Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Alice Aforethought

Fenris Wolf

The raw, untamable power of chaos. Rosewood, amber, red musk and a dribble of red sandalwood.

In the vial, it smelled like sarsaparilla. I don't know if anybody has ever drank sarsaparilla but I've always considered it a root-beer-type soda. It was a pungent woodsy and tree bark smell. I actually thought it smelled a little bit like oil but that's because the first picture in my mind was that of a wooded tool shack with one of those old oil canister's.

I had to try it on after a shower because I had just tried "Seraglio" earlier this morning and couldn't wait another day to try "Fenris Wolf." That, and my friend was sort of pushing me to do it also. With the shower, there might be a bit of scent from the Dove soap I use but "Fenris Wolf's" woodsy smell is definitely overpowering anything that might be there. My friend was disappointed because she wanted it to be something of a sex in a bottle and as I mentioned before, I realized I have NO idea what sex would smell like to me.

Maybe I should send the bottle to her and see what she though. Blast, too bad you can split these vials in half. =(

In any case, I would definitely describe this scent as masculine. Originally when I kept sniffing my wrist, I thought of a forest, thick with foliage and in the middle of it was a beautiful wooden cottage. To the side, near a pile of logs, was a man - much like a lumberjack.

That could be considered sexy to certain ladies, right?

I tried to picture a women wearing this and it might be because my skin is amplifying the sandalwood (what else would make it smell so much like tree bark?) but I can only see a very self-assured guy wearing this. In fact, if I had to attribute this to a certain type of male, I can see a business man who has a taste for expensive Cuban cigars. I see a pretty thick but groomed mustache along with manicured fingernails. He is not adverse to the million-dollar suits but he can be just as comfortable in the Bahamas, wearing one of those tropical shirts.

Did I just paint the picture of a mafia member? o_O Hmm...taking another sniff, it does smell like something/someone from the Godfather.

It's about an hour later. I can sort of imagine a women wearing this scent as the sweeter notes are showing through. This woman seems somewhat of a very spiritual person. Preferably one that works a lot with herbs and is much in tune with nature. She's got to have a bit of frizz and curls in her hair, with streaks of silver/gray to complete the distinguished look. She's a unique character and she is certainly more than meets the eye.

It's several hours later and I can still smell Fenris Wolf on my skin. Despite the masculine scent, I really quite like it a lot. It's definitely got that earthy smell going on but it's sweeter than I originally thought it to be. For me, this is one of those 'rare scents' I'd wear every so often just to put a bit of variety in my life. I think I sort of like this a bit more than Seraglio and Marquise...

Hmm. Maybe I should revisit those two in the future. =/

Sniffed: Deep orange oil. Sweet, warm and woody. Lots of red musk and rosewood especially. A bit syrupy/boozy. Very dry, almost dusty.

Wet: Snake Oil-ish red musk galore. More perfumey amber, and warm/exotic red sandalwood, less cedar-y rosewood.

Dry: Very slow to dry. Rosewood amping majorly, and the amber turning a bit powdery. The red musk isn't as harsh as it usually is - I think the sandalwood smooths it out, here. But it's very sweet/cloying.

Summary: Settles to a surprisingly nice, if slightly medicinal-boozy red musk base with warm sandalwood, subtle amber and only slightly dusty dry rosewood. Decent throw.

Before this scent, my bf was very anti-BPAL...

That is... until I got him a little vial of Fenris Wolf, and now he is in love and insisting I get a bottle for him. He ADORES this stuff. It smells very different on me than it does in the vial. On me, it smells just like woody incense. But on him... it smells like woody incense with some light citrusy top notes and an almost effervescent bubbliness that sits on top of the woody incense. It is amazing! I wish I had his skin chemistry sometimes -_- Since I got into BPAL, he has been asking for something that smells like the sandalwood and opium incense he used to burn in his room (despite his previous BPAL objections), so I searched in the search engine for something with both of those, but he didn't seem to like the way they smelled. I noticed that Fenris Wolf is discussed as one of the more popular male scents, so I gave it a shot. Thank God I did since now he wants to go to the May Trunk Show at Dark Delicacies XD

I cannot say enough good things about Fenris Wolf, and I know my SO feels the same way.

