Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!

The scent of sexual obsession, slavery to sensual pleasure, and the undercurrent of innocence defiled utterly. Amber and honey with a touch of vanilla.

I was really excited by O's description, but it didn't work on me. Something about it was sickly to my nose. I'd assumed it was the amber - but I just had a similar reaction to Dana O'Shee so I think it may be the honey.

An imp of O (distributed by the Apothecary's Cat) found its way to me, and was picked out as one of tonight's random imps to test. I have absolutely no idea how old this imp might be, it's a light golden amber coloured oil.

In the imp, whoa ... this smells like moments after hours of bedroom play, basking in the afterglow ... ahem. *grin* I also have La Petit Mort; to my nose, La Petit Mort is more floral, where O is honey drizzled on heated skin ...

Wet on skin, it's warm, sweet, slightly spicy honey. Not too sharp on me, which is what I was a little worried for first up.

Once dry, it makes a lovely rounded sweet skin scent. The vanilla is in there, but it's not screaming from the rooftops. I think it's the combination of the amber and vanilla making the scent all rounded and unsharp, if that made any sense. I'm not sure it would be safe for me to wear this to work!

I've only got about half an imp of this left, I think it might have to make it to a bottle in a future order!

ETA: it's over 12 hours since I first applied a teeny dab of O, I've fallen asleep, woken up, gone to bed, and got back up again in the morning, and there's still the scent of O on my skin after this long... Not sure that it would make an an appropriate scent choice for today, given that the forecast is for HOT then thunderstorms, but I appreciate the lasting power!

Edited by Girl Android

I decided to try O first out of my first BPAL order. Here goes:

Note: Early in the cycle. Imp fresh from the Lab.

In the bottle: This is much sweeter than I expected! Something sharp... but not in a bad way, more bright. I don't know why I didn't expect it to be sweet, looking at the description "Amber and honey with a touch of vanilla." The honey is shouting out here, with a sort of Sweet-Tart-ish tang.

On me: A little mellower, less sweet. The amber is coming out more. The vanilla is just giving it an extra zing. I'm not sure I put enough on to really get a wet stage and a drydown stage. My skin kind of soaked it up before I had a chance to order my thoughts.

1 hour+ later: It still has throw, despite the fact that I only applied a little. I was smelling it a tiny bit as I went about my tasks around the house. It isn't what I expected from other reviews. On me now, it is like warm, aching desire. I'm glad it has morphed into this. Here I go to put a little more on.

OMFGBBQ.

This is one of the most gorgeous things I've ever smelled.

That is all.

:P :D ;) :D :)

ADDED Jan. 27:

Okay, so I tried this a few weeks ago, and it was absolutely wonderful - sweet, warm, honeyed vanilla goodness. Just golden and lovely - I was hooked. No baby powder, and not even anything particularly smutty - warm, yes, a good skin scent, yes, very sweet and kind of rich, but not that "smell of sex" thing others were getting.

So I started hoarding imps of O, and today I tried one of the new ones - and it's different. (I realize this isn't shocking - they were probably different ages, different batches, etc. etc. But I haven't had enough duplicates of scents to encounter this before now.) This one isn't nearly as nice as the first - there's much more of the SEX!!! element to it (I realize this is probably why some people like O to begin with! B) But it's not quite what I was going for.) It's got that kind of thick, almost murky smell to it. It's not terrible or anything - it's just not quite as much an object of adoration.

Comparing imps, I think the smuttier one is older - it's a tiny shade darker in color, and seems to have separated a tiny bit, compared to the other imp I have. So for me, this is going to have to be the anti-Snake Oil - best when fresh, and passed on to others once it gets older!

I liked the notes in this, but when I first opened it up, it was just overpoweringly sweet. Really sweet. Extremely. Now, I like sweet and foody scents, but this was like... honey and flowers. I'm not so big on florals.

Wet: Sweet, floral, very sweet. Too sweet. I'll perservere, but I think I'm already biased.

Drydown: baby powder. So much so, my husband, across the room, looks up and says "What smells like baby powder"

Right. Not for me. Go figure... I want seduction-in-a-bottle, I get baby powder.

