Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
olive

dark/thick/sludge-like?

Help me find some oils that are thick and dark like molasses.. so far I only know of Satyr (at least my old stuff - not sure if it has changed) and Boomslang. Any others? Again, I'm referring to physical consistency and not smell.

Thanks

Aged Snake Oil acquires a very heavy consistency. Mine is around nine months old and it's really starting to thiken up.

Heavier, resinous scents are going to be thicker in consistancy. Sloth is pretty heavy and thick as is Malice. The Illustrated Woman is starting to thicken as well and I acquired her in July.

For the most part, if you want something thick and heavy your best bet is to either scour the forums for older bottes of resinous scents or to purchase a few and cellar them for a couple months. Patchouli, vetiver, musks and dragon's blood are going to thicken with time.

My bottle of Saytr is just about ten months old, and it's not thickI'd call its consistency average to thin.

Ivanushka has become remarkably thick, although aging hasn't really affected the scent much. It's still golden in color.

Penny Dreadful has become gloriously thick (my imp is one year old), almost like syrup, and I think it's darkened a smudgeit's now a deep coppery brown. That aging has also made the scent thicker and a bit darker.

Fenris Wolf is average to thick with a deep red tone that's grown darker with age (mine is ten months old).

Heavenly Love and Earthly Love is only (darkish) golden brown, but it's remarkably thick.

And aged Snake Oil of course is very rich, very dark, and very thick.

I agree with Paperrose on resins and musks growing thicker with age. Resins in particular seem pretty dark and thick both new and old.

My bottle of Saytr is just about ten months old, and it's not thick—I'd call its consistency average to thin.

Ivanushka has become remarkably thick, although aging hasn't really affected the scent much. It's still golden in color.

Penny Dreadful has become gloriously thick (my imp is one year old), almost like syrup, and I think it's darkened a smudge—it's now a deep coppery brown. That aging has also made the scent thicker and a bit darker.

Fenris Wolf is average to thick with a deep red tone that's grown darker with age (mine is ten months old).

Heavenly Love and Earthly Love is only (darkish) golden brown, but it's remarkably thick.

And aged Snake Oil of course is very rich, very dark, and very thick.

I agree with Paperrose on resins and musks growing thicker with age. Resins in particular seem pretty dark and thick both new and old.

:P That's my biggest problem with these 'dark red' scents from the lab.. you say your Satyr is average to thin whereas my older imp of it is some of the thickest, slowest moving liquid ever. Also, my first imp of Fenris Wolf was deep dark red and thick but I frimp'd it and ordered another from the lab, only this one was borderline PINK and very thin. Consistency with these doesn't seem to be a strong point, unfortunately. Is your Satyr a deep dark red color?

And yes, how could I have forgotten aged Snake Oil?

:P That's my biggest problem with these 'dark red' scents from the lab.. you say your Satyr is average to thin whereas my older imp of it is some of the thickest, slowest moving liquid ever. Also, my first imp of Fenris Wolf was deep dark red and thick but I frimp'd it and ordered another from the lab, only this one was borderline PINK and very thin. Consistency with these doesn't seem to be a strong point, unfortunately. Is your Satyr a deep dark red color?

My Satyr is a medium red-brown color. I definitely think that with those, it all comes down to agingthe longer the better, especially if you want the thickest and darkest that you can get. Fenris Wolf didn't take long at all to age for me, but then it is in an impand those seem to age faster. My bottle of Satyr still looks pretty fresh, despite being a good few months old. Hopefully the longer it sits the better it'll get.

On the same note, if you still have than new Fenris Wolf, and if it's in a bottle, it may be worth decanting so that the aging process speeds up a bit.

My Satyr is a medium red-brown color. I definitely think that with those, it all comes down to aging—the longer the better, especially if you want the thickest and darkest that you can get. Fenris Wolf didn't take long at all to age for me, but then it is in an imp—and those seem to age faster. My bottle of Satyr still looks pretty fresh, despite being a good few months old. Hopefully the longer it sits the better it'll get.

On the same note, if you still have than new Fenris Wolf, and if it's in a bottle, it may be worth decanting so that the aging process speeds up a bit.

No, the Fenris Wolf is in imp form. I grabbed both my Satyr and Fenris Wolf imps after making my first post. My Fenris Wolf imp is about 1/3rd full (I gave 2/3rds away) so it should've aged fast but it's still an orange-ish/pink translucent color, not at all the dark red that my first imp was. It also smells different too (the light colored stuff has the pencil shavings smell, never got it from the original formula I had). The Satyr imp looks almost identical to blood.. basically black with a glowing crimson around the edges where light peaks through - and super super thick, not "Average to thin" as another poster's Satyr oil is. Makes me nervous to invest in a full bottle :/

Help me find some oils that are thick and dark like molasses.. so far I only know of Satyr (at least my old stuff - not sure if it has changed) and Boomslang. Any others? Again, I'm referring to physical consistency and not smell.

