Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Alice Aforethought

Fenris Wolf

The raw, untamable power of chaos. Rosewood, amber, red musk and a dribble of red sandalwood.

In the imp- Sandalwood, amber, and musk.
Wet- Sandalwood is still dominant, but now fighting with something that's like dragon's blood. Might be the amber and the rosewood combined.
5 Minutes- Sandalwood is starting to mellow out, starting to get a faint floral powdery note. Feels rather earthy to me.
Dry- Amber comes forward, smells a bit like a candied redwood forest with the occasional undertone of soap.

Not quite something I'd wear regularly, but maybe if I needed to come across a bit more strongly at work. I'm intensely curious as to how this might wear on my partner, since he normally smells a bit woodsy.

Edit- almost an hour after and it smells like a woodsy, resinous incense. Potentially something I'd like my room to smell like.

Rosewood has been one of my extreme death notes, so we'll see!

On the skin: Red musk with a hint of sandalwood? Not much else as far as I can smell. Huh, I wasn't expecting to like this one, but it is actually growing on me. I'll have to try it again, but this imp is definitely a keeper!

As a red musk lover, I'm shocked that I never sought this out. I'm even more shocked to find that I had an imp untested in my imp box from hell!

The oil is very sharp and dusty in the vial. I attribute this to the rosewood and/or sandalwood. On my skin, I smell the red musk and amber, which are incredibly sexy and smooth and remind me a little of Senelion. I thought there was a bit of Dragon's Blood in here but sometimes red musk will do that to my nose before it settles in. The woody background makes this masculine, which I love!!

I definitely need a bottle of this to age--I can tell it will be amazing :wub2:

In imp: Red musk.

On wet: Red musk and a bit of woods. After a minute or two I can start to smell something sweet peeking it's head out. I am mentally trying to coax it out from the background because red musk is best paired with something sweet to my nose.

Dry: The sweetness that I smelled never really develops enough for this to be a love, but I do like it. The red musk stays pretty prominent on me, but the more time goes by, the more woods come out to mingle. In my mind it evokes late summer/early autumn nights when the trees are getting ready for the season change. Leaves are drying up, but haven't fallen yet. The time of year when you're still living in flip flops, but maybe decided on a long sleeve shirt before going out. This reminds me a bit of what that breeze would smell like. Dry, maybe a bit dusty due to the lack of rain. It's a warm scent, makes me think of deep brown/orange (brange? bronge?), but with a bit of green skirting the edges.

I like this enough to keep my imp and do further testing, but not enough to buy a bottle just yet. Maybe aging will bring out the amber more. At least I can hope, because I do really enjoy this one.

I love this. On me, it's a perfect blend of woodsy, resiny, and musky. The red musk (oh how I love you, red musk) adds just the right touch of sweetness so it's not too masculine. Gorgeous. :wub2:

This is the type of red musk that plays well with my skin, along the lines of debauchery. Lovely red musk, and the rosewood and sandelwood lending a rich woody undertone. This is a winner.

My skin, I have learned through recent experience, loves red musk, so Fenris Wolf, on me, is rather reminiscent of Scherezade and fresh Snake Oil. I hope a little aging will amp the woods, because I love me some rosewood and sandalwood combined with anything rosy, but as it is now, this is the Red Musk Show with a supporting ensemble. My mom thought it smelled like a "snappy dame," and I can definitely picture the female lead in a Howard Hawks movie smelling like this.

Woodsy and deliciously red musk-y. Anything red musk seems to LOVE my skin and I love it right back. I can see where it would seem to be a masculine scent, but it's anything but on me. It's drop dead sexy. Though I still want to try it on my husband...

Red musk dominates yet another scent. Curse you, skin chemistry. *scrubs*

I think this is more of a werewolf, than a normal wolf, because the two times I tried it were completely different experiences.

The first time, I got one of those sharp "cologne" notes that I really dislike. That's the whole reason I gave up trying to buy "normal" cologne, because they all have that sharp sameness. I blamed it on the rosewood, because I know I love all the other notes. At least, I think I do. I don't know what the difference is between normal sandalwood and red sandalwood. I really wish I had access to individual notes, it would save me a lot of time.

