Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!

The scent of sexual obsession, slavery to sensual pleasure, and the undercurrent of innocence defiled utterly. Amber and honey with a touch of vanilla.

This is either the fifth or sixth day I've worn this scent, trying to work up a review for it and always having mixed feelings. What I can say is that O is a soft, slightly sweet (I did not get the SUPER SUGARY thing some people are reporting) honey blend. It's pretty and femme-y rather than sexy, despite its basis.

On the one hand, I'm not exactly a rabid honey fan; it's always kind of "meh" to me as a smell, as much as I love it in tea. Therefore, I'm not overly excited about O. However, it is quite pretty, and it earned me the most enthusiastic response I've gotten about any BPAL I've worn, which I guess means it smells great on me, if not to me.

So I think I will keep the imp of O that I have for occasional wear. It just didn't blow me out of the water with sex appeal.

In the imp: mostly honey

Wet: Strangely boozy :eek: Definitely wasn't expecting that. Slightly syrupy but with that alcoholic burning in the back of my throat. That could also be the honey, come to think of it.

As it starts to dry down I think I detect a little bit of rose. How odd...

Dry: The honey takes a step back and something sort of floral comes through. Ok now I'm starting to get some sexy. I've smelled sexier BPAL scents though. I'm picking up a vague whiff of vanilla, not very familiar with amber but it does smell burnt yellow/orange.

The verdict: I expected to like this a lot. I think I do like it. It's interesting and the concept definitely comes across, but I'm not sure if I want to smell like it- I think I need a second opinion! I shall have to test the SO's reaction.

O was mostly all honey on my skin, but not a beautiful golden honey. It was a strong, synthetic honey with a very candle-like vanilla instead of the warm, comforting vanilla I really enjoy in other blends. In fact, when I wore it in the car when my family was visiting my uncle turned around and asked who smelled like a candle. And it was strong too! I barely dabbed some my wrists :( I thought after a while it would fade but instead it just kept getting sweeter, but in an almost sickening way. It was a relief to finally wash it off when I got back home.

I guess O and I were just not to be. Ah well, glad I got to try it anyway!

Straight out of the bottle, it smelled very sweet, and overwhelmingly like Cherry Vanilla incense. For several minutes on the skin, it still smelled this way. It's been roughly an hour now, and it has quite tamed into a mix of honey and amber with just that nice little edge of cherry. It might be my imagination, but I swear I get a bit of baker's spice far away and deep into the background. I wear Orofluida hair serum - smells quite strongly of vanilla and amber - and these two together smell just incredible. This is the first time I've found something that goes well with it!

Imp: A slightly dark, slightly smooth honey. Boyfriend said it smelt like a magic shoppish incense, without the darkness or the smoke. Super pretty, sexy and voluptuous.

Wet: Mainly honey, with vanilla in the background. Smooth and sweet. Bit too sweet for me. Waiting for the amber to come in and deepen it, but still lots of promise.

Dry: :( So, turns out I amp amber-babypowder. For the past few hours, it's been all I can smell. I can see the merits of if as a comfort--refuse-to-get-out-of-bed scent, but it's not something that I would see myself reaching for just normally.

However, the Imp smell was gorgeous, so will definitely try it with a locket or hair, because it'd be totally worth it. <3

In the imp: smells like very spicy honey.

Wet on my skin: doesn't change too much from the imp smell -- still smells like spicy honey.

Dried: The spiciness recedes a bit, and it gets a little bit more amber-ish. It smells like not-too-sweet honey, like buckwheat honey or one of the more robust honeys. I don't get a lot of vanilla at all, so I guess I'm glad it wasn't that note I was after.

On the whole, I really adore this one -- it's a sexy smell, and definitely not too sweet. It also has really good lasting power; I still smelled it on my hand the morning after I tested it.

In the imp: YO, cherry cough syrup. But exactly. I am a little terrified.

Wet: Not cherry cough syrup, thank God. Almost immediately musky, on my skin. A little vanilla, not a lot of honey. Husband says it smells "sexy" and "like cherry incense" (WTF). I'm guessing the vanilla + honey is making him think of a darkly sweet cherry, and the amber is the resinous incense-like note. A sweet but definitely not flowery smell, pretty musky and dark on me.

Drydown: I spilled TWO THIRDS of a NEW bottle all over so for a while it was impossible for me to smell the perfume itself! Still musky, a bit sweeter, but more vanilla, less honey. Usually honey works well on me (I love Athens) so not sure what is happening here, unless I'm amping the hell out of the amber. This blended really well, and was a very pretty scent. It didn't seem to morph and I couldn't pick out the individual notes much. Not at all a foody scent, which works for me because I really don't like those much.

