Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!

The scent of sexual obsession, slavery to sensual pleasure, and the undercurrent of innocence defiled utterly. Amber and honey with a touch of vanilla.

In the bottle, a blast of ambery sweetness. dries down to a very sweet definately honey scent with a slight powderyness. i don't know how sexual smelling it is but it smells like more of a soft cuddly animal smell to me, maybe that's the vanilla. I like it and will be getting a bottle.

although i haven't taken this for an official test drive yet, I think it is quite nice...like a sweeter, lighter Snake Oil. It doesn't smell sexed up to me, but it is certainly more sophisticated then a simple candy smell. I also smell a bit of marzipan-y almond..mmmmmmm....for one second while drying down, i smelled a faint tinge of that mildew bo that my ex boyfriend used to get (Blech) but it was a FAINT tinge and literally lasted a few seconds.

I can see my mom saying this smells like baby powder, which she says of all my faves--but now I know that she thinks of vanilla and babies and being a mom (she loved having babies and had 5) so I take that as a big compliment to these scents.

OH oh oh! I know it now---it smells a bit like my old cabbage patch kids....I LOVE that smell.

Oddly enough, this smells like chocolate on me...and on my daughter

for what its worth though, chocolate scents like vice and bliss smell like sun tan lotion on me so I dont know if my review will be helpful to anyone or not, lol.

Hey though, I finally found my chocolate! Yea!

O smelled like artificial cherry flavoring mixed with vanilla gone stale. It reminded me of the time I got *ehm* intimate with some cake. It wasn't a nice experience. All my family also made it known that they didn't think O was very pleasant. Nice, perhaps, for other people, but not for us. And the scent never morphed in interesting ways, either. I guess it just isn't for me.

O

transparent oil

Imp: Smells sweet like honey with a bit of a cough-syrup.

Skin: Cough syrup at first, but that fades in about 3 minutes.

It becomes a very warm, honey scent. I can smell the vanilla in it, and overall, the sweetness is like that of caramel. It doesn't change much after that, just turns softer.

O stays very close to the skin, it doesn't waft around like florals would.

Despite the strong sweet smell from the Imp, its subtle on application, as if you've been dusted lightly with honey powder. Poeple have to come up close to smell it. It also lasts quite long too.

I can't imagine wearing it to work or going shopping in it, its a suite-room bedside scent.

I won't get a bottle, but the imp will be fun while it lasts. *ahem ahem*

Note: It has to be applied on dry, scentless skin. Smells quite different, if sometimes bitter otherwise.

I had such high hopes for O. I really did. Honey is one of my favouritest notes and amber and I get along pretty well as well. The vanilla was making a bit wary because although I like the way vanilla smells, it can be "foody" and I dislike that.

In the imp: Foody. Forget honey and amber, the first thing I smell is "foody." There is a specific "foody" accord that I swear exists in some of Beth's blends for scents other people don't see as foody. It has a distinct smell on its own that has little or no relation to the actual notes in a blend. My roommate also can smell this "foody" note and she says it makes her ill.

Wet: The honey's definitely there, but not conquering the other unpleasant note.

Dry: Damn, still no honey and amber. :P

This was a disappointment as nearly every other BPAL blend has been fabulous on me. And it didn't smell BAD, per se, it's just that foodiness that makes me turn away from O. Oh Beth, when will you put out a pure honey blend in the vein of the pure leather note that's De Sade?

I'm hoping that aging O will get rid of that pesky smell. Because it has the potential to be SOOOOOOOOOO GOOOOOOOOD...

Edited to add: Aging it as indeed improved the "foody" accord. It's barely noticeable now. The honey and amber have finally made their appearance! Huzzah! Yay.

Edited by theGreatMissJJ

I wasn't really drawn to this one, but I received it as a frimp, and I like the notes in it...

On me, there is very little morphing. The amber is very powdery and smells a bit like sandalwood. Sandalwood and baby powder. I can't smell honey per se, but there is a definitely sweetness here, and the vanilla stands out.

So, I get baby powder and vanilla, in effect. It's actually not so bad, but it's nothing that woos me. It's really a bit too sweet for my tastes and is making me slightly sick.

Throw is very good, and life also seems to be excellent. It has been about 2 hours and it hasn't faded at all, which is kind of rare for amber, on my skin.

I'm heartbroken as I write this. This was the oil I was most excited about...

and I despise it.

