Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Shollin

Oils to relax, calm, soothe, restore your sanity...

I can completely relate.Anxiety is definitely terrible,I've had social anxiety since elementary school,I recently had an episode of generalized anxiety disorder this past year which lasted about a year and was truly terrible.But don't feel bad,it is not a pleasant thing to endure,but be it that it does make you stronger,remember that.I've come out of it now,and am mentally trying to ween myself away from anxiety,realize it is not as bad as it seems,whatever it is and close your eyes,and take a deep breath.

As for bpals,I'm not sure which would be the most helpful,I would reccomend the panacea's even though I've not tried them they are formulated for this specific reason.Lavender is a relaxant,chamomile is a relaxant,valerian is a relaxant but it's very strong(valume is derived from valerian).Hyssop I find relaxing and cleansing,rosemary is relaxing.Lemon,lime,any citrusy scents also raise the spirit and bring joy to you if you're feeling low and anxious.

I also wanted to reccomend bach flower essences,they are excellent!They have a flower essence for many different problems,and you can take them in conjunction they are not lethal or dangerous.I reccomend rescue remedy.It it what I used during my worst episode and it helped me lots.Also sweet chestnut essence ,it calms the mind when thoughts run rampant and you find you can't find calm.

I hope my suggestions help!Best of luck to you :P

I need help picking an oil to wear to work. I've been so unhappy there for so long, and I've tried things like Aunt Caroline's Joy Mojo, but I haven't had much luck that way. I can't leave there, however, not yet - I'm stuck until November at the very earliest. I finally realized this weekend that the problem isn't me - it's just one coworker that makes most of us there miserable. I'm happy to be there, and so very productive when I start my day - until about 5 minutes after she arrives. That's about the point she starts talking and spreading negative energy to all of us. Life improves again when she takes her 2 hour lunch break, but everything goes bad again when she returns. I need some sort of liquid prozac to either (1) help me block her out, (2) be happy anyhow, or (3) keep her from being like she is. Any suggestions? I've got a pretty large collection, so feel free to name various BPALs or TALs.

When things are really bad, nothing beats White Light for me. It sounds like White Light plus some visualization might really help in your situation. There are also other, non-BPAL/TAL things you can do--salt, herbs, a small charged mirror, etc.--I'm sure there's a thread somewhere in Walking the Old Paths about this sort of thing. Whatever you try, I hope it works. Good luck!

Iambe is my "hooray, happiness" scent. If you're looking for something in the voodoo blends, maybe aunt caroline's joy mojo or has no hanna, possibley even Black Cat if it suits you. :P

I can't recommend any particular BPAL scents off the top of my head, but I know, for aromatherapy, citrus scents are mood lifters. So any scents with a lot of cirtus--orange, tangerine, bergamot, etc.--should help keep you in a good mood.

And let me also say, I hope that coworker finds herself a new workplace (far away from you) soon!

That's about the point she starts talking and spreading negative energy to all of us.

in TALs, purpose 1 and 2 sounds like the kind of thing STFU was made for: Silences gossip, slander, and perfidy. Helps you shake off the negative effects of other people’s sniping. Also consider Jinx Removing (Use on the night of the new moon to banish the baneful effects of negativity directed at us on a daily basis: e.g., dirty looks, rude gestures, smarmy remarks. Banishes the residue of everyday F*ck Yous. Use in bath, on self and to dress white candles) and for purpose #3, Euphony (Creates an atmosphere of trust, harmony, compassion and understanding).

Did you know that you actually can get liquid Prozac now? :P (I found out that fun fact as I was planning to discontinue Effexor earlier this summer - some people find it helpful when getting off another SSRI to add Prozac as they are weaning themselves off the other drug, then wean themselves off the Prozac really slowly to avoid any withdrawal symptoms, which is where liquid comes in handy for minute doses.)

Since you don't really want liquid Prozac :D I like the White Light suggestion. I am really fond of White Light for the way it seems to attract positive energy as well as emit a little of its own for you, and because it's one of those TALs you can use on yourself as well as on objects you might want to anoint. I've anointed candles with it, I've worn it as perfume, and I've used it in my car scent-ball air freshener.

I have found that the very most effective antidepressant scent for me is Aglaea. It smells like liquid sunshine, and it has never failed to lift my spirits, no matter how down I've been feeling when I applied it.

More specifically, it smells kind of like bathing in liquid amber while drinking peach wine in an airy sun-drenched room. Fruity and incensey with just a touch of flowers and musk, warm and sunny and glowing. It's sweet but not overly sweet, light but not timid... just all around an awesome mood-lifter.

I'm looking for something for my son. A little background:

He's eleven and has Asperger's and ADHD. He's very smart and sweet and because of the Asperger's, he tends to behave differently from the other children. This was fine when he was younger, but now it's getting him teased. The teasing isn't a huge problem, it's his reaction to the teasing. He becomes very upset-- angry, tearful, anxiety-ridden-- by the teasing and because of this, he is teased more. We're working on how he can deal with the teasing in a more effective way, but in the meantime, I was looking for a scent he could wear that might help calm him. I have Water of Notre Dame, but he'd balk at wearing that. It's far too floral for him.

