Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Alice Aforethought

Fenris Wolf

fenris wolf

The raw, untamable power of chaos. Rosewood, amber, red musk and a dribble of red sandalwood.

in the bottle mmmm.... thick and fragrant and incensey. i'm almost tempted to slop some of this on right now, but i won't.

wet on skin N/A, i couldn't smell it this morning. at all. stupid sinuses.

dry on skin well. i'm not crazy about this. it's nice right up next to my skin, but it keeps throwing musk and, to a lesser degree, amber at me. the woods are divine, though. it's like the fragrant inside of a wooden box, a bit cedary, but not that pungent.

two hours later same, excellent wear. i think this is a more a lad's scent. a bookish sort of gent who enjoys a cognac after dinner with a large tome and a cigar. maybe a gay sort of gent who enjoys a cognac after dinner with a large tome and a cigar. (go away, amber!!)

e.t.a. someone just came in to my office smelling strongly of jasmine and sweetened fenris up a lot. maybe i could play with some layering this one. at present, i'm afraid it's just too dry for my taste.

A frimp from the Lab (thanks guys! :P) Red musk and red sandalwood are generally two don't-go-there-girlfriend notes for me, but we'll see how it goes.

In the imp: yep, that's red musk all right, with a bit of amber. Reminds me of Mme Moriarty.

Wet on me: Same as above.

After a few minutes: The amber is getting somewhat stronger - that could be a good thing; the few red musk belends that have worked on me before have generally contained amber. And now I can smell what must be rosewood - like a strong, slightly spicy cedar.

Drydown: You know, with red musk, red sandalwood, and something cedary this *really* should not be my cup of tea and yet...and yet. It's kind of sweet and pretty; a cedar box like ravenfeathers mentioned, filled with sticks of sandalwood incense. I suppose amber + red musk is a happy combination for me. I can't smell either of them too strongly individually, but the end result is dry and incensey and warm.

This turned out to be quite a lucky frimp - even if it had been so-so I'd've hung onto it since I just finished an MA in Old Norse, but in the event it even smells nice!

Vaguely floral, but not unpleasantly so. Mild scent and quite pleasant, but more femme than I'd hoped from something with such a fierce name. It does smell faintly of outdoors and musk, but tame English garden outdoors, and very mild musk. Nice enough, but not something I'd buy.

in the bottle: my first impression was to wrinkle my nose, because it's got quite a bite, but I like it better already. It's very masculine and the only smell I recognise in it is sandalwood, which I've always liked. Not sure about this one.

wet on my skin: woody, masculine, pleasant. In fact it's like particularly fragrant wood-smoke. Half an hour later it's a little smoother and fruitier. I'm enjoying this scent even though I'm not sure I'd leave the house wearing it.

I tried layering this with other scents and now I've found the perfect match! Fenris Wolf and O together are simply beautiful! It brings out the best in both of them!

Edited by Lyrical

Origin: my GF's imp box :D

Wet: Headshop.

Drydown: This may sound weird, but the image I get from this scent is that I'm biting into a piece of wood, and there are spices rubbed into the grain. The wood smell is vivid and "juicy," if wood can be said to be juicy, and I can almost feel the texture of it between my teeth. (I chewed pencils as a kid, so I know what I'm talking about! :P ) My GF commented that it smelled floral on me, though my nose missed the flowers.

Dry: Red Patchouli evidently has decided that I don't properly appreciate its role in the scent, so it decides to play an extended solo riff. And alas, the rest of the day it might as well be red patchouli single note; the other stuff never comes back.

This is a woodsy, autumnal, and sort of comforting scent during the 1.5 hours that the wood and spices stick around. I wouldn't be in the mood for it every day--it falls more to the masculine side of the spectrum than my "usual suspects"--but it's quite nice. I just wish it stayed complex longer on my skin. I'd have to reapply a lot.

I give it a 3 out of 5, and recommend it to fans of Anne Bonny.

