Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!

The scent of sexual obsession, slavery to sensual pleasure, and the undercurrent of innocence defiled utterly. Amber and honey with a touch of vanilla.

imp: vanilla honey. YUMMY!

wet: Thick, sticky honey.

dry down: more resiny...uh oh I smell play doh! My boyfriend took once sniff and said "yep that's play-doh" Now it smells like salty vanilla.

NOOOOO so much playdoh! I wonder what note causes this? I'm not experienced enough to know, but hopefully I'll find out soon enough. It can't be the honey, I've tried that note in other scents and have loved them.

Sad, this scent smelled absolutely amazing in the imp and while it was wet.

O is sweet vanilla honey with some sexyness underneath and it makes you wanna say OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOHHHHHHHHHH!

But I have the feeling O is the little, slightly more silent sister of Snake oil.

Snake oil punches you in the face with its strong sexyness and tells everyone around you: she may be beautiful but this girl got some balls so watch out!

Snake Oil is the kind of scent that makes you think of grabbing this beautiful man infront of you and dragging him into a dark room to push him agains a wall and have your way with him.

O doesnt have all these spices so its like snake oil without teeth. it seduces you but it doesnt bite.

O makes you take the hand of that same man infront of you and seducing him slowly and carefully. wispering forbidden things in his ear.

That beeing said i prefer my perfume having some balls so I prefer snake oil. but when i want to be a bit more silent and still sexy i like reaching for O.

I also like layering O with Snake oil because O tones it down a bit.

There will be a bottle in my future. but nor to near future since O is to simular to snake oil and a bit to silend for my taste.

Edited by DahliaHayashi

I was a bit hesitant with this one, since Snake Oil went funky on me and I heard that O is it's sister/cousin. Thankfully, it's friendlier than its relative. On me it's a soft buttery body lotion- sweet but sensual. I'm a bit despairing of its weak throw though (body chemistry, how you fail me). I slathered quite generously on my neck and wrist, but half an hour in the only way I could smell anything was if I press my nose against my wrists (can't quite reach my neck).

Verdict: Probably no future bottle, but I'll keep the imp for secret sniffing sessions. ;)

Two years later I had to edit this review, as my BPAL tastes have changed greatly!

Trying O now, I find it far too sweet for me. The honey is a particularly cloying one, and the vanilla gives this an almost plastic edge that I do not care for at all.

We are no longer friends, O and I.

Edited by OctoberGwen

In the imp: Oil is clear, and is a deep reddish amber color. The scent is super-sweet honey, almost floral in character.

On me: For a while, I mostly smelled the honey, with just a bit of vanilla and amber in the background. It is a golden-brown kind of scent, and so sweet that to my tastes it is a little cloying. But still pleasant, and all three of the notes complement each other beautifully. Later on in the drydown, the amber takes over as the dominant note and I like it even more. The vanilla is there, but is never the main note, which is another thing I like about this. The throw and longevity are about average for a BPAL.

My rating: 4 stars

O was thrown in as a frimp and I cannot thank the lab enough. After snake oil went medicinal on me I wasn't likely to get around to trying it anytime soon, and that would have been a mistake.

(first time wearing it)

Wet: Whoa Amber! I suddenly have a strong memory of a large bottle perfume that my Grandmother used to have - this smells exactly like it. I wonder what it was? (note - my Grandmother is the sassy and strong type, not the tea and doilies type)

Drydown: It's amber. It's sexy. ...but not my kind of sexy.

Dry: Hello Honey! Oh boy - the honey is taking over and I like it! For a moment this is pure honey, and then the amber returns as a supporting character and very slowly the vanilla sneaks in too. Wow is this nice. It becomes softer and sweeter with the amber giving it a sexy kick. Truly beautiful.

My second time wearing it the honey is present from the get-go and I love every second of it. This might not be an everyday scent but it is certainly a go-to for special "O"-ccasions ;)

In the bottle this smelled like straight-up honey to me. Certainly not unpleasant, but nothing that wowed me, either.

After I put it on, and it had a chance to warm up and react with my body chemistry, this turned into a warm, honeyed, musky vanilla. I've read through some of the other reviews, and this doesn't smell like sex to me (other than being musky). To me it's sensual rather than sexual. It beckons and envelops and entices. I really like it. It's the kind of smell that I'd enjoy on my sheets as I curled up to read a book in bed or to cuddle with Husband.

I'm probably not going to order a big bottle of it now, but that's primarily because I'm a N00b, and I'm still working my way through the catalog of BPAL scents. I could very easily see coming back around in six months time and adding this to my permanent collection.

Edited to add: After wearing this for about four hours, the smell is starting to bother me. It's changed further, and has become flat vanilla candle. Not bad, but not for me.

