Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Sign in to follow this  
Tramp

Mutant Hot-Rodders from Hell High

MUTANT HOT-RODDERS FROM HELL HIGH
Shiny black leather jackets, gleaming silver studs, black pepper, pungent lime, and hellfire.

In the bottle this is all lovely dark leather and cool metalics with an edge. On me it is total fail. For the first five minutes it is all leather but after that it is so very wrong. I think there is ginger in it which goes totally off on me. I ended up smelling like a well used, wet ashtray. Lush's Ginger perfume does the exact same thing to me. :P

In bottle: Leather and smoke and metal. I can pick out the pepper. This is a rich, sexy, manly scent. Wet: Weirdly, it smells like smoke and holly, which I find pleasing. The leather is strong and rich. The pepper and lime give a sharpness to the blend. The hellfire is working me, despite the hint of something rank underneath. This is insanely sexy. Dry: I’m hoping I can handle that touch of something off, because I am in love with this. It wildly sexy in a Dean Winchester/guys I dated in high school way.

This is a sharp, cool scent with a rather different spin to leather than I'm used to. It's probably a bite of ozone that gives it that shininess, accompanied by a faint citrus, pepper and lots of smoke. A good guy's scent, but I'm not sure how I feel about it on me just yet. I always expect my leather and smoke blends to be warm and cozy, but this one is cold and fierce.

Very strong leather element in the bottle, but on my skin smells quite pleasantly masculine. I get a leathery element with kind of a light cologne similar to Herbert West or Mole. It took a few hours of dry down to get to this point, however. At first the leather was very strong and smoky.

Smells like fake leather-scented cologne, which surprised me because normally Beth's leather scent is fantastic.

Starts leather-peppery, which was Good, then turns to leather-lime, which didn't work as well as hoped.

I'll keep it because it's fun, but don't need more than the imp.

Quick fade.

It's standard men's cologne. It might smell good on my husband, but we've already got Iago and Lucifer which I like so much more.

Trade pile.

I like this scent a lot, which really surprised me. I normally hate leather, smoke, and metal scents, but the overall mix of this blend is really working for me.

In the bottle, I smell clean, black leather, a gorgeous metallic smell that reminds me of Mechanical Phoenix, and smoke from a mesquite BBQ (smoky vetiver?). I normally hate that sweet smokiness, but somehow it’s working for me with the leather and metal.

On me, this is oddly comforting. It reminds me of my fiance, actually. :P The combination of lime mixed with the smooth metal is like a great, non-musky, non-offensive men's cologne. Then there's the hellfire and pepper, reminding me slightly of BBQ, and giving off that smoked, spiced wood smell. The leather is just a hint of softness that I want to nuzzle into. I'm so glad that this isn't heavily smoky on me.

I think that this might be my favorite of the B movie blends.

I ordered this for hubby, and it smells amazing on him, just as I thought it would. Mutant hot-rodders is all cool metal, leather and lime.

Kind of reminds me of the leather in Brom Bones.

In the imp: Scorched leather, but fresher than that implies.

Fresh on the skin: Eeeeeeeeeeevil. Very dark, searing and smoky. Like the smoking rubber they'd leave behind. It reminds me a little of extremely pungent French cheese, the kind I couldn't bring myself to eat at French camp in middle school, because it smelt too much of burnt rubber. It's better as a perfume than as a foodstufff, at least.

5 minutes later: This would be an interesting masculine scent, but overall, I think smells just a little too much like burnt leather and rubber for me. Like it's an accident rather than deliberate. Serious throw, like all of the B-movie scents I've tried so far.

15 minutes later: The weird part is how I could totally see people liking this scent. But I just can't imagine ever actually wearing it.

2 hours later: Has gone quite a bit lighter, with the lime coming out. Unfortunately, a couple hours of this seems to make me cough, and it's turning my stomach just a touch. Cough cough cough!

3.5 hours later: Oddly, this has gone almost entirely fresh, dry lime with a subtle leather base. I actually like this phase a lot, though not necessarily on me.

Verdict: Not me to a kind of monumental degree, even though I could absolutely see it being awesome for someone else. I'll probably swap it, though I might try it again first.

One phrase: burnt leather-lime.

Leather and BPAL's metallic note (the same in Bed of Nails, Torture Queen and others)... but combined together, it's too butch and manly for me.

And not the kind of blend that my husband likes. He likes a little musk with his leather to soften it.

Definitely the same leather note from DeSade, and as zankoku_zen said, it's the same metallic note from Bed of Nails. On me, it's leather and shiny pennies - with a hint of lime and pepper peeking out in the background. Definitely masculine, but I feel confident that I can pull it off. My body chemistry is REALLY picky with this one, though, but when it works, it works SO well.

This smells like fresh black leather. The kind you smell in a Harley Motor Davidson shop....that has been treated with some kind of chemical. Must wash off now.

This isn't as sinister as it sounds, I thought this would be an aggressive blend, but it's actually quite faint. Not sure why I'm not getting any leather, really this blend just smells like a faint whiff of smoke, some copper, with a bit of pepper. If it smells like anything, maybe an old garage that hasn't been used in awhile. Not for me or my guy.

WOW, this is manly. I don't know why it surprises me - even the name makes me think of the boys in the leather jackets in Grease!