Hours later: More musky, maybe a faint powdery scent from the amber, no honey. I don't think the honey ever really came out on me, unless it was very very subtle. Not much throw from the start, but a fair amount of staying power.

The verdict: Definitely a sexy scent. I wouldn't want to wear it on a job interview -- maybe a serious date, or on a sexy afternoon. It's nice, but it doesn't really wow me like Athens or Bathsheba (two all-time favourites). Then again....given the way my husband reacted, maybe I'll replace my spilled bottle! Or, since this is related to Snake Oil, I might try that again (it's been quite a while) to see if I can get that heavier sweeter scent I thought O would be.

Edited by theredshoes

In the Bottle: Honey and vanilla. Very, very sweet. Almost a sickly sweet. :nervous:

Wet: Medicinal honey. I'm getting some amber, as well. But still, it's MEDICINAL. :uhuhuh:

Drydown: This is not pleasant on my skin AT ALL. It has turned ickier. Is that a word? :lol: And to top it all off, it has a medium throw. Strangely enough though, this didn't turn powdery as honey usually does on me. I had such high hopes for this, but it's turned rancid.

1/5

Edited by sisi33

My husband can't stop sniffing me when I wear this. For that reason I am for sure buying the big bottle. (I don't suppose they sell like a bucket full do they?)

Wet it smells like honey and vanilla. At this stage the amber isn't very strong.

As it drys the amber comes out strong. The amber does want to turn to powder on me in this, but not in the typical powder smell kinda way. Its sweet not baby powder-ish.

The throw isn't all that strong. If I place this in my hair, it helps with the throw but the smell of the oil is different. In my hair it's straight up honey and vanilla no amber at all. After a few hours the vanilla is the strongest note. I amp vanilla so I'm sure that is why.

O does not want to last that long on me, but most scents don't with my chemistry. I don't mind, I can always put more on. My husband loves this so much I may have to start making sure this is a staple I keep around. I mean seriously he can't stop sniffing my wrist.

Oh my god. This smells like a bottle of really expensive vanilla musk I inherited from my grandmother. There's no honey notes on me, which is absolutely fine because they tend to be too sweet for my preference. At this point I'm just huffing my wrist and nearly drooling. Such a keeper, may need a bottle.

This scent reminds me of an older, attractive, accomplished woman who knows how to be feminine.

It's wholesome, it's sweet and complex.

On the bottle it smells like lemon sherbet with lots of honey.

On my body it smells like honey caramel, then turns into merry, sporty sex until it fades to a mellow cough syrup :(

Gorgeous climax nonetheless.

EDIT: Tried it today once again after several months of O-abstinence, and then listened to "Electric Feel" by MGMT. I've never felt so sexy in my life!

Edited by NuadaVixen

In the decant, I definitely got a smooth vanilla resiny kind of vibe. When I wore it, I could barely detect it on my skin till after it warmer up, then it smelled like baby powder for some reason. Its nice, just not what I was expecting after smelling it out of the vial.

In the imp:

Almondy and ambery. A bit foody, a bit cakey. Can't really smell the vanilla or honey but pretty.

As it dries:

Scratchy and vanilly, a little hollow but overall warm and pleasant. Doesn't seem to have much of a sense of obsession or sex, though. Innocence, sure.

Slighty sweet but it's fading into something with more of an edge.

Dry:

It's gone a little plasticky, but that seems to go awar. Smells mostly of woody, dry golden amber but with a touch of vanilla and honey, and it seems a bit monotonal for a while but then I'll catch a scent of sweetness that reassures me.

Throw:

It seems to have medium throw.

Lasting:

Lasts a couple of hours fairly strongly and fades a little after that, but still stays quite pleasant, if a bit powdery.

Conclusion:

I like it, my partner likes it quite a lot, it's warm and just has an edge that gets under your skin (not literally). Sort of hangs like an atmosphere rather than a perfume, gives an aura of warm sexuality.

In imp: creamy honey amber

On skin: takes on a slightly powdery tone with a light drift of what smells like musty sandalwood to me. Amber?

Drydown: powdery amber creaminess

Verdict: Wasn't terribly exciting but I do like it, I've tried Womb Furie and this seems like a less sexy version of that. Perhaps I just need to try it again.

This is another bottle that I've bought unsniffed, and I am once again pleasantly surprised.

I've read several descriptions of what how this oil would smell, and I assumed that it would be a musk like vanilla-ish scent with an undercurrent of body sweat - which would be interesting in and of itself.

What I love about this scent is how different it is from the bottle to the skin. When I first opened the bottle, the scent I caught was cherries and almonds. On the skin it turned into a spicy scent, similar to Snake Oil, but with cinnamon instead of vanilla.