Hate hate hate. It's sickening powder and mildew on me. Yuck.

Layering it with De Sade, it starts to smell a little like the S-Perfume "S-EX", but more bearable.

ETA: My darling boyfriend slathered some on his wrist, even though I saw him with "O" and screamed "NO, don't do it, it's terrible!"

And you know what? On my darling boyfriend, it's not terrible at all. It's a really nice, warm amber-vanilla. Not the stuff of orgasms, but still nice.

Ohhh, vile skin chemistry. I guess O will go to the boy then.

Edited by Alseides

Hmmm.....I'm not quite sure yet if I will like this one or not.

In bottle: I get very strong amber and vanilla.

Wet: I'm still getting the amber and vanilla mixture, and I really don't like it much.

Dry: Well, I lost the vanilla entirly and I just get the amber.

I'm not really fond of this blend.

Bottle: Warm and spiced with a hint of vanilla.

Wet: Exotic. The vanilla has disappeared for now, but the spices are lovely.

Dry: More honey, still sensual and exotic with a hint of a sweetness.

Later: Much the same, with a bit less bite.

Imagery: A sensual woman surrounded in luxury and pleasure.

Summary: This is a lovely scent that brings to mind sensual pleasures. While I enjoy the smell, it’s not particularly strong and lacks a certain interesting quality. It also doesn’t last very long.

EDIT 9/19/2007: Wore this scent today and recieved a variety of different responses. People told me that I smelled like "paste," "vinegar," and of course the ubiquitous "baby powder." I thought I smelled pretty good but I guess not. I just thought I'd share.

Edited by Crystelle

i really thought that this would be lovely and everyones reviews got me even more excited. Unfortunately my skin did nothing but amp the amber up way too high for me. This has almost a metallic smell on me, i was really hoping for vanilla and honey but i got none :P

Mmmm, yep, honey and vanilla....The notes aren't too difficult to describe but there's something about the feel of it I'll try to put into words:

To me, this is definitely a 'submissive' sexual scent -- I don't wear it if I'm feeling dominant. (hey forum, was that TMI?) It's sexy like a woman who stands naked in front of you with her eyes locked on yours. Very blatantly sexy but waiting for you to make the next move.

I've had the imp for a while and I don't use it too often, but when I do I slather it on and when it runs out I'll be getting a bottle. There are definitely times when nothing but O will do.

In the imp: Oh, this is lovely. I can actually smell the amber instead of it just being a deepener. Sweetness that doesn’t cloy. The honey is floral in the imp.

On the wrist: well, wrists are differing again. Left wrist: really, really sweet, and it’s not just because I’ve sniffed Aunt Caroline’s Mojo again. Right wrist: much more amber-y, resin not quite taking over.

Drydown: It smells of the back of New England general stores, where the candy is kept. As far as I know general stores aren’t linked to sexual obsession, but hey, Lovecraft lived in Providence, so what do I know? Right wrist: has developed a bit of a tang—a darker amber working with the honey, I think.

20 minutes: has deepened to something deeper than innocence, but I still don’t get defilement from it. It’s almost lilac-y on the left wrist, and a bit sickly sweet on the right. A bit of sweet vanilla.

Hour and a bit: Throw has vanished. Left wrist: it’s not just honey, and it’s not just vanilla. The combination goes a bit fruity. (Not like that—down in the back!) Right wrist is the same but a little bit cloyed or spoiled. Still not “defiled,” though.

Two hours: still that same sweetness.

Lots later: faded from right wrist. Finally get a sense of what could be termed "sensual" on the left.

In the imp:

I know this doesn't go with the actual notes, but I swear it smells like fruit with some sort of light chocolate undertones.

Wet:

I still swear I am smelling fruit and chocolate. Maybe I am insane. After a minute or two, though, it's all honey and vanilla. This is not a bad thing. As it dries down, I can begin to smell the amber. I am also starting to understand why people are saying it smells like sex. Um, this might be TMI, but I think this is actually making me a little... *ahem* excited? :P

Dry:

This smells light on me, mostly honeyed vanilla. Honestly, given the effect it is having on me I really don't care what it smells like (although it's quite nice). *scampers off to order a bottle immediately*

I was looking forward to trying O, but O is "oh no!" for me.

In the imp, it's sweetish.

Wet, on my wrist, it's toilet bowl cleaner.