On me, this is smoky, peppery LEATHER with just a hint of lime in the background. The smoke is the strongest note by far. I think I'll sneak this into the boyfriend's stash, because this is just way too manly for me.

In the imp: vetiver! And leather, and lime, and metallic cologne.

Wet on skin: vetiver smoke-I’m assuming that’s the hellfire? And I smell the leather jackets.

Dry on skin: I am amping the hell (ha!) out of the ‘studs’ note, as this has turned very ozone-metallic and masculine on me. The lime is less like fresh juice and more like lime cologne, tangy and leaning towards the sporty-perfume genre. I smell a little bit of leather, but it’s the hellfire that I really smell. It’s a dry, hot vetiver smoke scent, smouldering wood and heavy, gritty vetiver. Interestingly, I seem to smell black pepper as well…and something worryingly close to barbecue smoke. It’s a dark, sinister scent with that flash of zingy boyish cologne over the top.

After a while: this smells more and more like Agnes Nutter now. Not as smoky, but the vetiver and metal notes dominate the scent. This seems more like a clean zingy metal than a rusty one though, and it still has that sporty deodorant scent to it, but with heavy and clingy vetiver underneath.

Verdict: I knew from the notes that this wouldn’t be so good one me, I was right. Too metallic, too leathery, and with a little too much vetiver for me to handle. The leather is the glossy black and slightly rubbery variety that doesn’t do so well on me. The lime is nice but a little too cologne-y in here. But the two notes that dominated were the metal and vetiver/hellfire. I thought that metal studs would be quite discreet but in here the metal note amps to crazy levels, turning them into generic men’s perfume, for the first hour of wear. And then the scent dries down to heavy, oppressive vetiver. So not really my thing at all.

Emoticon rating: :ack:

Is it a keeper? no.

If you like this, try: Agnes Nutter, Grand Inquisitor’s Heretic’s Fork, Brimstone

mutanthotroddersfromhellhig.jpg

Imp: A little like chemical-heavy celery and leather.

Me, Wet: a sweet smoky leather, hint of spice. Lime definitely manifests as it settles on my skin. The lime note is fantastic. Limey leather. The lime is bright and high pitched, and screams out over the sexy leather. They make a great pair.

Me, Dry: the lime is less screamy, but still there. It sits nicely over a sweet, smoky leather. In the end this is a very nice masculine scent--little bits of leather, a limey zest and a clean cologne sort of smell (metal??). Its something very nice indeed, but that I would like better on a guy.

On DH: Wet, it was super leather plus celery/lettuce? Dry, it was smokier (but a lighter kind of smoke) leather. Then the pepper started to come in, and well, this ends up smelling like some kind of smoked, spiced jerky, on him sadly.

Overall: Too masculine for me, too weird on his chemistry.

Edited by jewelbug

Really brief review from me for this scent as I tested it after a full night of sniffing at Cobwebs/ DD.

In the bottle: Lots o' leather.

Wet: SHARP! Talk about lime, they're not kidding when they say there's lime in this sucker! :lol: Quickly morphs back into mainly leather (note that my skin amps leather like no other).

Drydown: Lime has mellowed a bit, it's no longer socking me in the face, just bitch-slapping me. Still predominantly leather, leather, leather. Something "else" subtly peeks through at times; don't think it's the pepper or the metal, so maybe it's 'hellfire?' Not sure what that is.

Verdict: I'm so relieved I got to try this at DD. I don't need a decant, much less a bottle. It's fun, and I'm super glad I got to try it, but yes, a blend I can do without. I don't think I've yet to try a BPAL blend w/ lime in it that I like. How funny. And I can't do blends w/ predominant leather notes simply because of how much my skin amps leather. But I loooooove the lab's leather note. Just don't like it if it covers everything else up.

Leather, metal, and a dark and spicy blast of something like vetiver that settled down to a smoldering background. Good scent, just not sure how often I'll wear it. Completely evocative of its subject, though :)

I so love this scent. Leather, but not like Dee leather -- more like fresh biker leather. Add to that polished metal and motor oil. To me, this is heaven.

And it lasts a really, really long time.

Edited by Gregory

Oh Sweet God...this is everything I dreamed it would be.

In the bottle I can smell the leather with a hint of metal. There's also a backdrop of lime *squees* Once it's on my skin, this blend is an awesome mix of leather, metal, black pepper, and LIME! I am a lime and leather person and this is just perfect both on myself and on my husband. It drives me nuts. To top it off, it lasts for a looong time on my skin.

This truly reminds me of really cheesy B-Horror films from the 80's, particularly Hello Mary Lou: Prom Night II. *hugs her bottle*

Edited by NeonGreen

Oh. That's leather? I thought I smelled some vetiver in this. Maybe that's the hellfire part? Mostly a very dark peppery leather scent, with some of that hellfire that smells like vetiver to me. There's a little smidgen of something that's probably lime in there, but I think this decant is kinda old at this point and the lime has probably faded somewhat.

Probably my favourite BPAL scent, all lime and pepper with just a glossy overtone of shiny black leather. This is a scent that feels big, strong, and wild! Not a ton of throw but very intense when close, it really stays glued to my skin for hours and has a super long wear time on me (6+ hours). It's also an oil that seemingly just gets better with age I've been nursing a bottle for 5 years and it just gets more peppery and citrus-y as time goes on. Truly a wonderful smell.