The dry down was also interesting. O started to morph into a spicy, chocolately scent. It stayed that way until the end, where it suddenly morphed into a vanilla-like skin scent that stayed close to the skin.

So, in a way, it is like the scent of post-coital sweat, but a pleasant interpretation of said sweat. It morphs into all of those things that are deemed oh-so-lickable, like cherry juice drizzeled on top of almonds, on top of melted chocolate, with sultry cinnamon at the center.

This is definitely a rebuy. :)

Edited by EricthoDesalamander

Slightly salty amber swirling in honeyed warmth, a hint of animalic Je Ne Sais Quoi, velvety vanilla... The more it dries down, the sexier it gets. I can never be without a back up bottle of this.

O Fresh from the lab ...

In the imp: Smelled sweet and musky

On my skin: Smelled cloyingly sweet and of ... baby powder? Were did that come from!?

On drydown: Very sweet baby powder - it tingles my nose

I found this perfume changes drastically within 6 or so months from first sniff.

Aged, I find O morphs into a sweet muskiness. I don't get the vanilla or honey notes others have picked up on, but I still really like this.

I'll have to get a bottle and age it before I can wear it :)

Wait, I haven't tested this? I got O from a forumite months ago (maybe as long ago as autumn of last year, I can't quite remember!) and I guess I put it aside and forgot about it, haha.

Let's see how this smells...

OMG :thud: This is the same honey in the Hair Loosened and Soiled in Mid Orgies hair gloss! I looooove that honey, it's so delicious and sweet. :wub2: But while that honey has musk to keep it sultry, there's something making this sweeter. The vanilla? If that's the case, then this is a super well-behaved vanilla. No plastic here like in Snake Oil!

The amber is coming out to play now, too, and it's making the blend more sophisticated as a whole. But my darling, sweet honey is still dominating, which is absolutely perfect. :heart:

Oh wowwww, this is a definite bottle purchase when I have the cash for it! O, you and I are going to be the best of friends. :wub2:

This was one of my first BPAL disappointments!

I ordered this earlier as a rec from people on the forums for vanilla and amber lovers. I got snake oil in the same order and LOOOOOVEEEE it, so I figured O would be the same right?

Wrong. Ooooohhh so wrong. (Pun!)

It smells like cherries. At this point I got afraid because I have since learned "almond" and "honey" notes smell like bad cherry syrup to my nose! (Hony Mone, O, Dragon's Milk, all of them did that!) I soldiered on and put it on anyway.

YUP. Ugh! Rancid honey cherry almond! :cry2: And to top it off the throw is crazy on me so it's in my face constantly.

I'll give it this, after a little the honey dries down and the amber comes out to make it slightly less cloying, but still not even close to wearable for me, let alone close to sexy. :thud:

First sniff: honey, dripping down a vanilla pod. Mostly liquid honey, with just the thought of vanilla in there

30 minutes in: the vanilla is gone, but something warm and woodsy is mingling with the honey.. Amber, j'adore.

After a couple of hours: sweet warm honey and a bit of mellow amber, the honey outstays the amber and slowly fades away after about six hours.

What's strange to me is that the first time I tried this I didn't think much of it. Second time I tried it though, I could appreciate it so much more. Yes, as mentioned before, it IS sexy, it IS cloying, and most of all, it's honey. If you like sweet, warm, honey smells, or if you just like to feel edible, then give this a try, maybe even two tries. You may just love it.

In the imp: cherries, an undercurrent that smells a little like sour milk? Must be the honey...yep, it's honey

Wet on Skin: Milk scent is gone entirely. Still smells a bit cherry like, and spicy vanilla

Dry down: cherry goes after 10 minutes or so, replaced by vanilla, rather sweet, a bit like snake oil in its spiciness.

Dry: Slightly floral, slightly spicy, mostly sweet vanilla.

On me, not much throw, moderate staying power. I do like how the musk, honey, and vanilla blend together, creating a warm, rich, velvety scent. Yes, this scent reminds me of red velvet. Why doesn't that read as sexy to me, though??? *is weird* I think silk is sexier than velvet, maybe that's why...

I think this will also get better with age. I prefer it to Snake Oil. I don't find it particularly sexy, but it's pleasant and light (on me, anyway!) I'll let it age and see how it goes, the imp is only a couple weeks old and I can all ready smell a difference...and it's getting!

I just got an imp of this with my order, and it was the first one I grabbed to test.

In the bottle, I could barely smell anything- it had the slightest hint of amber and not much else.

Once I put it on skin though, it was a strong punch of very strong honey, which lasted about half an hour, then transitioned into vanilla.

*sigh* I can't wear sweet scents because they always make me feel sick pretty quickly. I'm giving imp away because I'll never be temped to try this out again.