Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!

Compassion, eloquence, introspection: Chinese musk and rain, with salty oceanic notes, frankincense, juniper berry, lily of the valley, lavender, cinquefoil, and sweet pea.

Water phoenix, of all the elemental blends is the most beautiful. It smells like the color of blue and green water....with just a hint of fruitiness. I think it's the juniper berry. The rain smells divine, but the lavendar keeps this from morphing too much into a soapy smell. I love it....and I am so glad that I have a bottle. :P

Water phoenix, of all the elemental blends is the most beautiful. It smells like the color of blue and green water....with just a hint of fruitiness. I think it's the juniper berry. The rain smells divine, but hte lavendar keeps this from morphing too much into a soapy smell. I love it....and I am so glad that I have a bottle. :P

I completely agree with this description. It *is* a mix of blue and green waters. I can catch a hint of the juniper. As it dries further, the florals come out a bit more and there is a sweetness that helps to balance the aquatic scent. The lavender is there more on the tail end, along with a faint saltiness. It reminds me of a light rain shower on a garden near the beach.

This is just gorgeous. I am so very happy I got a bottle. :D

(And good throw, without being overpowering.)

Bottle: Oooooo....deep and aquatic. I love sniffing it but I'm a little nervous it'll end up manly

Wet: Still very aquatic and beautiful. Not really masculine, either, which is nice

Drydown: Heaven. It's blue and beautiful and just what I'd hoped. The Juniper Berry is SO pretty and the lavender isn't taking over like it has a tendency to do on my skin. There's a throw to it, but I'm unlikely to cause anyone running for the hills. It's so vibrant I can't even tell there's musk in it. It's just a gorgeous, grounded scent that I would bathe in if it wouldn't put me in bankruptcy.

Glad I took the plunge and trusted the description to buy a bottle sans imp :P

OMG total aquatic love...

Same in the imp and wet, juniper berry aquatic goodness.

On drydown the lavender comes up a bit more but still fresh aquatic heavenliness. <3 :P

Edited by BlackTauna

bottle: watery juniper. very pretty.

wet: i am not a huge fan of aquatics in general but whoa does this smell good. i don't know if it's the sweet pea or the lily or what but this smells so watery and sweet and floral.

dry: this is very watery/grassy once dry. i'll have to make sure to apply sparingly because this is strong and long-lasting.

In the bottle, I smelled rain and juniper.

On me, it only took a minute for the lavender to shove it's way forward. Since I don't mind lavender, that's ok for a start, but, I hope other notes start showing up soon.

Lavender, rain, frankincense, and juniper... by the sea. It is relatively strong, and it seems like a scent that might last well, even now in the winter when many scents just aren't.

Bottle: Wet juniper leaves

Wrist: Unfortunately my wrist now smells like I just washed it with Irish Spring. Extremely, almost vomit inducing soapy :P I had high hopes for this one, but it is not to be.

This one is very salty and aquatic (duh!) I'm not a huge aquatic fan. It sort of reminds me of Aeaea.

I'll keep my partial to see how it ages.

in the vial- strong aquatic note, plus juniper.

wet on skin-it's the same, but the juniper is coming out a bit more now, balancing the aqua more.

dry down-the juniper is gone, all that's left is salty tears. :D

in all-although it's probably well documented by this point that i am no aquatic fan, this is something pretty special. the addition of the salt note changes the aqua into something i actually like- the smell of the ocean, which is a sacred place for me. i figured i'd wind up getting a bottle of this for ritual use, and i'm glad it smells like sea water, because it couldn't be more perfect. i also suspect that when the summer comes, i may be *quite* receptive to wearing this on days i visit the ocean.

:P

Wet and drying: Irish Spring soap

Dried: Sort of like rain, and sort of like shower gel ... like showering under a waterfall, maybe?

I tried this in the desperate hope that maybe THIS one would smell like beach (it doesn't), 'cause at this point I'll try anything water-y just to see. Yet again, it's not what I'm looking for ... but for what it is, it's not bad. As someone who's smelled about a bajillion aquatics at this point, it's one of the nicest ones I've found, even if it's not for me.

In Bottle - smells like this men’s cologne I used to love, cool water it was called maybe? My friend Vicky used to wear it all the time because she loved the refreshing scent.

Wet on skin - I smell the salt and the juniper, maybe a hint of musk, but I defiantly get a oceanic feeling from this. Its kind of sharp at first.

Drydown - Soft salty juniper a hint of musk. I really like it, it’s a very sophisticated water scent.

Overall - Being a water sign in the western zodiac I feel its qualities quite nicely fit me, it has all the salty blue feelings I could want from a aquatic scent. I'm hoping my eastern sign Fire Phoenix works out as well for me!

Water Phoenix is stunning. Musk with notes of rain and ocean mingle together makes a sweet and salty combination that is very soft and aquatic. Frankincense provides depth and rounds out the juniper berry and flowers. Lavender is present at first but combined with sweet pea and Lily of the Valley, it settles down instead of overpowering. Not that I wouldn't mind, I adore lavender.

Overall Water Phoenix is soft, sweet, aquatic and depending on one's skin chemistry could come across as unisex.