Any advice?

erraticprophet, I have a 13-year-old son who also has Asperger's and faces many of the same problems your son does. My son has taken comfort in TAL Fiery Wall of Protection. He wears it when he goes out to play with the neighbourhood kids (who tend to bully him) and it really has helped him to fit in and stand his ground.

He has a problem with wearing any kind of "perfume" to school, however, so I got a packet of Fiery Wall of Protection sachet powder from Lucky Mojo and have him put a tiny pinch in the pocket of his school trousers. That's not really the "prescribed use" for the powder, but it seems to help my son and make him feel more confident. It also got him through a 14-hour plane trip with no freakouts or meltdowns (which is a huge feat, believe me!)

Also, TAL's Crucible of Courage might be useful, but I haven't smelled it, so I can't really say if it's floral or not.

Thank you for your recommendations, lilirose. I'd never heard of the Fiery Wall of Protection sachet powder before and really think it's worth a try! Crucible of Courage sounds interesting as well.

I'm dealing with an emotional fallout from a sexual assault. I just want something warm and comforting. Not necessarily happy so much as something that'll make me feel loved and safe. "Jacob's Ladder" used to do that for me but I've used up my bottle. Do you guys have any recommendations? They don't necessarily have to smell like Jacob's Ladder. I'm writing down "White Light" and a few of the Panacea.

Thanks you guys.

Mag Mell feels very peaceful and cleansing to me, like a sweetly golden sunlit meadow and a lot of its ingredients have traditional symbolism of healing/dispelling negativity. If Mag Mell is a little too citrusy for you (lemon verbena seems to be something people either love or hate), Bastet is snuggly nurturing desert warmth.

Mag Mell feels very peaceful and cleansing to me, like a sweetly golden sunlit meadow and a lot of its ingredients have traditional symbolism of healing/dispelling negativity. If Mag Mell is a little too citrusy for you (lemon verbena seems to be something people either love or hate), Bastet is snuggly nurturing desert warmth.

Awesome, I haven't tried either of those. I like lemon, so I think I'm good for both. :P

Thank you!

Seconding the Bastet rec, if you love warm golden amber. When I think of Jacob's Ladder, I think spicy resins and one of my favorites that fits that bill is Hermia. Since it's GC you can pick up an imp easily, it does have some floral notes that JL doesn't but on me it's almost all pink pepper and amber, which is just a delicious combination. I also find The Lion to be a close relative to Jacob's Ladder, at least the way it mixes with my chemistry, so I'd recommend that one too. A little pricier but very lovely and similar in feel is the Salon blend And There Was A Great Cry In Egypt - the notes are dark myrrh, white sandalwood, amber, hyssop, frankincense, honey, cypress, red musk, cardamom and saffron; it's a sweet-spicy resin with lots of depth.

I think White Light is an excellent tool for healing and dispelling negativity, so that's a wise choice for your list.

Best of luck to you on your journey :P

Just a quick note for those whose children have Aspergers or any of the PDD spectrum disorders/sensory problems. I am an OT and I work with children. Just keep in mind that their sensory systems are very sensitive and odors can trigger more stress reactions. With my new interest in BPAL scents I am torn with wanting to wear them to work and knowing full well that some children can't tolerate perfume. It becomes another assault upon their fragile sensory system. I would tend to think that vanilla or lavender would bring calm. Let the child experiment with some of the scents and see what behavior comes about. Remember that the olefactory system goes directly to the brain, unlike the cranial nerves. That's why the sense of smell is so profound..a direct link to the limbic system.

I also am a survivor of childhood sexual abuse and I personally find sandlewood a good grounding scent. When stressed or in need of comfort, I have used Antique Lace and DAn O'Shee the most. I also tried Zephyr and found it calming ...also more appropriate for a male. I am pretty new to BPAL, so I am just in the process of finding scents for myself also that soothe me.

Denise

I have Asperger's, and as a child I had some pretty bad anxiety/social issues; also my sensory hypersensitivities were bad to the extent that they caused me to have an eating disorder and to frequently self-harm (partially from anxiety, but mostly due to tactile sensitivity inducing compulsive scratching to get rid of irritating sensation.) :D I could never tolerate most commercial perfumes, and I still have to walk really quickly with my breath held if I'm heading past perfume counters in a shop. I'm pretty sure it's the alcohol and synthetics in the commercial stuff that causes me trouble, because I'm absolutely fine with the Bpal blends. :D

So far I've found a couple of Bpal scents that have a soothing/calming effect. The first is Wings of Azrael, which has an incredibly profound effect on me. It's comforting and very mentally and sensually soothing: kind of like a sedative without the drowsiness, if that makes any sense. Of the notes in it, I know myrrh, cypress and cajeput are helpful for me; and I like the juniper but don't know whether or not it has therapeutic value.

Midnight Mass is another one that works well for me. It seems to help me to focus and have better control over my thought & behaviour patterns. That's because of the resins. Heavenly Love & Earthly Love, which smells very similar to Midnight Mass, doesn't have the same effect.