Story of my life.

i have to say, while i was quite excited to receive an imp of this, it's not lived up to the adoration for me. :P

i fully agree with the baby powder summation...i get no honey OR vanilla from my imp. i am beyond sad. maybe i'll give it another shot in a week or so, once my nose gets over this mild cold?? then again..maybe not. all in all? pretty bummed about this one.

Ahhh...

This one works very well for me. I've had a lot of success with these notes and It's a deep, rich warm scent with just a bit of the honey showing through. One of my faves and I'll be ordering a full bottle when the imps are gone.

I love :P love O! My husband literally ran up the stairs and attacked me when I wore it. He thinks it smells like sex.

On me it smells all sweet and honey vanilla but the amber makes it naughty!! A little goes a long way, too. I can dot a little on from an imp and it lasts all night long.

Must have a bottle.

Mmmmm, honey amber and vanilla. At first it smells a little sickly sweet, but after a while it becomes a gorgeous honey scent that sticks very close to the skin but lasts a long time. I like this a lot, and it smells heavenly layered with Dragon's Milk. Definetely a bottle purchase when I have a chance. :P

I think this one was where I learned what a difference skin chemistry makes! On me, it's really really sweet and spicy. On my mother, it's softer and almost creamier. (Smells better on her, IMO). On my friend, it's completely amber (well I think so anyway; it's similar to an amber lotion she has.)

So there you have it! If it doesn't work on you, try it on a friend. If it works on them, tote them around so you can still smell it :P

I'm confused!!! Maybe it's because of a certain time of the month for me but I'm getting wafts of menthol from O. It's sweet and powdery, but very very menthol, right from start to finish (which isn't very long on me... maybe 2-3 hours?).

I'll retry this in a week.

This is a lovely scent. It's mostly honey and amber on me. I can only detect the vanilla in the imp and when it's wet.

When dry it has amazing similarities to Lush's B Never too Busy to be Beautiful Shower Gel. I could still smell the honey on my wrists when I woke up this morning.

I do like it but I might wear it a few more times before deciding if it's really 'me'.

In the bottle: Sweet, almost sickly sweet really, but still sort of yum. Very vanilla with a nice dollop of honey.

Wet: The amber jumps out, the vanilla mellows a bit, not so sickly sweet now. I think I want to eat my wrist. :P

Dry: Um. Baby powder. All sweetness is gone, can't smell anything but baby powder. Not sexy. Maybe I can use it in my oil burner.

Edited by into the trees

honey and vanilla sweetness, that dries into baby powder. honey is still a bit detectable, this isn't as bad a powder as la fee verte took on my skin, but the changing room smell is still there.

i'll have to try this instead in different places than the wrist...maybe hair or even elbows.

I love this scent! Honey, vanilla, amber and musk-what could be better? It was so soothing on my wrists so I dabbed it behind my ears. As it warms up to body temperature it gets even better. I put this on before a very long car drive and it was so nice to smells this instead of car exhaust! It lasted all through the 6 hour drive. I must admit that I purchased this just on the reviews of others and I'm glad I did. :P

Wet, this is the most glorious, sexy, warm, liquid honey scent I’ve ever come across.

Dry, it varies between cosmetic powder, or vulgar-nuclear-strength-won’t-scrub-off baby powder. :D

…Or both. :P

I’ve tried O Lab fresh, in my first-ever BPAL order. I’ve tried a decant of it that had been aged over a year. The difference on me: aged, it won’t even tease me with that hint of beautiful honey, and I’m more likely to end up with rapid-fading cosmetic powder as opposed to the abominable baby powder.

I’m convinced there’s ‘skin musk’ or whichever musk is described as ‘warm flushed skin’ (or something of similar description) in O, as, aside from Bengal, that component seems to equate to hell-powder single note on me. :D

This is one of the first scents from BPAL that I got all the notes straight-off! Honey, amber, vanilla! I absolutely adore it and am contemplating whether or not to get a 5mL as this could be very, very wearable for everyday. I hear it doesn't age so well and is one of the loveliest semi-gourmand amber scents I've tried in the catalogue so far.

I had my heart set on this one. It didn't work out.

In Bottle: Smells very strong and sour. I hate to say it, but it smelled like vomit. I think the honey might have been overwhelming.

On Skin: Sweet for an instant, and then VERY strong baby powder. What a disappointment.

I'd love to smell this on someone that has the right skin chemistry to pull it off, it has all the ingredients of something lovely. On me, it's horrible.

