Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!

Hard work, patience, and harmony: Chinese musk, dark musk, and moist soil with black cherry, opoponax, night-blooming jasmine, plum, woodland tobacco, snakeweed, and cypress.

Can I just say how impressed I am by all the new phoenix scents? This is another gorgeous one. At first it's lots of dark musk with a hint of cherry and tobacco. The jasmine is (thankfully) being held in check, but adding just a touch of sweetness. The soil isn't as strong as I expected, but it adds a subtle earthiness (LOL) to it. There is also a bit of greeness that keeps it from being too dark. The plum is there, but it's more of a whisper and the opoponax adds a really beautiful resinous quality.
This is just plain gorgeous. Where Fire Phoenix made me feel bold, this makes me feel a bit "come to me" sexy. :P I love it.

In the bottle: Musk, earth, this is definately a dark scent.

Wet on skin: I smell the same wet dirt scent that is found in Fortunato, plus lots of musk, a bit of resins and dark florals.

Dry on skin: Wet dirt, dark florals, musk, red fruits playing in the background.

Final thoughts: I can't believe I'm the second reviewer, where's the love for the Earth Phoenix?! It is a truly beautiful scent, very complex, that definately qualifies for my top 5 of favorites!

bottle: cherries, tobacco and dirt. this will require a second bottle.

wet: oh my god! this is the most sexy scent i have smelled in a while! deep rich loamy dirt, smoky tobacco, syrupy cherries, glorious musk i cannot stop sniffing my arm.

dry: the tobacco fades the teensiest bit and the musk goes all mellow while the dirt stays rich and potent. my absolute favourite phoenix.

(edited for spelling idiocy)

Edited by hkhm

This was top of my list for the Yule/Anniversary release...

Whoops, just a sec, someone dropped an almond cookie in the mud! No, my mistake, it's the earth phoenix coming to say hi.

Ugh. Dirty cookies. I'll try again in a few days, maybe my chemistry is just bad right now. I'm sure it'll age wonderfully, but... Right now, I may as well be wearing Graveyard Dirt. It HAS to get better than this...! Opoponax! Jasmine! Where are you?!?

In the bottle, it was cherries and dirt.

On me, it starts off cherries and dirt, but, as it dries it blends a bit more. Cypress! Oppoponax(myrrh)! Musk! The other notes are in hiding(I might possibly be detecting the night blooming jasmine, but, that could be my imagination), but, the three that I was really hoping for do show up. The dirt is still very strong, though.

I'm not sure this is really me, but, it might grow on me. It is spicy and complex...I'm just not sure I'm a dirt person and this is very dirt.

In the bottle: mmm, cherries and dirt. Like Death Cap but fruity instead of vanilla. I couldn't have asked for it to be better!

On my skin: Holy schnikes tobacco. Where's the lovely cherry? Where's the lovely dirt? :P

So I tried my scent locket yesterday, since that usually replicates the in-bottle smell pretty well for me.

In the locket: Cherries, dirt, and musk! MMMMMMM, I love this! I need moar! Moar!

Two hours later: tobacco rears its head, laughing evilly at me. It taunts me. Imagine Daniel Day-Lewis as tobacco, and he keeps going "I sock your nose!"* Plus it set off my allergies.

*I think DDL is hot but no one is hot enough to do this to me with impunity.

I didn't read the part about the soil, but I should have guessed had I thought about it ...

Not really a big dirt fan. Will probably keep my bottle for a bit to see how it ages and try again out of sheer perversity.

in the vial: cherries and the wet, rich dirt found in Graveyard Dirt.

wet on skin:tobacco note is making it's presence known now.

dry down: the dirt note is heavy, but this is far more complex that GD. the tobacco is adding a rich back ground note, and the cherry is natural and a little smoky, like cherry bark-rather than cherry candy.

in all: i first checked this out at EC Will Call and i thought it was another version of GD. i see now that it's far more layered and complex. i agree with those that say this batch of Phoenixes is really special. they are all heady, and deep and complex. well done as usual, Beth!

:P

This might be as close to Queen of Clubs as I have ever found. It's less present and a more wild, though.

This is a rich loamy dirt scent with plum and musky tobacco. I HATE HATE cherry but in here it is wonderful combined with the other sweet notes. And even though the dirt is very much present in the blend, when you smell this is doesn't screem "soil." It's very much a sophisticated perfume.

Overall this is very well blended.

Edited by Rheliwen

at first sniff, I'm surprised at how much cherry I get, but instead of becoming too sweet, it's grounded by BPAL's always-amazing tobacco note.

After a few minutes, its clear that I need at least two bottles of this one. Earthy cherries and tobacco with a bit of herbiness behind it. Earth Phoenix is sexy as hell. (and thankfully, I don't get any Jasmine at all!)

In the bottle, this smells like potting soil and a resinous sweetness. On my skin, it's mainly black cherry and tobacco.

Earth Phoenix doesn't have much throw. It's strong on a sour, dry cherry note and the dry tobacco. It's not as sweet on my skin as it is in the bottle, and I don't smell much of a soil note on my skin. It's pretty simple, and I'm not crazy about the soured cherry note here.

All in all, this smells better in the bottle than it does on my skin.

In bottle/imp: Very earthy cherry with a slight foody feel to it.

Immediately on skin: This is a musky, dry, earthy, warm scent with a touch of fruit and smoky florals. I don’t get nearly as much cherry as I do out of the decant, but I do get just a touch of it as well as some plum. Lingering behind is a little smoky jasmine. This scent is just a little bitter.