First of all: Ahhh.. LOVE!

I adore red musk, and Fenris Wolf doesn't disappoint. I also love red sandalwood... oh wow.. Fenris has that too? Well.. what do ya know!!! Amber is always lovely and it can play a wonderful counterpart to deep scented oils such as red musk and red sandalwood.

The rosewood in this is beautiful as well. Not too rosie, not to woody. Just enough to keep this a uni sexual blend. Very warm and resinous. I am in lurrrve!!!

I bet that this ages into something so beautiful. My imp is brand new. I think I'm going to have to see if I can find an aged imp as well to compare. There's something sharp floating around. I think it just needs to calm down a bit. I'll put it on the shelf for a couple of months and see what happens!

I impulsively and blindly bought a 10mL bottle of Fenris Wolf, and I think I'm glad I did! :luv2: The notes listed looked quite good, and I want to test this on my boyfriend, too.

It unfolds in a lovely way, first mostly splintered rosewood and a sprig of evergreen. As it dries down the amber comes out to play, sweet and glowing. I've definitely found that amber is a note I can't wear at all when its fresh, but some aged varieties are very nice indeed. The amber melds with warm musk, and later on a strong sandalwood presence infuses it. The musk has a slightly animalistic quality that I can't quite explain, and it's offset very nicely by the clean amber and crisp wood. After hours wear on, it's woodsy, subtly spicy red musk. I can't vouch for fresh Fenris, but the aged stuff is beautiful in its simplicity.

The overall effect is very wild and wolfish indeed, with enough of a wood presence to feel delightfully foresty. It's a bit feral, but also a bit comforting, like having a big, furry, personal wolf guard that likes to snuggle with you but won't hesitate to bite the arms off of your nemeses, hehe. I feel like this would be appropriate at almost any time of the year, and would be equally at home on someone of any gender. It melds harmoniously with the skin, and it feels very natural rather than harsh and chaotic as the description and namesake might imply. When applied with a light touch, its throw is subtle, but its effect lingers for hours. It smells like a classic. :heart:

ETA: This doesn't smell like much on my boyfriend... he says it starts off oddly plummy and then disappears before long. On me, most days it goes very sweet. The red musk and amber has aged to the point where it's all very smooth, quite sweet, and feminine in an earthy sort of way. I love the hint of evergreen forest that sticks through at the end but I don't know how I feel about the sweetness... it's a bit much for me sometimes.

Edited by tajana

Medicinal cherries. That's the first impression I get from Fenris Wolf. There's something extremely feral and wild about this one, too... reminds me of the musk that horses carry with them, strangely enough. The longer it stays on my skin, the darker the scent gets.

This smells like Kabuki after a few hours when the cherry and the anise has completely vanished and all that's left is the red musk. Plus something a little dustier- rosewood? Nothing else comes through but I really love red musk so I would probably get a bottle of this.

"It is harsh in the world,

whoredom rife

—an axe age, a sword age

—shields are riven—

a wind age, a wolf age—

before the world goes headlong."

- The Poetic Edda

Oh, this is genius. I blindly ordered a 5ml of this and I love it. On wet, the wood notes are sharp and red and strong, maybe a little too strong, but the moment it dries the amber and musk start glowing beautifully. The wood is still strong, but the sandalwood starts coming through as well. Fifteen minutes in, and it mellows very nicely and all the scents blend together into a dark, musky perfection.

A word to the wise, Fenris Wolf is very, very dark and masculine, so if that's not your ball of wax, it won't make you change your mind, but if you've been looking to try that kind of thing, you could do a lot worse than this. It's masculine without being macho, feral, powerful and deep.