Aziraphale has a noticeable grounding/stabilising influence, and is comforting because I can smell it around me like an aura. I guess I'd have to say it feels protective.

I also have a very strong reaction to Frankincense, Myrrh and the incense blends used in churches. They just sort of put me into a meditative state, the sort of meditation that gives you clarity and relaxed awareness. The thing I've found about that is that once you've induced that state, you really need to be in a calm environment; otherwise you risk worse-than-usual reactions to stressors. A frankincense/myrrh/wood blend is better than frankincense on its own because the myrrh and woods ground it.

Tomato leaf, strangely enough, is comforting for me even though I can't eat raw tomatoes. :P

I don't mind lavender as a scent, and obviously it does help skin & sore muscles, so may be fine for physical relaxation, but it doesn't have a relaxing/soothing effect on me mentally. Similarly rose, which I've heard recommended for anxiety, does nothing for me (although again I like the smell). Vanilla is just a nice food flavouring. Benzoin resinoid (smells vanilla-like) is quite grounding.

[Edit: I totally retract the above comment re: rose, since I got an imp of Pride in a swap and omg I now need a bottle. Not want, need. I had a bad episode and went non-verbal for a bit, which really scared me. Immediately I applied that scent it made me cry, which was a good thing as I needed the emotional release before I could get my head working again. I then wore it when I had to go for physio to unlock my muscles, and it soothed me a lot. I can see myself getting through tons of this.]

As a person experiencing life with Asperger's I'd say that while sensory issues can be a real nuisance, they can also enhance your life in some respects if dealt with in the right way. Having more profound reactions to scents than other people can be great if you discover which blends are therapeutic to you and which situations to use them in. Each person is unique in their reactions to any given scent or blend, so trust in your instincts to discover what's right for you.

Best of luck to everybody, I hope you all find your comfort-scents!

:D

Edited by Lumina

I agree- I am also autistic (formal diagnosis of Asperger's, but prefer the former term) as are my two kids- I have a daughter not mentioned in my earlier post who is non-verbal. I love BPAL and so do both of my children, to the point that they gather around to ask for "sniffs" when I get new bottles. My son with AS also has asthma, and commercial perfumes bring on asthma attacks, but BPAL has not been an issue. There are a few notes he can't cope with on a sensory level, but they seem to be the same ones that I, likewise, can't cope with.

I'm not saying everyone on the autistic spectrum would like BPAL, but in general I think it's safer than commercial perfume.

Chiming in with another Aspergers patient here with major anxiety. I take antidepressants which helps greatly *both my mood and my anxiety*. It's gotten worse in the past year because I was diagnosed with IBS, which just makes me more anxious, which makes the IBS worse, and so the whole vicious cycle. I too am sensitive to smells and am hoping to find something BPAL that will help soothe me.

So far, I've found that Antique Lace is a very comforting scent to me; it makes me feel like I'm curled up in bed after just having washed my sheets -- that clean, warm scent.

Bit of a different road for this subject but I was wondering if anyone could recommend me an oil or two to, well, cheer me up? I left home recently for the first time and as much as I'm happy - I miss my mum terribly. I know it sounds daft and at 23, living with my fiancé, I should be fine.. but days (like today) it just hits me like a bag of bricks. Between that and my work life not always being the greatest I just want a scent that'll cheer me up, make me realise it's not so bad and calm my anxiety a little. Anyone?

I'm having sort of the same quarter life crisis, Salem. Just graduated from a small, tightly knit faculty, out in the big, scary world and my company is undergoing restructuring that might have me moving to another country. Life is scary :P

Anyway, because I'm a Stalky McGee I scrolled through some of your posts to see what your tastes are and it looks like we have pretty similar scent preferences. So:

Aunt Caroline's Joy Mojo

It's kind of a "Duh" but it's a really happy, fresh bubblegummy scent and it's just... cheerful. If you're comfortable with the Conjure Bag it has a ton of great pick me up scents and the metaphysical aspects are either great placebos or Beth is one hell of a magician.

Blood Countess

This one just puts a smile on my face. It's a bit darker and more melancholy than Midwinter's Eve, but it's a gorgeous plum over some smokey florals. It makes me feel womanly and pretty and like I can go out and punch life in the face and it would still buy me a drink afterwards.

Lolita

It's sort of glittering and pink in the initial stage and then it dries down to a gorgeous honeysuckle tinged verbena. I'm pretty sure that verbena is considered a natural anti-depressant, so that's a yay.

Queen Alice

This is a bit deeper than the other recommendations, but it's the equivalent of pulling your favourite wooly sweater out of the closet on the first cold day of autumn. Wine and treacle and cider and perhaps a sand note. There's a touch of amber and carnation as well and it's perfectly balanced--warm and cozy without being too foody or floral. Love this one.

Of course, you just need to find one that you associate with a good memory and then you're back in that place every time you put it on. Whatever's going on, just always keep it in perspective and enjoy the good things. Cheers!

Thankyou ever so much, they definitely seem like the scents I'm looking for. Time to scan the for sale section and see if I can get my greedy little hands on something.