Anyway, I tried it, thought "eh," and almost put it in the swaps right away. But something "stayed my hand" as a D&D player might say. Something made me give it one more try, because there shouldn't be anything in here I dislike.

I tried it today again, after a break of several days, and for some reason that sharpness is mostly gone this time around, and I really like it. So this time it's a keeper. I hope it doesn't go too feral on me again next time!

I’m doing this review a bit differently, because my experiences with Fenris have varied pretty widely. The first time I tried it, I noted mostly an impression of patchouli over musk, rosewood, soft amber, and with a peppery note. It got incensey, with sharp sandalwood and spiciness, and the spiciness increased from 30 minutes to 2 hours, until it got almost too intense for me. Very sharp and growly. Then the amber, musk, and softer woods tamed it down.

The second time (less than a month later, so aging doesn’t explain it), even though I still got the patchouli impression at first, it was warm, mildly woody, and even comforting, if intense. I didn’t get any pepper, I got sweet amber and gorgeous woods, with a finishing touch of gentle, fuzzy musk.

The next couple times, it also veered to the side of sweet once dry. Once it got a bit powdery. Not sure what’s up with my chemistry, but there you go. Either way, it tends to go on a bit green, and warm up from there. I do like it, a lot. Very versatile scent. More for autumn and winter, I’d say, and more masculine than feminine. It’s a 4/5.

And right now I'm chuckling because it looks like something similar happened to catalyst. I suppose the description did mention the "untamable power of chaos." :lol:

In the imp, and wet on my skin, this reminds me a lot of a cross between Loup Garou with its initial pine-like bite, and Czernobog. And considering I love both those scents this one proves promising! The only thing that worries me is that rosewood ... Anything rosy tends to go to powder on me.

As it dries down, the pine, or whatever I'm perceiving as pine, dies away and I'm left with mostly red musk and sandalwood. It gets sweet but not overwhelmingly so, which is probably thanks to the rosewood. Nor is it overly masculine. And best of all there's no powder- yay! It's delicious, deep, semi-sweet scent that I want to just disappear into. Next time I'll need to not play it safe and slather a little extra on so I can do just that.

Overall I REALLY really like this! I put it under the same family as Czernobog, Snake Oil, and Imp (fruity, but its got that delicious musk I'm apparently loving) all of which I love love love. Would I get a full bottle? Hm, well, as much as I like this ... I like Czernobog better, and they're similar enough to me that I would probably get a bottle of Czer over Fenris. But I'll definitely be enjoying the heck out of my imp!

I had to work up the courage to try this, because it really does smell SO powerful in the imp I was afraid it was gonna knock me over. It doesn't smell bad at all, I was just worried about it turning weird on my skin and being unable to wash it off. The thing that stands out most to me in the imp is the sandalwood.

While wet on my skin, it's sharp and fierce and strong. The rosewood and sandalwood dominate. It's woodsy and biting, and I love it.

It's much sharper while wet than it is dry. As it dries down, that fantastic red musk starts to emerge. It smells like the same furry red musk used in WILF - another scent I totally adore. It's warm, shaggy, and comforting. The woods back it up perfectly. I would almost call this a hybrid of WILF and Western Diamondback - WILF's wonderful red musk coupled with the warm, dry, sweet dustiness of Western Diamondback.

Once it really settles down on my skin, it mellows out a bit. The musk edges towards sweetness without becoming straight-up sweet. The woods are dusty and warm. It's both subtle and commanding. I feel very comfortable wearing this... very natural. A perfect low-lying, skin-hugging scent. I really enjoy it.

It is so incredibly animalistic I was a little taken aback. But not only is it completely feral, it's also delicious. I haven't been so enthralled by a scent in a while. It just smells so good.

Great sandalwood. Slightly spicy and yet it doesn't turn dry as the note often does because of a juicy, dripping red musk backing it up. I love sandalwood either way, so I'm liking it so far. I only get a tiny bit of rose and no amber.

This did smell pretty strong in the imp, but it immediately softens on my skin. It's a delicately sweetened sandalwood, so if anything, it comes across as quite romantic to me. No fierce sharpness. I guess I have a knack for taming wolves. :)

It's nice but it might be a bit too "pretty" for me.

