Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!

The scent of sexual obsession, slavery to sensual pleasure, and the undercurrent of innocence defiled utterly. Amber and honey with a touch of vanilla.

I guess I am one of the few that didnt get along with O. I so wanted to adore this scent, but I think the amber was too overpowering. It was creamy on my skin during the wet phase but during drydown there was too much amber. I dot get along with some amber but not in this blend.

Booo!!!

Sniffing the bottle I thought I really wouldn't like O. On the skin it is very vanilla and honey. I LOVE this stuff! This is the only BPAL scent that I have really adored so far!

o.jpg

O was not me at all. There is a heavy note of a jasmine which does not do well on myskin, it is an Indian jasmine which I find in some incense. Reminds me of being forced to smell someother woman's musky scent (which isn't something I go in for). I really didn't like the florals in here either, cloying.

Edited by olympia301

Well, O seals it. Honey and I are not meant to be.

For some reason, my skin turns this completely into rancid, sour honey. Why, why, why. I love the smell of actual honey. This smells quite nice in the vial. But the second it touches my skin, it transmogrifies into the same rank scent that Dragon's Milk did.

I guess that Kali only works on me because of the small amount of honey. Time to go weed my wishlist, I suppose. O will go off to swaps. Damn my skin.

Right away, I smell the vanilla. A little later, I get a hint of the honey, with something a little darker/warmer. That must be the amber, which I've never smelled before. I most certainly get the impression of "sensual pleasure" from the honey and vanilla.

I like it okay, but I'm not sure if it's something I would keep. My mom likes vanilla, so maybe I'll see if she likes it.

I can't decide, when I smelled the vial it reminded me of toffe ice cream very sweet smell.

On me there as a strong smell of vanilla but it was very sweet and sickly, on drying the scent changed to honey but still too sweet for me.

I tried again re applying and I am getting a mixture of honey and vanilla, I can't stop smelling my wrist yet I am still not sure if I like it :P

I may put it to one side and try it after my other samples but it may go to a relative.

Sol

Pretty. Very pretty.

The main thing I can smell is the honey, with a dot of vanilla to make it sweeter. I'm sure the amber is there, because the scent is nicely rounded, but my nose can't pick it out. It almost make me think of a fruit honey rather than a floral honey.

This reminds me very much of La Petit Mort, only stonger, sweeter & richer, but without the drop of sex. (Given the description, I'm rather surprised at the lack of sex in this scent.) I need to try layering it with something with some musk or spicyness, that would be amazing.

Can't wait to try this on for my boy. :P

O my heavenly lady.

This scent is not merely sexy. O, my friends and neigbors, is sex. It's unbelievable. This smells exactly like human musk and cotton candy, dirty and sweet, winkingly naughty, like a playful sexual partner. Amazing. It absolutely *screams* "take me to bed!" You'd better know your intentions when you put this on.

In fact, I may have to wash it off before my husband gets home, since it's hardly fair to smell like this when my plan for the evening is to watch the episodes of Lost and Alias that I taped last night. Then again, if I don't wash it off, maybe my ideas for the evening's entertainment will have changed by the time he gets home.... :P

*sigh*

I so desperately wanted to love it - everyone raves so about O that I ordered a 5 ml in one of my recent orders.

I mentioned it whilst talking to another local BPAL-er, who happened to have the dregs of an imp to share, and sadly, to my nose?

Baby powder!

*displeased*

Not what I am looking for.

Wet, I get a treacly fake vanilla scent - like what you'd get if you bought vanilla-scented plastic. As it dries, I am left with amber + baby powder. Ew.

Sadly, not for me.

'Sok, though - with all the delicious things Beth creates, I can't be upset when some of them go badly on me!

I'll give this another try, but right now I'm not liking it.

it smells like Calvin Klein's Obsession to me. Heady and musky and way too dark. I think I'm getting more amber than anything else, because I don't get vanilla at all from this. *sigh*

So far, the only oils I *love are Alice, Sugar Skull, and Sudha.

Olympia301: you nailed it right on the head!!

Edited by Mollypop

I've gotten two different version of this over the years. One version is a very dark, reddish brown oil and the other is a light, almost clear, pale yellow. Obviously very different.

The dark red/brown oil smells deeper, darker and more amber-y and kinda makes me think of a dark chocolate truffle with honeyed cream oozing from the center. It's warm and rich with a warm, amber-y undertone that actually doesn't turn to baby powder on me like almost all of bpal's ambers do.

The pale/clear/yellow-y version smells like a cool honey musk. As it dries down, it actually smells like a floral wildflower honey. I've been getting this clear version more often lately with lab frimps, so I wonder if this is another scent that got randomly reformulated without notice...

