Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!

Compassion, eloquence, introspection: Chinese musk and rain, with salty oceanic notes, frankincense, juniper berry, lily of the valley, lavender, cinquefoil, and sweet pea.

Usually, the aquatic scents aren't a big hit with me. They generally just smell clean to me. I mean, I like smelling clean as much as the next guy -- it's better than the alternative -- but I don't wear perfume to smell clean, I wear perfume to smell like something else.

This one is a bit different, though. Sure, it smells aquatic, but it's softer than aquatics usually are on me. It's sweet and floral and a bit herby in addition to the water notes. More feminine than aquatics usually are. It seems like it has a bit of an airy quality in addition to the watery quality.

This is probably one of my favorites of the aquatics.

Very watery, aquatic as one would expect. Sweet juniper is strong in this blend, but the lavender is also a top note on my skin. As it dries, becomes less sweet and more salty ocean-like.

Primarily Chinese musk and aquatic notes. It's a clean scent, a touch masculine. Not something I'll wear.

All I'm getting from this one is cologne - no undertones, just sort of in your face bright smell. More masculine.

Very clean aquatic at first with nice hints of the sweet juniper. As it warms, I can detect more of the florals (more sweet pea please!) and it is quite pretty. Unfortunately, this scent is also disappointingly light. :(

Overall, it's very pretty and I might be tempted if I see a bottle up for sale at some point.

In vial: Aquatic!

Wet: Juniper berry, much smoother than straight up juniper normally seems to me. I could learn to like juniper if it was like this.

Dry: The Chinese musk & salty notes pop out, warm yet refreshing at the same time. Nice but tending to turn rather soapy.

Verdict: Still haven't found the aquatic that thrills me. Ah well.

Sniffed: A mix of blue aquatic notes, fresh juniper berry, and dewy florals.

On skin: Water Phoenix is a rainy, calm aquatic laced through with the fresh, cold green-ness of juniper berry. The latter burns away quickly with drydown, and light, watery "green" florals peek out, lily and sweet pea being most prominent. I'm pleased that the aquatic notes remain consistent over time, unlike other similar blends I've tested, where the aquatic notes burn off rapidly with drydown. Water Phoenix is a graceful, serene, floral-aquatic blend that really does evoke a calmly running river, and the introspection and benevolence of its description. Colour impression is calm blue-green touched with earthy brown, like a calmly running river.

Verdict: I thought I was quite settled with all my favourite aquatic scents, so I'm surprised to discover this lovely Water Phoenix! It's a fine blue-aquatic that holds it watery scent and does evoke running water. I'll have to death-match it with my favourite aquatics, it may just displace some of them...

This is my first time exploring an aquatic scent, and wow I love it!

In the bottle: Green and blue, don't know how else to describe it... salt water and greenery, lush, I'm not getting cologne from this at all.

Wet on skin: Like in the bottle, but softening with frankincense and juniper berry. Not getting any florals or sweet pea, which is excellent.

Dry down: I guess some floral is coming out, but it's... murky? Like submerged in dark water at night. Not a fan of florals but this is nicely blended with water and musk, it does not smell girly or flowery. Also lavender is coming out. Juniper comes out later and give it a nice sweetness. Over time it mellows out and aquatic notes are not as sharp. More juniper coming out. I really like this blend! It does not go soapy or cologne on me. I never get a sweet pea smell. Keeper.

Very happy this was the first BPAL aquatic note I tried and no regrets buying the bottle. Not something I'd wear everyday, I prefer incense scents. Unisex bordering on masculine, but not so masculine that I feel like a dude wearing it. I like the throw on this more than close to the skin smelling, the throw is a bit warmer, must be the frankincense, a note I always love. More frankincense as it fades, love it.

Edited by MarlaMoreau

This is surprisingly not very aquatic on me. A little hint of salt, maybe, but mostly a sweet and wistful floral with a touch of frankincense. I'm glad I took a chance on this in a swap :)

Smells like a particularly clean stretch of ocean, beautiful, like it had flowers floating all along the top. Like a water garden.

On my skin, salty water, musk, and juniper are the most powerful notes. Becomes more cologne-like and more rain-like as it dries.