Thanks

Malediction.

A REALLY thick, oozy patchouli resin straight from the lab. It's like Carlie Simon's song in the old Heinz 57 sauce commercial....anticipation :P

Thanks

Malediction.

A REALLY thick, oozy patchouli resin straight from the lab. It's like Carlie Simon's song in the old Heinz 57 sauce commercial....anticipation :P

ha!

I just found my old imp of Malediction.. it's pretty dark and mega-thick! Thanks for the reminder :D

Thanks

Malediction.

A REALLY thick, oozy patchouli resin straight from the lab. It's like Carlie Simon's song in the old Heinz 57 sauce commercial....anticipation :D

ha!

I just found my old imp of Malediction.. it's pretty dark and mega-thick! Thanks for the reminder :D

Cheers!

It's also got a scent to match, though, so fair warning! :P

Well, since you don't care what it smells like, used motor oil would certainly fit the bill. :P

Having just recieved an imp of it, I had to come back and add: aged Smut. (I don't know about the fresh stuff, since I've never tried it.) It's not the thickest I've tried, but it's got a pretty nice consistency. What's remarkable is the color, which is so deep and dark that it's almost black. It's a truly lightless oil.

Having just recieved an imp of it, I had to come back and add: aged Smut. (I don't know about the fresh stuff, since I've never tried it.) It's not the thickest I've tried, but it's got a pretty nice consistency. What's remarkable is the color, which is so deep and dark that it's almost black. It's a truly lightless oil.

It wasn't that long ago that I decanted some Smut 2006 for someone and I was goggle-eyed at how dark and syrupy it was! Like on the verge of becoming gel. :lol: I don't always notice the consistency when I'm just applying something to wear it, but when you are decanting it into a clear vial, there's no mistaking.

Aged Snake Oil gets thicker and thicker as it gets older, but it doesn't darken as much - it seems to get more of a mahogany brown than a molasses, almost-black color like Smut.

I've got a bottle of Dee from early 2006 that has attained the consistency of grade A maple syrup. The imp of Malediction from late 2005, though, has made it to grade B.

My year-old imp of Dragon's Milk is pure molasses in consistency, but not color (it's bright, BRIGHT red). All that dragon's blood, I imagine. Have a look at the rest of the Ars Draconis scents, most of them are pretty thick too and one of them is undoubtedly darker than the Milk.

My Schwarzer Mond from the first release is very, very thick as is my Snake Charmer from a few years ago. I do have some really thick sludgy Smut, Sin and Pulcinella & Teresina as well.

Well, since you don't care what it smells like, used motor oil would certainly fit the bill. ;)

Yeah, I'm more than a little curious as to why you're choosing a blend this way-- some kind of special use that need a thick oil?

Resurrecting this thread because I have fallen in love with the sludge in my Black Temple Burlesque Troupe bottle and wanted to know what other scents have glorious amounts of sludge!? It's been a while since this thread started so I am sure there are a lot more you all can add...

Why do I love the sludge...lets just say it's thick, interesting, and I dig it. Call me crazy! :lol:

Why do I love the sludge...lets just say it's thick, interesting, and I dig it. Call me crazy! :lol:

Heh... hello crazy :wave:

Most of the 'sludge' I have encountered recently has been due to cocoa/cacoa/chocolate in a blend. As you mentioned - BTBT has sludge, and so has Countess Willie, Playing With Dangerous Toys, Delight and Consternation, and #occupywallstreet (the sludge in one of my OWS bottles is so thick that it absolutely refuses to budge from the bottom of the bottle!). I have a few bottles of Boomslang that I've been aging for a while now - they are all at various levels of sludginess, but the oldest bottle is very thick and sludgy and glorious... like a chocolate syrup :smile: And of course, the older Snake Oil gets... the thicker and sludgier it becomes - same with most of the Snake Pit blends, and also Snake Charmer.

I dig the sludge too! But I also dig the BPALs with globules - they're like little lava lamps in a bottle :) The one that most comes to mind is Hellhound On My Trail - my bottles of that all have black globules in them :thumbsup:

I dig the sludge too! But I also dig the BPALs with globules - they're like little lava lamps in a bottle :) The one that most comes to mind is Hellhound On My Trail - my bottles of that all have black globules in them :thumbsup:

Oooooh globules!!!! I'll take that too! Thanks SSDB for the recs you are so awesome!!! :wub2:

Another perfume with "globules" is Pomegranate IV (from Halloweenie 2011 I believe) -- it definitely comes from the cocoa note. I need to mix my bottle thoroughly prior to applying, otherwise the cocoa just sits on the bottom!