After a little while: This is subtle, but pretty. After a few minutes of wear it started clinging very close to my skin, and it’s still doing that now. The tobacco is very prominent now, but it’s blended with the musks, soil, jasmine, cherry and plum to create this sexy, earthy, musky, warm, smoky perfume scent. It’s hard to explain but it’s all those things and very well blended.

Overall Impressions: This is sexier than I was expecting, and a lot more subtle. It’s musky, quite dry, and very warm and earthy (but it’s not really a dirt scent). The fruits, tobacco, and jasmine are evident, but very nicely blended in. This has a slight perfuminess to it, but this isn’t your average scent. It’s very unique and subtly lovely.

My skin loves to amp Earth notes....in this case there is no exception. Wet in the imp, I smell soil and musk...no cherry...no tobacco :P no plum :D....Dry Down: It smells like Chinese musk with hints of soil and a very tiny hint of tobacco....I am not crazy about this scent but I like it enough to purchase a bottle and add it to my rotation in my power scents!

That description isn't fooling around when it says "moist soil"--this is wet soggy earthy DIRT first and foremost. The other notes take quite a while to appear--sadly when they do it's the evil jasmine that dominates, and...we'll not speak of her again. I do get a lovely whiff of opoponax and a nice sweetness from the cherry and tobacco, but mostly this is jasmine dirt and thus is not my thing. Interesting combination of notes, though.

I think the perfume description depicts the scent perfectly. I like to use it on those muggy days- it doesn't have much staying power though. Not a fav but definitely a keeper!

Wet, this is nice and green and earthy. As it dries, out comes the jasmine in its stompy boots to dance all over the other scents. Which is pretty much what I figured would happen.

This smelled great in the decant. Dirty, yet not. There was soil, there was plum. There was Cherry. It was nice....but it tuned jasmine on my skin. Ugh. It has GREAT throw though, so much that I wondered what the smell was that made my head hurt. I had to scrub it off. *sob*

Sometimes I wonder why I keep trying these earth/soil blends, then I remember Jolasveinar......and Premature Burial......and sometimes even Zombi. Anyway, I do like some of them. And then there's Graveyard Dirt, and Badger, which just don't work for me. Earth Phoenix falls somewhere in the middle. It almost works for me, especially in the drying-down stage. And I do happen to like it enough to keep my decant. But I probably won't reach for it a whole lot.

The dirt note is strong in the beginning, but I could tell there is more complexity....it's not just single-note dirt. As it dries, more of the backing notes come out, and it becomes a deep, dark, slightly fruity scent, with a solid streak of soil. I usually like jasmine, depending on what's paired with it, and I also like cherry.....actually, I like all the notes, even though I'm not sure what snakeweed is. But this isn't really a scent that I could pick apart (even though I always try). The cherry does come out, and I think I can smell plum and jasmine too. But otherwise, it's just all blended together. I should add, jasmine usually does not take over every other note on my skin, like it does for some many people.

I could see myself being in the mood for this every so often, maybe on a rainy day, or when I'm just in the mood for something completely different. So I'll be happy to hold onto my decant (unless I happen to change my mind, lol).

Edit: I'm glad someone mentioned Queen Of Clubs a few posts back, because that did give me kind of a reference point.

Edited by Forspecial Plate

Oh man, jasmine, why do you ruin everything? I get some of the lovely musk and cherries that people are talking about, but it's really jasmine that blooms and blooms and blooms on my skin.

Nuts.

In bottle: chlorinated flowers

On skin: watery dirt

Half-hour later: the florals have amped up, plus some black cherry juice

In conclusion: this was like a slightly sweeter Worm Moon. No heavy musk, just a nice dusky base. I've been reaching for this all week since I received it; I love the light watery dirt blends.

In the imp: The lab's lovely dirt/soil note, with a hint of fruit

Wet on skin: The earth is joined by cherry, plum, tobacco with faint traces of florals.

Dry on skin: This scent literally blooms as it dries. The soil backs off just enough to highlight the deep sweetness of the fruit and the lighter florals (and the evil jasmine is behaving on me, for once in its life). If I try very hard, I can pretend that I'm gardening. Really!

This is so utterly lovely, and very different from any other scent I own. Now I need to decide if I'll wear it enough to justify springing for a bottle.

I loved this in the bottle. On my skin, not so much. I think it's the jasmine note, though I can't be sure, but after three hours I had a terrible headache and was trying to scrub scrub scrub it away. Sadly I will probably sell or trade it, since I can't run around with fierce pain behind my eyebrows. This makes me sad.

Well, at least it helps me to narrow down from the 45+ imps I've got to try....

In the bottle: Light gold oil. Soil hits my nose before anything else, a bit sharply. Below it I can smell the dark sweet fruits, musk, heady florals, tobacoo and more distant herbal-woodsy notes.

Wet: Still heavy on the soil, but the jasmine amps up quickly, with a soapy edge. The black cherry is also quite strong, almost artificially so. There's a bitter herbal note I think is snakeweed, and the tobacco adds depth.

Dry: That soil note just won't let up. This is a very dark, heavy, almost syrupy (that cherry turning a bit sickly sweet) scent. Which is appropriate, but not pleasant, and the jasmine is just as heavy, only with a touch of soap.

Later: I don't think the musks will ever be able to shine with so much dampening them. There's also an unpleasant plastic note.

Summary: Sharp soil, artificially sweet cherry, bitter weeds, and heady, soapy, jasmine. I find it rather nauseating. Good throw & longevity.

straight sniff from imp is ripe, sweet, succulent red cherries and moist dirt....

once applied, still cherry big but lots of earth too....gah....why do i get nothing more

than cherries and earth?? boo :(