Edited by Dgrrrl

i'd heard SO much about O...after reading the description, it seemed like it's popularity was well-earned. i dig amber...vanilla and honey seem to be ok on me as well, so i decided to get an imp with my most recent order.

in the imp: when i first smelled it, i thought "ugh, TOO SWEET!" but my sweetie encouraged me to give it a shot. "you're always saying it changes with your body chemistry, so maybe you'll like it." he's a clever one...

wet: and, of course, he was right! i put it on and the amber amped right up on me and opened up quite nicely. the vanilla and honey were definitely THERE, but they were just kind of floating along underneath...nothing too overwhelming and definitely not cloyingly sweet, as i'd feared. then i got an odd little whiff of something that was somehow familiar...play-doh?! NOOOOES!! "maybe it will go away", i told myself.

dry: well, the bad news is, there is definitely still a lingering play-doh smell on my wrists and elbow creases, although the elbow spots have morphed into kind of a yellow-cake smell, so that's not TOO terrible. the good news is, i also put a few drops on my fingers and ran them through my damp hair and that is still as sweet-amber-gorgeous as when i first applied it.

verdict: it's quite lovely, but i don't think it's for me. i have successfully worn amber and honey together in other scents, so i am thinking it is the addition of the vanilla that makes it go play-doh for me. i'll keep the imp, but the remainder will be worn in my hair or a locket.

This smells so nice in the imp - like a smooth body butter. It smells kind of caramel-y :smile:

I am quite new to bpal and I am learning that Amber doesn't really agree with me. O turns dry and powdery on me, and very sweet. Nice in the imp and I can imagine it would smell nice on someone else ... but sadly, not on me.

ETA: I have kept my imps for a few months and wow, this is so much nicer after a bit of time. It's no longer dry and powdery its warm and comforting - I will have to get some more just to age it for a while.

Edited by becca_s

When I first sniffed my 5ml bottle of O I was pretty sad to be quite honest. I couldn't smell much of anything. I mean it was like, "Where is this gorgeous, sexy mind-boggling scent everyone has been raving about? Did I get a dud?" So, I set it aside, made an imp to see if I could age it any quicker and months later, I am here to report:

"O"MG!! This has turned into the syrupy sticky goodness that Snake Oil does upon aging. And scent wise? WAY better than it was fresh! I mean, light years better. It's developed into such a gorgeous, creamy honey blend with amber, perhaps vanilla even, but it works with just about everything and smells friggin' amazing by itself. The imp turned out PERFECTLY. (To noobs: if you wanna age a blend really quickly, make an imp out of it) O is now all gooey and has the most amazing throw, and holy shit, a little dab will do you ya- and that's just from my imp. My bottle is coming along really nicely, too. Same thickening effect. Getting nice and gooey and much stronger.

So, don't fret if you are on the fence about this straight from the lab. Give it some time...It needs to get better with age to unlock it's full potential. And the potential is limitless!

edited: due to spelling

Edited by mimieux

I am kidding you not-this scent is amazing :rasp:

Comforting, cuddling honey. It last very long, too and it doesn't change much at all, which I actually like. Honeycomb on me, slightly artificial, but in a very lovely way :unsure:

Based on the reviews alone I was planning on ordering a full size of O unsniffed. My order came yesterday and I got a frimp of O from the lab with it! I was so excited when I saw it that I almost cried. I thought for sure I would love this.

In the imp I smell honey. just plain dry honey. Almost like a honey dust.

I put it on and within one minute all I get is powder. Actually that's a lie. I smell a bit of dry honey dust....dusky is a good way to describe it. I let my husband smell this on me and he said it doeant smell like sex it smells like the babies room lol...which I guess is baby powder . I Agree with him as well...its a very baby powder scent on me with a faint aura of dry honey powder.

Everybodiea body chemistry is different...but now all ai can associate this scent with is babies....not lust or sexuality or anything of the sort.

I have another scent called Spellbound Woods from Solstice Scents ...and the drydown of that is identical to how O smells.

This isn't for me and I'm sad..ill try the imp again after my pregnancy is over and see if it gets any better !

I'm unsure about this one - I can tell it has the POTENTIAL to be gorgeous, but I have a lab fresh imp, so I am going to let it age for a bit - My first impressions of testing it while fresh, is that the honey, is sort of a dirty beeswaxy honey...and the vanilla is not strong enough yet to overtake it. I didn't *hate it* at this stage, I could tell that it'll be a much more well rounded scent after a few months, so I am going to retest a little later on and make a better review -

Honey + amber = red musk to my nose. Dead-on red musk, if I'm not thinking about it too hard. To me, this smells a lot like Smut -- as in, almost identical to it. If you're looking for a GC equivalent to Smut without so much of the hit-you-over-the-head booziness/sugar, this would be your best bet.

That being said, red musk-ish things don't get along with my skin, and this is rather overpowering. Goodness!

Out of the imp: Perhaps I'm just weird, but I'm getting a cough syrupy kind of smell? It's sweet...just not a good kind of sweet.

Dry on skin: Vanilla mixed with Robitussin...yep.

I wanted to like this one. I wanted to LOVE this one....unfortunately "O" does not love me :cry2: I cant get past it smelling like cough syrup to me.