Drying down, it's toilet bowl cleaner with a hint of those moth cakes you hang in the closet, with lots and lots of throw. A hint of bug spray in the background. My housemate thought the moth cake and bug spray was overpowering the toilet bowl cleaner as it dried.

I never got all the way to dry. It was so horrifying I had to scrub it off after about five minutes.

I have been searching for a discription of this for the longest time but the search thingy wouldn't let me search just one letter: O. I can smell the vanilla and honey the most and the amber just adds a warm feeling to it. I really like this and it's a very comforting smell on me. I can see myself buying a bottle of this once I have enough money! Yummy sweet scent and kind of foody!

O is all Oh.... :D :P in the bottle

But on my skin it's all oh :D

-------

I've never had a scent turn to major amping powder as fast as O, which is a shame, as it's gorgeous in the bottle.

I picked this out as a first timer with a little help from my Lushforum friends. I was searching for a vanillaery scent. When I first sniffed this I though "gah sweet!", and oddly enough, a little bit like wee (sorry!). when i put it on it smelled vanillaery, but quite a sharp smell. the sharpness fades slightly. but i'm afraid this scent just doesn't suit my body chemistry, i don't smell of vanilla, just a sharp mess! very odd. but worth a try if you don't have a picky body like me :P

In the bottle, wet and dry: stayed remarkably constant -- honey and vanilla with just a hint of ambery warmth. I really love it -- got a bottle in a swap without trying it first, and it works amazingly well. I wouldn't describe it as sexy -- it's a warm golden summery scent that brings to mind beehives and July afternoons and lazing about because it's too hot to do anything else.

Imp: Warm/sweet

Wet: Whoa. Sweet like vanilla sugar, but very powdery. (Vanilla powdered sugar?) Maybe too powdery? I'm losing the sweet underneath . . .

Dry: There's the sweetness. So much sweetness that I'm having trouble picking out the honey or amber. Even the vanilla is just a whisper of a hint. This is sheer and sweet, but so light I'm not catching any of the lauded sexy.

I'll try again later in my cycle, but for now this is too light and too simple. Here's hoping it's just me, since Honey is my favoritest note ev-ah!

In the imp: not much vanilla, just honey and what I assume is amber. A bit buttery too. I'm usually good with the foody smells, but this is almost too sweet for me.

On me: Still very sweet and honey but it gets less sweet as it dries. I put it on last night after taking a bath with a Butterball bathbomb from Lush and it was a good smell to fall asleep to. The smell makes me think of cuddling in bed on a Saturday morning with the scent of Friday night still on the sheets. Or of a baby with sticky honey all over his fingers. I can't decide.

My first review, so here it goes.

In the imp this was a bitter honey scent, which i guess was the amber.

Wet O is very warm and sweet, without being overpowering, but still quite rich.

Once dry, this morphed into something wonderful. The amber calmed down and just 'heated' the honey, and the honey and vanilla didn't become to heady and sweet.

To me this is a scent for a intimate candlelight dinner.

Now, where did I leave my man?

Nethien

my first review!

intro; i chose to order O mainly because of the honey. the amber seemed intriguing, but i don't know what amber smells like, really. i'm not a fan of vanilla, and hopefully this doesn't turn out too powdery!

in the imp; powdery vanilla at first, but taking a deep whiff reveals dark bitter chocolate and cherry vanilla.

wet on skin; the chocolate disappears while more of the cherry vanilla comes out. and the honey! very sweet honey.

dried; smells quite powdery and dry. a bit like cherry incense.

15 minutes later; "O" no...baby powder! :P there's still a hint of sweet honey, though..

final word; i'd give this a 3 out of 5 stars. i could see myself wearing this when i'm much older, but being 20, i'm going to stick to more innocent smells. this is too powdery for me. will not get a 5ml.

This was another bad choice in my first batch of BPAL, before I knew what horrible things my chemistry did to anything even remotely sweet. All I got from O was sweet ... awful, cloying, headache-inducing sweet. <sigh>

I got this in an eBay imp lot, again, very excited to try another BPAL classic.

Imp: Mostly honey, very sexy!

Skin: Initially the sweetness of the honey and the vanilla is nicely prevalent.

Drydown: This eventually settles down to powdery amber. *sigh* Though it's not horrid, just rather anti-climatic. But for those people it does work on, I can only imagine how very SEXAH it really is.