In bottle/imp: Salty soap.

Immediately on skin: All I really get from this is soapy salt water and a touch of light florals. It’s not very complex on my skin.

After a little while: This gets a little depth to it as I wear it; the frankincense comes out just a touch and there’s a glowing resinous note far behind the salty water. The floral part of this is light, but it gives it a slight perfuminess.

Overall Impressions: This scent will be much loved by those who like salty aquatics I think, though it doesn’t have much complexity to my nose. I think the salt water amped up a bit and I lost just about everything else besides some light far away florals and a touch of resin after a while.

This is nice, fresh greenery, light florals and rain. However, it's a bit strong on me and if worn for very long would probably give me a headache. Sadly, must pass on this one. :(

In the imp: Light aquatic notes with faint florals and frankincense

Wet on skin: Here come the florals--light and not at all soapy

Dry on skin: Sour, salty dryer sheets, then gone in about an hour

:cry2:

I need more of the water element in my life and really wanted to love this one.

In the bottle: Colourless oil. Sharply aquatic, cologney-aftershave. A bit herbal too (lavender and juniper). Rain, musk, and a hint of salt.

Wet: Softer, gentler, saltier. Still rather masculine, but wearable. There's a bit of sweetness (I think from frankincense and juniper) and a hint of florals.

Dry: Lavender has amped, making this harsher and more medicinal, and the sweet pea has turned to sweet powder as it usually does. LotV is a bit stronger and heady.

Later: The musk is very gentle but sexily unisex, and when it emerges it really ties every element together beautifully and seamlessly.

Summary: A light, pleasant unisex to masculine cologne that morphs very little, at least on my skin. Fresh herbs, rain, and ocean with faint sweet frankincense and vaguely powdery-heady florals. Though truthfully it's difficult to pick out individual elements from this well-blended, rather delicate scent. Lower throw and longevity.

Nice, but not amazing and rather weak.

straight sniff from imp...salty rain; heavenly sweet florals.... :P

once applied this is the *best* watery blend that beth has ever created...don't get me

wrong...

it is insanely sweet; not candy;but aquatic sea notes and big fat raindrops; succulent...these drops do not

disappear but get better with a few moments of wear....strong sillage...a touch of lavender...dooods....

heaven ....i'm in heaven....

if you are not a fan of beth's watery/aquatic blends, i highly suggest giving this a whirl....you will

be miraculously amazed...

In imp: RAIN. Yummy.

Wet on skin: The aquatics come out instantly, don't get a lot of the remainder of the notes.

Dry on skin: The lavender comes out more, the lily of the valley stays in the background, tempered by the frankincense. It's a nicely balanced scent, but the throw is practically nonexistent.

10 minutes later: Gone. :( Shame, I liked this one. I dunno if this is worth a full bottle or not, just based on how quickly it burns off for me.

in vial: fresh and cool

wet: I smell the lavender, I know this because I hate lavender. This may ruin it for me. This smells very herbal to me, but with a coolness in the backdrop.

dry: this blend still smells strong and definitely is classified as an aquatic although in a subcategory I would put this as an herbal aquatic. It has a nice green herbal scent with cool water surrounding.

In the decant: Sweet pea and lavender mixed with salt. It's refreshing!

Wet on skin: Smells like a fancy bathroom soap, and I can’t single-out any one particular note.

Dry on skin: Same as when wet... I really wanted this one to work being that I'm a water-sign, but no such luck!!!

Edited by nellieburger

I was excited for this, as I am very attracted to water, but aquatic scents rarely work for me.

Wet: Very salty and marine like, smells a bit like the ocean and I am getting excited!

Dry: Laundry detergent. :( All of the salt is gone and instead it smells like dryer sheets dipped in laundry detergent.

So far, this has GOT to be my favorite of the Phoenixs... It's a green, soft aquatic a mix of salty and sweet. I do think there might be some sweet pea in it but it isn't aggressive. It smells pretty, feminine and comforting.

I might have to track a partial of this!

Decant: an aquatic lavender in the vial. So far I’m loving this!

Wet on Me: more aquatic lavender with a splash of the juniper thrown in for good measure.

Drying Down: this is something quite lovely. The lavender has receded like a gentle tide. The lily of the valley comes forth now and the gentle sweet pea.

Dry: Another gentle blend. All traces and whisps of notes that ebb and flow under my nose like the tides. First you get lavender and it recedes to bring the sweet pea and then it recedes to bring the lily of the valley and so on and so on all over a lovely gentle base of the musk and rain. I never really got a lot of the frankincense but hey what I do get is stunning. The love! One of my faves from the Anniversary blends.

AUGH. In the imp, this is a very calm, charming aquatic blend, but it has two of my death notes (lily of the valley and sweet pea), and sure enough, once it hits my skin, it's oceanic lily-pea revulsion with a drop of completely incongruous Chinese musk. This scent would do much better on someone who...wasn't me. :/

I love aquatics and snow notes in the imps or bottles, but they really turn into something nasty on me. I thought I'd try this, (love lavender),as there are always exceptions, as I found with Metal Phoenix. This unfortuneately does not work, typical overbearing aquatic. Very hard, cold, just not me.