Honey, amber, and vanilla…seriously, what's not to like here? The honey comes on strongest for me in the beginning, and the vanilla gains dominance during wear. Throughout, the amber stays to the back just adding warmth to the other notes. Light to moderate throw, and long wear length - I applied it in the afternoon, and I could still faintly smell it the next morning. O is just gorgeous on me, and I'm definitely going to need a bottle.

Oooh. Love. Love. Love this one. The perfect sweet and calming scent to wear to bed. Pretty good throw, and everything combines so that no note in particular is standing out. I look forward to pairing this one with my Kama Sutra Honey Dust powder.

O was one of the scents I sniffed at my first Will-Call, lo, just less than a year ago. Didn't apply any, just sniffed, having heard so much about it. (Now, I know that the scents can change radically on the skin!) It did smell very sexual to me, and, while I didn't hate it, it didn't particularly appeal.

Now that I've grown to :P BPAL honeys - Svadinaopatika being now my absolute favorite - and having just received an imp of O in a very generous swap circle, it seemed the time was ripe to try it again. And yes, I love it!

in the imp: Honey and amber; genuinely reminiscent of the aromas of a sexual encouter. In a good way.

on: Ahh - the amber warms up quite a bit, cutting some of the edge off the cloying sweetness of the honey. The vanilla is subtle, really just combining with the honey. If I didn't know it was there, I probably wouldn't recognize it at all.

Strong throw and staying power. Don't wear this one if you don't want to be noticed!

Finally…I finally received a frimp or two from the Labbies. Patience pays off my friends!!!

So..this seems to be one of the most popular GC fragrances. Amber. Honey. Vanilla. It seems destined NOT to fail..at least on me. I do love amber…honey I am beginning to respect and vanilla..vanilla is good. Here I go:

Initial sniff from frimp: First whiff I get is of the honey with the amber in the back. Sweet…sticky sweet..almost syrup-like and golden with a touch of something fruity maybe???

Applied wet on skin: It’s honey and amber…with the vanilla rounding up the back. Sure..it’s a sweet blend but the best kind of sweet to me.

Couple of minutes on skin: It’s funny…I sort of got that Play-doh note as well..but it was soft and it interspersed with the drizzly honey and amber and vanilla trio..still liking this very much.

Ten minutes later: Honey has backed off a bit and it’s more amber with the sweet honey echoing faintly..and the vanilla peeping through here and there. Amber works pretty darn well with me and although it is a touch powdery right now it isn’t overwhelmingly so. Seems to linger close to my skin..the throw is very soft.

Drying on skin:Subtle powder note kind of moved on and I am left with the trickle of honey with amber and vanilla. This is a very intimate scent on me…definitely a bit skin-like and although it “seems” sweet and comforting..it takes on a rather sensual vibe. I would agree..this kind of evokes to me the idea of rolling around the bed sheets with flushed skin…heady from ravishing in eachother..but as some other reviewers said not in a degrading way. I wear this and I remember the feeling of anticipation before sinking myself into some serious romping...the exhilaration of pleasure spent with another.

Drydown: Traces of sweet powder, skin scent and vanilla.

Lasting power-5+hours with throw soft.

Bottom Line: O definitely hit its mark with me…I find it a drowsy, sweet, sensual and intimate scent. Because its’ throw is so soft I think I can wear it to work without distracting myself but I am looking forward to wearing it for my closer encounters with my SO. Wearing this reminded me of him…in a very good way. I am keeping my imp..and it’s a strong contender for a 5ml. I think it would be great to layer as well.

O, I am making my :| face at you. :|!!!

In the imp it was this lovely creamy thing with HONEY OMG. I hadn't smelled BPAL honey before and it IS honey. Dead-on and sweet and lush and eeee want!

And then it hit my skin and amber went BOOM POWDER. And I had a faintly sweetly scented... old-lady powder. Oh. Joy.

On the drydown, the powder worked itself off slowly, but never got beyond the :| phase. I got the faintest nudge of honey, but just enough to mock me. Curses!

ETA: Not amber. Honey, actually. Honey is the culprit and I shake my fist at it! I have another company's vanilla-amber blend and it is nice and warm and lovely, and every time I smell it I get mad because I want a BPAL version. And O was SO CLOSE to being that. :P

Edited by modernsaints