ETA: After writing my review, I read the list of notes and don't see red patch listed. Weird. Evidently some note or combination of notes (maybe the red musk?) is turning to a reasonable facsimile of red patch on me.

Edited by lady_pandora

IN THE IMP: Warm, earthy, almost sweet. Dark-red-brown-black.

ON MY SKIN: Super slow-drying, musky. It’s sweet and resinous – like woodsmoke on a dark day. It actually turns into something very like Wolf Moon 2006 for me; it’s not quite as sweet, but they share the amber. Low and spicy, with a little woody rough edge.

LATER: Soft, sweet amber. This was very warm and wintry, rather comforting, but too masculine and resinous for me.

Got this imp through the Civet Evangelism Sniffing Circle via Bombus. Now red musk has historically not worked on me - as in it amps and smells like bitterness and plastic, so we'll see...

in imp: hm. sandalwood & red musk, twirling around each other... not bad, but forboding.

on wet: 9:03 - sweet rosewood, then.. woosh! plasticy red musk. :P sandalwood is peeking out the door, thinking about coming to play, but hasn't decided yet.

drydown: 9:10 - the sandalwood is trying to get the red musk to calm the heck down and stop yelling. It's not working so well.

9:23 - no more sandalwood, no more anything but bitter red musk. *sigh* I was afraid of that. blech.

9:33 - a titch more sandalwood, but no. On me this is all red musk, all the time. Bleh.

9:40 - same. what happened to the amber??? *sigh* time to wash off!

Imp: Sandalwood

On: Oooh...Rosewood, amber, and sandalwood make this another scent which makes me think of good, dry firewood, or the huge, dark desk that was mine when I was younger which once belonged to my grandfather. It's a lovely, warm smell that reminds you that the woods are, in essence, free...

and that the wolf can be as patient as it needs...

I just received Fenris Wolf in an order from the lab.

In the bottle: Very strong. Not sure how this will work, but it does have musk. Musk on me is of the good.

Wet: Whoa! Wood! Strong, smokey wood.

About 30min-and hour later: The wood smell mellows out and the musk (and possibly amber) come forward. This is lovely. I actually reminds me quite strongly of Hellfire, but not as smokey.

Hours later: All musk. The lab's musk is very nice on me, but the woodsy scent that made it unique is completely gone. I already have a bottle that is musk based. I may give it another try, but it will probably go to the swap pile.

Verdict: This is a very pretty scent, but you better love musk. If you already have a musk scent and don't need another, you can give this guy a pass. If you don't alreay have one, then give the Wolf a try.

This is an incredible, delectable sandalwood blend. The red musk adds such an interesting softness, a great idea (rather than more commonplace sandalwood-vanilla blends).

The woods are dry yet precious, and sweetened to an almost tobacco/incense quality.

I can see myself wearing this, but if my man-bear put some on, he'd better frickin watch OUT, I'd totally be his sheep! I would say that Fenris Wolf is unisex in the sense that some sandalwood scents can be pulled off by either/or. I think he'd amp the rosewood and sandalwood, where I'd amp the red musk and amber a bit more.

Sexy! :P

4.3 out of 5

I like all these notes, and they usuallly like me, so I had to give Fenris Wolf a try.

In the imp: Feral. Raw animalism.

Wet: Predominantly earthy, like packed earth, with a hint of the feral, animal scent underneath, musk, but not musk (if that makes any sense). This is the scent of the wolf's den.

Dry: More of the same, but more familiar seeming. Like instead of being an interloper in the wolf's den, I belong there. Marked. Territorial.

This scent wasn't what I expected it to be, yet I still love it. I don't think it's something I'll be comfortable wearing frequently, but when it's right... it's right. When I need to stand up for/defend myself and the people/things I care about, this is the armor I need to wear. Definitely a keeper.

In the bottle: Chocolate and sandalwood. Mmm!