Edited by Little Bird

I'm not going to bother with the notes I smelled. Actually they blended very nicely.

The first time I smelled it in the vial I couldn't really smell anything. I put some on and I still couldn't really smell it. A bit later I went to bed. In the morning I could actually smell it and it smelled faint, but really good. Another winning warm skin kind of smell.

I tried it again today. This time I could smell it a little better in the vial. My nose must've been off the first time. But it was still faint. I put it on. Smelled good, but faint. Then after about half an hour it really picked up. Maybe on me this one just needs a little time to warm up. MMMM I like it even more now.

Hmm. I had ...well, weirdness I guess with O.

On the surface, the honey and vanilla with that little bit of something darker and sexier was wonderful. Yet, there was something else, I suppose the scent of sex that people keep talking about that to me was ...acrid.

What clinched it was when my roommate who normally can't smell the broad side of a cow asked me, "What is that? It smells weird."

LOL. I am not happy that it didn't work for me because I liked it at first, just not on me.

Imp: Smells softly sweet, much like...play dough?!

Wet: Okay, more of the same, but a little stronger. I can just barely smell some amber on the bottom.

Drydown: More of the same...but now it's dry playdough with a hint of 'green room' smellm, maybe a bit makeup-y?

Overall: It's an oil that doesn't change on me. I've been wearing it to bed for a few weeks now, and quite honestly, it's a little...blah.

After reading such rave reviews, I'm disappointed that this doesn't work on me. :P

Oro

Honey and sweet vanilla. It works well on me and smells lovely. I don't pick up any floral notes and the amber is muted. Stays fairly stable the whole way through. I do faintly get the "sex" note, whatever it may be. There is a similar note in Vivienne Westwood's "Boudoir".

Lasts well, reasonable sillage.

I don't think I'd wear this one to work though!

:P

In Bottle: Very very sweet, without being foody. I like the vanilla and the faint honey. Amber deepens it a little.

Wet: This is very sweet on my skin. It smells similar to Skuld, but sweeter. I like it so far, but I hope it fades a little.

Dry: Too sweet, I think. Since I've already found Skuld, I think I'll stick with it. They are very similar, O being a little sweeter. It would maybe make a good car scent.

O

In the imp: honey. Pure and simple-this is sweet and honey-like. Possibly amber too, but this is sweet.

Wet on skin: yup, it's honey. It's quite a tart honey smell, but that’s no bad thing, it smells almost like beeswax or honeycomb.

Dry on skin: this reminds me of the honey note in Lush's old honey products, like Honey Waffle and Flying Saucers. It's nice, but it's a really 'close to the skin' smell. I was hoping the amber and vanilla would come through but it's predominantly honey on me.

After a while: hello? Is that vanilla I smell? I think there's a hint of vanilla that comes through after about 5-10 minutes. Can't really smell the amber yet, it's well blended with the other notes…the honey gets even more pronounced though, it's the main note in this blend.

After about half an hour, it's mainly honey with perhaps a bit of amber.

After an hour or two, it's a wonderful yummy honey with...is that amber? I think it could be as it reminds me of my egyptian amber SN slightly, but mingled with honey.

Verdict: this is yummy! This is a sweet, delicious honey note which is distinctive and slightly tart/beeswaxy but not strong or overwhelming. The vanilla adds a nice touch and sweetens it even more. This blend smells lickable! The only problem is that it's very subtle, almost too subtle…but I suppose that's the point-this is something that should be smelt close to the skin. And it's scent improves after an hour when it becomes sexy sweet honey-amber! :P

Edited by yeahbutnobut

I'll admit I'm a slow learner. It has taken me one year of immersing myself in hundreds of BPAL scents to learn what O was all about. When I first smelled this last year I thought: "honey-ish vinegar" and "not-for-me".

TODAY is a different story :D

The LAB - with their infinite wisdom and intuition - kept sending me Imps of O and I kept tossing them aside thinking: "huh, another O?"

Finally, slow learner that I am, I picked one up and put some on. Wow. Totally different reaction - it smelled glorious on me. A couple of posts before me - YBNB said it when she said "sexy sweet honey amber" my thoughts exactly. My husband has commented on it too - so on me it most assuredly has a sillage, he calls me BABY :P when I am wearing this. HA!

O warms and evolves on the skin like nothing else. I don't smell jasmine notes at all - but there is an intimate undercurrent that is so lovely and unusual, one I love so thoroughly, that I have consequently ordered a 5ml. Seductive O clearly needs decanting time...put it on and wait.

Then, wait some more (but not a whole year!).