Fresh lab imp of O - just received! O is the first one I skin-tested from this batch, and that's saying something, because I had 12 ordered imps and 17 frimps in this batch!! Plus 9 bottles including some unsniffed Shungas. (17 frimps, OMG :thud: ).

Wet: Vanilla honey, but without the musty/dusty smell I sometimes get from honey - nice, but not exciting

Drying: More amber coming out - beginning to like this more and more...

Half an hour - Very well blended amber, honey, and a touch of vanilla. A very warm, comforting scent for me, I see me wearing this a lot in the winter, actually, and as OctoberGwen said above, it'll be great for layering. Don't know about a bottle just yet, but I can see why it's a staple in a lot of people's collections.

Finally got to try this, after being able to try the protos first XD

In imp: definitely honey, amber, and vanilla. It's sweet and creamy and full-bodied and quite sensual, rather luxurious.

Wet on skin: this is very well blended. Each note comes up fleetingly but then melds back in with the rest. The amber is starting to turn to powder on me however, turning the blend into mostly powdered honeyed vanilla.

Dry: powdery--this probably has the most amber between O v5 and O v6. It's sweetly-smelling honey and vanilla powder, soft and pleasant, which does have its charms.

Verdict: oh well! It was a good try. The end result is rather pleasant, even though it is powdery.

It sounded so promising, but on me, it's baby powder with undertones of curdled milk and dirty laundry. Not sexy dirty, just "back from a long stressful trip" dirty. I think the problem may be the honey.

To my nose: Smellsjust like A Wonderful Light does in the bottle. Creamy, thick honey and vanilla!

On me: It'ssooo honeysweet. I get a tad of alcohol in this one wet. I hope it will settle into the samelovely creamyness that AWL has!

After a few minutes: Almostnauseating sweet, but it works great with the woodiness coming from Velvet!

Hours later: O doesn't change at all on my skin. It just warms up, gets all cozy and stuff. Itdoes smell just like AWL on me, warm smooth vanilla and honey all day long! Ican still smell it 10 hours later.

Edited by Missy_killer

In the imp: Intense sweetness.

Wet: Honey and amber. So sweet!

Dry: Reminds me a lot of Possets The Girls Love Vanilla. I can see why so many people like it, but idk, it's just a bit sweet for me.

In the vial, "innocence defiled utterly" is absolutely right. Sweet, almost sickly sweet, with something darker and more sinister permeating through. Dries down into a less pungent scent on skin. Gradually over a couple hours turns to baby powder. ): And I wanted so desperately to love this too...

I got an imp of this in a recent swap and it is amazing!! In the imp it was very heavy on the honey, which worried me as honey has a tendency to turn very green on my skin. But as soon as the wand hit my wrist, the honey blended so beautifully with the amber and vanilla that I immediately added it to my purchase pending list. Then I proceeded to run around my house, shoving my wrist under peoples noses, saying, "SMELL MEEEE!!" Haha. The best part is that when my boyfriend hugged me he couldn't stop talking about how amazing I smelled! He said that this is not only his favorite bpal scent, this is his favorite of all my perfumes! He even offered to buy me a bottle!! :) He said that all my other oils make me smell like a hippie and this one makes me smell like, "a vanilla goddess!!" his words, not mine. :wub: And, I don't know about anyone else, but when I wear this he can't seem to keep his hands off me! :blush: I think I'm gonna buy a back up of this... just in case. ;)

I thought I should try O because just about everyone making a top ten of popular scents puts it in. I know now that I don't like O. I am not a great fan of honey scents to begin with, unless they have a good balance with something else like Harikata. O is simply too sweet for me. I might have enjoyed the amber and vanilla without the honey. I might even have enjoyed the honey and vanilla without the amber. But the three of them is just too much.

Considering all awesome reviews , I was expecting a lot out of this one. It just didn’t deliver on the sexiness part. O - is all honey and vanilla babypowder while wet on my skin but eventually fades to just powdery honey. That's particularly a shame since the bit on my wrist lasted ALL DAY LONG.

I like honey and I might just keep wearing the imp but …it’s more cute than it is sensual.

I remember getting a frimp of it in my last order and i was so happy and ecstatic i didn't have to purchase it. I remember people on the forum were smitten with this scent and praising it like there was no tomorrow :D

When i tried it on for the first time, i admit it was tad too sweet for my taste and i usually tolerate sweet scents. I suddenly imagine massive amounts of honey drizzled with here and there with amber. It was a rich scent all the way. I put the imp back and thought i'd gift to a girlfriend of mine, but i was hesitant because it was O and all the good love that it got from this forum, i just didn't want to part with it that soon.

Come late June 2012, i tried it on a summer night and OMG, i got those honey ambery clouds wafting around me and it was so delicious and surreal and all the summer heat around me amplified the smell and sensations. Sigh, but it's still a tad too sweet...i kind of get embarrassed wearing overtly sweet scents, but O just begs to be worn unconditionally. What can i do? :dance:

Edited by theredkilt