Wet: Chocolate, sandalwood, and moist, loamy earth. This is one wolf I wouldn't mind hugging for a long time!

Dry: Unfortunately, I don't like the scent on the throw (which, unsurprisingly, is considerable.) Sandalwood is not something I would put on myself unless BPAL sent it to me as a freebie. On the other hand, Fenris has convinced me that sandalwood blends don't have to smell awful. This is definitely a scent for someone more masculine than I.

I like it but it's a little too manly for me. And the hubby thinks it's too patchouli-ish and hates patchouli. I'm smelling sandalwood, not patchouli, but we have very different noses. I put it in his squee box and I'm betting it'll smell great on him.

This is a wonderful, wood-filled musk-touched blend. On me, the rosewood plays heavily at the forefront, leaving the amber and musk to play quietly but sweetly in the background. Not an instant love, but a good snuggle in and wait for brighter days kind of scent.

On my fiance, however, this turns from 'wood with a bit of musk' to "MUSK! and woods".... not that I'm complaining. The red sandalwood and musk imitate a much more heated version of his natural scent that it is very... alluring. This is definitely a WIN on him.

In the imp: Red musk, deep woody notes and perhaps a hint of something spicy.

On skin: Red musk and woods. A warm, masculine scent with a dark tone. Not sinister, but more a scent for lurking in the shadows than prowling in the light.

~30 mins: Still musk and woods. Somehow I doubt that this one is going to morph much on me. As musky woody scents go, this is actually rather nice, and I could see it being wonderful on a guy. I actually find it quite a comforting scent, but I think that's due to the rosewood and my personal associations with it. Whatever the case, it's really not chaotic to my nose!

However, as it's not something I would wear (nor something I can convince my SO to wear), I think this one my be destined to find a new home.

How is it I never got around to reviewing Fenris? I do love this one. It's all lovely sandalwood and red musk on me, warm and woodsy and slightly sweet. But never aggressively sweet (which sometimes happens with red musk blends when I wear them). It's in the same family with several other favorites, including Carceri d'Invenzione and Anne Bonny. I nearly always love the wolfy scents, and this one is no exception.

Wet on my wrist: Incense, like a new age/ pagan/ crunchy granola hippie shop. The sandlewood is almost overpoweringly strong on me.

Dry down:Incense for the next hour at least. Eventually it dies down to cedar incense with bare hints of amber.

Verdict: not really my cup of tea until it fades down to a soft cedar and amber smell the hovers just above my wrist. I like the final result, but I'm not sure I want to put up with the strong assault on my nose until I get there.

i can definitely smell the amber, rosewood and sandalwood. this really isn't a guys scent at all (even though its listed as one). i love amber i love sandalwood...yumm..i can smell the musk only slightly and it's very earthy on my skin. very woodsy. not bad. the boy liked it upon smelling it out of the bottle. [edit: now the amber is super amp'ed up...i like amber, but can't smell any of the other notes. it's ok but i was hoping for something that wasn't straight up amber only]. i actually prefer this scent and as it has aged a bit, more of the other notes are coming out

must purchase a bottle.

Received Fenris Wolf for Christmas from a guy I used to date per Secret-Santa gift exchange. (Ironic, isn't it?) Out of all of the ones he chose out of the list I provided of imps I'd like to try, he said that he liked the scent description of this one the best. Oddly enough, it's one of my favourites, too. :P

In the imp: Rosewood like whoa, red musk coming in second. I can't even smell the sandalwood or the amber.

On me: The rosewood is still there, but it's nicely balanced by the musk and sandalwood. The amber lends a somewhat sweet note, softening the woods so they don't overpower everything else in the room.

It's a very masculine scent on me, but that's part of why I like it so much. It's also one that my friends like a lot, too -- last weekend when I got in the car with two of them to go to lunch, I got a "You smell good!" from one of them, and the other agreed.

This is on my list of bottles to buy when the imp runs out.