Once again, there is something so evocative, alchemical and magical about the way Beth crafts & builds her scents, I am always just floored. Never more so then when these fragrances ask to be worn at just the right time and in just the right place. Transformation happens.

ETA: punctuation,etc.

Edited by Shollin

Oh, if only I could smell what other people are getting!

In the bottle, O smelt very musky and a little sour, and I got nothing resembling vanilla or honey. As it was drying, it got a little sweeter, and now I'm content enough to keep it on, but it's still astoundingly musky and musty. Like a tom cat enjoying himself in a beehive.

My skin chemistry is apparently quite odd.

Edit: about three hours after I put it on, it's driving me a bit insane: total sex now! Lovely, it clearly just needed some time to really settle.

Edited by amissa

O is orgasmic, period. And yet, somehow relaxing. I love sleeping with it, and would love to smell it on a guy.

In the vial, it's incredibly sweet. So sweet, I was worried it would give me a toothache. However, the sweetness luckily lasts on me only a heartbeat. And then, it changes into something most wonderful.

I can't go into detail on this scent, because it's too well blended. I can't separate the vanilla, the amber, and honey. It smells like O. Orgasmic.

It is strong - a little bit wafts quite far, and it has longevity - it lasts all night long (this is a big deal for me - most scents fade in the first hour). It is also a very intimate scent. Not intimate in the revealing clothing kind of way, but in the sense of one on one conversations while cuddling by candlelight. While naked. That gradually turns from talking into kissing, from kissing into caressing, from caressing into ...

This is lovemaking that lasts all night, and includes things other than just intercourse. Things like talking, eating (and feeding each other), cuddling, listening to and acting out each other's fantasies. The kind of lovemaking that only happens when you know and trust each other deeply and intensely. This is why I find it relaxing and comforting, yet dead sexy. And this is why I wear it at night when I sleep, and not when I go out, even on the town. This is my private scent. I don't trust that deeply very easily.

Yeah, I think I need a bottle of this.

Edited completely after reading other reviews and being inspired by them.

Edited by Witch's Dagger

This is one of my favorite scents by Beth. It's similar to Serge Lutens Miel Des Bois but it is not $95 a bottle! Honey is the scents that stands out for me, with a background of amber and woods. It has lovely staying power. Just goy my third comped imp of it!!! :P

I'm gonnahave to break down and get a bottle one day.

Wet in the imp this smells- confusing? It's a bit like some type of solvent and also pungent. It goes on smelling like bitter almonds. It is fairly faint and almost a "no smell" smell. After several minutes it begins to smell like sweet cookies. Up to this point I didn't really understand what was so mystical about this blend that everyone was raving about. But after about an hour, this sweetens and deepens. This is the sexy stage!!! It must be the honey and vanilla. I still don't think it smells like actual "human sex" on me but it is very sexy indeed. :P Absolutely wonderful!

I gave this one a go because my husband adores vanilla and honey on me, and I'm growing fond of them myself.

In the bottle: So, so sweet, with just a slightly bitter edge. Intriguing, but not something that I'd wear.

Wet: The amber overwhelms -- which is handy, since I wasn't sure of the scent of it before, and now I know to avoid those blends that are heavy with it. There's the faintest hint of sweetness, but it's far off in the background.

Drydown: Two hours later, this has alchemised into something truly gorgeous. The amber seems to be almost completely gone, and the astringent bitterness has departed with it. What's left is warm sugar and dark, old honey; a balance of sweetness and heat so perfect that I cannot stop sniffing at my wrist. So long as I have an hour or so available before I have to go anywhere, this one is an absolute winner: not so overtly sexual as others have described, but langorous and warm.

After being so sadly disappointed in Kali, I had to try this one out immediately. So, after a good scrubbing with my "BPAL removal soap," I moved onto O in the hopes of finding something yummy to wear out.

In the vial - Oh, amber, amber! Sweet, sweet amber!

Wet - Sweet amber booze, slithering in vanilla. One of those sugary cordial drinks that you share after dinner while running your stocking-clad toes up the inside of your lover's thigh.

Drying - The sweet is toning down, but this is glorious! The vanilla and the amber are just dancing under my nose! Not much throw, but do smell my neck.

Dry (3 hours or so later) - This has some very good throw to it, although it's dried done to mostly a amber glow. There's something else that just is tickling my nose that I can't identify, but I'm tempted to say that it's the honey. Yum.

Overall - This is very much a scent that I enjoy, even if I have to slather it on to be able to smell it well. (My skin is eating the oils again... =/) Not quite as sexual as I had originally thought, but very nice. Most likely a bottle of this in my future.