In the imp: Smells like an earthy mens aftershave - but less after shave, more woody.
Wet on skin: Pretty much like the imp - but with a little more warmth coming thru - probably the musk
Dry on skin: The sandalwood is definitely making itself known, along with the warmth of musk and amber.

Very reminiscent of Penny Dreadful for me, but more woody and less floral.
On me, the sandalwood seems to switch between woodsy and earthy dirt - probably why this reminds me of Penny Dreadful (because of the "dirt/earth" scent)
Although, I don't foresee myself wearing this, I think this scent would smell lovely on the hubby :)

Update: Wore this scent for a couple more hours and found it has turned all sweet red musk, no more sandalwwd/woodsy scent to be found anywhere :confused: I guess my skin just amps red musk.

I decided to see what the fuss was about. Initial impressions: must.have.a.bottle. There must be Red Musk in this, because I'm getting the same “OMGYES” I get with other red musk scents. *checks the scent notes and nods* Yup, red musk. I was a little afraid of the rosewood turning things powdery, but it never does. It's almost a SN Red Musk scent on me. I apparently amp red musk, but that's okay because I kinda like it.

This may go on the "get a bottle" list.

Ohhh yes please. This is a very me scent and sweetens up in a way that I wouldn't call masculine. It's just dark red and woody, with a hint of musk and amber. Well rounded, fierce, with just a little spice left. Scents really morph quickly on me, but I love all of the (lightning fast) stages. Wet it's sharp, like a reprimand, but dry it's exactly in the family of scents I love on myself.

I would wear this for an evening out, if I were feeling predatory.

I haven't wore this one in a while, so I picked it up and put it on.

So glad that I did, because its a very comforting scent.

The rosewood hits my nose first, and then the red musk, and then followed by the sandalwood. Oh soo lovely for a fall day.

Got this as an imp for my boyfriend to try.

On him: mostly a spicy sort of musk. It's not something that I'd consider smelling "nice," but it's somehow familiar. Warm and very aggressive. He complained about some of the other scents I tried on him being not manly enough-- he didn't have the same complaint about this one, but still didn't care much for it.

On me: an earthy, slightly resinous wood, and again, musk. Spice is still there, but muted. It's really masculine, but makes me feel strong and powerful in a channeling-a-lumberjack kind of way, lol. Not really "me," but I'd definitely enjoy it when I feel like I need a confidence boost.

Got this as a frimp. Wet: sharp cologney thick with pine and rosewood. Not a fan at this point, but masculine scents tend to work on me so I keep it on. Dry: the red musk and something sweet and resiney appears. It becomes very wearable and I think red musk works on me!! Sandalwood becomes more amplified later in the dry down and rounds the scent out. I really like this!! I have some root beer lip butter on and the combined scent smells really great so next time I will try to layer it with stimulating sassafras Strengthener and see what happens! I think this will get better with age especially since my frimp is already pretty thick...

Skin chemistry weirdness.

On me, this is the smell of "basement", but in a good way. An earthy, musty basement in which nature overtakes the stone foundation to leak and swell, and brood.

I don't see myself wearing this much, but I'll keep the imp. It's certainly not boring.

In the bottle: The musk and the sandalwood and the rosewood smell GORGEOUS.

On my skin: It is slightly sharp, but not as much as in the bottle. I don't get any amber at this point, or it is well blended and I can't make it out. The red musk with the rosewood make a lovely duo however, one I am glad to smell. In a couple of minutes it mellows out even more and I think I can detect the hint of amber, but it is still mainly the musk and wood. It is reddish and earthy and comforting to wear.

Drydown: More of the same. This is lovely. :)

Something in this comes off very dark on me, but I can't tell which note it is--maybe the type of amber or musk. This is definitely a masculine scent, deep red musk and slight smokiness. Would love it on a man!

In the Bottle: Tree and cold air. Does anyone else notice that cold air has a smell? Or is it just me?

Wet: Sandalwood's coming out now; very nice. Amber's there too, but still in the background, which serves the overall scent well. And now the musk. YES.

Dry: Slightly musky, even a little leathery. Masculine, but not in a way that makes me not want to wear it. It fades a bit as time goes on, but that's fine. Makes it seem more like a my-own-smell-but-wilder-and-sexier scent. My go-to "I'm feeling wild today" BPAL oil. I wanna go howl at the moon every time I wear it.