The red feralness of this scent intrigued me, and I've had good luck with musks in the past—so I ordered an imp of it with my last order.

In vial: Red, spicy, sharp, and something unpleasant, almost medicinal. I'm not entirely loving it.

On me: It goes on red musk, warm, full, and slightly animalisitic. Then the musk quickly does what musk does on me: it becomes slightly sweet in the most delicate and flattering way. As it dries down, sweetness aside, this is a warm fuzzy scent that is just a touch spicy and has a rich base, smooth and slightly powdery. The sweetness of the musk balances out its possible feral aspects, and the scent never becomes strictly masculine. The scent is definitely leaning towards red in color, but that provides a comfortable sense of warmth rather than candy-bright coloring or too much spice or heat. On me, the scent lasts for about three hours before it dies down to skin-level, and there it lingers.

Verdict: At a certain level this is just a repeat of the other musk-heavy smells that I own, since they are all similarly sweet and animalistic on my skin. Each has its own character, however, as does Fenris Wolf: the red base gives the blend a living comfort and warmth. It suits me and flatters my skin chemistry, and the boy loves it on me. I'm not "ohmygod new favorite!" blown away, but this is a lovely scent and I imagine I'll get a fair bit of use from it. I'm definitely keeping the imp.

Frimp from the lab! Thanks, lab!

In the imp, this is dark, a little smokey, woody, and deep. Smells animalistic. I chose it to wear today and take with me for my burlesque show tonight because I am feeling nervous and wanted something sexy and "in charge." I think this will do the job quite nicely.

On me, it stays deep and dark, with lots of sandalwood. The musk adds that sexy, animal mood. As it dries, it goes ever-so-slightly powdery on me, but not so much as to ruin the blend.

In the Bottle

Pure incense. Oh noez!

On Me

It's very woody and resiny, but the resin is warm, if that makes sense: it's not a vetiver type cool. There's still incense here, but it's not the gah-choke-I'm-dying disaster that was Kostnice meeting my skin chemistry.

Overall, it's woody, smoky, and there's a touch of incense, and a sharp sweetness. It's quite lovely, but I can see how this one gets the "masculine" label. This is almost like a less extreme, friendlier Malediction. Malediction meets Blood Pearl minus the nautical aspect.

Fenris Wolf makes me think of what it would smell like if a very classy, expensive furniture store went up in flames, and I dunno, I think that's pretty damned awesome.

Given that I love fire, I love resiny fragrances, I love masculine fragrances and I love weird combinations (the sweetness here is a pleasant and interesting surprise), I've gotta say, I'm glad I bought a bottle, and I think I'm going to enjoy it.

I'm NOT getting the "sexy" thing people have talked about with this oil, though. (I tend to get weird emotionally things with various oils, so I expected I'd get the sexy with this.) That said, I kind of feel like starting a fire.

What a gorgeous, warm, male scent! It smells like antique quilts that have been hanging out in a log cabin and hung out in the sunshine to air. Just lovely!

I have to agree that this is a lovely male scent. It is warm and snuggly and cozy. The sandalwood, amber and musk are very inviting. However, I am not particularly enjoying smelling it on ME. It makes me want to go hug on someone and since I am at the office that could make for some unplesantness, no?

Yay Baitu, :P who gifted it to the Civet Evangelism Circle:

Hmmm...Now, here is something in the imp that registers as sexy. It's underneath some things, but it's reading sex to me. Let's try it, shall we?

On the skin: Immediately this begins doing nice things. The wood note is really carrying through the waft, kind of laddering everything if that makes any sense.

There's a definite sweetness to it. It's charming. A very friendly, cuddling wolf.

Let's see if it gets more sexy as it dries.

Hmmm...Very woodsy and dry but the amber and red musk warm it up and sweeten it. Is there any sage here? Just a little?

In any event:

Lovely!

Rather sophisticated, actually.