Edited by voorishsign

Wet on the skin, woody red musk. :wub2:

As it dries, I begin to get the amber and sandalwood notes as well, but the rosewood and red musk remain the strongest notes in this blend.

Very nice. :thumbsup:

Fenris Wolf...how could I have not tested you until now?!?! Holy red musk goodness! Amazing. More sandalwood on dry down but still more The drier it gets the more woodsy it smells. Still good though!

Edited by DeltaCat

imp: rosewood with a bit of musk and amber.

wet: very pungent, almost sharp, rosewood. i always feel rosewood should be rich and smooth but this smells more "fresh" somehow.

dry: the doesn't smell as rosewood-ish as i was expecting but may smooth with age. it's a fresh wood scent over musk and amber which is beautiful in it's own right. i will hang on to my imp to see if it becomes a bottle-worthy purchase in the future.

Fenris Wolf starts off very woody and sharp but quickly settles into musky woody amber. It's really delicious. After a few hours it fades to a sweet powdery scent, still delicious but not at all what it began as.

I often put it on before I stretch or do yoga. It's as comfortable as a tee and sweats.

sweet, with a hint of malice

He intends harm,

but can be seduced by innocence...

feral tempered by softness

a beauty you could give yourself to

without hesitation...

Eat me, darling!

Based on this scent, red musk has shot up about equal with golden musk as a scent love adoration.

On me this isn't masculine at all, it's a sweet, rich, woody scent, and it manages to be both sexy and comforting at the same time. I love to wear it as a bellydance class scent.

Fenris Wolf does get a little woodier on the drydown for me, but it's still warm and gorgeous. Love it!

This actually reminds me a lot of Fire of Love, it's just softer and warmer, FoL has a little more of a sharp spiciness in the wood.

Ahhh, Fenris. How I loved you so! You were one of the very first oils that went on my skin and actually stayed around.

Too bad there's something about your lovely fury hide that makes my DH's allergies go nuts.

I miss you!

:cry2:

In the vial, the rosewood and red musk are strongest. I don't know that I'll care much for this one because of that. I'm usually on the fence with red musk - it can go either way with me. It can make or break a fabulous scent. Color - red, but not primary red. Fur red.

Wet on my skin, red musk. I might have to wash this one off before I give it much of a chance, unfortunately. It smells almost like the red oil I've mentioned before.

10-15 minute drydown - Nope. Red musk headache territory. Needs to go now.

my fiance' isn't a big BPAL fan either, at least on himself, but he loves this scent. He amps the red musk in a very good way and the amber doesn't go powdery on him at all.

I didn't think much of this the first time I tried it--it seemed very sharp, but now it's had a few months to mellow the red musk rounds out the scent and adds a thick, almost cocoa-rich backdrop, and it tempers the woods. It has a smoky quality once it's dry, and it's quite complex and primal. One to try if you like Dragon's Heart!

In the imp: Bitter and sharp. Not very nice in fact.

Drying on my skin: WOW!!!

The sharpness morphes into soft woody notes with a warm, golden and o so lovely sweet amber coming out to play. There's something sensual underneath (like a kind of non-stinky, sweet sweat) - I suppose this is the red musk. A tiny bit of soapiness peeks trough.

Throw and staying power: medium, 6 hours

Colour impression: matt copper with golden sparkles, hints of dark green

Verdict:

This scent is so lovely! To me not masculine per se - more like the scent a man leaves on your skin after a sensual embrace. This very special man has been working in the woods all day and the remaining hints of the soap and aftershave he used the morning before going to work mingles with his sweet sweat (in a good way, you know ;) ).

I'm in love!

:wub2:

I usually love red musk and red musk usually loves me - but not in Fenris Wolf. For some reason, this smelled like red musk plus extreme body odor to me. No thanks.

