a lot lighter and sharper, a lot crisper in feel, like a frozen pom. It doesn’t have the heavy musk and patch of Mme. The scent also now seems to have an icy, crystalline juniper note to it, as well as a backing of fresh clean flowers and a hint of something Winter Maiden-ish. For a while the pom-juniper reminds me of Swank, it’s a bit boozy, but this is so much better than Swank on me-it doesn’t have that fake-smelling sweetness to it. This is much more sophisticated. It smells perfumey, in the best way possible. Eventually this turns to a lovely Mme Moriarty-style tart pomegranate with cool, icy juniper on top and a hint of floral perfume. It’s a very wintry yet also quite classy pom scent. I really like this one as a skin scent, it’s the kind of scent I wanted Swank to be. The flowers also don’t go all soapy-in fact, they are so subtle, I hardly smell them, other than a hint of something snowy and perfumey (the flowers in here are more like the Macabray than Snow White, if I was to compare them). I may have to track down a little more of this one! :heart:

Upon opening the bottle and sniffing, I was absolutely convinced this was Winter Maiden. I received this from a decant circle, and I thought, "hm.. there must be a mix-up." Then I read the above reviews. My nose recognizes no pomegranate, or any fruit for that matter. It's all mellow night-blooming flowers with a faint pine scent.

I love Winter Maiden, so I don't mind the similarity, but I also really love pomegranate :(

I adore the BPTP bath oils though. They're quite thin, super moisturizing, but not at all greasy. They leave the bathroom nicely scented long after the bath.

I don't tend to like pomegranate fragrances. Pom is usually too tart and/or powdery for my tastes. It usually reminds me of sweet tarts candies. So, to my surprise, I really like Proserpina. It smells a lot like Skadi in the bath & on my skin afterwards. I definitely smell some frosty pine & snow note in this. And the pomegranate smells like juicy, frosty berries. I don't get any floral.

I'll definitely use up my decant of this, and might have to buy a full bottle if it's ever up for sale again.

Mm, pomegranate with... cold spices? is that an oxymoron? And maybe some white florals and a little pine. It's a very light scent, actually, and the pomegranate is not tart or overpowering to me. Very nice. :D

Wet, this is icy, tart fruit. As it dries, a warm fungus notes emerges, (but the other notes do dominate) :ack: I think maybe the pomegranate is the factor that is doing this to me, (as I have problems with other oils). Otherwise, this is very lovely, and it is a great moisturizer.

I love this. Do you hear me? LOVE THIS.

For me, the pomegranate is not overpowering, but rather soft and lovely. There is a definitely backing of pine and the "minty" snow note (as opposed to the coconut/plastic one of Snow White). It is a crystalline scent and very beautiful.

If I put this on directly after a shower (as I used it with moisturizer as well), it sticks with me for at least 1/2 of the day.

I wish this was a GC BPAL oil, instead of the rose/pomegranate Persephone oil they have. The scent is lovely. The frozen pomegranate is a more sharp than sweet fruit with a snowy yet not creamy note. The flowers add to its beauty. It's a rich scent, fit for the Queen of Hades.

I'd seriously buy a bottle of this if I could get this in a regular perfume oil. It is close to Ice Queen in nature, but truly is its own thing.

I can't use this as a bath oil sadly, because our bathtub really gets tacky easily if I use even a few drops of oil in it. If I do, then I am cleaning the bathtub out for an hour after I am done. It's really not worth the effort.

Edited by Madame Nyx

Got a decant of this, eager to test it out. In the imp, I'm getting an icy pomegranate note, maybe a bit of flowers underneath. On my skin, it's a really nice pomegranate floral, similar to Persephone. Hmmm. This would be nice to moisturize with, going to see if I can find a bottle. If not, I'll wait till next winter for it to come around again.

Edited by Venneh

Trying this out as a skin moisturizer. It's a very pink smell, fruity and floral -- I have strong "girly" associations with this type of odor. I'm not sure it's my kind of pretty, but pretty it definitely is, with just a suggestion of bubblegum sass.

This is the first BPTP bath oil I've tried, a decant from 2008 (dunno if it's been re-released since then or not). I would expect a bath oil to go dull or rancid after a while, but no sign of that here! This is the good stuff.