Wet, this is all parched, sere, almost choking-strength woodiness. As it dries, it ever so slowly mellows as the red musk comes forth. It never gets sweet though - the amber is invisible on me. The end product is a nice blend of red musk and dry wood - the rosewood + sandalwood, I suppose. I think I'll keep the imp, but the beginning stages are just too dry, even for me, to merit a bottle just yet.

WOW.

In the imp, it's sweet, sultry red musk on amber. The rosewood is deep in the background really grounding the overall scent nicely. There's something very feral to this scent, just a touch dangerous.

Wet: Holy sandalwood! Pure blast in the face up the nose with both barrels rich, beautiful sandalwood. Red musk eases back to let the wood come to the fore. Amber stays sweet. This is a very sticky oil on the skin. It takes its sweet time drying.

Dry down: With my skin chemistry this isn't at all masculine. It's a feral, growly rumble of feminine confidence. The sandalwood and rosewood balance each other so well at this stage that you can no longer pick one from the other. There's something faintly spicy in this, too. The same spice note I get out of Scheherezade (which I'm sure I've misspelled at this hour.) The musk goes softer, probably because the amber under it is sweet enough to tame the bite. I bet this will be ah-mazing aged.

Decent throw, decent lasting power. Yet another red musk blend that has been extremely kind to me and could be worth a bottle purchase in the future.

I bought this for my husband and WOW. Yes, yes yes yes yes. This scent is absolutely gorgeous. On him the red musk and rosewood are front and centre with the amber and sandalwood right behind them. It's a warm, bold, feral scent, if the colour burnt orange had a scent, this would be it.

Yum. Yum.

I wore this last night, and I didn't enjoy it.

In the bottle, it smelled like a mild dragon's blood - it had that kind of cinnamon candy smell to it, anyway. It's weird, because there's no dragon's blood mentioned in the ingredients, and when I've worn the components separately in the past (amber, musk, sandalwood & rosewood) none of them have smelled dragon's bloody on me.

When I put it on, I received the overwhelming impression that I had just dumped a bottle of heavily-scented fabric softener on myself. It was soapy, powdery and floral funky all at the same time. Kind of like freesia or lilac softener. It gave me an instant headache behind my eyes, and I was pressed for time so I couldn't take another shower. I've got to make sure when I sample these that I give myself enough time for emergency scent-removal if necessary.

The heavy floral smell faded quickly, though, and alleviated some of the headache along with it. It dampened down into dryer-sheet smell. In fact, it began to smell exactly like a certain generic 'mountain breeze' dryer sheet that I've purchased in the past, and blended in with my freshly laundered work uniform. The only thing I can attribute the floral scent to might be the rosewood, (and I'm hoping it's not because I just ordered a couple of imps that mentioned rosewood) because after about 8 hours, I was catching brief hints of sandalwood and amber.

After about 12 hours, it's faded to a wonderful warm amber glow. If that amber note was sold separately, I'd buy it by the gallon, because it is so subtle but makes me feel like a plump, lazy wood-nymph whenever I catch that hint of fragrance. However, I can't take the immediate heavy floral that Fenris starts out with.

I usually love red musk and red musk usually loves me - but not in Fenris Wolf. For some reason, this smelled like red musk plus extreme body odor to me. No thanks.

Maybe that explains it - I thought my regular deodorant had worn off really fast this morning, but it might be lingering musk that's got the BO effect for me, too.

Edited by perzephone

Not much smell in the imp, just some amberish sweetness. Wet on my wrists: powdery sweetness, slightly deeper notes from the wood. After a couple of minutes the wood really amps, a nice dryness with the amber dropping into the background. The musk is coming through, too. After about half an hour, lots of wood and musk, and it becomes more masculine than it seemed at first, although not as ferocious as I expected. Maybe "ferocious" and "perfume" are unmixy things. After a few hours it dries down to a golden-sweet amber note very like Golden Priapus but with a little musk. This is a nice scent that I like fine but don't love.